SUPPORT FILMTRACKS! CLICK HERE FIRST:
Amazon.com
Amazon.co.uk
iTunes (U.S.)
Amazon.ca
Amazon.fr
eBay (U.S.)
Amazon.de
Amazon.es
Half.com
Glisten Effect
Editorial Reviews
Scoreboard Forum
Viewer Ratings
Composers
Awards
   NEWEST MAJOR REVIEWS:
     1. Incredibles 2
    2. Solo: A Star Wars Story
   3. Deadpool 2
  4. Avengers: Infinity War
 5. A Quiet Place
6. Ready Player One
   CURRENT MOST POPULAR REVIEWS:
         1. Star Wars: The Last Jedi
        2. Gladiator
       3. Blade Runner 2049
      4. Batman
     5. Thor: Ragnarok
    6. The Avengers
   7. Spider-Man: Homecoming
  8. Avatar
 9. Dunkirk
10. Phantom Thread
Home Page
Menu Options ▼
Comments about the soundtrack for Cutthroat Island (John Debney)
The BEST finale EVER

STCAN
<Send E-Mail>
(r145h250.afo.net)


  Responses to this Comment:
David
Carlos
Amuro
Phil
Ethan R. Smith
The BEST finale EVER   Thursday, June 6, 2002 (11:41 a.m.) 

You have to hear it to believe it! I have listened to about 45 modern soundtracks and have yet to hear a finale as great as the one on C.I. By the time I finish listening to the final track on this score I walk away from my stereo with a big smile on my face . It's Only Gold/End Credits starts with peaceful orchestra and solo violin treading new ground on the soundtrack (this music appears nowhere else on the CD). It then moves to the themes that appeared elsewhere in the score, presenting them all in a grand manner. Then the track finally explodes for the last two minutes of the CD for the grandest of grand finales! (None of the last two minutes of music are anywhere else on the CD either) I am serious, It's Only Gold/End Credits is better than any finale I have ever listened to (i.e. S.W. Empire Strikes Back, S.W. Return of the Jedi, E.T., Independence Day, Stargate) and I believe that you will agree with me. And as far as uniqueness goes, I have found nothing similar to the music in this last track on any of the 45 soundtracks I have listened to.
None of this is to say that the rest of the score is only average. NOT AT ALL!! The finale is just a superb ending to suberb CD. Even without the finale C.I. would still be my favorite soundtrack.
DO NOT miss out on buying this CD!!!


Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


David
(207-bar2-x113.libre.retevision.es)
Profile Picture
  In Response to:
STCAN

  Responses to this Comment:
casespace
Re: The BEST finale EVER   Wednesday, July 31, 2002 (2:52 p.m.) 

How about 'The Rocketeer' finale (End Credits)??? It's great!!! That was a pretty good Horner!

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


casespace
<Send E-Mail>
(1cust171.tnt23.chiega.da.uu.net)

  In Response to:
David

  Responses to this Comment:
JnB
Re: Re: The BEST finale EVER   Saturday, November 30, 2002 (9:05 a.m.) 

> How about 'The Rocketeer' finale (End Credits)??? It's great!!! That was a
> pretty good Horner!

Thanks for the suggestion! I watched the movie and bought the soundtrack. I loved the finale (I'd give it 5 stars), but I must say I definitely liked the End Credits to Cutthroat Island more. I would be utterly shocked if someone could tell me about a better finale!

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


JnB
<Send E-Mail>
(h00045a2fa30e.ne.client2.attbi.co
m)

  In Response to:
casespace

  Responses to this Comment:
Josh
Re: Re: The BEST finale EVER   Tuesday, January 14, 2003 (6:02 p.m.) 

I've got to say, in my opinion the last two minutes of Independence Day may be the best two minutes of any film music ever, let alon an end credits suite. But it's just my opinion.

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Josh
(dsc01-oti-ca-2-230.rasserver.net)
Profile Picture
  In Response to:
JnB

  Responses to this Comment:
Phoney McRingRIng
Re: Re: The BEST finale EVER   Monday, May 19, 2003 (5:33 p.m.) 

> I've got to say, in my opinion the last two minutes of Independence Day
> may be the best two minutes of any film music ever, let alon an end
> credits suite. But it's just my opinion.

