1. Venom
    2. House With a Clock/Walls
   3. The Nun
  4. Crazy Rich Asians
 5. The Meg
Comments about the soundtrack for Gladiator (Hans Zimmer/Lisa Gerrard)
Now We Are Free lyrics found

Arya
(px1wh.vc.shawcable.net)

Dan Hayes
Gonzo
Henry
bianca
Now We Are Free lyrics found   Saturday, February 22, 2003 (10:27 a.m.)

Hi everybody
I was lookin' for gladiator soundtrack and i found "Now WE Are Free"Trance remix which is really perfect.When I was skimming this page I saw some of you guys lookin for the lyrics.You can find it on " http://top-lyrics.de/display.php?ID=5440 ".
Just click on it.

Have Fun!!!

Dan Hayes
(12-247-229-33.client.attbi.com)

Arya

Wavingtree
Dave
Andre Letain
Re: Now We Are Free lyrics found   Saturday, March 1, 2003 (10:28 a.m.)

Does anyone know what language the lyrics are in? Looks like Hebrew to me. Thoughts?

> Hi everybody
I was lookin' for gladiator soundtrack and i found
> "Now WE Are Free"Trance remix which is really perfect.When I was
> skimming this page I saw some of you guys lookin for the lyrics.You can
> find it on " http://top-lyrics.de/display.php?ID=5440 ".
Just click on it.

> Have Fun!!!

Wavingtree
(hog.org)

Dan Hayes

Guillermo
Re: Now We Are Free - Latin?   Wednesday, October 8, 2003 (9:27 a.m.)

I don't think those are actual lyrics, but a transliteration. However, one word that I can also hear clearly does jump out: "Flavum", which is Latin for "yellow". Latin would be logical for a Roman, and yellow could be a reference to the wheat, Maximus' recurring vision of home.

Unfortunately, Latin isn't one of my spare languages. Any Latin students out there?

> Does anyone know what language the lyrics are in? Looks like Hebrew to me.
> Thoughts?
I was lookin' for gladiator soundtrack and i found
Just
> click on it.

Guillermo
(cm232232.red.mundo-r.com)

Wavingtree

tc
Ryuu
Re: Now We Are Free - Latin?   Tuesday, October 14, 2003 (12:12 p.m.)

Hi. Im from Spain and i now a little of Latin. I think lisa does not sing in Latin, its just an invented languaje. She usually does that in her Dead Can Dance songs. Some of those great vowel sounds don't exist in English, but maybe they can be written phonetically in some other languages...

tc
(stl302-0.resnet.wvu.edu)

Guillermo

Cherryholmes
camiup
Frank
Re: Now We Are Free - Latin?   Tuesday, February 3, 2004 (9:08 p.m.)

Its beton.
Lisa Gerrard speaks beton.
Download Gortroz A Ran for more of it.

Cherryholmes
(cs68201165-154.austin.rr.com)

tc

Teddy
Juan
It must be hebrew   Tuesday, April 13, 2004 (8:55 p.m.)

I believe these lyrics, because of the word "Shalom" means Peace in hebrew. "Shaddai" is hebrew for Almighty.

And the gutteral ch sound does orginate in Hebrew, Aramaic, and Arabic. It comes from the letter "chaf", not "shin". Like Chanukkah.

(12.37.11.195)

Cherryholmes

Krugergirl
Re: It must be hebrew   Wednesday, May 5, 2004 (10:05 a.m.)

> I believe these lyrics, because of the word "Shalom" means Peace
> in hebrew. "Shaddai" is hebrew for Almighty.

> And the gutteral ch sound does orginate in Hebrew, Aramaic, and Arabic. It
> comes from the letter "chaf", not "shin". Like
> Chanukkah.

It's not Hebrew. I speak Hebrew, and while this does have what sounds phonetically like "shalom" in it, the rest of it is nonsense, or words taken from other language. Also, as I mentioned in another post, I seem to hear the "ch" sound in "child," (not as in "chai" or "Chanukah") in her singing, which does not exist in Hebrew.

I believe Ms. Gerrard has said in interviews that she makes up the words as she goes along, so it's probably coincidence. In any case, it's not Hebrew.

Krugergirl
(cache-dtc-ad10.proxy.aol.com)

sangria
Re: It must be hebrew   Wednesday, July 14, 2004 (8:38 p.m.)

> I believe Ms. Gerrard has said in interviews that she makes up the words
> as she goes along, so it's probably coincidence. In any case, it's not
> Hebrew.

If Ms. Gerrard is indeed making up the words as she goes along, it seems strange to me that there is an appropriate repetition of the words in the song, as though they have a meaning.

(12.37.11.195)

Krugergirl

Illarane
Ruhiger Mann
Re: It must be hebrew   Wednesday, July 28, 2004 (1:48 p.m.)

> If Ms. Gerrard is indeed making up the words as she goes along, it seems
> strange to me that there is an appropriate repetition of the words in the
> song, as though they have a meaning.

Short answer: she calls it melismatic singing, and has stated numerous times in interviews that it's not in any particular language.

Long answer (why I think she does it): Putting aside her quasi-spiritual explanation, approximately, "The words are in my own internal language, and mean more than I could ever explain," consider the following: it is not odd at all that a talented musician like Ms. Gerrard would repeat the sounds where the music repeats. Quite to the contrary, I find it very appropriate.

