SUPPORT FILMTRACKS! CLICK HERE FIRST:
Amazon.com
Amazon.co.uk
iTunes (U.S.)
Amazon.ca
Amazon.fr
eBay (U.S.)
Amazon.de
Amazon.es
Half.com
Glisten Effect
Editorial Reviews
Scoreboard Forum
Viewer Ratings
Composers
Awards
   NEWEST MAJOR REVIEWS:
     1. Halloween
    2. Venom
   3. House With a Clock/Walls
  4. The Nun
 5. Crazy Rich Asians
6. The Meg
   CURRENT MOST POPULAR REVIEWS:
         1. Solo: A Star Wars Story
        2. Batman
       3. Jurassic World: Kingdom
      4. The Predator
     5. Edward Scissorhands
    6. Mission: Impossible - Fallout
   7. Christopher Robin
  8. Apollo 13
 9. Ant-Man and the Wasp
10. The Equalizer 2
Home Page
Menu Options ▼
Comments about the soundtrack for Catch Me If You Can (John Williams)
Williams is burned out!

Anonymous
(www.manhattan.gda.pl)


  Responses to this Comment:
Chris
james
Logan
Jonathon Park
Ken Applegate
Williams is burned out!   Friday, March 7, 2003 (11:47 a.m.) 

I have nothing more to add here. He should retire. His music is so boring and I can't stand it. My favourite film composer is Hans Zimmer. He is uniqe in Hollywood because he has European sensibility. Zimmer's compositions are full of emotions. What about Willims? His music is noisy and his fans are stupid, together with Clemmensen of course.

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Chris
<Send E-Mail>
(dialup-63.215.228.10.Dial1.Stamfo
rd1.Level3.net)

  In Response to:
Anonymous

  Responses to this Comment:
Amuro
Re: Williams is burned out!   Saturday, March 8, 2003 (6:38 a.m.) 

Thats rather rude remark to say. If u dont like Williams thats fine, but to say people that do are "stupid" is just uncalled for.
Respect other peoples opinions.

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Amuro
<Send E-Mail>
(12-223-195-207.client.insightBB.c
om)
Profile Picture
  In Response to:
Chris

  Responses to this Comment:
Adaam
Re: Williams is burned out!   Saturday, March 8, 2003 (8:19 a.m.) 

> Thats rather rude remark to say. If u dont like Williams thats fine, but
> to say people that do are "stupid" is just uncalled for.
>
Respect other peoples opinions.
OOOOK first of all, Williams retire? i think not! He is one of (if not the) most talented film composers in the film industry. and I agree with the person who posted the response before me. If you don't like williams thats fine but that is no reason to say that his fans are stupid. As for Hans Zimmer I agree his music is incredible and a breath of fresh air for Hollywood. But, by no means is he better than Williams. Williams' score for "Catch Me If You Can" is excellent and, this score is completely different from any other Williams score. The father's theme is incredible and this simply proves Williams' diversity in the film music industry, I mean look at Star Wars and then look at this score completely different. Plus I am a Saxophone Player so I am a sucker for this score.


Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Adaam
(212.235.107.163)

  In Response to:
Amuro

  Responses to this Comment:
Heather
Re: Williams is burned out!   Wednesday, April 23, 2003 (2:06 p.m.) 

As pointed loudly enough, your comment was without a doubt to 'brutel' and as was said, uncalled for.
Yes, Zimmer is indeed a wonderful composer, I personally love his work in "The Prince of Egypt". But, Williams is, without a doubt, one of the greates composers of the film industry, in general. Versable and simply brilliant. At one point a jezzy thriller such as in "Catch Me If You Can" and at the other hear-breaking piano and violin cuts as heard in "Schindler's List".
Now, see how easy it is to praise one composer without attacking the other and his fans. Life would have been so much easier thus.
Eitherway, I respect your prefrence and your adoration towards Zimmer (whom as I said, is a great one indeed) and even I respect your dislike towards the brilliant composer, John Williams, but if you do not mind, try to be less agressive next time.

-Adaam

P.S. Note, mentioning the a group is "stupid" for adoring an artist, does not show of great intellect or intellegence.



Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Heather
(6534118hfc49.swfla.rr.com)

  In Response to:
Adaam

  Responses to this Comment:
Thomas
Re: Williams is burned out!   Monday, May 26, 2003 (10:16 p.m.) 

I just have to get this out:
First, and foremost, don't bash other people's opinions. Just because you don't like something, doesn't mean others can't, and it certainly doesn't make them stupid.
Second, in your subject line, the word "burned" should be "burnt."
Third, and final, the first thing you typed out was, "I have nothing more to say here." If you had nothing more to say, why did you say more? That seems a bit moronic to me ...And you say we (those whom like Williams) are the stupid ones.

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Thomas
(ip68-104-99-247.lv.lv.cox.net)

  In Response to:
Heather

  Responses to this Comment:
Thomas W.
CS^TBL
Re: Williams is burned out!   Sunday, August 24, 2003 (8:06 a.m.) 

> I just have to get this out:
First, and foremost, don't bash other
> people's opinions. Just because you don't like something, doesn't mean
> others can't, and it certainly doesn't make them stupid.
Second, in
> your subject line, the word "burned" should be
> "burnt."
Third, and final, the first thing you typed out
> was, "I have nothing more to say here." If you had nothing more
> to say, why did you say more? That seems a bit moronic to me ...And you
> say we (those whom like Williams) are the stupid ones.
Ok, now I personally like Zimmer's scores, and his style of heavy brass/percussion writing, but to sit there and say that he's better than Williams (who is the beast film composer hollywood's ever had, not to metion one of the greatest american composers in history), AND call his fans stupid, is going way overboard. And if you want to argue so much about it, the just look at it the way of that Williams has one 5 oscars for coming up with completely entertaining and origional scores. But in recent years, the one oscar that Zimmer wrote, was for a movie, where the biggest cue of music was copied directly from Holts' "Mars: The Bringer of War". Thiis is Gladiator I'm talking about. And if you don't know classical music at all (which I'm sure you don't), go get a recording of The Planets and listen to Mars, then listen to "The Battle", or "Barbarian Herd". You'll see what I mean.

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Thomas W.
<Send E-Mail>
(pd9e55d44.dip.t-dialin.net)

  In Response to:
Thomas

  Responses to this Comment:
Bobby-Wayne Mathers
Ken Applegate
Re: Williams is burned out!   Thursday, October 2, 2003 (10:59 p.m.) 

You all seem to think that there can't be any doubt about Williams being the
better composer. Well I think Zimmer is because when Williams started composing
he didn't write anything new. He was another Jerry Goldsmith and another John
Barry just his stile was a little different. Here's Zimmer who was one of the first ones to use electronics and didn't need the orchestra all the time to
produce a great score.
John Williams received five oscars because he uses the orchestra and most critics like that because that's what they grew up with and they dislike most of
Zimmer's works because it's NEW and different and most critics don't want anything different than the orchestral scores composed by Williams and co.

Believe me Zimmer is at least as good as Williams and in my opinion better.

TOM



Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Bobby-Wayne Mathers
<Send E-Mail>
(150.176.38.254)

  In Response to:
Thomas W.

  Responses to this Comment:
TITO
Re: Williams is burned out!---Whatever!!!!!   Tuesday, March 16, 2004 (7:13 a.m.) 

Why...must it be one or the other????? Does either Williams or Zimmer have to be better? Why can't we all agree that the music from Gladiator was truly revolutionary and that the score for Catch Me if You Can is ingenious composition? Perhaps the works of these two fine composers bears likeness to others of their work or to the work of others... but in the end - is it really worth arguing over?????

I think not...

Call 1-800-why can't we all just get along!!!

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


TITO
<Send E-Mail>
(chello080108051124.9.11.vie.surfe
r.at)

  In Response to:
Bobby-Wayne Mathers

  Responses to this Comment:
David
Re: Williams is burned out!---Whatever!!!!!   Friday, May 7, 2004 (1:59 a.m.) 

