SUPPORT FILMTRACKS! CLICK HERE FIRST:
Amazon.com
Amazon.co.uk
iTunes (U.S.)
Amazon.ca
Amazon.fr
eBay (U.S.)
Amazon.de
Amazon.es
Half.com
Glisten Effect
Editorial Reviews
Scoreboard Forum
Viewer Ratings
Composers
Awards
   NEWEST MAJOR REVIEWS:
     1. Halloween
    2. Venom
   3. House With a Clock/Walls
  4. The Nun
 5. Crazy Rich Asians
6. The Meg
   CURRENT MOST POPULAR REVIEWS:
         1. Solo: A Star Wars Story
        2. Batman
       3. Jurassic World: Kingdom
      4. The Predator
     5. Edward Scissorhands
    6. Mission: Impossible - Fallout
   7. Christopher Robin
  8. Apollo 13
 9. Ant-Man and the Wasp
10. The Equalizer 2
Home Page
Menu Options ▼
Comments about the soundtrack for Alexander (Vangelis)
Many cues and themes are missing!

prasanth
<Send E-Mail>
(202-177-160-222.sify.net)


  Responses to this Comment:
S.Venkatnarayanan
Many cues and themes are missing!   Tuesday, August 15, 2006 (11:45 a.m.) 

First of all, GREAT Soundtrack by Vangelis! I would say better than 1492 since it works well in the movie and also shows his maturity! Sure, 1492 rocks but Alexander is also cool!

Like previous Vangelis soundtracks, this also suffers from the same problems: Many of the main cues and themes are missing! For example, when young Alexander is wrestling, a theme resembling Titans and Vangelis's earlier album Voices is heard, but not in the soundtrack! Likewise, many of the delicate themes are missing.The war sequence theme In India(when Alexander fights the local tribes) is great!(sounds like Lord of the Rings!)with choirs. That is also not present.

Most of the music from the CD is there. But more of the cues could have been included!

I could go on like this for hours! It is sad that Sony Classical choose not to release the soundtrack in all its entirety! Let's hope we get one of those "More music from Alexander" CD's released soon by Sony!Likewise, the entire soundtrack to 1492 should also be released!


Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


S.Venkatnarayanan
<Send E-Mail>
(219.65.105.79)
Profile Picture
  In Response to:
prasanth

  Responses to this Comment:
prasanth
Re: Many cues and themes are missing!   Monday, April 7, 2008 (7:53 p.m.) 

> First of all, GREAT Soundtrack by Vangelis! I would say better than 1492
> since it works well in the movie and also shows his maturity! Sure, 1492
> rocks but Alexander is also cool!

> Like previous Vangelis soundtracks, this also suffers from the same
> problems: Many of the main cues and themes are missing! For example, when
> young Alexander is wrestling, a theme resembling Titans and Vangelis's
> earlier album Voices is heard, but not in the soundtrack! Likewise, many
> of the delicate themes are missing.The war sequence theme In India(when
> Alexander fights the local tribes) is great!(sounds like Lord of the
> Rings!)with choirs. That is also not present.

> Most of the music from the CD is there. But more of the cues could have
> been included!

> I could go on like this for hours! It is sad that Sony Classical choose
> not to release the soundtrack in all its entirety! Let's hope we get one
> of those "More music from Alexander" CD's released soon by
> Sony!Likewise, the entire soundtrack to 1492 should also be released!

Hi, Prasanth, it's your close friend. I know you are die hard fan of Vangelis. You have mentioned that many cues and themes are missing, but if you just listen to the Track No.10 "Bagoas' Dance", it just slightly taken from the movie 'The Bourne Identity'. I am not kidding, you just watch the movie "The Bourne Identity" you will definitely agree with me.



Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


prasanth
<Send E-Mail>
(dsl-tn-dynamic-223.230.164.122.ai
rtelbroadband.in)

  In Response to:
S.Venkatnarayanan

  Responses to this Comment:
S.Venkatnarayanan
Re: Many cues and themes are missing!   Tuesday, April 8, 2008 (12:49 p.m.) 

> Hi, Prasanth, it's your close friend. I know you are die hard fan of
> Vangelis. You have mentioned that many cues and themes are missing, but if
> you just listen to the Track No.10 "Bagoas' Dance", it just
> slightly taken from the movie 'The Bourne Identity'. I am not kidding, you
> just watch the movie "The Bourne Identity" you will definitely
> agree with me.