The phonemes one uses when one sings, regardless of their meaning, alter the musical shading and tone quality of one's voice. We have to put our tongues in different positions, tighten or loosen different parts of our throats, change the shape of the inside of our mouth, close or open our lips, etc. For example, if I am singing "feet" my voice is going to sound very different than if I am singing "wow" at the same pitch and volume. As a violinist, I can tell you that the angle at which the bow touches the string, the pressure of the violinist's fingers, even the angle at which the instrument faces (or doesn't face) the audience are all used for different musical effects.

Well, a singer's instrument is her body. When she's singing predetermined words, she is limited in how she can alter the timbre and tone quality of her words. For example, she might want the bell-like clarity that can be achieved when producing an "oh" sound, but she if she's singing the word "please," she's just going to have to attempt the best she can with that vowel sound, despite the fact that it's a high, tense, front vowel. On the other hand, if she's not singing predetermined words, but rather shaping the sound the way an instrumentalist does, she's free to sing "oh" went she wants a more clear, open sound, or "ee" if she wants a more constrained, higher tension vowel sound. If she wants an emphatic, staccato sound, she can put in "t" sounds or "p" sounds.

And of course, when the music repeats, the "words" are probably going to be repeated, just as generally when a musical theme repeats, one doesn't radically the way in which it is played unless the music calls for it.

The end result is that Ms. Gerrard gets to musically have her cake and eat it too: she can shape her sound exactly as she wishes, but because (I assmue) the phonemes she chooses are carefully thought out, they sound like meaningful language, even if a foreign one. Although this practice is not unique to Ms. Gerrard (I've heard Loreena McKennitt, Jorane, and Vas do it, to name a few) in my opinion her work is the best example I have yet encountered of how to put all our the abilities of our unique vocal apparatus to a purely musical use.

But, returning to the original point, it's certainly not Hebrew.

Illarane
(bb-87-82-1-43.ukonline.co.uk)

MarkSmi
Re: It must be hebrew   Friday, February 17, 2006 (8:19 p.m.)

> Short answer: she calls it melismatic singing, and has stated numerous

[SNIP]

> apparatus to a purely musical use.

> But, returning to the original point, it's certainly not Hebrew.

Nail, head, hammer.

This song isn't in any particular language. The closest language in terms of actual sound is Gaelic, however it isn't Gaelic, modern or not. This song is sung from the heart with the meaning coming from the sounds of the words and not the words themselves. I compose a lot of music and have used this to my advantage a lot (in soundtracks and title sequences, for example). It drives people crazy trying to translate it, because it's impossible. One thing I do notice, when I go back and read my scores, is that the lyrics do seem to follow similar patterns to natural languages, for example, when I want something to imply peace or similar I'll use one set of sounds, when I want it to sound cold and callous or foreboding I'll use others. Melismatic singing, as Lisa calls it, is a very powerful tool that's employed by many composers.

So yeah; not Hebrew, not Gaelic, not anything, just sounds. But preety. This song twigs at the back of my neck when I hear it, hehehe.

MarkSmi
(c211-30-6-101.artrmn1.nsw.optusne
t.com.au)

Illarane

Miguel
Re: It must be hebrew   Friday, February 24, 2006 (12:13 p.m.)

I would agree that it is very influenced in its word pronounciation and tone by Celtic styles, and if she does speak Breton (which is one of the Brythonic Celtic languages (the others being Welsh, Manx, Cornish and Cumbrian)) then that may explain its sound.

But it is evidently quite clear that the lyrics are not from one specific language, but have flavours from many - and all the languages she seems to be using as inspiration here are from the ancient world of around the time the movie is set (Latin, Hebrew, Greek, Celtic). (Though of course, for purists, she would have to be using the old forms of those languages not the modern forms, but as its more a matter of inspiration I don't think it matters as much).

After all, it is a beautiful pice of music.

> [SNIP]

> Nail, head, hammer.

> This song isn't in any particular language. The closest language in terms
> of actual sound is Gaelic, however it isn't Gaelic, modern or not. This
> song is sung from the heart with the meaning coming from the sounds of the
> words and not the words themselves. I compose a lot of music and have used
> this to my advantage a lot (in soundtracks and title sequences, for
> example). It drives people crazy trying to translate it, because it's
> impossible. One thing I do notice, when I go back and read my scores, is
> that the lyrics do seem to follow similar patterns to natural languages,
> for example, when I want something to imply peace or similar I'll use one
> set of sounds, when I want it to sound cold and callous or foreboding I'll
> use others. Melismatic singing, as Lisa calls it, is a very powerful tool
> that's employed by many composers.

> So yeah; not Hebrew, not Gaelic, not anything, just sounds. But preety.
> This song twigs at the back of my neck when I hear it, hehehe.

Miguel
(dsl-200-67-101-217.prod-empresari
al.com.mx)

MarkSmi

enrico
Re: It must be hebrew   Wednesday, March 8, 2006 (12:01 p.m.)

> After all, it is a beautiful pice of music.

I don't think that Ms. Gerrard not have a translation for this song. It could be both real or fantasy language, but must to have a translation...

enrico
(host-84-222-90-158.cust-adsl.tisc
ali.it)

Miguel

Lara
Xena
Re: It must be hebrew   Tuesday, March 21, 2006 (4:46 a.m.)