ZIMMER IS NOT A COMPOSER

AND WILLIAMS IS A GENIUS IN EVERYTHING
somebody hwo tells williams is not good or has not an own style listens only to pop music and is a BIG IDIOT

Zimmers Music is like Pop music of Britney and Christina Aguilera

ITS #####!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


David
(pcp04401736pcs.nrockv01.md.comcas
t.net)
Profile Picture
  In Response to:
TITO

  Responses to this Comment:
JW Fan
Re: Williams is burned out!   Thursday, September 1, 2005 (6:21 p.m.) 

Alright, I will agree that John Williams has written some pretty good music in his day, but I am beginning to realize that he uses the exact same motifes in his music and when you really listen, his scores are practically the same music with a few different nuances. Just my two cents.

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


JW Fan
<Send E-Mail>
(spkdsl-116-111.cet.com)

  In Response to:
David
Re: Williams is burned out!   Sunday, January 29, 2006 (4:35 p.m.) 

What we need to stop doing is calling these people composers and give them the title that fits - arrangers. Williams has a genius for arranging. He has taken many works of art and arranged them to fit film. Great. At least that would be honest. But to go and receive huge and numerous awards as a composer of "original" music is craziness! I think that the awards should be revoked after an in-depth study.

By the way, comparing Williams to Tchaikovsky is asinine. Tchaikovsky only wrote 20-40 minute pieces? What planet are you on? He wrote multiple hour original works. You've heard of the Nutcracker? Swan Lake? Sleeping Beauty? These pieces by the way are without filler music that is used in every movie. For most movies you can boil the music down into about 10 - 15 minutes and the rest is repetition and background music.

By the way, I recently performed the Barbarian Hoard from Gladiator and there are some passages that seem lifted directly from the Planets and a section that is a blantant rip-off of the Baba Yaga movement from Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition. Everthing that is taken from another work sounds pretty cool and then it is obvious where the "composer" (arranger) tries to write original music to connect or fill-in the gaps because the music just isn't nearly as interesting.

For the people who want to put down those who are saying that music has been ripped off by saying that it isn't true or it isn't that important - I completely disagree. These people are making millions and winning the most coveted awards through plagiarism. It should be illegal.

It is at the very least disgusting to those who know and understand.

Please stop trying to put down people that have an education in music. There is nothing snooty about knowing a craft and knowing if someone's work is genuine. Maybe you guys would understand if I relate this whole debocle to your own work. I'm sure you'd be upset if McD's started selling flame broiled woppers and saying that they invented them. You'd all be on your blogs saying that they taste good but only because Brger Kng developed the specific strain of M@$!$G required to get that lipsmackin' taste. What if they won awards?

Stupid wasn't maybe the right thing to say for that Anonymous poster. I would prefer WILDLY IGNORANT.


Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Ken Applegate
<Send E-Mail>
(66-215-28-56.nwk-mres.charterpipe
line.net)

  In Response to:
Thomas W.
Re: Williams is burned out!   Thursday, July 1, 2004 (9:31 a.m.) 

Great, when Williams STARTED OUT, he didn't write anything new... gee, do you think he might have been playing the game (And what about his career after that?) ??? Those composers you mentioned were the best composers in Hollywood, at the time (and, it's stYle, not stile *S* [just messin' with ya, not tryin' ta be mean about]) Also, was Zimmer around when Star Trek the Motion picture was released?? As I recall, Jerry Goldsmith used a great deal of non-acoustic (aka electronic) instruments in that score. Ya see? Goldsmith used them 10 years before anybody ever heard of Zimmer.

Also, Zimmer seems to use the orchestra quite often, if I'm not too much mistaken. I have seen nothing to indicate that Hans didn't just follow the directors orders when he used his electronics. The idea behind film scoring is to please the audience AFTER you please the filmmakers. Case in point: Pirates (which Zimmer produced). One day, Jerry Bruckheimer (I'm sorry if I butchered his name) walks in and exclaims "If I hear any woodwinds in this score, you're all fired!!!" Naturally, I would have spat in the mans face, were he not paying me a million bucks to compose. I'm shure that Klaus felt the same way.

