SUPPORT FILMTRACKS! CLICK HERE FIRST:
Amazon.com
Amazon.co.uk
iTunes (U.S.)
Amazon.ca
Amazon.fr
eBay (U.S.)
Amazon.de
Amazon.es
Half.com
Glisten Effect
Editorial Reviews
Scoreboard Forum
Viewer Ratings
Composers
Awards
   NEWEST MAJOR REVIEWS:
     1. Transformers: Last Knight
    2. Cars 3
   3. The Mummy
  4. Wonder Woman
 5. POTC: Dead Men Tell No Tales
6. Alien: Covenant


   CURRENT BEST-SELLING SCORES:
       1. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
      2. Fantastic Beasts/Find Them
     3. Willow
    4. The Ghost and the Darkness
   5. An American Tail
  6. The Wind and the Lion
 7. Doctor Strange
8. 10 Cloverfield Lane
   CURRENT MOST POPULAR REVIEWS:
         1. Star Wars: Force Awakens
        2. E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial
       3. Titanic
      4. Avatar
     5. Nineteen Eighty-Four
    6. Gladiator
   7. Star Wars: A New Hope
  8. Animal Farm
 9. LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring
10. Harry Potter: Sorcerer's Stone
Home Page
Menu Options ▼
Comments about the soundtrack for Aliens (James Horner)
It's missing one thing..

Caerdwyn
<Send E-Mail>
(cache0.iro.ptd.net)


  Responses to this Comment:
Fernando Gimenez
It's missing one thing..   Tuesday, May 15, 2001 (10:05 a.m.) 

Glad to see a re-release of this music the way it was intended to be.

However, the only thing the "Deluxe Edition" is missing is the short percussion from when the marines were about to be loaded into the APC, on the Sulaco. I had hoped it would've made it onto this album. Ah well

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Fernando Gimenez
(193-152-182-125.uc.nombres.ttd.es)

  In Response to:
Caerdwyn

  Responses to this Comment:
Bryant Hinkle Opeil
Kevin Smith
Re: It's missing one thing..   Tuesday, May 15, 2001 (10:25 a.m.) 

> Glad to see a re-release of this music the way it was intended to be. > However, the only thing the "Deluxe Edition" is missing is the > short percussion from when the marines were about to be loaded into the > APC, on the Sulaco. I had hoped it would've made it onto this album. Ah > well Yeah, me too!!!! It's credited to an unknown composer, but I've seen so many times this masterpiece, that this cue surpasses, IMHO, what Horner had written instead (too happy, too Star-Trekkerish). Nevertheless a great, great score. For me the best Horner has ever written. The film is so enhanced by the music, that I can't hear any cue without actually seeing the images. Vey powerful and scary!!!!!! A must!!!!!!!


Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Bryant Hinkle Opeil
<Send E-Mail>
(ts11a61.esper.com)

  In Response to:
Fernando Gimenez

  Responses to this Comment:
Conor Mckeon
MRC
Levente Benedek
Danny French
Has anyone noticed?   Sunday, June 17, 2001 (8:46 p.m.) 

Has anyone noticed that "Resolution and Hyperspace" on the Deluxe CD is the same piece used in Die Hard I, where Karl bursts out of the Nakatomi building's doors and his gunned down by Powell. I've always thought that piece of music that can be heard in Die Hard one sounded as if Horner wrote it. I just thought that Michael Kamen was trying to be James Horner. I wonder why they had to use that specific piece in that movie?

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Conor Mckeon
<Send E-Mail>
(slarm1p16.ozemail.com.au)

  In Response to:
Bryant Hinkle Opeil

  Responses to this Comment:
Fernando Gimenez
Re: Has anyone noticed?   Sunday, June 17, 2001 (10:41 p.m.) 

> Has anyone noticed that "Resolution and Hyperspace" on the
> Deluxe CD is the same piece used in Die Hard I, where Karl bursts out of
> the Nakatomi building's doors and his gunned down by Powell. I've always
> thought that piece of music that can be heard in Die Hard one sounded as
> if Horner wrote it. I just thought that Michael Kamen was trying to be
> James Horner. I wonder why they had to use that specific piece in that
> movie?

Yes I always wondered about that. Actually when I first head the Aliens Soundtrack I recognised the music from Die Hard at that moment because I loved that movie man. But I'm pretty sure it's a horner peice.


Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Fernando Gimenez
<Send E-Mail>
(193-152-180-191.uc.nombres.ttd.es)

  In Response to:
Conor Mckeon

  Responses to this Comment:
Barry P
Re: Has anyone noticed?   Monday, June 18, 2001 (10:03 a.m.) 

> Yes I always wondered about that. Actually when I first head the Aliens
> Soundtrack I recognised the music from Die Hard at that moment because I
> loved that movie man. But I'm pretty sure it's a horner peice.