I am quite sure the words are a mix of ancient (but existing) languages. The first verse clearly says "Anol Shalom", which is Aramaic for "Oh great Peace" and the second one ends undoubtly with the word "Adhunhaì", which means "the Almighty Lord" (if you watch Gibson's movie "The Passion Of The Christ", you will hear Jim Caviezel clearly pronouncing this word every time he speaks to God, like in the initial scene when he learns about Juda's traison and calls upon God to give him the strenght to resist the temptation of the Devil).
The next word is Flavum, which is a Latin adjective used to state that a man is a descendant of a particular family, the Flavi (gens Flavia); this I know for sure because I studied Latin for 5 years. I also recognize some words from ancient Gaelic. Maybe the "ve va da pa da de da de dumda" has no meaning, it's like a "tra-la-la-la-la" thing, but the rest of the song is WORDS, and existing words, I'm sure.

Lara
(c-68-39-250-233.hsd1.nj.comcast.n
et)

enrico

Michael
second line: anol shalach anol adhunhai?   Saturday, April 22, 2006 (3:28 p.m.)

Could the second line be:
"Anol Shalach, Anol Adhunhai"?

I think the Hebrew definition of "shalach" is "departure" or "to send forth", but could someone confirm this? Is there an Aramaic phrase like "Anol Shalach"? Also, can you put "Anol" in front of "Adhunhai"? I'm guessing that "Anol" means "great", so "Anol Adhunhai" would be "the Great Almighty Lord"?

If someone who knows any of these languages can help, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks =)
Lara

> I am quite sure the words are a mix of ancient (but existing) languages.
> The first verse clearly says "Anol Shalom", which is Aramaic for
> "Oh great Peace" and the second one ends undoubtly with the word
> "Adhunhaì", which means "the Almighty Lord"

Michael
(unet-005.tamucc.edu)

Lara

Xena
Arkadios
Re: second line: anol shalach anol adhunhai?   Tuesday, May 9, 2006 (10:31 a.m.)

The language that Now We are Free is Armenian. If you purchase The soundtrack " More Music from the Motion Picture Gladiator", the insert explains why and how the song was written, it's very informative. There is another version in Gaelic Irish by an Artist named Lisa Kelly, it is just as beautiful as the original song. Gaelic is the language on Enya songs. Now all we need is the translation of the song. Anyone speaks Armenian?

> I think the Hebrew definition of "shalach" is
> "departure" or "to send forth", but could someone
> confirm this? Is there an Aramaic phrase like "Anol Shalach"?
> Also, can you put "Anol" in front of "Adhunhai"? I'm
> guessing that "Anol" means "great", so "Anol
> Adhunhai" would be "the Great Almighty Lord"?

> If someone who knows any of these languages can help, I'd greatly
> appreciate it!

> Thanks =)
Lara

Xena
(ip70-160-184-110.hr.hr.cox.net)

Michael
Re: second line: anol shalach anol adhunhai?   Saturday, May 13, 2006 (9:49 p.m.)

I am lost. Is the whole song that Lisa Gerrard sang is really in Armenian?

Arkadios
(172.58.185.168)

Michael
Re: second line: anol shalach anol adhunhai?   Monday, June 18, 2018 (6:19 p.m.)

It's not Armenian.

> The language that Now We are Free is Armenian. If you purchase The
> soundtrack ' More Music from the Motion Picture Gladiator', the insert
> explains why and how the song was written, it's very informative. There is
> another version in Gaelic Irish by an Artist named Lisa Kelly, it is just
> as beautiful as the original song. Gaelic is the language on Enya songs.
> Now all we need is the translation of the song. Anyone speaks Armenian?
> Lara

Xena
(ip70-160-184-110.hr.hr.cox.net)

enrico
Re: It must be hebrew   Friday, June 2, 2006 (6:58 a.m.)

So its a mixed ancient lauguage.

Ruhiger Mann
(12.41.112.201)

Phaedra
Re: It must be hebrew   Thursday, July 27, 2006 (4:26 p.m.)

I must recognize that for many western cultures, it has become very important, specially because the increase on popular forms of music (i.e. commercial pop, like Mrs. B.Spears) to understand lyrics so a rather simple melody with some harmony makes sense.

However, voice as a musical instrument is indeed an extreme and powerful mean for the soul to communicate -feelings-. I believe must of you agree that this is a beautiful piece of music (otherwise you wouldn't be reading this!), and there's no need to get it translated. It communicates what needs to communicate. Have you ever translated an eyesight? You can "hear with your soul's ears" an anger look, or a thankful look, even a funny look. This is because we are spiritual beings and it goes far beyound what our mind can perceive through spoken word.

Here's an example, a rather simple one if you wish: I'm a native spanish spoking person, and like to watch foreign movies without subtitles or language doubling. I don't need to -understand- or force myself to translate, because I can easily tell anger, happiness, sorrow, that are universal feelings.

Take a look at this way: If someone throws at you what seems to be the lyrics for this one song(which if read by people like me, doesn't sound like spanish pronunciation at all ) without having ever listened to the song, it'd be just babbling words, invented easily by a 4 yr. old toddler. On the other hand, you could easily tell, without any doubt, that this is a liberating piece of music that makes you feel free.

It happened to me: I watched the movie and loved the song. without having to look at what the title was or the lyrics had to say to me.

My piece of advice is: Try to "listen" to the music and paint to recreate what it has communicated to you. This is all about imagination and feelings, not a matter of forieign languages. Also, it is good to broaden your musical taste, so listen to others forms of music, like classical, world music, ethnic music, gregorian chants, etc. You'll see how they convey feelings.