Now, if Zimmer could come up with a completely unrecycled and original tune AND do a good job of filling in the details like Williams does every damned time, then my opinion of Zimmer will go up. But, until he can do this on a regular basis, Williams will always be the overal better composer. Williams does so much more, so much better that Zimmer. That is probably the biggest motiviation for people caring more for Williams than Zimmer.

> You all seem to think that there can't be any doubt about Williams being
> the
better composer. Well I think Zimmer is because when Williams
> started composing
he didn't write anything new. He was another Jerry
> Goldsmith and another John
Barry just his stile was a little
> different. Here's Zimmer who was one of the first ones to use electronics
> and didn't need the orchestra all the time to
produce a great score.
>
John Williams received five oscars because he uses the orchestra and
> most critics like that because that's what they grew up with and they
> dislike most of
Zimmer's works because it's NEW and different and most
> critics don't want anything different than the orchestral scores composed
> by Williams and co.

> Believe me Zimmer is at least as good as Williams and in my opinion
> better.

> TOM


Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


CS^TBL
(62-221-215-55.dsl.fiberworld.nl)

  In Response to:
Thomas

  Responses to this Comment:
Ken Applegate
Re: Williams is burned out! <-- can we stop the Holst-comparison stuff now?   Wednesday, January 28, 2004 (3:34 a.m.) 

> Holts' "Mars: The Bringer of War". Thiis is Gladiator I'm

The Planets is a great piece, but do we really need to compare scores like Gladiator and Mythodea with The Planets all over again and again and again? It sounds almost as if ppl reacting like this want to make a statement: "I know The Planets, I know classical music, I'm cool"

Did anyone care that the shark-attack pulse in Jaws is kinda similar to the one in Le Sacre Du Printemps? I guess no-one does, it's a Spielberg film, it's an academy-award winner and it sortof marks the begin of a new filmmusic era. So, if you don't care about Jaws, then drop the "The Planets"-comparison for once..

Williams is a part of filmmusic history, nobody can ignore that fact. Zimmer might become a part of filmmusic history because he introduced synths and samplers to a scene where usually every sound comes from an orchestraplayer. Zimmer's early/mid 90's scores, are -to me- actually synth-tunes using orchestral samples. When listening to his 'notes', the trained ear will hear that the orchestral sounds are kinda typical. Usually an orchestrator wouldn't write such passages. I don't think that's bad btw, Crimson Tide is very good, and I'm generally not scared of synths and samplers. I'm also not the one who's complaining about the harsh metallic sounds Zimmer uses in his music, if some percussionist did that sound in an orchestra -using unconvential techniques etc.- nobody would have the arguement of the electronic harshness anymore.

When ppl start about self-ripoff stuff: imagine classical composers such as Tchaikowsky and try to get a list of the pieces he did (usually ranging in time from 20..40 minutes), now compare this list to composers like Williams who did hundreds of pieces lasting usually close to, or over an hour. Ofcourse, when you listen to Indiana Jones, you'll hear some themes from that period passing by, ET, Close encounters etc. Even today with Catch me, having a lil line from SW:AotC. Anyway, it's all _hidden_ in the score, only if you're a soundtrack-knowall you'll recognise it. I find that however less troublessome than Horner re-using his own and other's mainthemes (Beatiful Mind Bicentenial Man Sleeping with the Enemy (Jerry), Titanic Deep Impact, Land before Time Tchaikowsky (R&J) etc. etc.)

Don't forget Vangelis, when talking about early filmcomposers using synths and samplers.

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Ken Applegate
<Send E-Mail>
(66-215-28-56.nwk-mres.charterpipe
line.net)

  In Response to:
CS^TBL
Re: Williams is burned out! <-- can we stop the Holst-comparison stuff now?   Thursday, July 1, 2004 (9:14 a.m.) 