What´s even stranger is the fact that this same piece of music was actually used twice by Michael Kamen: once in Die hard as told, and the other ocassion being a film with Michael Douglas and Melanie Griffith about WWII (I don't remember the name) Funny huh? Does Kamen really love this piece or what? It's also worth mentioning that before this Aliens piece, you can hear in Die Hard also a piece by John Scott (from the film Man on fire)!!!!!


Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Barry P
(host213-106-214-10.no-dns-yet.ntl
i.net)

  In Response to:
Fernando Gimenez
Re: Has anyone noticed?   Saturday, August 4, 2001 (1:46 p.m.) 

this happens a lot in films.
The music from Aliens used in Die hard was probably a temp track that the director decided to keep in the finished film.
The same way Aliens used cues from the original Alien
and Alien used cues from Freud.

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


MRC
<Send E-Mail>
(dtm2-t7-1.mcbone.net)

  In Response to:
Bryant Hinkle Opeil
Re: Has anyone noticed? YEP!   Saturday, July 28, 2001 (1:05 p.m.) 

Hi

I always though that Horner did Die Hard and that he just took
this peace of Music like he often did. Krull,Star Trek II... etc.

SEEYA

MRC


Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Levente Benedek
<Send E-Mail>
(line-116-144.dial.matav.net)

  In Response to:
Bryant Hinkle Opeil

  Responses to this Comment:
Bondo321
score guy
Re:I know the amswer.   Friday, October 5, 2001 (1:48 p.m.) 

> Has anyone noticed that "Resolution and Hyperspace" on the
> Deluxe CD is the same piece used in Die Hard I, where Karl bursts out of
> the Nakatomi building's doors and his gunned down by Powell. I've always
> thought that piece of music that can be heard in Die Hard one sounded as
> if Horner wrote it. I just thought that Michael Kamen was trying to be
> James Horner. I wonder why they had to use that specific piece in that
> movie?

The answer is simple. Actually James Horner wrote a music for Die Hard but the director didn't liked it. Than camed Michael Kamen who took his music.

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Bondo321
<Send E-Mail>
(adsl-81-133-90.asm.bellsouth.net)

  In Response to:
Levente Benedek
Re:I know the amswer.   Thursday, July 25, 2002 (11:12 a.m.) 

> The answer is simple. Actually James Horner wrote a music for Die Hard but
> the director didn't liked it. Than camed Michael Kamen who took his music.

Wrong. Horner wrote nothing for Die Hard. Director John McTiernan didn't like what Kamen wrote for the finale, and opted for James Horner's unused finale for ALIENS.

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


score guy
<Send E-Mail>
(rdu57-250-121.nc.rr.com)

  In Response to:
Levente Benedek
I have a different answer from the horse's mouth   Saturday, July 27, 2002 (3:22 p.m.) 

> The answer is simple. Actually James Horner wrote a music for Die Hard but
> the director didn't liked it. Than camed Michael Kamen who took his music.

The cue by Horner at the end of Die Hard (1988) is completely identical to the one from Aliens (1986). Even if Horner had originally written an entire rejected score for Die Hard, he's never been so blattently "ripoffish" as to use an exact recording from his previous work (argue as you will). Die Hard director John McTiernan says on the DVD comentary track for the film that Kamen originally composed his own version for the climactic shooting scene but felt it didn't work so he quickly licensed Horner's piece from Aliens. This would have been easy considering both films are from 20th Century Fox.



Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Danny French
<Send E-Mail>
(ac9df4ab.ipt.aol.com)

  In Response to:
Bryant Hinkle Opeil
Re: Has anyone noticed?   Friday, January 25, 2002 (7:30 a.m.) 

Hi all,

I noticed the theft, and it surprised me. Horner is uncredited in Die Hard; and I see no reason why this cue had to be recycled into a different film. Michael Kamen, a composer for whom I don't usually have a lot of respect, put out a right belter of a score for Die Hard - one I don't think has been surpasses in the genre. Why did he receive a kick in the teeth at the last minute?

Danny

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Kevin Smith
(139.57.211.223)

  In Response to:
Fernando Gimenez
Re: It's missing one thing..   Tuesday, April 24, 2007 (6:25 a.m.) 

> Yeah, me too!!!! It's credited to an unknown composer, but I've seen so
> many times this masterpiece, that this cue surpasses, IMHO, what Horner
> had written instead (too happy, too Star-Trekkerish).
> Nevertheless a great, great score. For me the best Horner has ever
> written. The film is so enhanced by the music, that I can't hear any cue
> without actually seeing the images.
> Vey powerful and scary!!!!!! A must!!!!!!!

I disagree, the cue that Horner wrote is far superior. It's amazing how plain the drumming is compared with what Horner intended.

Watch it here and compare:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzgMzkmG2SM



Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display



Copyright © 1998-2017, Filmtracks Publications. All rights reserved.
The reviews and other textual content contained on the filmtracks.com site may not be published, broadcast,
rewritten or redistributed without the prior written authority of Christian Clemmensen at Filmtracks Publications. Scoreboard created 7/24/98 and last updated 4/25/15.