BTW. ERA's Eric Levi french composer has also driven people crazy when tryng to translate its own invented language for some of his songs. And he even has fun throwing some random Latin-like expressions, so people can amuse themselves

Greetings from the West side of the world!
As in Music, So in Life...

Ruhiger Mann.

sangria
(84.238.188.194)

Krugergirl

Rebeca
ef
Xena
Isabelly
Re: The language is an Enya's fantasy   Sunday, January 22, 2006 (12:59 p.m.)

> If Ms. Gerrard is indeed making up the words as she goes along, it seems
> strange to me that there is an appropriate repetition of the words in the
> song, as though they have a meaning.

Enya is author of the song, she has applicated some strange language born into her head. I think she has 2 more songs with the same language:)I'm really sure of what I think

Rebeca
(nat.co.emmet.mi.us)

sangria
Re: The language is an Enya's fantasy   Friday, February 3, 2006 (12:03 p.m.)

Enya is signing in Gaelic. It is not a made up language.

ef
(host86-141-126-170.range86-141.bt
centralplus.com)

sangria
Re: The language is an Enya's fantasy   Sunday, March 19, 2006 (4:37 p.m.)

Enya had NOTHING to do with this song. Warbling woman does not equal Enya. She had no part in the song at all.

Enya is author of the song, she has applicated some strange language
> born into her head. I think she has 2 more songs with the same
> language:)I'm really sure of what I think

Xena
(ip70-160-184-110.hr.hr.cox.net)

sangria

Chris Wibberley
Re: The language is an Enya's fantasy   Saturday, May 13, 2006 (12:14 p.m.)

Enya wrote the song?

Chris Wibberley
(cache-los-ab04.proxy.aol.com)

Xena
Re: The language is an Enya's fantasy   Sunday, June 11, 2006 (9:09 a.m.)

> Enya wrote the song?

No Lisa Garrard wrote it

Isabelly
(d83-179-251-112.cust.tele2.fr)

sangria
NOT FROM ENYA !!!   Wednesday, May 24, 2006 (7:09 a.m.)

This song is not from Enya !!!
I just surfed Enya's Official website for half an hour to discover that it's not from her :

" I found/heard a song by Enya, but i can't find it here!? (Internet)
There are some songs avalaible in the Internet with Enya's name in the title. Some examples are Harry's Game or Adiemus. Harry's Game was released by Clannad and Adiemus is from a group called "Adiemus", some songs from Enigma were labelled "Enya" as well. There's also a bootleg from Eastern Europe called "Solas". This album was written by Ron Hardiman. The producer of this bootleg used Enya's name for their product. Sometimes people think that they have heard Enya singing on the soundtrack of "The Gladiator" or "Titanic". Please note that here on this website are listed all songs Enya has ever released. "

And Since the song is nowhere else to be mentioned on her site...(http://discography.enya.com/index_02.asp)

But I do think the lyrics have a meaning, though...

Bye for now !

Teddy
(203.91.193.6)

Cherryholmes
Re: It must be hebrew   Sunday, January 22, 2006 (8:06 p.m.)

Hi,

Can anyone let me know the links where i can download the songs of Gladiator

Juan
(87.216.149.159)

Cherryholmes
Re: It must be hebrew   Monday, May 15, 2006 (4:15 p.m.)

> I believe these lyrics, because of the word "Shalom" means Peace
> in hebrew. "Shaddai" is hebrew for Almighty.

> And the gutteral ch sound does orginate in Hebrew, Aramaic, and Arabic. It
> comes from the letter "chaf", not "shin". Like
> Chanukkah.

Hi,
I´m agree! It should be hebrew and it sounds like. But maybe Enya doesn´t pronounce correctly hebrew. It´s really hard to get a perfect pronuntation in any language if it is not ur mother language.
Juan

camiup
(m221.net81-66-117.noos.fr)

tc

dfdsfsd
Re: Now We Are Free - Latin?   Tuesday, April 27, 2004 (4:05 p.m.)

> Its beton.
Lisa Gerrard speaks beton.
Download Gortroz A Ran for
> more of it.

Sorry but what is BETON please?

dfdsfsd
(201-1-75-148.dsl.telesp.net.br)

camiup
Re: Now We Are Free - Latin?   Wednesday, February 16, 2005 (12:32 p.m.)

Lisa Gerrard speaks beton.
Download Gortroz A Ran for

> Sorry but what is BETON please?
BETON is the language of the heart

Frank
(h217-220-223-245.albacom.net)

tc
Re: Now We Are Free - Latin?   Monday, July 12, 2004 (9:46 a.m.)

> Its beton.
Lisa Gerrard speaks beton.
Download Gortroz A Ran for
> more of it.

Uh, maybe the laguage is Breton?

Frank

Ryuu
(159-134-48-93.as1.crw.carlow.eirc
om.net)

Guillermo
Re: Now We Are Free - Latin?   Sunday, July 9, 2006 (2:34 p.m.)

> Hi. Im from Spain and i now a little of Latin. I think lisa does not sing
> in Latin, its just an invented languaje. She usually does that in her Dead
> Can Dance songs. Some of those great vowel sounds don't exist in English,
> but maybe they can be written phonetically in some other languages...

The language used is not Hebrew, and its not made up either. The type of Latin that we have nowadays is book Latin, the Latin used by scholars and such. The language used here is the equivalent of street or gutter Latin. Its what the normal people of Rome would have spoken.