So what you're saying is that just because John Williams's "pulse" reminds you of a little known piece of music, the Holst comparison is invalid or shouldn't be addressed?? Listen, when you get a teeny little motive from somewhere else, like in Jaws, it's one thing. When you steal an entire section of thematic material from one of the most popular pieces in history (and then try to convince whoever watches the documentary that he was composing a Vienna-style waltz on steroids), it's completely different AND it will and SHOULD be addressed. That is just how it is. It doesn't have to mean somebody thinks that they're cool because they know something about Classical music, but it's just what they know. Human nature can be a terrible thing sometimes, but that's that way it is so try not to let it get you so edgy.

And, don't forget that The Death Star blowing up in A New Hope is very Mars-esque and I'm shure that I'll be able to give you several more refferences after I go watch the movie again to refresh my details and specifics.

> The Planets is a great piece, but do we really need to compare scores like
> Gladiator and Mythodea with The Planets all over again and again and
> again? It sounds almost as if ppl reacting like this want to make a
> statement: "I know The Planets, I know classical music, I'm
> cool"

> Did anyone care that the shark-attack pulse in Jaws is kinda similar to
> the one in Le Sacre Du Printemps? I guess no-one does, it's a Spielberg
> film, it's an academy-award winner and it sortof marks the begin of a new
> filmmusic era. So, if you don't care about Jaws, then drop the "The
> Planets"-comparison for once..

> Williams is a part of filmmusic history, nobody can ignore that fact.
> Zimmer might become a part of filmmusic history because he introduced
> synths and samplers to a scene where usually every sound comes from an
> orchestraplayer. Zimmer's early/mid 90's scores, are -to me- actually
> synth-tunes using orchestral samples. When listening to his 'notes', the
> trained ear will hear that the orchestral sounds are kinda typical.
> Usually an orchestrator wouldn't write such passages. I don't think that's
> bad btw, Crimson Tide is very good, and I'm generally not scared of synths
> and samplers. I'm also not the one who's complaining about the harsh
> metallic sounds Zimmer uses in his music, if some percussionist did that
> sound in an orchestra -using unconvential techniques etc.- nobody would
> have the arguement of the electronic harshness anymore.

> When ppl start about self-ripoff stuff: imagine classical composers such
> as Tchaikowsky and try to get a list of the pieces he did (usually ranging
> in time from 20..40 minutes), now compare this list to composers like
> Williams who did hundreds of pieces lasting usually close to, or over an
> hour. Ofcourse, when you listen to Indiana Jones, you'll hear some themes
> from that period passing by, ET, Close encounters etc. Even today with
> Catch me, having a lil line from SW:AotC. Anyway, it's all _hidden_ in the
> score, only if you're a soundtrack-knowall you'll recognise it. I find
> that however less troublessome than Horner re-using his own and other's
> mainthemes (Beatiful Mind Bicentenial Man Sleeping with the Enemy (Jerry),
> Titanic Deep Impact, Land before Time Tchaikowsky (R&J) etc. etc.)

> Don't forget Vangelis, when talking about early filmcomposers using synths
> and samplers.


Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


james
(dig-113.wcta.net)

  In Response to:
Anonymous

  Responses to this Comment:
Josh
Ken Applegate
Re: Williams is burned out!   Sunday, March 23, 2003 (9:51 p.m.) 

I think Zimmers music is louder.

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Josh
<Send E-Mail>
(dialup-219.168.220.203.acc01-high
-ben.comindico.com.au)
Profile Picture
  In Response to:
james
Re: Williams is burned out!   Friday, May 16, 2003 (5:33 a.m.) 

Really u are simply ststing your lack of brains by saying this man is burned out. Zimmer only occasionally squezes out a good score, something that is not wanted in the industry. Directors need reliability. Something Williams offers them. Even at his worst he is still astounding.

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Ken Applegate
<Send E-Mail>
(66-215-28-56.nwk-mres.charterpipe
line.net)

  In Response to:
james
Re: Williams is burned out!   Thursday, July 1, 2004 (9:00 a.m.) 

Wow, you're just trying to get us all riled up, aren't ya??*LOL*

> I think Zimmers music is louder.


Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Logan
<Send E-Mail>
(d213-103-159-63.cust.tele2.ch)

  In Response to:
Anonymous
Re: Williams is burned out! - JOHN WILLIAMS' music and boring?   Friday, January 9, 2004 (4:34 p.m.) 