My dear, dear friend, the "drum loop" which you are talking about has existed much before Vangelis and John Powell. However, I don't know who "invented" it...Anyone? much appreciated if someone could point out its source.


Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


S.Venkatnarayanan
<Send E-Mail>
(dialup-chennai-219.65.103.31.vsnl
.net.in)
Profile Picture
  In Response to:
prasanth

  Responses to this Comment:
Prasanth
let it be so, but.........   Thursday, April 10, 2008 (8:13 p.m.) 

> My dear, dear friend, the "drum loop" which you are talking
> about has existed much before Vangelis and John Powell. However, I don't
> know who "invented" it...Anyone? much appreciated if someone
> could point out its source.

So what, it doesn't matter it existed before Vangelis and Powell, but he has just "taken" it from unknown composer or inventor. SO, that's enough, baby. SHAME SHAME PUPPY SHAME! hi hi hi hi........



Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Prasanth
(dsl-tn-dynamic-075.227.164.122.ai
rtelbroadband.in)

  In Response to:
S.Venkatnarayanan

  Responses to this Comment:
S.Venkatnarayanan
Re: let it be so, but.........   Friday, April 11, 2008 (12:52 p.m.) 

> So what, it doesn't matter it existed before Vangelis and Powell, but he
> has just "taken" it from unknown composer or inventor. SO,
> that's enough, baby. SHAME SHAME PUPPY SHAME! hi hi hi hi........

Okay...that's it...At least I admitted that Vangelis did not compose this track.

I will not share my music collection with you until you edit this post properly. Learn some manners. If we begin talking about "plagiarism in music", our topic will never end and a really bad flame war would start...

(Message edited on Friday, April 11, 2008, at 12:58 p.m.)


Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


S.Venkatnarayanan
<Send E-Mail>
(219.65.105.21)
Profile Picture
  In Response to:
Prasanth

  Responses to this Comment:
prasanth
Learn some manners? O POOR BABY   Friday, April 11, 2008 (8:55 p.m.) 

> Okay...that's it...At least I admitted that Vangelis did not compose this
> track.

> I will not share my music collection with you until you edit this post
> properly. Learn some manners. If we begin talking about "plagiarism
> in music", our topic will never end and a really bad flame war would
> start...

Oh poor baby, don't get tensed, it's all part of the game, but still i will say SHAME SHAME PUPPY SHAME.



Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


prasanth
<Send E-Mail>
(abts-tn-dynamic-110.114.164.122.a
irtelbroadband.in)

  In Response to:
S.Venkatnarayanan

  Responses to this Comment:
S.Venkatnarayanan
Re: Learn some manners? O POOR BABY   Saturday, April 12, 2008 (3:08 a.m.) 

> Oh poor baby, don't get tensed, it's all part of the game, but still i
> will say SHAME SHAME PUPPY SHAME.

Okay...

please give me the name of one composer who can compose "original music"...

What about your famous John Williams or James Horner?

Were they not influenced by Mahler and Wagner to name a few? Everything is part of "the game"....However, your behaviour is rude and crude......This is not about Vangelis or any other composer. It's about your behavior...Since you like to generalize...We can keep talking about how John Williams or James Horner took pieces from classical/romantic composers and "changed them" to suit modern tastes.

SHAME ON YOU....PUPPY SHAME:)



Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


S.Venkatnarayanan
<Send E-Mail>
(219.65.105.6)
Profile Picture
  In Response to:
prasanth

  Responses to this Comment:
S.Venkatnarayanan
come on baby, influence differs from plagiarism   Sunday, April 13, 2008 (8:09 p.m.) 

Here the fun begins, You're here try to defend your favourite composer Vangelis and offend other composer. Come on baby, you should understand one valid point is that influence differs from plagiarism (please do read my review on "Home Alone", titled "Difference Plagiarism and Influence"). I tell you one thing, there is no point in blindly defending your Vangelis. You talk about John Williams and James Horner, but i am sorry to say that your Vangelis is nowhere near to John or James.

You're saying that these composers take pieces from romantic/classical composers and changed them to suit modern tastes, come on man, being a fan of music you can't say like that. Once you told me that that's the way music are composed. It suits not only to modern composers but also to romantic/classical composers.

