SUPPORT FILMTRACKS! CLICK HERE FIRST:
Amazon.com
Amazon.co.uk
iTunes (U.S.)
Amazon.ca
Amazon.fr
eBay (U.S.)
Amazon.de
Amazon.es
Half.com
Glisten Effect
Editorial Reviews
Scoreboard Forum
Viewer Ratings
Composers
Awards
   NEWEST MAJOR REVIEWS:
     1. Venom
    2. House With a Clock/Walls
   3. The Nun
  4. Crazy Rich Asians
 5. The Meg
6. Christopher Robin
   CURRENT MOST POPULAR REVIEWS:
         1. Edward Scissorhands
        2. Jurassic World: Kingdom
       3. Batman
      4. The Predator
     5. Gladiator
    6. Mission: Impossible - Fallout
   7. Solo: A Star Wars Story
  8. Apollo 13
 9. Ant-Man and the Wasp
10. The Equalizer 2
Home Page
Menu Options ▼
Comments about the soundtrack for Gladiator (Hans Zimmer/Lisa Gerrard)

Edit | Delete
Lauguage dispute confirmation!
• Posted by: Nate Jackson   <Send E-Mail>
• Date: Thursday, January 22, 2009, at 9:57 p.m.
• IP Address: adsl-99-188-135-49.dsl.hstntx.sbcglobal.net

It has been quite a long time since I have posted to this website. It was great to see Catherine Todd step up and compile the many attempts to convince people the songs sang by Lisa Gerrard are in fact "language of the heart." So, thank you Catherine, and may this re-post continue to enlighten people.

Lyrics & Interviews for "Now We Are Free"

This should answer almost all questions, after research on the web:

Note: Thanks also to Nate Jackson for some of the interview / web references (below), and lyrics I found on the web. Fascinating Irish Gaelic "made up language" mystery SOLVED! See more below for the interview with Gerrard:

http://www.geocities.com/temptrack/gerrard1.html

"WHAT IS THAT LANGUAGE? “I sing in the language of the Heart,” begins Gerrard. “It’s an INVENTED LANGUAGE that I’ve had for avery long time. I believe I started singing in it when I was about 12. Roughly that time. And I believed that I was speaking to God when I sang in that language."

Lyrics:

http://www.stlyrics.com/lyrics/gladiator/nowwearefree.htm

Artist: Lisa Gerrard Lyrics
Song: Now We Are Free Lyrics

Anol shalom
Anol sheh lay konnud de ne um {shaddai}
Flavum
Nom de leesh
Ham de nam um das
La um de
Flavne…

We de ze zu bu
We de sooo a ru
Un va-a pesh a lay
Un vi-I bee
Un da la pech ni sa
(Aaahh)
Un di-I lay na day
Un ma la pech a nay
Mee di nu ku

(Fast tempo, 4 times)
La la da pa da le na da na
Ve va da pa da le na la dumda

Anol shalom
Anol sheh ley kon-nud de ne um.
Flavum.
Flavum.
M-ai shondol-lee
Flavu… {Live on…}
Lof flesh lay
Nof ne
Nom de lis
Ham de num um dass
La um de
Flavne…
Flay
Shom de nomm
Ma-lun des
Dwondi.
Dwwoondi
Alas sharum du koos
Shaley koot-tum.

---

here’s a note from an interview about the “made up language”:

http://www.dreamworksfansite.com/gladiator/interviews/Hans_Zimmer.htm

see: 8. Throughout the film we hear a woman singing in joy and sorrow. What language is that and what is she saying?

It is Lisa Gerrard's voice. It is not words or any particular language. Instead of LALA or HMHMHM, we wanted to try something different, so we did that. It was funny how Ridley and I played the entire film with music and no dialogue. After watching Ridley said that the haunting voice of Lisa does tell us the story from an ancient language, only it’s not.

------

Click here to visit: Gladiator Soundtrack Lyrics Page

http://www.stlyrics.com/g/gladiator.htm

see:Filmtracks.com

http://www.filmtracks.com/comments/titles/gladiator/index.cgi?read=733

many comments, haven’t read all. Here’s one:

• Posted by: shane kinsella
• Date: Thursday, September 28, 2006, at 4:49 a.m.
• IP Address: mail.priestley.ac.uk
• In Response to: Re: the real language of the song (SM)

Re: the real language of the song

doesn't anybody know the true language? It's Irish Gaelic!! I should know, my father was irish and his first language was gaelic, also this song has been repeated by an irish trio called triniti, of which i am a huge fan, it is all about the freedom for the irish from th british empire, and how they are glad to have the land classed as their own, as it was for the ancestors before the british intrusion.