Dave
(c-66-229-241-65.we.client2.attbi.
com)

Dan Hayes

Christoph
Marty
Re: Now We Are Free lyrics found   Wednesday, January 21, 2004 (10:37 p.m.)

Anol shalom

Un ma la pech a nay
mee di nu ku

(Fast tempo, 4 times)
La la da pa da le na da na
Ve va da pa da le na la dumda

Anol shalom
Anol sheh ley kon-nud de ne um.
Flavum.
Dwwoondi
Alas sharum du koos
Shaley koot-tum.

Christoph
(pd95242b5.dip.t-dialin.net)

Dave
Re: Now We Are Free lyrics found   Thursday, September 30, 2004 (8:18 a.m.)

It´s definitly neither Latin (I speak Latin quite well) nor Hebrew, which i know from my Religious class. May it´s an invented fantasy language, or anyother, which I do not know

Marty
(node102.union.geneseo.edu)

Dave

Cristóbal Marcet
Xena
Joyce
I just made an impressionistic translation of the song   Saturday, October 29, 2005 (4:43 p.m.)

Here are the impressions I get hearing this song sung. Maybe it'll help guide some of you, maybe not. But this is what I interpret:

Almighty Freedom

Run and play in the field with the ponies

Almighty Freedom
Almighty freeer of the soul
Rest now.
Rest now.
And imagine,
Resting with peace at last.
It's lovely, this land.
It's lovely.
No one can believe or understand
How far I came just for
Family.
My family.
I should have been there with them when the world crashed down.
But now they rest with me.

I'll never forget
How I felt that moment:
I became free.

Cristóbal Marcet
(dup-200-65-0-9.prodigy.net.mx)

Marty

Ryuu
Lisa Gerrard uses "her own" language.   Saturday, December 10, 2005 (12:49 p.m.)

Lisa Gerrard's lyrics in "Now We Are Free" have no language known to man. However, we all -feel- the meaning. Remember, perhaps true intelligence is when we think with our hearts, not our minds.

Lisa Gerrard uses her own "language" or glosalalia, similar to what young children use to talk or sing. At least this is how LG has described her process in many interviews. My impression is that she finds doing this doesn't hamper the listener's ability to add their own experience with the song itself - words get in the way, kind of like now, for example.

I verified this in Lisa Gerrard's homepage.

Ryuu
(159-134-48-93.as1.crw.carlow.eirc
om.net)

Cristóbal Marcet

Kristi
Re: Lisa Gerrard uses "her own" language.   Sunday, July 9, 2006 (2:37 p.m.)

> Lisa Gerrard's lyrics in "Now We Are Free" have no language
> known to man. However, we all -feel- the meaning. Remember, perhaps true
> intelligence is when we think with our hearts, not our minds.

> Lisa Gerrard uses her own "language" or glosalalia, similar to
> what young children use to talk or sing. At least this is how LG has
> described her process in many interviews. My impression is that she finds
> doing this doesn't hamper the listener's ability to add their own
> experience with the song itself - words get in the way, kind of like now,
> for example.

> I verified this in Lisa Gerrard's homepage.

I thought it was gutter Latin - that the Latin we have nowadays is book Latin, used by scholars, and the Latin in the song is the Latin ordinary people would have spoken. No?

Kristi
(addr-70-96-108-86.lv.keyoncom.net)

Ryuu
Re: Lisa Gerrard uses "her own" language.   Thursday, August 31, 2006 (3:45 p.m.)

> I thought it was gutter Latin - that the Latin we have nowadays is book
> Latin, used by scholars, and the Latin in the song is the Latin ordinary
> people would have spoken. No?

Some of the words are Latin, some are Hebrew. But the style she is decribing, the child-like syllablistic sound, is becoming known as Adiemus (after a song used in "The Lord of the Rings.") The man who actually composed it has been performing "adiemus"-type songs for years.
While I agree with Lisa that most of this song IS adiemus in style, there still are a few "real" words to it.

Xena
(ip70-160-184-110.hr.hr.cox.net)

Marty
Re: I just made an impressionistic translation of the song   Friday, May 19, 2006 (9:50 p.m.)

Wow.......That is really good

Joyce
(220-137-107-170.dynamic.hinet.net)

Marty
Re: I just made an impressionistic translation of the song   Monday, January 22, 2007 (7:57 a.m.)
• Now Playing: WCPE classical music station

That is beautifully written ~~^^

(cpe-65-26-214-202.wi.rr.com)

Dan Hayes

alex
DeVoUrEr
DV
dream
Enrique Page
Joyce
Re: Now We Are Free lyrics found   Friday, January 30, 2004 (8:33 p.m.)

> Does anyone know what language the lyrics are in? Looks like Hebrew to me.
> Thoughts?
I was lookin' for gladiator soundtrack and i found
Just
> click on it.

It's definitely not Hebrew. First of all, it's not Hebrew because I'd understand it if it were, and second, it's not Hebrew because I'm pretty sure I heard a bunch of "ch" sounds in there ("ch" as in "chin," not the Hebrew sound -- an unvoiced velar fricative like the final sounds in "Bach" or "loch" -- that's often transliterated as "ch"), and Hebrew doesn't have that sound. I could be wrong: they could be "sh," but they sound a little too hard to me.