Then, i talk about your favorite classical composers like Beethoven and Bach. Wasn't Beethoven influenced by the works of Mozart? Wasn't Bach influenced by the works of Vivaldi?. Here also, i know you will defend these composers. Please tell me the difference between "taken" and "Influence"?(note: "taken" never ever means Plagiarism)

So, my friend i do agree some of Vangelis' works are good but never ever compare him with Maestro John Williams or any other composer.

Note:What i mentioned above is all serious one and not to defend or offend any one?
But I CAN'T CONTROL MY MYSELF, SORRY BABY, STILL I WILL SAY "SHAME SHAME PUPPY SHAME". Oops,very important, DON'T CRY LIKE POOR BABY. HI HI HI HI.........


Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


S.Venkatnarayanan
(219.65.105.79)
Profile Picture
  In Response to:
S.Venkatnarayanan

  Responses to this Comment:
Prashanth
I apologize for my funny comments   Friday, April 18, 2008 (11:02 p.m.) 

I CAN'T CONTROL MY MYSELF, SORRY BABY, STILL I WILL SAY "SHAME
SHAME PUPPY SHAME". Oops,very important, DON'T CRY LIKE POOR BABY. HI
HI HI HI.........

Dear Friend,

I believe we had quite resentment between you and me for the past one week because of above comment posted a week ago. I do apologize for my funny comments over you. I never thought that you would become very serious about it. Anyhow, past is past, let us forget about it and have a good and healthy argument.

A few days ago, we had an long conversation on phone about Originality in music. I tell you one thing you won’t find 100% Originality anywhere in this world, especially in MUSIC. I always believe that 70% originality and 30% influence or inspiration. This will suit any composer in the world of music, let it be John Williams or Beethoven. I say its quite immature to argue about composers’ influence or borrowing. You may ask me why did you post ‘Vangelis took music from John Powell’? Yes, i did so, but my intention was to make fun of you and not to find fault with Vangelis.

I hope you can understand my argument and expecting good reply from you.

Let our friendship live forever and friendly advice to you is that be EGO-FREE. OK

Yours lovingly,

S.Venkatnarayanan



Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Prashanth
<Send E-Mail>
(dsl-tn-dynamic-086.225.164.122.ai
rtelbroadband.in)

  In Response to:
S.Venkatnarayanan

  Responses to this Comment:
S.Venkatnarayanan
Thanks a ton for your moving "Apology"!   Wednesday, April 23, 2008 (1:41 p.m.) 

> I CAN'T CONTROL MY MYSELF, SORRY BABY, STILL I WILL SAY "SHAME
> SHAME PUPPY SHAME". Oops,very important, DON'T CRY LIKE POOR BABY. HI
> HI HI HI.........

> Dear Friend,

> I believe we had quite resentment between you and me for the past one week
> because of above comment posted a week ago. I do apologize for my funny
> comments over you. I never thought that you would become very serious
> about it. Anyhow, past is past, let us forget about it and have a good and
> healthy argument.

> A few days ago, we had an long conversation on phone about Originality in
> music. I tell you one thing you won’t find 100% Originality anywhere in
> this world, especially in MUSIC. I always believe that 70% originality and
> 30% influence or inspiration. This will suit any composer in the world of
> music, let it be John Williams or Beethoven. I say its quite immature to
> argue about composers’ influence or borrowing. You may ask me why did you
> post ‘Vangelis took music from John Powell’? Yes, i did so, but my
> intention was to make fun of you and not to find fault with Vangelis.

> I hope you can understand my argument and expecting good reply from you.

> Let our friendship live forever and friendly advice to you is that be
> EGO-FREE. OK

> Yours lovingly,

> S.Venkatnarayanan

Great! thanks for reminding me that I am the only person in this whole world to have an "ego":). If all of us had no egos, "we" would not "exist" in the first place!

Let us go back a little....What was my first post about? it was never about Bagoas dance at all!!! I was only commenting about "the missing themes and cues" of music in the soundtrack CD's official release. That was all......

