SUPPORT FILMTRACKS! CLICK HERE FIRST:
Amazon.com
Amazon.co.uk
iTunes (U.S.)
Amazon.ca
Amazon.fr
eBay (U.S.)
Amazon.de
Amazon.es
Half.com
Glisten Effect
Editorial Reviews
Scoreboard Forum
Viewer Ratings
Composers
Awards
   NEWEST MAJOR REVIEWS:
     1. Incredibles 2
    2. Solo: A Star Wars Story
   3. Deadpool 2
  4. Avengers: Infinity War
 5. A Quiet Place
6. Ready Player One
   CURRENT MOST POPULAR REVIEWS:
         1. Star Wars: The Last Jedi
        2. Gladiator
       3. Blade Runner 2049
      4. Batman
     5. Thor: Ragnarok
    6. The Avengers
   7. Spider-Man: Homecoming
  8. Avatar
 9. Dunkirk
10. Phantom Thread
Home Page
Menu Options ▼
A few thoughts of my own (Agreed with CC)

OPMac
<Send E-Mail>
(cpe84948c9470e1-cm84948c9470e0.cp
e.net.cable.rogers.com)
Profile Picture

  Responses to this Comment:
Z. Nitram
A few thoughts of my own (Agreed with CC)   Sunday, April 3, 2016 (1:20 p.m.) 

-I found that for a score that tried so hard to maintain thematic continuity, it's weird that they didn't provide a more monstrous variation of the Zod theme from MOS to represent Doomsday. This was a ridiculously missed opportunity to show intelligence by Zimmer and his crew.

-FINALLY, ANOTHER PERSON WHO AGREES WITH ME ON MY OPINION OF THE WW THEME! I do not think it's a good fit at all. With a slower variation and some more mystique, it would have been an adequate Luthor theme.

-Jerry Goldsmith's cameo, as I've said before, trumps anything in this score, even when it's mixing isn't the best. The Master Smith of Gold will never fade away, and his legacy will be loved and remembered.

-Superman's theme not being featured prominently is nonsensical and ridiculous. He is a core aspect of the story, yet his theme is not featured in depth?

-Batman's theme is mundane, boring and completely tepid. The six note rhythm is a joke, and the progression of the motif is generic.

-I actually enjoy the Luthor idea more than CC, because it's silly and fun. However, it is rather forgettable and largely one dimensional.

-Sound design in a superhero score? Did Hans and co accidentally think they were scoring Michael Clayton?

-Surprised Clem thought that the score as written for the film was two stars. That's actually higher than what he gave for TASM 2 overall. Are you sure you don't want to re-review that Christian? You might be put in a better mood by it after listening to this junk.

-No. More. Tom. Holkenborg.

Please, Zimmer, please take on some solo projects in animation or dramas. I would love to hear Zimmer have fun with a score while letting his harmonic and melodic gifts shine. This score doesn't make me hate Hans, it makes me frustrated that he doesn't seem to be having fun at all. Sound design and bass pounding for 70+ minutes is not fun for anyone.


Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Z. Nitram
(79.sub-70-208-140.myvzw.com)
Profile Picture
  In Response to:
OPMac

  Responses to this Comment:
OPMac
Re: A few thoughts of my own (Agreed with CC)   Sunday, April 3, 2016 (3:11 p.m.) 

> -I found that for a score that tried so hard to maintain thematic
> continuity, it's weird that they didn't provide a more monstrous variation
> of the Zod theme from MOS to represent Doomsday. This was a ridiculously
> missed opportunity to show intelligence by Zimmer and his crew.

> -FINALLY, ANOTHER PERSON WHO AGREES WITH ME ON MY OPINION OF THE WW THEME!
> I do not think it's a good fit at all. With a slower variation and some
> more mystique, it would have been an adequate Luthor theme.

Idk about her character, so I can't touch on that. But I do think--even though the music itself is something I'd never listen to--that sometimes, even "inappropriate musical choices" can be executed right if the timing is spot on. And I think that BvS is so dull that by the time we hear WW's theme, it just has that "fire" (a badass quality) that the whole score is missing. It's a matter of the moment, not always but sometimes.

> -Jerry Goldsmith's cameo, as I've said before, trumps anything in this
> score, even when it's mixing isn't the best. The Master Smith of Gold will
> never fade away, and his legacy will be loved and remembered.

I still don't know where this is :/

> -Superman's theme not being featured prominently is nonsensical and
> ridiculous. He is a core aspect of the story, yet his theme is not
> featured in depth?

Agreed.

> -Batman's theme is mundane, boring and completely tepid. The six note
> rhythm is a joke, and the progression of the motif is generic.

Is it the one that goes "bawm...bawm...bawm-bawm-bawm-BaWm-BAWM"??? See what I did there? 'Cause many modern scores sound like that. Okay, nevermind, I'll stop now.

> -I actually enjoy the Luthor idea more than CC, because it's silly and
> fun. However, it is rather forgettable and largely one dimensional.

It stood out, but it's definitely not something that I can listen to and enjoy.

> -Sound design in a superhero score? Did Hans and co accidentally think
> they were scoring Michael Clayton?

Sound Design...it's fantastic! ....*rolls eyes*

> -Surprised Clem thought that the score as written for the film was two
> stars. That's actually higher than what he gave for TASM 2 overall. Are
> you sure you don't want to re-review that Christian? You might be put in a
> better mood by it after listening to this junk.

Nah, TASM2 review and rating are just fine.

> -No. More. Tom. Holkenborg.

YES, please. Let us pray that Zimmer actually stays away from Superhero scores, too, at least for the next couple of years.