Um...I don't know about Cutthroat Island having the best finale. I thought that the "Escape, Chase, and Saying Goodbye" from E.T was the best. The last minute of music is simply awe-inspiring.


Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Phoney McRingRIng
(c24.159.198.29.roc.mn.charter.com)

  In Response to:
Josh

  Responses to this Comment:
CS^TBL
Dogan Bilge
casespace
Hmmm.... My favorites   Tuesday, August 26, 2003 (3:35 p.m.) 

Here's what me thinks:

1. E.T.'s "Escape/Chase/Good-bye": Has to be--BY FAR--the best musical finale to a film. Like most of Williams' music, you can actually SEE the movie from just hearing the music. Clocking in at 15 minutes, it includes most of the main themes from the film. Where it really gets me: on ET's line "I'll be right here." The music almost brings me to tears right there each time I hear it. Oh yeah, and the last minute or so has to be the most grandiloquent music ever written for film.

2. Close Encounters of the Third Kind's "The Visitors/Bye/End Titles": Second only to ET, the last ten minutes of Close Encounters is a film music lover's dream come true.

3. The Lord of the Rings: the Return of the King: I anticipate this to be one of the best finales in all film music.

Then, in no particular order:
Star Wars: A New Hope's "Throne Room and Finale"
Hook's "Farewell Neverland"
Raiders of the Lost Ark's "End Credits"
Jurassic Park's "Welcome to Jurassic Park"
Far and Away's "End Credits"
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets' "Reunion of Friends" note: better than Stone's "Leaving Hogwarts" -- "Friends" includes great themes dropped from the first soundtrack
Glory's "Preparations for Battle--Charging Fort Wagner--Epitaph for War"
Apollo 13's "Re-Entry and Splashdown"
Braveheart's "The Execution/Freedom!/Bannockburn"
The Lord of the Rings The Fellowship of the Ring's: "Breaking of the Fellowship"
The Lord of the Rings THe Two Towers': "Samwise the Brave"
Cutthroat Island's "It's Only Gold"
Edward Scissorhands' "Farewell...--The Grand Finale--The End"
The American President's "President Shephard" - (have to listen to the last 45 seconds at least 10 times in a row)

Also, if you're into big, loud orchestral/choral finales: the closings of Mahler's 2nd and 8th Symphonies are TRULY the two best closings ever.

-- Phoney McRingRing

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


CS^TBL
(1cust223.tnt28.rtm1.nld.da.uu.net)

  In Response to:
Phoney McRingRIng

  Responses to this Comment:
Phoney McRingRing
Re: Hmmm.... My favorites   Monday, September 1, 2003 (2:55 a.m.) 

The finale of Alien 3 is also much worth listening..! One of Goldenthal's most 'conventional' moments

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Phoney McRingRing
(p-proxy-4-int0.net.wisc.edu)

  In Response to:
CS^TBL
Re: Hmmm.... My favorites   Tuesday, September 2, 2003 (10:37 p.m.) 

> The finale of Alien 3 is also much worth listening..! One of Goldenthal's
> most 'conventional' moments

ooh, that one's good too... probably my favorite 3 minutes worth of his music.
- phoney

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Dogan Bilge
<Send E-Mail>
(212.253.219.229)

  In Response to:
Phoney McRingRIng
Re: Hmmm.... My favorites   Sunday, December 14, 2003 (2:54 a.m.) 

I completely agree on the line "I'll be right here". It brings me tears also every time I listen to it. It's a extraordinary final for an extraordinary film.

> Here's what me thinks:

> 1. E.T.'s "Escape/Chase/Good-bye": Has to be--BY FAR--the best
> musical finale to a film. Like most of Williams' music, you can actually
> SEE the movie from just hearing the music. Clocking in at 15 minutes, it
> includes most of the main themes from the film. Where it really gets me:
> on ET's line "I'll be right here." The music almost brings me to
> tears right there each time I hear it. Oh yeah, and the last minute or so
> has to be the most grandiloquent music ever written for film.

> 2. Close Encounters of the Third Kind's "The Visitors/Bye/End
> Titles": Second only to ET, the last ten minutes of Close Encounters
> is a film music lover's dream come true.