Then you commented about how similar "Bagoas Dance" and the track from "Bourne Identity" sounded. I admitted that and said that "the drum loop" you were referring about was older than both "Alexander" and "Bourne Identity". After that, you began flaming unnecessarily. There are many ways to speak to people. Unfortunately, I did not like your tone, though you might have felt it to be "humorous". And repeatedly, you ended your arguments with "I CAN'T CONTROL MY MYSELF, SORRY BABY, STILL I WILL SAY "SHAME SHAME PUPPY SHAME".

Is your knowledge of words limited only to that?

You may ask me why did you
> post ‘Vangelis took music from John Powell’? Yes, i did so, but my
> intention was to make fun of you and not to find fault with Vangelis.

Gee...great....thanks! you seem to have no respect for friendship at all!!!
We have always talked face to face, poked fun at each other etc.....But not in a comment posting section of the filmtracks site...Okay, fine..could you please "remove" all the comments you posted???? or for that matter, could i remove my comments??? NOPE!

This is not an open forum to discuss, flame or throw comments...Even in such forums, people who unnecessarily use irritating language or keep posting wise-ass comments get a ban.

You have said "I say its quite immature to
> argue about composers’ influence or borrowing.". Fine...where did I ever argue about any composers' influences or borrowings?????

I tell you one thing you won’t find 100% Originality anywhere in
> this world, especially in MUSIC.

Who's denying the above statement??? There is only a very thin "line" between influence and shameless plagiarism. There have been countless discussions of whether it's influence or plagiarism about the following musical numbers from:

1. Holst's "the Planets" and John Williams "Star Wars"
2. The "Willow" theme music and Schumann's "3rd Symphony" (1st movement)

and etc....etc.....etc.....

All music fans of (any particular composer) WILL get angry when someone points out that "this track by composer A resembles that track of composer B".

Admittedly, you're a big fan of Williams and Horner. Nothing wrong with that...but whenever I've tried to point out some kind of similarity between their music and another composer's music (say Mahler, Wagner or perhaps even Dvorak), you've only said "it's musical influence". Fine...In that case, "the Bagoas Dance track" and "Bourne Identity" track would also be "influenced", eh????

Look at the comment you posted "defending" John Williams for his "Phantom Menace" track:
http://www.filmtracks.com/comments/titles/phantom_menace/index.cgi?read=110

And look at the subject line of your response "I apologize for my funny comments" ....good show, chap! It's the hardest thing in the world to say "sorry" properly......even harder is admitting the fact that "I could be wrong".

So, my friend i do agree some of Vangelis' works are good but never ever compare him with Maestro John Williams or any other composer.

But I CAN'T CONTROL MY MYSELF, SORRY BABY, STILL I WILL SAY "SHAME SHAME PUPPY SHAME". Oops,very important, DON'T CRY LIKE POOR BABY. HI HI HI HI.........

Who's comparing Vangelis and Williams??? And you make it sound as if Williams has composed "extremely pure music" without any "kind of influence"

It's like that guy Stravinsky said "A good composer does not imitate; he steals." or even "Lesser artists borrow, great artists steal. "

So what, it doesn't matter it existed before Vangelis and Powell, but he has just "taken" it from unknown composer or inventor.

So are you saying that "if one composer copies music, it is called "plagiarism" and if another composer does it it's called "influence"?

And I'm also hoping that in the near future, you can control yourself and hold a much more mature conversation.

While the modern day composers make millions, their fans battle it out amongst themselves! Shame on all of us! And the worst irony of this whole discussion is that I'm not even a huge fan of Vangelis:).



Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


S.Venkatnarayanan
(219.65.105.166)
Profile Picture
  In Response to:
Prashanth

  Responses to this Comment:
prasanth
Yes, but still i don't agree with you   Wednesday, April 23, 2008 (8:58 p.m.) 