> Please, Zimmer, please take on some solo projects in animation or dramas.
> I would love to hear Zimmer have fun with a score while letting his
> harmonic and melodic gifts shine. This score doesn't make me hate Hans, it
> makes me frustrated that he doesn't seem to be having fun at all. Sound
> design and bass pounding for 70+ minutes is not fun for anyone.

Hopefully, Hans will deliver on this year's upcoming Zimmer scores. I'm looking forward to "Inferno" more or less.

In my mind, there will never be a "true" Batman v. Superman until Warner Bros decides to use Williams' Superman March and pit it against Elfman's Batman theme lol


Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


OPMac
(172-110-66-149.dedicated.allstrea
m.net)
Profile Picture
  In Response to:
Z. Nitram

  Responses to this Comment:
Z. Nitram
Re: A few thoughts of my own (Agreed with CC)   Sunday, April 3, 2016 (4:09 p.m.) 

> Idk about her character, so I can't touch on that. But I do think--even
> though the music itself is something I'd never listen to--that sometimes,

> I still don't know where this is :/

Goldsmith's End Title for "Alien"

> Nah, TASM2 review and rating are just fine.

But...the fanfare theme...and the trumpets and woodwinds. It's not masterpiece, but it's good fun.

> YES, please. Let us pray that Zimmer actually stays away from Superhero
> scores, too, at least for the next couple of years.

> Hopefully, Hans will deliver on this year's upcoming Zimmer scores. I'm
> looking forward to 'Inferno' more or less.

Looking forward to that. His work on that fracnshise is always solid.

> In my mind, there will never be a 'true' Batman v. Superman until Warner
> Bros decides to use Williams' Superman March and pit it against Elfman's
> Batman theme lol

Oh.My.God.

That is my new musical fantasy.

Please, somebody, make this happen.

Williams vs. Elfman: Dawn of Proper Damn Superhero Scoring


Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Z. Nitram
(79.sub-70-208-140.myvzw.com)
Profile Picture
  In Response to:
OPMac

  Responses to this Comment:
OPMac
Re: A few thoughts of my own (Agreed with CC)   Sunday, April 3, 2016 (4:22 p.m.) 

> Goldsmith's End Title for 'Alien'

But where is that cameo in the BvS score??

> But...the fanfare theme...and the trumpets and woodwinds. It's not
> masterpiece, but it's good fun.

Parts of it are fun. My overall impression of that score, to me, is just no thanks. And I actually hate that trumpet theme :/

> Looking forward to that. His work on that fracnshise is always solid.

I'm reading Angels & Demons and I listen to Zimmer's score to help get drown out Tom Hanks' voice from my head whenever I read Langdon's lines lol

> Oh.My.God.

> That is my new musical fantasy.

> Please, somebody, make this happen.

> Williams vs. Elfman: Dawn of Proper Damn Superhero Scoring

I'll be waiting for this. Always. (and yes, that is an HP reference).

Z.


Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


OPMac
(172-110-66-149.dedicated.allstrea
m.net)
Profile Picture
  In Response to:
Z. Nitram

  Responses to this Comment:
Z. Nitram
Re: A few thoughts of my own (Agreed with CC)   Sunday, April 3, 2016 (4:49 p.m.) 

> But where is that cameo in the BvS score??

"New Rules" has the biggest variation on it. I don't feel like re-listening to the score, so you can discover it for yourself wink

> Parts of it are fun. My overall impression of that score, to me, is just
> no thanks. And I actually hate that trumpet theme :/

I think theme is catchy, but not as well rounded as Horner's, and thus Zimmer's choice to jettison Horner's themes is nonsense.

> I'll be waiting for this. Always. (and yes, that is an HP reference).

> Z.

When this DCEU gets fixed up, then I hope Elfman's themes and Williams' themes are utilized. The current themes by Zimmer and JXL are rather boring. Zimmer's theme doesn't make we want to fly like Superman and look hopeful for the future. JXL's Batman theme doesn't make me want to kick criminals out of my city (not that there are many here to begin with, but still).


Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Z. Nitram
(79.sub-70-208-140.myvzw.com)
Profile Picture
  In Response to:
OPMac
Re: A few thoughts of my own (Agreed with CC)   Sunday, April 3, 2016 (5:23 p.m.) 

> 'New Rules' has the biggest variation on it. I don't feel like
> re-listening to the score, so you can discover it for yourself wink

That's enough for me, thanks!

> I think theme is catchy, but not as well rounded as Horner's, and thus
> Zimmer's choice to jettison Horner's themes is nonsense.

Catchy, sure. I just don't think that theme is "obviously" Spidey.

> When this DCEU gets fixed up, then I hope Elfman's themes and Williams'
> themes are utilized. The current themes by Zimmer and JXL are rather
> boring. Zimmer's theme doesn't make we want to fly like Superman and look
> hopeful for the future. JXL's Batman theme doesn't make me want to kick
> criminals out of my city (not that there are many here to begin with, but
> still).

I would love to hear the themes by Elfman and Williams in a future film. It's just not going to happen :'( After I watched BvS yesterday, I remembered that I used to watch the Superman Animated Series. You need to hear that opening theme, it's amazing! I THINK Shirley Walker wrote it, idk, but Zimmer should have taken inspiration from that if he was going to avoid Williams' March.

Z.


Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display



Copyright © 1998-2018, Filmtracks Publications. All rights reserved.
The reviews and other textual content contained on the filmtracks.com site may not be published, broadcast,
rewritten or redistributed without the prior written authority of Christian Clemmensen at Filmtracks Publications. Scoreboard created 7/24/98 and last updated 4/25/15.