There is something in there that phonetically sounds like "shalom," -- something that occurs frequently in her music --but I believe Lisa Gerrard is engaging in glossolalia, and it's a random, coincidental, combination of phonemes. I recall reading once that she shapes the sounds to the music.

Hope that helps.

alex
(dialup-4.158.27.168.Dial1.Chicago
1.Level3.net)

Phaedra
Re: Now We Are Free lyrics found   Sunday, April 11, 2004 (2:42 a.m.)

if this helps tell me thank you

DeVoUrEr
(ce01pc01.netcabo.net)

DeVoUrEr
Re: Now We Are Free lyrics found   Saturday, December 18, 2004 (10:56 p.m.)

look at this site this have the lyric =P and "shalom" its on the liric

DeVoUrEr
(ce01pc01.netcabo.net)

DeVoUrEr
Re: Now We Are Free lyrics found   Saturday, December 18, 2004 (11:03 p.m.)

look at this site this have the lyric =P and "shalom" its on the
lyric

one more thing go to www.lisagerrard.com u have some info about the lyricis
"Your questions and Lisa's answers.

Lisa is about halfway there with these questions, we expect to have them all answerd in a few years.

-Can you describe the language or thinking behind your vocalization?"

DV
(ce01pc01.netcabo.net)

Phaedra
Re: Now We Are Free lyrics found   Sunday, December 19, 2004 (12:51 a.m.)

shalom is a jew word

dream
(cpe-147-10-174-30.nsw.bigpond.net
.au)

dream
Don
Re: Now We Are Free lyrics found   Thursday, December 23, 2004 (12:34 a.m.)

its irish..gaelic, whicheva you want to call it

dream
(cpe-147-10-174-30.nsw.bigpond.net
.au)

dream

Lena
Re: Now We Are Free lyrics found   Thursday, December 23, 2004 (12:55 a.m.)

> its irish..gaelic, whicheva you want to call it

hmmm..well actually now that ive looked at it again it seems to be a mix of alot of different languages.

Lena
(cache-rtc-ad05.proxy.aol.com)

dream

graengalar
Re: Now We Are Free lyrics found   Tuesday, April 12, 2005 (1:51 p.m.)

> hmmm..well actually now that ive looked at it again it seems to be a mix
> of alot of different languages.

The lyrics are most definately Gaelic. The reason that some of the words may look like other languages is that most of the European languages have some common words from intermingling among cultures. We all know that the Romance Languages are similar, but since the Celts occupied most of Europe before Rome's hayday, Celtic words were added and adapted into other languages. For example, the Gaelic word Chrói (heart) is similar to the French word Coeur. The form of Irish-Gaelic used in the song is the old form, so it might throw some people off at first.

(rrcs-67-53-151-186.west.biz.rr.co

Lena

Austen
Re: Now We Are Free lyrics found   Monday, August 1, 2005 (3:29 p.m.)

> The lyrics are most definately Gaelic.

No, they're not. I speak Gaelic, too, and they're not Gaelic, or Hebrew, or a Romance language.

They're melismatic singing, not a spoken language.

Austen
(c-71-236-195-246.hsd1.or.comcast.
net)

Phaedra
Re: Now We Are Free lyrics found   Saturday, July 29, 2006 (1:08 p.m.)

> No, they're not. I speak Gaelic, too, and they're not Gaelic, or Hebrew,
> or a Romance language.

> They're melismatic singing, not a spoken language.

Hi Phaedra!

I am so glad to have found someone who speaks Gaelic! I have been searching desperately for someone who can treanslate a prhase from Now We Are Free into Gaelic.

Could you please tell me what "Run With Me Now, Soldier of Rome" is in Gaelic?\

Thanks!!

graengalar
(host199-156.lsdepts.ucsb.edu)

Lena
Re: Now We Are Free lyrics found   Saturday, March 10, 2007 (10:15 p.m.)

> The lyrics are most definately Gaelic. The reason that some of the words
> may look like other languages is that most of the European languages have
> some common words from intermingling among cultures. We all know that the
> Romance Languages are similar, but since the Celts occupied most of Europe
> before Rome's hayday, Celtic words were added and adapted into other
> languages. For example, the Gaelic word Chrói (heart) is similar to the
> French word Coeur. The form of Irish-Gaelic used in the song is the old
> form, so it might throw some people off at first.

The words are similar because those languages are related. Not because one borrowed from another (though they did do that). Also, one would expect Old Irish to be more like Latin than Modern Irish is like Spanish. So, if these lyrics are in fact real words they would seem to be a combination of several languages (though it seems likely they are contentless words by what is written below).

Don
(i122114091.rivernet.com.au)

dream

Cody
Re: Now We Are Free lyrics found   Friday, October 14, 2005 (7:12 a.m.)

can anyone translate this wierd language? the song is fantastic but i don't get what it's all about

Cody
(host-205-241-37-199.acelerate.net)
Don

misterysong
Re: Now We Are Free lyrics found   Sunday, January 8, 2006 (10:19 p.m.)