> Who's denying the above statement??? There is only a very thin
> "line" between influence and shameless plagiarism. There have
> been countless discussions of whether it's influence or plagiarism about
> the following musical numbers from:

> 1. Holst's "the Planets" and John Williams "Star Wars"
> 2. The "Willow" theme music and Schumann's "3rd
> Symphony" (1st movement)

First of all, thank you very much for accepting my apology and started a very good argument. You have mentioned in above statement that Williams borrowed from Holst, if you have time just listen both STAR WARS and THE PLANETS back to back, you'll definitely notice that not cues are borrowed but orchestration style is somewhat similar. In fact, it is quite natural in Western music. You should understand one thing that by using of Brass, Trumpets and Trombones by many composers, it doesn't mean all composers borrow music from others' works. It is quite ridiculous. Then there will be only one option, stop composing music

Please mention any one track that was composed by Williams or Horner that was "completely" taken from any of romantic/classical composers. for instance, "Star Wars", please mention one movement from Holst's "The Planets" that was completely similar to any tracks of "Star Wars" soundtrack. Please try to understand me, i am not defending John Williams, i am just defending music. That's all. If you think i am die hard fan of Williams then that's your mistake. I am fan of soundtracks and classical music. I adore and enjoy whoever compose good music.

Still, i say 70% Originality and 30% influence. I am eagerly waiting for your feedback.

I hope this could be healthy beginning for us to have good argument about music.

Reply soon.



Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


prasanth
<Send E-Mail>
(dsl-tn-dynamic-141.234.164.122.ai
rtelbroadband.in)

  In Response to:
S.Venkatnarayanan

  Responses to this Comment:
S.Venkatnarayanan
Whether you agree or not, the truth is the truth....   Thursday, April 24, 2008 (12:42 p.m.) 

> First of all, thank you very much for accepting my apology and started a
> very good argument. You have mentioned in above statement that Williams
> borrowed from Holst, if you have time just listen both STAR WARS and THE
> PLANETS back to back, you'll definitely notice that not cues are borrowed
> but orchestration style is somewhat similar. In fact, it is quite natural
> in Western music. You should understand one thing that by using of Brass,
> Trumpets and Trombones by many composers, it doesn't mean all composers
> borrow music from others' works. It is quite ridiculous. Then there will
> be only one option, stop composing music

> Please mention any one track that was composed by Williams or Horner that
> was "completely" taken from any of romantic/classical composers.
> for instance, "Star Wars", please mention one movement from
> Holst's "The Planets" that was completely similar to any tracks
> of "Star Wars" soundtrack. Please try to understand me, i am not
> defending John Williams, i am just defending music. That's all. If you
> think i am die hard fan of Williams then that's your mistake. I am fan of
> soundtracks and classical music. I adore and enjoy whoever compose good
> music.

> Still, i say 70% Originality and 30% influence. I am eagerly waiting for
> your feedback.

> I hope this could be healthy beginning for us to have good argument about
> music.

> Reply soon.

Well, first stop..read this thread:
http://www.filmtracks.com/comments/titles/willow/index.cgi?read=6

The theme seems to be "inspired" or rather Horner has taken liberties with the opening of Schumann's third symphony and "speeded" it up a bit....Not the entire theme, but you can recognize "Schumann" easily....

Willow opening theme (sample):
http://www.amazon.com/Willow-James-Horner/dp/B00000762Z/ref=sr_1_1/102-8026732-5091368?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1209064732&sr=1-1

Schumann 3rd Symphony (sample):
http://www.amazon.com/Robert-Schumann-Symphonies-Nos-1-4/dp/B0007PLKS4/ref=sr_1_16/105-8067226-9574803?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1209064937&sr=1-16

as for John Williams, well.....

http://www.filmtracks.com/comments/titles/jaws/index.cgi?read=20

Please note that we ARE NOT TAlking About A BIT BY BIT COPY of music.

You could agree and say "okay...there is atleast some similarity between the two themes" or you could blindly say "NO! The composer was only "inspired" by classical music"



Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


S.Venkatnarayanan
(dialup-chennai-219.65.103.144.vsn
l.net.in)
Profile Picture
  In Response to:
prasanth

  Responses to this Comment:
Prasanth
you didn't understand me   Thursday, April 24, 2008 (8:47 p.m.) 

> You could agree and say "okay...there is atleast some similarity
> between the two themes" or you could blindly say "NO! The
> composer was only "inspired" by classical music"

Ok, fine, but you didn't understand me properly. First of all, the biggest problem with you is that you just blindly believe in what critics or others' says, no my dear friend, that is totally wrong perception of music. You just hear by yourself and then come to conclusion. There are people in this world who do not have any good sense of hearing music, that's why the critics writes whatever they want, there won't be any sense in it and totally rubbish.

