SUPPORT FILMTRACKS! CLICK HERE FIRST:
Amazon.com
Amazon.co.uk
iTunes (U.S.)
Amazon.ca
Amazon.fr
eBay (U.S.)
Amazon.de
Amazon.es
Half.com
Glisten Effect
Editorial Reviews
Scoreboard Forum
Viewer Ratings
Composers
Awards
   NEWEST MAJOR REVIEWS:
     1. Transformers: Last Knight
    2. Cars 3
   3. The Mummy
  4. Wonder Woman
 5. POTC: Dead Men Tell No Tales
6. Alien: Covenant


   CURRENT BEST-SELLING SCORES:
       1. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
      2. Fantastic Beasts/Find Them
     3. Willow
    4. The Ghost and the Darkness
   5. An American Tail
  6. The Wind and the Lion
 7. Doctor Strange
8. 10 Cloverfield Lane
   CURRENT MOST POPULAR REVIEWS:
         1. Star Wars: Force Awakens
        2. E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial
       3. Titanic
      4. Avatar
     5. Nineteen Eighty-Four
    6. Gladiator
   7. Star Wars: A New Hope
  8. Animal Farm
 9. LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring
10. Harry Potter: Sorcerer's Stone
Home Page
Menu Options ▼
Comments about the soundtrack for Batman Begins (Hans Zimmer/James Newton Howard)
an important detail about the film

Dan
<Send E-Mail>
(sinatra.fei.org)


  Responses to this Comment:
acehit
an important detail about the film   Tuesday, July 12, 2005 (11:24 a.m.) 

One important point needs to be made about this review: it was the intent of both Christopher Nolan and Warner Brothers that this film be a complete break from the previous Batman films made between 1989 and 1997. Although there is some similar imagery in the film (Batman on the rooftops, etc), this isn't "Batman 5". Those images exists in the film because they are iconic images of Batman from the source material, i.e. Batman comics. But after the monstrosity that was Batman & Robin, the studio wanted to get completely away from that series of pictures. Therefore it would have been inappropriate to use any of Elfman's or Goldenthal's themes in the score for a film that isn't related to the one in which that theme orginially appeared. I love Elfman's Batman themes, but if you're making a break you have to leave them behind.

Of course, that doesn't mean the new composer shouldn't try to create their own themes for the character, but that's not what I wanted to comment on.

I haven't heard the whole score yet in album context, but I have heard a significant bit of it on Cinemagic, and I have seen the film. Listening to the the score on the stereo, it's very unimpressive. Hearing it in the movie I thought it was acceptable. I agree with the review that it didn't add anything to the movie, but it didn't detract either. It was just there. It's possible Nolan simply didn't want an overwhelming score to distract from the images on screen. He is primarily a character-driven director after all.

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


acehit
<Send E-Mail>
(leic-cache-3.server.ntli.net)

  In Response to:
Dan

  Responses to this Comment:
Geo
Re: an important detail about the film   Saturday, July 16, 2005 (1:32 a.m.) 

I still think Burtons Batman is the best Batman ever! Maybe because of Elfmans superb score. However the soundtrack to this film should've been better, there was no signature love theme.

> One important point needs to be made about this review: it was the intent
> of both Christopher Nolan and Warner Brothers that this film be a complete
> break from the previous Batman films made between 1989 and 1997. Although
> there is some similar imagery in the film (Batman on the rooftops, etc),
> this isn't "Batman 5". Those images exists in the film because
> they are iconic images of Batman from the source material, i.e. Batman
> comics. But after the monstrosity that was Batman & Robin, the studio
> wanted to get completely away from that series of pictures. Therefore it
> would have been inappropriate to use any of Elfman's or Goldenthal's
> themes in the score for a film that isn't related to the one in which that
> theme orginially appeared. I love Elfman's Batman themes, but if you're
> making a break you have to leave them behind.

> Of course, that doesn't mean the new composer shouldn't try to create
> their own themes for the character, but that's not what I wanted to
> comment on.

> I haven't heard the whole score yet in album context, but I have heard a
> significant bit of it on Cinemagic, and I have seen the film. Listening to
> the the score on the stereo, it's very unimpressive. Hearing it in the
> movie I thought it was acceptable. I agree with the review that it didn't
> add anything to the movie, but it didn't detract either. It was just
> there. It's possible Nolan simply didn't want an overwhelming score to
> distract from the images on screen. He is primarily a character-driven
> director after all.


Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Geo
(leic-cache-1.server.ntli.net)

  In Response to:
acehit
Re: an important detail about the film   Saturday, July 29, 2006 (2:05 p.m.) 

I disagree. Batman Begins is by far more superior to anything Burton created. Burton's interpretation of Batman, while fun, was too campy and didn't take the source material seriously. It also didn't pay anywhere near enough attention to Batman's internal dichotomy of alter egos.

I personally think the signature theme from Burton's Batman is a great rousing piece of music. However, having listened to the entire Batman Begins score, I can say in all sincerity, that I think it's amazing - and it does have a signature love theme, that you may only appreciate upon a more detailed viewing of the picture.

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display



Copyright © 1998-2017, Filmtracks Publications. All rights reserved.
The reviews and other textual content contained on the filmtracks.com site may not be published, broadcast,
rewritten or redistributed without the prior written authority of Christian Clemmensen at Filmtracks Publications. Scoreboard created 7/24/98 and last updated 4/25/15.