SUPPORT FILMTRACKS! CLICK HERE FIRST:
Amazon.com
Amazon.co.uk
iTunes (U.S.)
Amazon.ca
Amazon.fr
eBay (U.S.)
Amazon.de
Amazon.es
Half.com
Glisten Effect
Editorial Reviews
Scoreboard Forum
Viewer Ratings
Composers
Awards
   NEWEST MAJOR REVIEWS:
     1. Halloween
    2. Venom
   3. House With a Clock/Walls
  4. The Nun
 5. Crazy Rich Asians
6. The Meg
   CURRENT MOST POPULAR REVIEWS:
         1. Solo: A Star Wars Story
        2. Batman
       3. Jurassic World: Kingdom
      4. The Predator
     5. Edward Scissorhands
    6. Mission: Impossible - Fallout
   7. Christopher Robin
  8. Apollo 13
 9. Ant-Man and the Wasp
10. The Equalizer 2
Home Page
Menu Options ▼
Comments about the soundtrack for The Fan (Hans Zimmer)
Christian, You have no idea! - READ THIS!!

Sebastian Moon
<Send E-Mail>
(gateway.techpac.com)


  Responses to this Comment:
Tomek
Doug C.
Ed
Christian, You have no idea! - READ THIS!!   Tuesday, November 30, 2004 (8:55 p.m.) 

Okay, The Fan to me is a good but flawed film, it is definetely not a bad film though. Robert De Niro gave a standout performance, but what really tied it all together was Hans Zimmer's perfect score, which should really be the second main character. As with all of Hans's scores he captures emotions that are hidden, all of his music has subtext, depth and feeling that can only be glorified and enhanced by sound and music.
Zimmer's music especially in The Fan is playing De'Niro's character, he is expressing the character's subconscious, and conscious situation.

Christian and other non Zimmer fans, you have always criticized and dissed Hans's music for how it sounds, but did you ever think there is a reason and a purpose for why it sounds like it does? - Did you ever realise that film music is conveying and acting as the story and character?

The Fan score easily ranks in the Top 10 of Zimmer scores, it's a true shame this score has received the attack it has been given.
Perhaps one day you'll understand what film music is all about.

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Tomek
<Send E-Mail>
(pb138.glucholazy.sdi.tpnet.pl)

  In Response to:
Sebastian Moon
I agree   Wednesday, December 1, 2004 (2:04 a.m.) 

> Okay, The Fan to me is a good but flawed film, it is definetely not a bad
> film though. Robert De Niro gave a standout performance, but what really
> tied it all together was Hans Zimmer's perfect score, which should really
> be the second main character. As with all of Hans's scores he captures
> emotions that are hidden, all of his music has subtext, depth and feeling
> that can only be glorified and enhanced by sound and music.
Zimmer's
> music especially in The Fan is playing De'Niro's character, he is
> expressing the character's subconscious, and conscious situation.

> Christian and other non Zimmer fans, you have always criticized and dissed
> Hans's music for how it sounds, but did you ever think there is a reason
> and a purpose for why it sounds like it does? - Did you ever realise that
> film music is conveying and acting as the story and character?

> The Fan score easily ranks in the Top 10 of Zimmer scores, it's a true
> shame this score has received the attack it has been given.
Perhaps
> one day you'll understand what film music is all about.

It is very good film and I agree that Zimmer's score is a second main character. I'd even say that Zimmer's score is DeNiro's conscience, in some way Zimmer comments by his music DeNiro's choices which he makes and also in some way is his 'lawyer' . Just listen to "Fan Poem" - a truly fine poem that is commented by emotional music by Zimmer. And I agree that it ranks at least in Top-10 of Zimmer's scores. A pity that rewiever haven't noticed its advantages.

P.S. Does anyone know who wrote the "Fan Poem"?

Tomek



Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Doug C.
<Send E-Mail>
(wbar15.tmp1-4-8-041-217.tmp1.dsl-
verizon.net)

  In Response to:
Sebastian Moon

  Responses to this Comment:
Tomek
I agree...what a terribly lazy review   Wednesday, December 1, 2004 (8:17 a.m.) 

This is one of Hans Zimmer's best score and a score that was really quite unique in its day.

To say there are no themes is just careless. The main theme is played over opening credits. It is one of the most unusually beautiful themes I have ever heard for a film. It is almost like a lullaby/salute to the "memory" of the great days of baseball. It is played in the film at key times to give a perfect juxtaposition to why Deniro acts the way he does. The theme sometimes flows directly into Zimmer's psycho theme.