You know one thing, i deeply admire and appreciate modern composers( 20th Century composers) than romantic or classical composers. You should know why i have written like that because of mainly they are in modern era. It is not big surprise for me if anyone praises Beethoven or Mozart or Bach or Bruckner as all time best composers, because they had all the time in the world to compose symphony and concerts. As for as modern composers concern, nowadays, you know the world is fast,so there will be more pressure on the composers for writing a melody for different type of movies. And at the same time, it doesn't mean that they have to randomly copy others' works.

I am just replying to you because you have used very harsh words "Shameless Plagiarizing" others' works. In fact, you shouldn't have use those words because there is no meaning in it. In case if you say so you should provide proper evidence. Here i would like to tell some example, please do read the list below;

1.John Williams - don't you find any originality in music? yes of course you will find and name a few "Schindler's List or Amistad or HeartBeeps( very different one ) so just tell me don't you think he composed original themes for many movies without inspiring or plagiarizing others' works?

2.Thomas Newman - Innovator and creator. He produced new type of sound in film music. Don't he?

3.Hans Zimmer - He is king of using synthesizer and keyboards, he has just made revolution in film music

4.Howard shore - Of course, i don't have to tell any thing about him because you know him very well

5.Jerry Goldsmith - Majestic and grand
6.James Horner - Simple and elegant, moreover very melodious
7.Alan silvestri - Magnificient and excellent composer in film world
8.Vangelis - Though he's not favorite but still i appreciate and admire him bringing new ideas in film music.
And many more are there in this modern world who are talented and brilliant composer most probably i might have forgotten in the above mentioned list. Atleast you mention any composer in the above list are completely involving in Plagiarism. That's my question putting up to you.

I am eagerly waiting for your feed back.



Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Prasanth
<Send E-Mail>
(dsl-tn-dynamic-243.233.164.122.ai
rtelbroadband.in)

  In Response to:
S.Venkatnarayanan

  Responses to this Comment:
S.Venkatnarayanan
I understand you perfectly   Friday, April 25, 2008 (1:14 p.m.) 

> Ok, fine, but you didn't understand me properly. First of all, the biggest
> problem with you is that you just blindly believe in what critics or
> others' says, no my dear friend, that is totally wrong perception of
> music. You just hear by yourself and then come to conclusion. There are
> people in this world who do not have any good sense of hearing music,
> that's why the critics writes whatever they want, there won't be any sense
> in it and totally rubbish.

> You know one thing, i deeply admire and appreciate modern composers( 20th
> Century composers) than romantic or classical composers. You should know
> why i have written like that because of mainly they are in modern era. It
> is not big surprise for me if anyone praises Beethoven or Mozart or Bach
> or Bruckner as all time best composers, because they had all the time in
> the world to compose symphony and concerts. As for as modern composers
> concern, nowadays, you know the world is fast,so there will be more
> pressure on the composers for writing a melody for different type of
> movies. And at the same time, it doesn't mean that they have to randomly
> copy others' works.

> I am just replying to you because you have used very harsh words
> "Shameless Plagiarizing" others' works. In fact, you shouldn't
> have use those words because there is no meaning in it. In case if you say
> so you should provide proper evidence. Here i would like to tell some
> example, please do read the list below;

> 1.John Williams - don't you find any originality in music? yes of course
> you will find and name a few "Schindler's List or Amistad or
> HeartBeeps( very different one ) so just tell me don't you think he
> composed original themes for many movies without inspiring or plagiarizing
> others' works?

> 2.Thomas Newman - Innovator and creator. He produced new type of sound in
> film music. Don't he?

> 3.Hans Zimmer - He is king of using synthesizer and keyboards, he has just
> made revolution in film music

> 4.Howard shore - Of course, i don't have to tell any thing about him
> because you know him very well

> 5.Jerry Goldsmith - Majestic and grand
> 6.James Horner - Simple and elegant, moreover very melodious
> 7.Alan silvestri - Magnificient and excellent composer in film world
> 8.Vangelis - Though he's not favorite but still i appreciate and admire
> him bringing new ideas in film music.
> And many more are there in this modern world who are talented and
> brilliant composer most probably i might have forgotten in the above
> mentioned list. Atleast you mention any composer in the above list are
> completely involving in Plagiarism. That's my question putting up to you.

> I am eagerly waiting for your feed back.

