1. Transformers: Last Knight

1. Star Wars: Force Awakens
        2. E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial
     5. Nineteen Eighty-Four
   7. Star Wars: A New Hope
  8. Animal Farm
 9. LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring
Comments about the soundtrack for Finding Nemo (Thomas Newman)
I've never heard Thomas Newman

(12-222-158-77.client.insightbb.co

J. Eric Dietrich
I've never heard Thomas Newman   Saturday, May 31, 2003 (2:57 p.m.)

I've never heard anything by Thomas Newman is he good?

J. Eric Dietrich
(104.cpe.atlantabroadband.com)

Amuro
Not much of a score fan, are you?   Saturday, May 31, 2003 (3:46 p.m.)

> I've never heard anything by Thomas Newman is he good?

(12-222-158-77.client.insightbb.co
J. Eric Dietrich

Adam P.
Re: Not much of a score fan, are you?   Saturday, May 31, 2003 (9:05 p.m.)

I am a huge score fan. I just listen to more music by James Horner and John Williams. I will have to give this a try as well as "Road to Perdition". But I am a huge score fan I want to be a film composer so I have to be a big score fan...

Adam P.
(pcp02347484pcs.manass01.va.comcas
t.net)

Amuro
You know who you should get into is....   Tuesday, June 3, 2003 (6:27 p.m.)

I just listen to more music by James Horner and John
> Williams.

The composer who has inspired me to write music for movies once out of college is Hans Zimmer. Do a search for the soundtracks Crimson Tide and Gladiator, and i promise that you won't be dissappointed!! PROMISE!!!!!!

(12-222-158-77.client.insightbb.co
Adam P.

Ommadawn
Re: You know who you should get into is....   Tuesday, June 3, 2003 (7:51 p.m.)

> I just listen to more music by James Horner and John

> The composer who has inspired me to write music for movies once out of
> college is Hans Zimmer. Do a search for the soundtracks Crimson
> Tide
and Gladiator, and i promise that you won't be dissappointed!!
> PROMISE!!!!!!
I have Gladiator...

I prefer "A Beautiful Mind" by James Horner, and "Willow" by James Horner. As far as music more like "Gladiator" I'd have to say "The Four Feathers" by Horner. (I love Horner and Williams). But your right "Gladiator" is awesome I love it, particularly "The Battle" "Patricide" and "The Barbarian Horde" I wasn't too impressed with Lisa Gerrard though

Ommadawn
(cpe-24-167-208-40.wi.rr.com)

Amuro
Re: You know who you should get into is....   Wednesday, June 4, 2003 (5:55 p.m.)

What kind of Williams scores do you like?

(12-222-158-77.client.insightbb.co
Ommadawn

Amuro
Re: You know who you should get into is....   Wednesday, June 4, 2003 (6:16 p.m.)

> What kind of Williams scores do you like?

I LOVE "HARRY POTTER" both of them, and I really Like Jurassic Park and Minority Report. And for Christmas time nothing is better than "Home Alone" and of course you can't forget the greatest two series of all "STAR WARS" and "INDIANA JONES"!!!!!

Schindler's List, and Catch Me if You Can have also found perminent places on my CD rack as well! And "The Patriot"!

(12-222-158-77.client.insightbb.co

B. Robert Tanner
Film Composer
Re: You know who you should get into is....   Thursday, June 5, 2003 (5:28 p.m.)

> I LOVE "HARRY POTTER" both of them, and I really Like Jurassic
> Park and Minority Report. And for Christmas time nothing is better than
> "Home Alone" and of course you can't forget the greatest two
> series of all "STAR WARS" and "INDIANA JONES"!!!!!

> Schindler's List, and Catch Me if You Can have also found perminent places
> on my CD rack as well! And "The Patriot"!

I listened to the audio clips up near the middle of the page...

NOW I WANT THE SCORE!

B. Robert Tanner
(cs671012-190.houston.rr.com)

Amuro
Re: You know who you should get into is....   Tuesday, June 10, 2003 (4:35 p.m.)

I noticed you said you want to be a film composer. If I may give some advice? I've scored a few independant films (and I'll be heading to USC for the one year film scoring program soon, then begin breaking in to the "big time" so to speak) and believe me when I tell you that if all you listen to is Williams and Horner, you are in for some tough times.