> can anyone translate this wierd language? the song is fantastic but i
> don't get what it's all about
well sure it talks about freedom =

misterysong
(dsl-201-102-24-130.prod-infinitum
.com.mx)

Cody
Re: Now We Are Free lyrics found   Friday, February 10, 2006 (1:12 p.m.)

well sure it talks about freedom =

Es hebreo, misterio develado:;)

Anol shalom (Bienvenida sea la Paz)
Anol sheh lay konnud de ne um {shaddai Bienvenido sea todo aquello que trae la luz del dios sacerdote
Flavum (abundancia)
Nom de leesh (que no cesa)
Ham de nam um das (que recibimos
La um de (de manera copiosa)
Flavne

We de ze zu bu (feliz estoy)
We de sooo a ru (feliz permaneceré)
Un va-a pesh a lay (escuchando el sonido de la felicidad)
Un vi-I bee (que ya escuché mas veces)
Un da la pech ni sa (pero no reconocí)
(Aaahh) (Por qué será )
Un di-I lay na day (escuchando esa música)
Un ma la pech a nay escuchando el sonido de la felicidad
mee di nu ku (subo hasta el cielo)

(Fast tempo, 4 times)
La la da pa da le na da na ( la la, así suena, asi es)
Ve va da pa da le na la dumda (asi suena melodiosa en mis oidos)

Anol shalom (bienvenida sea la paz)
Anol sheh ley kon-nud de ne um. (Bienvenido sea todo esto)
Flavum. (abundancia)
Flavum. (abundancia)
M-ai shondol-lee ( nos llena de gozo)
Flavu {Live on abundancia (nuestras vidas)
Lof flesh lay (todo esto)
Nof ne (es tan asombroso)
Nom de lis (angelical)
Ham de num um dass (que lo recibi

Lof flesh lay (todo esto)
Nof ne (es tan asombroso)
Nom de lis (angelical)
Ham de num um dass (que lo recibimos )
La um de (lo recibimos)
Flavne.. (abundancia)
Flay en el aire
Shom de no retonando
Ma-lun des en este dia
Dwondi. magico
Dwwoondi maaaaagico
Alas sharum du koos que cambia nuestro destino
Shaley koot-tum.gratitud para siempre

Enrique Page
(c-67-167-223-182.client.comcast.n
et)

Xatly
T3traPak
Re: Now We Are Free lyrics found   Saturday, December 25, 2004 (10:59 a.m.)

MWA HAHAHA...yes yes...am the best....anyways found the lyris to the song. =-) and the site. and yes it says Shalom.. the site is.

http://www.stlyrics.com/lyrics/gladiator/nowwearefree.htm thats the exact site

and if u can get to it...i will also post the lyrics them self. its hard to read like that but am sorry...those are the lyrics,..hope ur happy =-)..write me at Kike24_2003@yahoo.com if ya like them and if u were able to get to the site..id like to know =-) thanks have fun

Artist: Lisa Gerrard Lyrics

Un ma la pech a nay
Mee di nu ku

(Fast tempo, 4 times)
La la da pa da le na da na
Ve va da pa da le na la dumda

Anol shalom
Anol sheh ley kon-nud de ne um.
Flavum.
Shaley koot-tum.

Xatly
(pcsp163-154.supercabletv.net.co)

Enrique Page

geraldine
Catherine S. Todd
Re: Now We Are Free lyrics found   Wednesday, August 10, 2005 (11:42 p.m.)

Could you give me a translation of this song?

> MWA HAHAHA...yes yes...am the best....anyways found the lyris to the song.
> =-) and the site. and yes it says Shalom.. the site is.

> http://www.stlyrics.com/lyrics/gladiator/nowwearefree.htm thats the
> exact site

> and if u can get to it...i will also post the lyrics them self. its hard
> to read like that but am sorry...those are the lyrics,..hope ur happy
> =-)..write me at Kike24_2003@yahoo.com if ya like them and if u were
> able to get to the site..id like to know =-) thanks have fun

> Artist: Lisa Gerrard Lyrics

Mee di nu ku

> (Fast tempo, 4 times)
La la da pa da le na da na
Ve va da pa da le
> na la dumda

> Anol shalom
Anol sheh ley kon-nud de ne um.
Flavum.
Alas sharum
> du koos
Shaley koot-tum.

geraldine
(ool-182e8166.dyn.optonline.net)

Xatly
i need translations   Wednesday, October 26, 2005 (2:07 p.m.)

i need the translation of the enya song(now we are free) i have been looking since forever

Catherine S. Todd
(ac5-webproxy53.direcpc.com)

Xatly
Now We Are Free lyrics - No translation, Lisa Gerrard "talks to God"   Sunday, April 1, 2007 (5:03 p.m.)
• Now Playing: Now We are Free, Gladiator

3-2011 Update on Lisa Gerrard's made-up language, used when she "talks to God:"

Wikipedia: "Gerrard sings many of her songs, such as Now We Are Free, Come Tenderness, Serenity, The Valley of the Moon, Tempest, Pilgrimage of Lost Children and Sanvean in an idioglossia (an idiosyncratic language) that she has developed since the age of twelve."

2007: Here's all the info I could find about the lyrics to "Now We Are Free." It's a "made up" language sung by Lisa Gerrard. Lisa has been with the group "The Dead Can Dance," not Enya. See: http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/7773/DCDLinks.html

The info I posted on filmtracks contains links to actual interviews with Hans Zimmer & Lisa Gerrard who discuss the the song and the words. http://www.dreamworksfansite.com/gladiator/interviews/Hans_Zimmer.htm , and a link to Lisa's website "Sanctuary." http://www.sanctuary-lisagerrard.com/

Her own special language is one she has had since she was a child, and how she "talks to God." It's a beautiful song. I have pasted it all below.