Sorry, my friend, I understand you perfectly:).Like I said before, There are GOOD SOUNDTRACKS (Yes, John Williams,Horner and Howard Shore do Come up with some good stuff).

In the first place, I don't "blindly" believe the critics:)....I trust my ears a lot.....

> is not big surprise for me if anyone praises Beethoven or Mozart or Bach
> or Bruckner as all time best composers, because they had all the time in
> the world to compose symphony and concerts.

Sorry...but they had lots of pressure from their patrons(kings and lords).And they had to satisfy their musical fans....and don't forget they all had tight deadlines to work with...besides, they also had a lot of rivals.

Okay, just because you are under pressure to compose a soundtrack within a couple of weeks, do you blindly "take" themes from other composers and call them your own without even giving credit to these composers? Answer that!

I am not telling you to "bow down" to the classical composers. There are some good modern soundtracks. Yes, I have used "harsh" words....But then give some credit to the classical/Baroque/Romantic/Modern (20th century) composers....

Sad that you have not included Miklos Rozsa (Ben Hur, Quo Vadis), Korngold (Robin Hood, Captain Blood) or Elmer Bernstein (Ten Commandments) in your list.

Our argument will never end! You will support the soundtracks...I will support the "older crowd":)....no problems...You enjoy your music while I enjoy mine....

Goodbye!



Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


S.Venkatnarayanan
(219.65.105.59)
Profile Picture
  In Response to:
Prasanth
let us end here but let us continue in some....   Friday, April 25, 2008 (8:35 p.m.) 

> Okay, just because you are under pressure to compose a soundtrack within a
> couple of weeks, do you blindly "take" themes from other
> composers and call them your own without even giving credit to these
> composers? Answer that!

Yes, of course you are absolutely right, i have already mentioned in earlier post that due to pressure you can't plagiarize others' works. I know whom you're indirectly referring yes it is James Horner's TROY. I do agree that he had done greatest mistake in his life that directly uplifting the cues from Shostokovich 5th Symphony. As far as you are question here is my answer that it is not acceptable and even fans of modern composers would definitely ignore the composer those involve in plagiarism and myself admit that they are shameless creatures. But my argument here is which composer do you believe who directly uplift others' work and call them their own? for instance name some composers like John Williams, Jerry Goldsmith, Alan Sivestri, Thomas Newman, Howard shore and so on and on., I don't think these composers involving plagiarism merely, if that is going to the case then whole world would have ignored these composers. This is my argument.

> Sad that you have not included Miklos Rozsa (Ben Hur, Quo Vadis), Korngold
> (Robin Hood, Captain Blood) or Elmer Bernstein (Ten Commandments) in your
> list.

Don't feel sad, i think you forget to read what i have mentioned that there are many composers most probably i would have forgotten to mention in the list. Now i could recollect some good composers like John Debney, Alan Menken, Michael Kamen, Basil poledouris, David Arnold, Rachael Portman, James Newton Howard, Trevor Jones, Randy Edelman, Randy Newman, David Newman, Elliot Goldenthal, Ennio Morricone, Max Steiner,Patrick Doyle e.t.c.

> Our argument will never end! You will support the soundtracks...I will
> support the "older crowd":)....no problems...You enjoy your
> music while I enjoy mine....

You can't possess music. Nothing is yours or mine. All music are great.

> Goodbye!

Hey! stop here 'Good Bye', What do you mean by that? We have lot to discuss and argue. Come on I won't leave you. I think we have chance to communicate and express and exchange our thoughts through this website. Anyhow, i will give you an idea we just shift our BATTLE to our own E MAIL. Let us have discussion over there.

Main reason we are not having regular meeting between you and me, I believe this could help us sustain our FRIENDSHIP FOREVER.

ENJOY ALL THE MUSIC IN THE WORLD.

Good Bye to Mr.Alexander and Mr.Vangelis( as far as this particular post concern):D=

(Message edited on Friday, April 25, 2008, at 8:41 p.m.)


Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display



Copyright © 1998-2018, Filmtracks Publications. All rights reserved.
The reviews and other textual content contained on the filmtracks.com site may not be published, broadcast,
rewritten or redistributed without the prior written authority of Christian Clemmensen at Filmtracks Publications. Scoreboard created 7/24/98 and last updated 4/25/15.