> 3. The Lord of the Rings: the Return of the King: I anticipate this to be
> one of the best finales in all film music.

> Then, in no particular order:
Star Wars: A New Hope's "Throne
> Room and Finale"
Hook's "Farewell Neverland"
>
Raiders of the Lost Ark's "End Credits"
Jurassic Park's
> "Welcome to Jurassic Park"
Far and Away's "End
> Credits"
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets' "Reunion
> of Friends" note: better than Stone's "Leaving Hogwarts" --
> "Friends" includes great themes dropped from the first
> soundtrack
Glory's "Preparations for Battle--Charging Fort
> Wagner--Epitaph for War"
Apollo 13's "Re-Entry and
> Splashdown"
Braveheart's "The
> Execution/Freedom!/Bannockburn"
The Lord of the Rings The
> Fellowship of the Ring's: "Breaking of the Fellowship"
The
> Lord of the Rings THe Two Towers': "Samwise the Brave"
>
Cutthroat Island's "It's Only Gold"
Edward Scissorhands'
> "Farewell...--The Grand Finale--The End"
The American
> President's "President Shephard" - (have to listen to the last
> 45 seconds at least 10 times in a row)

> Also, if you're into big, loud orchestral/choral finales: the closings of
> Mahler's 2nd and 8th Symphonies are TRULY the two best closings ever.

> -- Phoney McRingRing

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


casespace
<Send E-Mail>
(152.228.229.149)

  In Response to:
Phoney McRingRIng
Re: Hmmm.... My favorites   Wednesday, August 31, 2005 (5:17 p.m.) 

I was the one who originally started this thread over two years ago. In that time I have listened to maybe a hundred more soundtracks. I would have to say that "It's Only Gold/End Credits" still ranks up near the very top, though, I won't be quite as opinionated to say that it is without question the best ever. It is really hard to say whether "Escape/Chase/Good-bye" is indeed better, since it isn't as adrenaline pumping as C.I., but it is certainly the higher quality composition.

I would have to agree with the list made in the previous post. I am familiar almost all of those tracks, and agree with almost every single one of them. There is are a few missing, however, and that would be the finales from The Rocketeer, and Star Wars Episodes IV, V, and VI.

You were certainly right with your prediciton about LOTR: ROTK. It is indeed one of the best finales. It won't be as universally accepted as one of the best because of it's peaceful/reflective bent. The song, "Into the West" has to be one of the best songs ever in a movie. My only complaint is that the CD soundtrack does NOT have the same ending as the theatrical version! The arpeggiated chords at the end build to a much more fulfilling conclusion. I sure hope they release an expanded version of the LOTR soundtracks!

Oh yeah, and I'm also a big fan of Mahler. The finale to Symphony no.8 is totally awesome. I personally also love the finale to Symphony no.7.

...> Here's what me thinks:

> 1. E.T.'s "Escape/Chase/Good-bye": Has to be--BY FAR--the best
> musical finale to a film. Like most of Williams' music, you can actually
> SEE the movie from just hearing the music. Clocking in at 15 minutes, it
> includes most of the main themes from the film. Where it really gets me:
> on ET's line "I'll be right here." The music almost brings me to
> tears right there each time I hear it. Oh yeah, and the last minute or so
> has to be the most grandiloquent music ever written for film.

> 2. Close Encounters of the Third Kind's "The Visitors/Bye/End
> Titles": Second only to ET, the last ten minutes of Close Encounters
> is a film music lover's dream come true.

> 3. The Lord of the Rings: the Return of the King: I anticipate this to be
> one of the best finales in all film music.