> I have nothing more to add here. He should retire. His music is so boring
> and I can't stand it. My favourite film composer is Hans Zimmer. He is
> uniqe in Hollywood because he has European sensibility. Zimmer's
> compositions are full of emotions. What about Willims? His music is noisy
> and his fans are stupid, together with Clemmensen of course.

Greetings to all

Umm, as I've first read this very rude and respectless post of yours, Anonymous, I had to think that only a sick mind that just can't see things like they are could ever write something like these nonsense you have written. Just unbelievable what you have written about one of the most talented, greatest and very well respected composer of all time.

JOHN WILLIAMS' music and boring? These two words just don't fit together, pal. I asure you. More then likely you never heard even one piece of WILLIAMS' scores. Every composer has his own style. Every great composer is unique in Hollywood. But no one has the right to offend a great composer such as WILLIAMS is or the ones who adore his work. HANS ZIMMER has a very different approach to his music. Personally speaking I don't like his music very much, just 'cause it's too heavy and less harmonic. By my modest opinion, of course. But I respect him as a musician and as a person of course, as it always should be.

JOHN WILLIAMS is not only a composer. He belongs already to filmmusic history. I can't say the same for ZIMMER yet I'm afraid. Maybe he will too. Who knows. But he has to become much more better then WILLIAMS is, and I doubt that this will ever happen. No offense.

So, dear Anonymous. Try to be more polit and diplomatic when you lunch a critic or a very personal opinion. Otherwise you won't get any friends in here. So, don't make me angry again! You wouldn't like me when I'm angry!

Peace and greetings

Logan

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Jonathon Park
<Send E-Mail>
(cache-dl10.proxy.aol.com)

  In Response to:
Anonymous

  Responses to this Comment:
JS Park
Re: Williams is burned out!   Monday, February 16, 2004 (7:16 p.m.) 

> I have nothing more to add here. He should retire. His music is so boring
> and I can't stand it. My favourite film composer is Hans Zimmer. He is
> uniqe in Hollywood because he has European sensibility. Zimmer's
> compositions are full of emotions. What about Willims? His music is noisy
> and his fans are stupid, together with Clemmensen of course.

I like Hanz Zimmer pretty good but Jerry Goldsmith, Danny Elfman, Thomas Newman, Don Davis, and Howard Shore are my favorites. Their Music tantalizes and is much more interesting. It doesnt all sound the same (each composer's score I mean). Now I do realize that John Williams has written many many scores and hey, he has done very well considering. I have only written 3 myself, unofficial of course, and I realize it is very hard work. So I do give him some credit. And I do realize Thomas Newman's music all kinda runs together too and Don Davis's only good scores are for the Matrix. But Jerry, Danny, and Howard are just awesome. Oh and dont call people stupid, that aint cool.


Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


JS Park
<Send E-Mail>
(216-237-196-116-dslam1-hmc.norths
tate.net)

  In Response to:
Jonathon Park

  Responses to this Comment:
Ken Applegate
Re: Williams is burned out!   Saturday, June 19, 2004 (8:14 p.m.) 

> I like Hanz Zimmer pretty good but Jerry Goldsmith, Danny Elfman, Thomas
> Newman, Don Davis, and Howard Shore are my favorites. Their Music
> tantalizes and is much more interesting. It doesnt all sound the same
> (each composer's score I mean). Now I do realize that John Williams has
> written many many scores and hey, he has done very well considering. I
> have only written 3 myself, unofficial of course, and I realize it is very
> hard work. So I do give him some credit. And I do realize Thomas Newman's
> music all kinda runs together too and Don Davis's only good scores are for
> the Matrix. But Jerry, Danny, and Howard are just awesome. Oh and dont
> call people stupid, that aint cool.

I used to be jonathon park, but I am famously known as JS Park now, but anyway. SHore needs to go away, I hate his music. Lets ammend: Danny elfman ELliot GOldenthal, John Barry, Georges Delerue, and Thomas newman. Those are my favorite, in that order. Williams just needs to go, thats all

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Ken Applegate
<Send E-Mail>
(lsanca1-ar13-4-60-135-085.lsanca1
.dsl-verizon.net)

  In Response to:
JS Park
Re: Williams is burned out!   Friday, July 9, 2004 (10:04 a.m.) 