Deniro's memory of how perfect the game was has been twisted. His personal life is going down the toilet and the game of baseball is all he has left. When he discovers even his hero does not care about the game anymore, how fans are so fair weathered, it is the final straw for him. Therefore, the lullaby turns into a nightmare for him (as does the music).

The music also has some gorgeously sad cello work in it.

Sure the movie is not perfect and the ending is weak. However, it has these strengths: some absolutely beautiful music and cinematograpy that set the stage for most of today's thrillers (including Seven).

Remember that this movie came out I believe around '94 and '95. It was not well received, but I think the masses missed the point.

You also have to give Zimmer credit for following up the Lion King with this score. A complete departure.

-Doug



Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Tomek
<Send E-Mail>
(bxz182.neoplus.adsl.tpnet.pl)

  In Response to:
Doug C.
Re: I agree...what a terribly lazy review   Wednesday, December 1, 2004 (9:47 a.m.) 

> This is one of Hans Zimmer's best score and a score that was really quite
> unique in its day.
> To say there are no themes is just careless. The main theme is played over
> opening credits. It is one of the most unusually beautiful themes I have
> ever heard for a film. It is almost like a lullaby/salute to the
> "memory" of the great days of baseball. It is played in the film
> at key times to give a perfect juxtaposition to why Deniro acts the way he
> does. The theme sometimes flows directly into Zimmer's psycho theme.
> Deniro's memory of how perfect the game was has been twisted. His personal
> life is going down the toilet and the game of baseball is all he has left.
> When he discovers even his hero does not care about the game anymore, how
> fans are so fair weathered, it is the final straw for him. Therefore, the
> lullaby turns into a nightmare for him (as does the music).
> The music also has some gorgeously sad cello work in it.
> Sure the movie is not perfect and the ending is weak. However, it has
> these strengths: some absolutely beautiful music and cinematograpy that
> set the stage for most of today's thrillers (including Seven).
> Remember that this movie came out I believe around '94 and '95. It was not
> well received, but I think the masses missed the point.
> You also have to give Zimmer credit for following up the Lion King with
> this score. A complete departure.
> -Doug

I agree with Your every word. Exactly: careless. I think that this text was written after just one listening to the score, just to fill up the lack of this review in Zimmer's filmography... Complete misunderstanding of music, film and its point.

As for Seven, I believe it rather was inversely - Seven is from 1995 and The Fan from 1996. Whereas The Fan is very good movie, Seven is a class of its own, no doubt about it. And both gain much from their particular scores

Tomek

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Ed
(dsl-80-46-135-40.access.uk.tiscal
i.com)

  In Response to:
Sebastian Moon

  Responses to this Comment:
Sebastian Moon
Hang on a Minute!   Sunday, December 5, 2004 (11:48 a.m.) 

So what happens, if this 'Second Character'is not played well?

You say all of what the music is supposed to convey in the film, but if it is FLAWED - people dont treat it at all seriously..just like the music.

Think about it.

> Okay, The Fan to me is a good but flawed film, it is definetely not a bad
> film though. Robert De Niro gave a standout performance, but what really
> tied it all together was Hans Zimmer's perfect score, which should really
> be the second main character. As with all of Hans's scores he captures
> emotions that are hidden, all of his music has subtext, depth and feeling
> that can only be glorified and enhanced by sound and music.
Zimmer's
> music especially in The Fan is playing De'Niro's character, he is
> expressing the character's subconscious, and conscious situation.

> Christian and other non Zimmer fans, you have always criticized and dissed
> Hans's music for how it sounds, but did you ever think there is a reason
> and a purpose for why it sounds like it does? - Did you ever realise that
> film music is conveying and acting as the story and character?

> The Fan score easily ranks in the Top 10 of Zimmer scores, it's a true
> shame this score has received the attack it has been given.
Perhaps
> one day you'll understand what film music is all about.


Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Sebastian Moon
<Send E-Mail>
(gateway.techpac.com)

  In Response to:
Ed
Re: Hang on a Minute!   Sunday, December 5, 2004 (8:41 p.m.) 

> So what happens, if this 'Second Character'is not played well?

> You say all of what the music is supposed to convey in the film, but if it
> is FLAWED - people dont treat it at all seriously..just like the music.

> Think about it.
Zimmer's
Perhaps

The movie is not perfect as hardly is any movie, but one of the elements that along with De Niro's acting is excellent is Hans Zimmer's score that is far from flawed, it's perfect!.

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display



Copyright © 1998-2018, Filmtracks Publications. All rights reserved.
The reviews and other textual content contained on the filmtracks.com site may not be published, broadcast,
rewritten or redistributed without the prior written authority of Christian Clemmensen at Filmtracks Publications. Scoreboard created 7/24/98 and last updated 4/25/15.