> Then, in no particular order:
Star Wars: A New Hope's "Throne
> Room and Finale"
Hook's "Farewell Neverland"
>
Raiders of the Lost Ark's "End Credits"
Jurassic Park's
> "Welcome to Jurassic Park"
Far and Away's "End
> Credits"
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets' "Reunion
> of Friends" note: better than Stone's "Leaving Hogwarts" --
> "Friends" includes great themes dropped from the first
> soundtrack
Glory's "Preparations for Battle--Charging Fort
> Wagner--Epitaph for War"
Apollo 13's "Re-Entry and
> Splashdown"
Braveheart's "The
> Execution/Freedom!/Bannockburn"
The Lord of the Rings The
> Fellowship of the Ring's: "Breaking of the Fellowship"
The
> Lord of the Rings THe Two Towers': "Samwise the Brave"
>
Cutthroat Island's "It's Only Gold"
Edward Scissorhands'
> "Farewell...--The Grand Finale--The End"
The American
> President's "President Shephard" - (have to listen to the last
> 45 seconds at least 10 times in a row)

> Also, if you're into big, loud orchestral/choral finales: the closings of
> Mahler's 2nd and 8th Symphonies are TRULY the two best closings ever.

> -- Phoney McRingRing


Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Carlos
<Send E-Mail>
(80.58.2.235.proxycache.rima-tde.n
et)

  In Response to:
STCAN
Re: The BEST finale EVER   Friday, May 30, 2003 (2:41 p.m.) 

Hello. all the themes that you tell about are great themes and finales. no doubt about it. but i would suggest one that, in my opninion, maybe is the best finale, or one of the best. have you listened "end credits" from Broughton´s Tombstone?. listen to it and then you tell me what you think. it´s incredible. please listen to it....

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Amuro
(12-222-16-223.client.insightbb.co
m)
Profile Picture
  In Response to:
STCAN
Re: The BEST finale EVER   Monday, February 2, 2004 (6:35 p.m.) 

> You have to hear it to believe it! I have listened to about 45 modern
> soundtracks and have yet to hear a finale as great as the one on C.I. By
> the time I finish listening to the final track on this score I walk away
> from my stereo with a big smile on my face . It's Only Gold/End Credits
> starts with peaceful orchestra and solo violin treading new ground on the
> soundtrack (this music appears nowhere else on the CD). It then moves to
> the themes that appeared elsewhere in the score, presenting them all in a
> grand manner. Then the track finally explodes for the last two minutes of
> the CD for the grandest of grand finales! (None of the last two
> minutes of music are anywhere else on the CD either) I am serious, It's
> Only Gold/End Credits is better than any finale I have ever listened to
> (i.e. S.W. Empire Strikes Back, S.W. Return of the Jedi, E.T.,
> Independence Day, Stargate) and I believe that you will agree with me. And
> as far as uniqueness goes, I have found nothing similar to the music in
> this last track on any of the 45 soundtracks I have listened to.
>
None of this is to say that the rest of the score is only average. NOT
> AT ALL!! The finale is just a superb ending to suberb CD. Even without the
> finale C.I. would still be my favorite soundtrack.
DO NOT miss
> out on buying this CD!!!

I liked the finale to "Sommersby", I thought that was a great way to end the score, I havent seen the film, but the score is my fav. (I just ordered CutThroat Island a couple of hours ago, so with luck I'll have it in a week). But I like how most of the score is in the minor, and then the last two tracks are rather major, its a genius move by Elfman!

Amuro

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Phil
(82-42-35-47.cable.ubr03.knor.blue
yonder.co.uk)

  In Response to:
STCAN
Re: The BEST finale EVER   Wednesday, August 24, 2005 (4:43 p.m.) 

> Dont forget David Arnolds Godzilla Promo Album part 15 The End.....absulutley brilliant:D

Have a soft spot for Randy Newmans pleasantville finale as well

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Ethan R. Smith
<Send E-Mail>
(ip70-171-220-139.tc.ph.cox.net)
Profile Picture
  In Response to:
STCAN
Re: The BEST finale EVER   Friday, August 17, 2012 (10:57 p.m.) 

This ranks up there.

But "The Empire Strikes Back" has the best film music finale of all time. Bar none. The last 20 minutes of it is always a wonderful journey that always breaks my heart and has me screaming for the characters. And the end credits are unparalleled.



Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display



Copyright © 1998-2018, Filmtracks Publications. All rights reserved.
The reviews and other textual content contained on the filmtracks.com site may not be published, broadcast,
rewritten or redistributed without the prior written authority of Christian Clemmensen at Filmtracks Publications. Scoreboard created 7/24/98 and last updated 4/25/15.