Not to say that Williams and Horner are bad, they're great. But you've got to have very broad horizons. Director's want their composers to be adaptable. If all you hear is certain things, you will not be prepared for other genres. At minimum, you should own soundtracks by at least 20 composers. But more is good (I myself have some from over 40). Listen, listen, listen and write, write, write. Over time, you will find your own musical "voice" and style. Best of luck to you! The craft of composing is hard and only a few can learn it (much less master it), if you try hard enough and long enough, and you have the talent, you'll have no problem.

> I listened to the audio clips up near the middle of the page...

> NOW I WANT THE SCORE!

(12-222-158-77.client.insightbb.co
B. Robert Tanner

Matthew
Re: Thank You VERY much   Tuesday, June 10, 2003 (7:15 p.m.)

> I noticed you said you want to be a film composer. If I may give some
> advice? I've scored a few independant films (and I'll be heading to USC
> for the one year film scoring program soon, then begin breaking in to the
> "big time" so to speak) and believe me when I tell you that if
> all you listen to is Williams and Horner, you are in for some tough times.

> Not to say that Williams and Horner are bad, they're great. But you've got
> to have very broad horizons. Director's want their composers to be
> adaptable. If all you hear is certain things, you will not be prepared for
> other genres. At minimum, you should own soundtracks by at least 20
> composers. But more is good (I myself have some from over 40). Listen,
> listen, listen and write, write, write. Over time, you will find your own
> musical "voice" and style. Best of luck to you! The craft of
> composing is hard and only a few can learn it (much less master it), if
> you try hard enough and long enough, and you have the talent, you'll have
> no problem.

I don't listen to only Horner and Williams thery're just my favorites. I have written several pieces and right now i'm focusing on a song (classical) that I want to be around 20 minutes (a huge deal for me because I've only written songs about 5-7 minutes before).

But I do have some scoring expeariance, I scored my school's medieval faire. If that counts. But even when I write I find that I have very different "talents" I find myself writting more for the strings and piano than the brass like Williams does in most of his scores (schindler's list being an obvious exception). And I find that most of my piano rythmes are less emotional than Horner's and that they are more of a "uncomfortable" feeling. I love writting though and your advice has helped me even though its only been about 2 minutes since I read it but I've been thinking a lot in those 2 minutes.

Maybe we will meet some day at the academy awards (heres hoping) or the golden globes.

Thanks a lot,

Matthew
(wsnc01-167.vcitynet.com)

JS Park
Re: Thank You VERY much   Monday, July 7, 2003 (7:58 p.m.)

You write more for strings and piano? Hmm...maybe you should listen to a lot more Thomas Newman, he uses them liberally in almost all of his scores. Check out American Beauty and his best one yet, Meet Joe Black.

JS Park
(216-237-196-116-dslam1-hmc.norths
tate.net)

Matthew

Amuro
Re: Thank You VERY much   Tuesday, April 13, 2004 (8:41 p.m.)

> You write more for strings and piano? Hmm...maybe you should listen to a
> lot more Thomas Newman, he uses them liberally in almost all of his
> scores. Check out American Beauty and his best one yet, Meet Joe Black.

Oh I love love love the piano theme for Meet Joe Black. But arent we forgetting the composer that is a lit better then Hanz Zimmer at least? DANNY ELFMAN. How DARE you leave him out???? He is MUCH more diverse then Williams and Horner. Thomas Newman is cool too. Forget WIlliams, he is history...bland, un-unique, boring style. Wake up! Its time for Tom Newman, Elfman, and Goldenthal!

(hse201.hse.k12.in.us)
JS Park
Re: Thank You VERY much   Thursday, November 11, 2004 (9:57 a.m.)

> Oh I love love love the piano theme for Meet Joe Black. But arent we
> forgetting the composer that is a lit better then Hanz Zimmer at least?
> DANNY ELFMAN. How DARE you leave him out???? He is MUCH more diverse then
> Williams and Horner. Thomas Newman is cool too. Forget WIlliams, he is
> history...bland, un-unique, boring style. Wake up! Its time for Tom
> Newman, Elfman, and Goldenthal!

Wow, its been awhile since I Wrote those stupid comments at the top, I've listened to A LOT of Newman now, and I've broadened my horizons much more. I can't say I particularly enjoy Goldenthal though. I still want to compose, but I've undergone some changes! Now I write liberally for the brass as is heard in my first real concert work "Atlanticdämmerung" and I am quite good at writing for Wind Ensembles as can be heard in some of my works like "The Flamingo"... I'm hoping to get both of those pieces published some time, with help from my saxophone teacher! Thank you all again, for your kind words, some of which were given over a year ago!

Thank you all!

(12-222-158-77.client.insightbb.co
Amuro
Re: You know who you should get into is....   Wednesday, June 11, 2003 (3:18 p.m.)

> I listened to the audio clips up near the middle of the page...

> NOW I WANT THE SCORE

I got the "Road to Perdition" soundtrack...

IT'S MY NEW FAVOIRITE!

Film Composer
(host3.hochunkcasino.wi.customer.c
enturytel.net)

Adam P.
Some advice   Wednesday, July 2, 2003 (7:42 a.m.)

I read the comments posted by film scoring colleague, and I must wholeheartedly agree with his comments. I score films in the Independent scene as well, but I think if you're going to in fact "mimic" someone else's style that you take a step back and look at the composers from years past. Williams, Horner, Goldsmith, Zimmer and Newman(s) seem to be setting the standard for modern scoring...but I think serious looks at Herrmann, Steiner, Arnold, and Alfred Newman as well as some of Bernstein's early work would give you real insight. The music of the past simply had a different...feel to it (due to both recording and forms of orchestration) and seemed, in many ways, to be more effective than the music of today.

As a composer do not underestimate the importance of classical composers and their style as well. I am also of the belief that if you're a composer, you must both keep up to date with the current music scene as well as be a practicing musician yourself. Every so often I find immense pleasure in working in the studio setting playing Tuba with my fellow musicians - it keeps me grounded, gives me a firm base to gain musician perspective and more often than not - inspires my next score.

My advice may seem trite or off base, but I thought I'd throw my two sense in. Have a good one and best of luck in your scoring endeavors!

Adam P.
(pcp03916426pcs.manass01.va.comcas
t.net)

Film Composer

Amuro
Re: Some advice   Friday, November 21, 2003 (2:32 p.m.)

> Williams, Horner, Goldsmith, Zimmer and Newman(s) seem to
> be setting the standard for modern scoring...but I think serious looks at
> Herrmann, Steiner, Arnold, and Alfred Newman as well as some of
> Bernstein's early work would give you real insight. The music of the past
> simply had a different...feel to it (due to both recording and forms of
> orchestration) and seemed, in many ways, to be more effective than the
> music of today.

Maybe music back then was nice, but in my opinion, i believe that it all depends on the movie, which is why most composers fail today. You can't use the 'old style' for a movie like The Matrix!! Now way!! out of line!!! But you could fo a movie like Schindler's List! Notice the way John Williams Approached it. He threw in a touch of 'old American' and Hebrew renditions. That is talent.

The Composer that has inspired me, is Hans Zimmer. In fact i want to graduate with a Doctor's Degree in music composition, then head over to LA to Media Ventures, and prayerfully train under Zimmer himself!

Whoever wrote his opinion (the one that i'm responding to) knows what he/she is talking about! And another piece of advice to anyone wanting to score movies, Don't only buy the soundtrack, WATCH THE MOVIE TOO!! You can have the music, but if you don't see the movie, then you have no idea how the composer was inspired!!!

Peace Out, And Good Luck

(12-222-16-223.client.insightbb.co
Adam P.

Adam P.
Re: Some advice   Sunday, November 23, 2003 (4:42 p.m.)

> Whoever wrote his opinion (the one that i'm responding to) knows what
> he/she is talking about! And another piece of advice to anyone wanting to
> score movies, Don't only buy the soundtrack, WATCH THE MOVIE TOO!! You can
> have the music, but if you don't see the movie, then you have no idea how
> the composer was inspired!!!

I make it a priority, to listen to composers such as Mozart, and to an extent Offenbach (i love Can-Can ). And I love the score to the original Robin Hood, by Erich Korngold, and I also make it a piority to watch the films as well, to see how everything fits, and I am currently working on a score for my friends film...Its coming along nicely built around a minor key two note theme, which is preformed on a horribly out of tune piano. But it works! Thank you all, for your kind advice, and I will take it to heart!

Adam P.
(pcp03916426pcs.manass01.va.comcas
t.net)

Amuro
No Problem *NM*   Thursday, November 27, 2003 (1:20 p.m.)

Copyright © 1998-2017, Filmtracks Publications. All rights reserved.