---

my edited post:

Where I can find an ENGLISH TRANSLATION of this beautiful song,"Now We Are Free" from the "Gladiator" soundtrack, if one exists?

This song has apparently also been recorded in it's native Irish Gaelic by Lisa Gerrard, Enya, Triniti and is a classic in Ireland and is "about the freedom for the Irish from the British empire." (see more below).[Note: I could not find any more info to support this theory]

I also read a post here that said: "SAID BY ZIMMER HIMSELF, THEY MEAN NOTHING!!!!!HE said quote, "you better be recording when Lisa starts to sing because whatever she starts singing cannot be duplicated."

I have seen this language attributed to "Latin, Spanish, Armenian, Greek, Hebrew, or ‘it didn't matter’..." it's almost laughable, but I want the
English translation myself, so it just goes to show what lengths people will go to when they don't have "the facts" and are trying to figure something out with no information or knowledge. Just like former controversy over “how the pyramids were built,” I suppose!

Remember the “spaceships” theory, when in fact it was a post and a rope placed on each level as the pyramid was built, and the blocks of stone “turned the corner” in that way. (PBS Special, I believe...)

Thanks, Catherine Todd, CTodd1000@gmail.com

Thanks also for the earlier post which helped clear the air about the language:

"Re: the real language of the song"

doesn't anybody know the true language? It's Irish Gaelic!! I should know, my father was irish and his first language was Gaelic, also this song has been repeated by an Irish trio called Triniti, of which i am a huge fan, it is all about the freedom for the Irish from the British empire, and how they are glad to have the land classed as their own, as it was for the ancestors before the British intrusion.
---

My original post:

THANK YOU! I was amazed at all the discussion about "what language" and how it was "Latin, [Spanish, Armenian] or Greek, or Hebrew, or ‘it didn't matter’..." and you have set the record straight. I am also interested in hearing the Irish trio Triniti you mention. Thank you for that note.

Where I can find an ENGLISH TRANSLATION of this beautiful song? That is what I am looking for... Thanks, Catherine Todd, CTodd1000@gmail.com

---

Second post: English translation for "Now We Are Free" ?

Where I can find an ENGLISH TRANSLATION of this beautiful song,"Now We Are Free" from the "Gladiator" soundtrack?

This song has apparently also been recorded in it's native Irish Gaelic by Lisa Gerrard, Enya, Triniti and is a classic in Ireland. I would love to know the true meaning of the words.

Thanks, Catherine Todd, CTodd1000@gmail.com

Thanks also for the earlier post which helped clear the air about the language:

"Re: the real language of the song"

doesn't anybody know the true language? It's Irish Gaelic!! I should know, my father was irish and his first language was gaelic, also this song has been repeated by an irish trio called triniti, of which i am a huge fan, it is all about the freedom for the irish from th british empire, and how they are glad to have the land classed as their own, as it was for the ancestors before the british intrusion. [Note: could not find any more info to support this, see Lisa Garraud's interview about "made up language."]

----

http://www.filmtracks.com/comments/titles/gladiator/index.cgi?read=736&expand=1#736

Nate Jackson

(ac83c568.ipt.aol.com)

In Response to:
Å™ mag

Responses to this Comment:
Å´ Thorondor
Å´ Mary

All OF YOU LISTEN!!! Friday, March 29, 2002 (9:21 p.m.)

> I followed latin lessons for 6 years and flavum is the ablative form of
> flavus: he who cries.The rest of the text is defenitely not in latin, but
> maybe that's because the words that were written down in the first mail
> are just attempts to put words to the sounds heard in the song and not the
> actual words.

TO END THIS LONG LINE OF QUESTIONS ABOUT THE LYRICS OF "NOW WE ARE FREE."THEY MEAN NOTHING!!!!!!!!NOTHING AT ALL!!!!!ALONG WITH ALL THE OTHER LYRICS SANG BY LISA IN THE WHOLE MOVIE OF GALDIATOR!!!!!!!!!!! You people should try reading interviews! GOOD GOD!!!!!!!!I thought I may have cleared this up near the top of this strand of comments and responses comments and responses.SAID BY ZIMMER HIMSELF, THEY MEAN NOTHING!!!!!HE said quote, "you better be recording when Lisa starts to sing because whatever she starts singing cannot be dupilcated."

