SUPPORT FILMTRACKS! CLICK HERE FIRST:
Amazon.com
Amazon.co.uk
iTunes (U.S.)
Amazon.ca
Amazon.fr
eBay (U.S.)
Amazon.de
Amazon.es
Half.com
Glisten Effect
Editorial Reviews
Scoreboard Forum
Viewer Ratings
Composers
Awards
   NEWEST MAJOR REVIEWS:
     1. Incredibles 2
    2. Solo: A Star Wars Story
   3. Deadpool 2
  4. Avengers: Infinity War
 5. A Quiet Place
6. Ready Player One
   CURRENT MOST POPULAR REVIEWS:
         1. Star Wars: The Last Jedi
        2. Gladiator
       3. Blade Runner 2049
      4. Batman
     5. Thor: Ragnarok
    6. The Avengers
   7. Spider-Man: Homecoming
  8. Avatar
 9. Dunkirk
10. Phantom Thread
Home Page
Menu Options ▼
Comments about the soundtrack for 300 (Tyler Bates)
300 was better than Titus...

Michael
<Send E-Mail>
(d142-59-49-107.abhsia.telus.net)


  Responses to this Comment:
Roman (formerly Rally V)
300 was better than Titus...   Tuesday, October 20, 2009 (10:42 p.m.) 

Even though Bates used Goldenthal's music, his usage of the music and the score as a whole was better than its usage in Titus. I found Titus to be a bit too weird for my liking.

That doesn't excuse Bates in any way, because I did like the album less once I found out the music wasn't entirely his, but I still enjoy it for music's sake, despite the controversy. I listen to score music for the music. Let the composers and the record companies deal with the controversies.


Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Roman (formerly Rally V)
(63.166.226.83)

  In Response to:
Michael
... from your point of view.   Wednesday, October 21, 2009 (5:40 a.m.) 
• Now Playing: Indiana Jones & Last Crusade - Williams  

> Even though Bates used Goldenthal's music, his usage of the music and the
> score as a whole was better than its usage in Titus. I found Titus to be a
> bit too weird for my liking.

I can see where you're coming from. Shakespeare Surreal isn't going to work for everyone. On top of that the play itself is a real doozy. For my money, Goldenthal did a great job in creating music that supported that world and the film itself. It takes a real skilled composer to pull it off, and to create something that is beautiful on top of it. The fact that Bates or the director liked the music enough to borrow it tells you that Goldenthal had created something with power outside of the film.

But the fact remains that "Titus" has more power and creativity in it than the whole of "300", both in film and the score. Bates could have created something really powerful and there are elements in the score that hint at what could have been done, but most of these come from Goldenthal's material.

Of course it's all personal preference, but I don't think you can argue that while "300" may be more entertaining (film and score), "Titus" is a better made and more intelligent product (score and to an extent the film).

> I listen to score music for the
> music. Let the composers and the record companies deal with the
> controversies.

I try to do the same with Yoko Kanno. I love the power of her music, but so much of it is borrowed that I feel dirty for enjoying it. Its a real puzzle.



Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display



Copyright © 1998-2018, Filmtracks Publications. All rights reserved.
The reviews and other textual content contained on the filmtracks.com site may not be published, broadcast,
rewritten or redistributed without the prior written authority of Christian Clemmensen at Filmtracks Publications. Scoreboard created 7/24/98 and last updated 4/25/15.