But, I don't think Howard Shore needs to go away. His music is alright, he does his best, and he's not a meany head about anything that I've heard about. Besides, the guy is in his 60's and the only film that I know of that he composed before Ring is "Big" (Tom Hanks's big break). If nothing else, he seems to have worked his patooty off and deserves his time in the business. If his music is bad enough, he will stop getting calls. I won't try to tell you to like his stuff, that would be about the dumbest thing that I've ever tried to do.

From the music that I've heard, he seems to be in a stage of writing alot like James Horner was when he wrote his two "Star Trek" soundtracks (although I prefer the Shore to the Horner any day of the week). Things that appear complex because of their simplicity on such a massive scale. Also, I have to commend him for manifesting a non-exhistant language. It seems to me that that would take a lot of thought and careful execution. Anywho, that's about all I'm going to say about that.

Happy listening,

Ken Applegate

Bye the way, Williams needs to just keep doing what he's doing. It seems to me that he will be a lot happier writing music that goes back to his Jazz roots (Catch Me and Terminal). Besides, if he does dumn stuff... the man is 72 years old and still doing a good job doing what he does best (and in my humble opinion, better than anybody.) A great deal of people don't even make it to their 70's. So, I think we can afford to cut him a little bit of slack.



Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Ken Applegate
<Send E-Mail>
(66-215-28-56.nwk-mres.charterpipe
line.net)

  In Response to:
Anonymous
Re: Williams is burned out!   Thursday, July 1, 2004 (8:56 a.m.) 

I hope to Christ that, for your sake, you are joking. If not, I will play your game. I love debating complete morons. Let's start with the fact that you remain nameless. This just tells me that you're a chicken-s#$%. 'Nuff said. Second. Your favorite composer. The real thing that is unique in Hollywood about Zimmer is that he doesn't know how to read music and his music is boring (I suppose James Horner is a close second on your list, right?.) He composes choral style melodies that a child could put out an do better with. Also, "European Sensiblity" ?? Are you trying to bury yourself?? I know quite a few European composers who would whip you with their walking sticks if you compared them to Zimmer. Zimmer composes the same old crapola time and time again. Example: Pirates (If you know Zimmer's writing, you will concede that there is no way he didn't at least compose the action theme in that film) is a direct blow from The Rock and also has a slightly more distant relationship with Tears of the Sun (although I think Tears is a pretty good score). Not to mention that HanS (this is for "Freak") is stuck up, in love with himself, and an unmasking thief of other peoples work (What I mean is, unlike Williams, the average listener can listen to Zimmer and know that he is not writing his own work [think him stealing an Olympic theme for Gladiator, I'll edit the title in later since I don't have the album with me] Williams actually makes an effort to put his own spin on the things that he takes).

So, what am I saying here?? Hans is unnoriginal, and emotionless. If you took the time to actually listen to Williams with an open mind, you would find more emotion, sensibility , and uniqueness than you'll ever need (Even European sensibility since in episode one, his march of the droid army is in the style of Gordon Jacob, and a lot of the original Star Wars episodes have Holst in the forefront). But you aren't going to do that because your mind is already made up. If you decide to take me up on this little challenge, why don't you try looking somewhere other than than just the "Marches" that he writes for the movies?

> I have nothing more to add here. He should retire. His music is so boring
> and I can't stand it. My favourite film composer is Hans Zimmer. He is
> uniqe in Hollywood because he has European sensibility. Zimmer's
> compositions are full of emotions. What about Willims? His music is noisy
> and his fans are stupid, together with Clemmensen of course.


Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display



Copyright © 1998-2018, Filmtracks Publications. All rights reserved.
The reviews and other textual content contained on the filmtracks.com site may not be published, broadcast,
rewritten or redistributed without the prior written authority of Christian Clemmensen at Filmtracks Publications. Scoreboard created 7/24/98 and last updated 4/25/15.