THANK YOU AND GOODNIGHT!!!!

---

Thorondor

(spider-tp081.proxy.aol.com)

In Response to:
Å™ Nate Jackson

Responses to this Comment:
Å´ Nate Jackson
Å´ Andy
Å´ eowathiel
Å´ Hans
Å´ Ian McElroy

Re: All OF YOU LISTEN!!! Saturday, May 4, 2002 (7:13 p.m.)

No, they are ancient Gaelic, of the Gallic variety. There are a few words that seem like so many different languages because the language is old and many words became incorporated into other languages. Yes, when translated it makes no sense but it can be translated because it is actual words in an actual ancient language!

Nate Jackson

(spider-mtc-tj064.proxy.aol.com)

In Response to:
Å™ Thorondor

Responses to this Comment:
Å´ Cinaed

Re: All OF YOU LISTEN!!! Tuesday, May 7, 2002 (4:57 p.m.)

> No, they are ancient Gaelic, of the Gallic variety. There are a few words
> that seem like so many different languages because the language is old and
> many words became incorporated into other languages. Yes, when translated
> it makes no sense but it can be translated because it is actual words in
> an actual ancient language!

You say they are ancient Gaelic, thats fine. But, what about Hans Zimmer and Lisa Gerrards own words saying that the lyrics mean nothing? It is possible to murmur a few words that may sound like a similar word in Gaelic that actually means somthing. Hans Zimmer states himself in an interview that the words are jibberish made up specialy for the score in particular. He once said about Lisa, "You better be recording when Lisa is in the sound booth watching the movie because she sings somthing amazing that you WONT HEAR TWICE.

---

• Posted by: Nate Jackson
• Date: Monday, July 24, 2006, at 12:21 p.m.
• IP Address: ppp-70-248-188-241.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net

END TO MYSTERY LANGUAGE!

"When you put the picture up - and you'd better be recording, if she(Lisa) sees the picture and starts singing amazing things will start happening and you'd better capture it." -Hans Zimmer (interview)

Lisa uses a "language grown by itself" as she puts it. It's not a real language- she improvises them... Yet it may sound like Greek or Turkish, it is totally made up. Hence the "watching the screen and just singing, and you better be recording when she starts or you'll miss the best stuff." from the quote by Zimmer above.

(THIS QUOTE IS FROM A BIOGRAPHY/INTERVIEW WITH LISA GERRARD)
It is enchanting during the finale of Ridley Scott’s Roman epic and the QUESTION ON EVERYONE'S LIPS IS: WHAT IS THAT LANGUAGE? “I sing in the language of the Heart,” begins Gerrard. “It’s an INVENTED LANGUAGE that I’ve had for avery long time. I believe I started singing in it when I was about 12. Roughly that time. And I believed that I was speaking to God when I sang in that language. Now I am filled with the Holy Ghost, that is the promise in the Bible the Church will not talk about, because this secret would mean the fall of the religion.” The idea is that one can have a personal relationship with God without the interference of an organization like the Church. http://www.geocities.com/temptrack/gerrard1.html

And that is it ladys and gentleman!I took the liberty of Capitalizing the important parts that would answer you questions. This is end to all of your questions that have been asked about the "language" she sings in. As I have tried to state in the past, it is all made up! I even sited the website for all ye of little faith. Thank you and goodnight!

-Nate Jackson

I really don't know how much longer I'm going to keep on trying to convince these people who attempting to figure out what language(of any song that was sung in any way on this album)this soundtrack is sung in? Please look at the website, IT'S TRUE!




Comments in this Thread:     Expand >>
  •   Lauguage dispute confirmation!  (2891 views)    We're Here
       Nate Jackson - Thursday, January 22, 2009, at 9:57 p.m.


Copyright © 1998-2018, Filmtracks Publications. All rights reserved.
The reviews and other textual content contained on the filmtracks.com site may not be published, broadcast,
rewritten or redistributed without the prior written authority of Christian Clemmensen at Filmtracks Publications. Scoreboard created 7/24/98 and last updated 4/25/15.