SUPPORT FILMTRACKS! CLICK HERE FIRST:
Amazon.com
Amazon.co.uk
iTunes (U.S.)
Amazon.ca
Amazon.fr
eBay (U.S.)
Amazon.de
Amazon.es
Half.com
Glisten Effect
Editorial Reviews
Scoreboard Forum
Viewer Ratings
Composers
Awards
   NEWEST MAJOR REVIEWS:
     1. Transformers: Last Knight
    2. Cars 3
   3. The Mummy
  4. Wonder Woman
 5. POTC: Dead Men Tell No Tales
6. Alien: Covenant


   CURRENT BEST-SELLING SCORES:
       1. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
      2. Fantastic Beasts/Find Them
     3. Willow
    4. The Ghost and the Darkness
   5. An American Tail
  6. The Wind and the Lion
 7. Doctor Strange
8. 10 Cloverfield Lane
   CURRENT MOST POPULAR REVIEWS:
         1. Star Wars: Force Awakens
        2. E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial
       3. Titanic
      4. Avatar
     5. Nineteen Eighty-Four
    6. Gladiator
   7. Star Wars: A New Hope
  8. Animal Farm
 9. LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring
10. Harry Potter: Sorcerer's Stone
Home Page
Menu Options ▼
Comments about the soundtrack for Dick Tracy (Danny Elfman)
Wow, was this review misguided.

Eric
(adsl-67-126-98-134.dsl.snfc21.pac
bell.net)


  Responses to this Comment:
dmw
cuckoo77
Wow, was this review misguided.   Thursday, February 5, 2004 (2:13 a.m.) 

I don't know. I go to film school (SFSU) and Dick Tracy was one of the films viewed in one of the film courses I took about style and cinematic asthetics. I even read some reviews from the 1990's about this film and it was well-received. Highlights of the score was even adopted and performed by many metropolitan philharmonics in the 90's. The film even garnered Oscar-nominations for Al Pacino for Supporting Actor, Vittorio Storaro (Cinematography) of Apocalypse Now, Milena Canonero (Costume Design) and Sound. It also won, and rightfully so, for Richard Sylbert's Production Design, not to mention Best Make-Up and Best Song for Pulitzer Prize/Tony-winning composer, Stephen Sondheim.

The pairing of Stephen Sondheim and Danny Elfman couldn't have been more inspired. Elfman paired up again with another musical theatre giant, or giants rather, with Kander & Ebb for Chicago.

You can check out the Oscar history of Dick Tracy here http://awardsdatabase.oscars.org/ampas_awards/DisplayMain.jsp?curTime=1075974480606 It's even got a 78% at Rotten Tomatoes http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/DickTracy-1029314/reviews.php.

I stopped reading the reviews here because our reviewer seems to be so misguided about some of the films he blurbs about with his score reviews, and I usually disagree with him anyway about his reviews on the scores. I go here to find out what's out to buy when it comes to Soundtracks. I read this because I think the score for Dick Tracy is Elfman's bravest and most colorful work.

My two cents. For what it's worth.

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


dmw
(69-161-81-110.bflony.adelphia.net)

  In Response to:
Eric
Re: Wow, was this review misguided.   Thursday, February 5, 2004 (7:06 a.m.) 

I couldnt agree more

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


cuckoo77
<Send E-Mail>
(h24-207-93-76.cst.dccnet.com)
Profile Picture
  In Response to:
Eric
Re: Wow, was this review misguided.   Saturday, September 12, 2009 (11:13 a.m.) 

> I stopped reading the reviews here because our reviewer seems to be so
> misguided about some of the films he blurbs about with his score reviews,
> and I usually disagree with him anyway about his reviews on the scores. I
> go here to find out what's out to buy when it comes to Soundtracks. I read
> this because I think the score for Dick Tracy is Elfman's bravest and
> most colorful work.

> My two cents. For what it's worth.

it's a shame you stopped reading the reviews here for the reason that you usually disagree with Christian. Sure, yes, he all too often does get his film history incorrect, but his knowledge of the scores almost always spot on and that should be the part that matters. I actually quite enjoy reading the reviews that I disagree with, it makes me look at the score from a different view and sometimes it takes the score down a notch and sometimes it raises it. I would think i would lost interest in reading reviews that I agree with.....but that's me.

As for Dick Tracy? It's an enjoyable quick listen for me. Of the many themes Elfman's written, that one is the one that is constantly stuck in my head for some reason. But in the end, Christian's 3 stars are pretty much what i'd give it too.

and that's my two cents


Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display



Copyright © 1998-2017, Filmtracks Publications. All rights reserved.
The reviews and other textual content contained on the filmtracks.com site may not be published, broadcast,
rewritten or redistributed without the prior written authority of Christian Clemmensen at Filmtracks Publications. Scoreboard created 7/24/98 and last updated 4/25/15.