Here's the link to the filmtracks.com website where I posted what I could find: http://www.filmtracks.com/comments/titles/gladiator/index.cgi?read=840 and http://www.filmtracks.com/comments/titles/gladiator/index.cgi?read=739 from Cristóbal Marcet, with other comments by Nate Jackson ("End to Mystery Language!").

Read through everything below, including quotes from interviews etc. Hope this helps. Yours, Catherine Todd

P.S. I just realized I may have misspelled her name as “Gerraud” instead of Lisa Gerrard on filmtracks.com; will have to make a correction to this.

---

Un ma la pech a nay
Mee di nu ku

(Fast tempo, 4 times)
La la da pa da le na da na
Ve va da pa da le na la dumda

Anol shalom
Anol sheh ley kon-nud de ne um.
Flavum.
Dwondi.
Dwwoondi
Alas sharum du koos
Shaley koot-tum.
---

END TO MYSTERY LANGUAGE II:

Q: What is the language and lyrics of the song “Now We Are Free” in Gladiator?

A: There are no lyrics any language, only a special made-up language that Lisa Gerrard has used since she was a child to “talk to God.” See interview below.

Thanks also to Nate Jackson for some of the interview / web references (below), and lyrics I found on the web. Fascinating "made up language" mystery SOLVED! It is not Irish-Gaelic or Latin, or anything else. It is Lisa's own language. See more below for the interview with Gerrard:

Q: "WHAT IS THAT LANGUAGE?

A: “I sing in the language of the Heart,” begins Gerrard. “It’s an INVENTED LANGUAGE that I’ve had for a very long time. I believe I started singing in it when I was about 12. Roughly that time. And I believed that I was speaking to God when I sang in that language."

---

Here’s a note from an interview with Hans Zimmer, composer of the soundtrack for “Gladiator, when questioned about the “made up language”:

see: 8. Throughout the film we hear a woman singing in joy and sorrow. What language is that and what is she saying?

It is Lisa Gerrard's voice. It is not words or any particular language. Instead of LALA or HMHMHM, we wanted to try something different, so we did that. It was funny how Ridley and I played the entire film with music and no dialogue. After watching Ridley said that the haunting voice of Lisa does tell us the story from an ancient language, only it’s not.

Click here to visit: Gladiator Soundtrack Lyrics Page:
http://www.stlyrics.com/lyrics/gladiator/nowwearefree.htm http://www.stlyrics.com/g/gladiator.htm

---

From Nate Jackson ("End to Mystery Language!") on filmtracks.com:

Quote: "SAID BY ZIMMER HIMSELF, THEY MEAN NOTHING!!!!!HE said quote, "you better be recording when Lisa starts to sing because whatever she starts singing cannot be duplicated."

From Nate Jackson, on Filmtracks.com: second post:

All OF YOU LISTEN!!! Friday, March 29, 2002 (9:21 p.m.)

Wrong.

TO END THIS LONG LINE OF QUESTIONS ABOUT THE LYRICS OF "NOW WE ARE FREE. "THEY MEAN NOTHING!!!!!!!!NOTHING AT ALL!!!!!ALONG WITH ALL THE OTHER LYRICS SANG BY LISA IN THE WHOLE MOVIE OF GLADIATOR!!!!!!!!!!! You people should try reading interviews! GOOD GOD!!!!!!!!I thought I may have cleared this up near the top of this strand of comments and responses comments and responses. SAID BY ZIMMER HIMSELF, THEY MEAN NOTHING!!!!!HE said quote, "you better be recording when Lisa starts to sing because whatever she starts singing cannot be duplicated."

THANK YOU AND GOODNIGHT!!!!

---

• Posted by: Nate Jackson
• Date: Monday, July 24, 2006, at 12:21 p.m.
• IP Address: ppp-70-248-188-241.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net

END TO MYSTERY LANGUAGE!

"When you put the picture up - and you'd better be recording, if she (Lisa) sees the picture and starts singing amazing things will start happening and you'd better capture it." -Hans Zimmer (interview)

Lisa uses a "language grown by itself" as she puts it. It's not a real language- she improvises them... Yet it may sound like Greek or Turkish, it is totally made up. Hence the "watching the screen and just singing, and you better be recording when she starts or you'll miss the best stuff." from the quote by Zimmer above.

(THIS QUOTE IS FROM A BIOGRAPHY/INTERVIEW WITH LISA GERRARD)
It is enchanting during the finale of Ridley Scott’s Roman epic and the QUESTION ON EVERYONE'S LIPS IS: WHAT IS THAT LANGUAGE? “I sing in the language of the Heart,” begins Gerrard. “It’s an INVENTED LANGUAGE that I’ve had for a very long time. I believe I started singing in it when I was about 12. Roughly that time. And I believed that I was speaking to God when I sang in that language. Now I am filled with the Holy Ghost, that is the promise in the Bible the Church will not talk about, because this secret would mean the fall of the religion.” The idea is that one can have a personal relationship with God without the interference of an organization like the Church. http://www.geocities.com/temptrack/gerrard1.html .

And that is it ladys and gentleman! I took the liberty of Capitalizing the important parts that would answer you questions. This is end to all of your questions that have been asked about the "language" she sings in. As I have tried to state in the past, it is all made up! I even sited the website for all ye of little faith. Thank you and goodnight!

-Nate Jackson

I really don't know how much longer I'm going to keep on trying to convince these people who attempting to figure out what language (of any song that was sung in any way on this album) this soundtrack is sung in? Please look at the website, IT'S TRUE!

---

• