SUPPORT FILMTRACKS! CLICK HERE FIRST:
Amazon.com
Amazon.co.uk
iTunes (U.S.)
Amazon.ca
Amazon.fr
eBay (U.S.)
Amazon.de
Amazon.es
Half.com
Glisten Effect
Editorial Reviews
Scoreboard Forum
Viewer Ratings
Composers
Awards
   NEWEST MAJOR REVIEWS:
     1. Incredibles 2
    2. Solo: A Star Wars Story
   3. Deadpool 2
  4. Avengers: Infinity War
 5. A Quiet Place
6. Ready Player One
   CURRENT MOST POPULAR REVIEWS:
         1. Star Wars: The Last Jedi
        2. Gladiator
       3. Blade Runner 2049
      4. Batman
     5. Thor: Ragnarok
    6. The Avengers
   7. Spider-Man: Homecoming
  8. Avatar
 9. Dunkirk
10. Phantom Thread
Home Page
Menu Options ▼
Comments about the soundtrack for Enemy at the Gates (James Horner)
Enemy at the Gates

Andrew Abrahamson
<Send E-Mail>
(1cust195.tnt5.everett.wa.da.uu.ne
t)


  Responses to this Comment:
Gary
Jack Douglas
Enemy at the Gates   Friday, February 16, 2001 (1:06 p.m.) 

I have been looking forward to the movie ever since I first saw the trailer but have been reading all the mixed reviews on it and am not sure what to expect. The same goes for the score. But the movie doesnt come out stateside until March 23. Just curious what you thought of it, or anyone else who has seen it other than Christian. The fact that they dont have accents really bugs me, I would opt for native tongues with subtitles, but we all know that no producer is about to do that...oh well.

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Gary
<Send E-Mail>
(sprint56k160.greene.xtn.net)

  In Response to:
Andrew Abrahamson

  Responses to this Comment:
Andrew Abrahamson
Re: Enemy at the Gates   Friday, February 16, 2001 (4:37 p.m.) 

> I have been looking forward to the movie ever since I first saw the
> trailer but have been reading all the mixed reviews on it and am not sure
> what to expect. The same goes for the score. But the movie doesnt come out
> stateside until March 23. Just curious what you thought of it, or anyone
> else who has seen it other than Christian. The fact that they dont have
> accents really bugs me, I would opt for native tongues with subtitles, but
> we all know that no producer is about to do that...oh well.

Where have you been reading reviews of this film, especially since it doesn't come out until March 23?

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Andrew Abrahamson
<Send E-Mail>
(evrtwa1-ar5-245-035.dsl.gtei.net)

  In Response to:
Gary

  Responses to this Comment:
Fernando Gimenez
Re: Enemy at the Gates   Saturday, February 17, 2001 (12:49 a.m.) 

> Where have you been reading reviews of this film, especially since it
> doesn't come out until March 23?

Well several German critics have posted opinions on the movies, the majority of which have been pretty negative, and also some US sites have released some feelings on the screenings of the movie and those have all came out likewise. So what I was curious was finding out about how people who have seen the movie that arent professional critics felt about it. Namely Christian for as far as I know he is the only person that has seen it this early. I am still hoping for the best, but we may have to wait for Pearl Harbor for the next decent WWII film.


Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Fernando Gimenez
<Send E-Mail>
(193-153-147-126.uc.nombres.ttd.es)

  In Response to:
Andrew Abrahamson

  Responses to this Comment:
Andrew Abrahamson
Re: Enemy at the Gates   Saturday, February 17, 2001 (8:52 a.m.) 

> Well several German critics have posted opinions on the movies, the
> majority of which have been pretty negative, and also some US sites have
> released some feelings on the screenings of the movie and those have all
> came out likewise. So what I was curious was finding out about how people
> who have seen the movie that arent professional critics felt about it.
> Namely Christian for as far as I know he is the only person that has seen
> it this early. I am still hoping for the best, but we may have to wait for
> Pearl Harbor for the next decent WWII film.

Pearl Harbor a decent film? or letīs put it this way , a Michael Bay Film, a decent film? Since when?. After suffering Armaggedon, I see this film as another videoclip with no real characters or plot. As for the music, I've been hearing that Horner makes use of Williams's Schindler list theme. Any comments on the subject?


Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Andrew Abrahamson
<Send E-Mail>
(c888642-a.sttln1.wa.home.com)

  In Response to:
Fernando Gimenez

  Responses to this Comment:
Trygve
Pearl Harbor   Sunday, February 18, 2001 (7:52 p.m.) 

> Pearl Harbor a decent film? or letīs put it this way , a Michael Bay Film,
> a decent film? Since when?. After suffering Armaggedon, I see this film as
> another videoclip with no real characters or plot. As for the music, I've
> been hearing that Horner makes use of Williams's Schindler list theme. Any
> comments on the subject?

haha, yea I know your kind. Just because its Bay its going to be a popcorn flick. Thats just too bad. I am still not going to defend him, but if he has ever had a chance to make something meaningful and worthwhile this is it. The only downsides I think he has is the cast, but its not so bad that I it will destroy any chance of a quality film emerging. I really think that all you Bay haters are gonna be eating your own asses come memorial day. And even if I am wrong Zimmer is gonna do something special for the film. As for the Enemy at the Gates score, yea, yea , yea, he rehashed his old work. But it does sound like he has something that may be alright here. And that ole little Schindlers piece you are talking about, you might just be pulling for something to bring against Horner. I highly doubt he will copy that theme. I am hoping for the best.

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Trygve
(async214-14.nas.onetel.net.uk)

  In Response to:
Andrew Abrahamson
Re: Pearl Harbor   Sunday, March 25, 2001 (9:35 a.m.) 

> And even if I am wrong Zimmer is gonna do something special for the
> film.

According to the London Independent last Friday, Zimmer was so dismayed with Pearl Harbor that he refused to compose any new music for it. Instead he, reportedly, rehashed the Thin Red Line score.

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Jack Douglas
<Send E-Mail>
(sanduser1003.bossig.com)

  In Response to:
Andrew Abrahamson

  Responses to this Comment:
Ricco-sama
Joshua Blackman
Christina Lindemann
Re: Enemy at the Gates   Sunday, June 10, 2001 (2:05 p.m.) 

I just thought this was the best war movie I had seen since Ted Turner's "Gettysburg." I think a lot of Americans have trouble with the story because there are no Americans in it, but the tale of the Battle of Stalingrad and the sniper duel that erupted is a fantastic story of resolve, courage and human tragedy. The characters of Vasili Zaitsev and Major Konigs were very well portrayed in the movie. I also thought the re-creation of the battle was excellent in that the scenery made you sort of feel you were there. The crossing across the Volga River by the Red Army troops was better done than the storming of Normandy on D-Day in "Saving Private Ryan," although I suspect many of my fellow Americans had trouble identifying with a battle of wits between foreign armies and foreign snipers. Too bad. They missed a real thriller.

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Ricco-sama
<Send E-Mail>
(cache-wit.cableinet.co.uk)

  In Response to:
Jack Douglas
Re: Enemy at the Gates   Sunday, June 17, 2001 (6:11 a.m.) 

> I just thought this was the best war movie I had seen since Ted Turner's
> "Gettysburg." I think a lot of Americans have trouble with the
> story because there are no Americans in it, but the tale of the Battle of
> Stalingrad and the sniper duel that erupted is a fantastic story of
> resolve, courage and human tragedy. The characters of Vasili Zaitsev and
> Major Konigs were very well portrayed in the movie. I also thought the
> re-creation of the battle was excellent in that the scenery made you sort
> of feel you were there. The crossing across the Volga River by the Red
> Army troops was better done than the storming of Normandy on D-Day in
> "Saving Private Ryan," although I suspect many of my fellow
> Americans had trouble identifying with a battle of wits between foreign
> armies and foreign snipers. Too bad. They missed a real thriller.

Well Jack, you do seem to have a point there. A lot of people seem to ignore any film which does not feature their nationality. Its a sad acse wherever it is becasue, as you said, they miss some real good films, books, whatever.

Myself, I have not seen Enemy at the Gates, because it hasn't been released yet in this country. But, when it comes out, I will watch it, becasue it features one of the most interesting war, to em at elast.

I've thought of a reason why some people may not like films not to do with their nationality. It could be ebcasue the other people are so different. The Germans in EATG are fighting for the Vaterland(fatherland), and the right for 'living space' from what their leaders regard as inferior peoples (that wasn't the case with all Germans, I must point out). The Soviets, ont he other hand, are part of an organisation which does not care if thousands die in a single battle, as long as the rodina(motherland) survives in the end. Both nations are were ruled by dictators, and both basicly say 'the ends justify the means'. Not like the British, the Americans, Candaians, Australians, etc. whose politicns made promises, and had to keep them, or were attacked, and had to show people they meant business.

So its a case of ideoligies(s/p), wouldn't you say?

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Joshua Blackman
(ironbark.services.adelaide.edu.au)

  In Response to:
Jack Douglas
Re: Enemy at the Gates   Tuesday, September 11, 2001 (4:37 p.m.) 

>was better done than the storming of Normandy on D-Day in
>"Saving Private Ryan,"

I know this may be straying off the score a bit, but SPR is a better movie
and the opening of EATG is nowhere near the Omaha beach landing, but EATG
is still a good movie, just not a great one.


Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Christina Lindemann
<Send E-Mail>
(ca01-ch03-bl06.accel.pas.earthlin
k.net)

  In Response to:
Jack Douglas
Re: Enemy at the Gates   Thursday, December 11, 2003 (11:06 p.m.) 

Boogieman will get you!

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display



Copyright © 1998-2018, Filmtracks Publications. All rights reserved.
The reviews and other textual content contained on the filmtracks.com site may not be published, broadcast,
rewritten or redistributed without the prior written authority of Christian Clemmensen at Filmtracks Publications. Scoreboard created 7/24/98 and last updated 4/25/15.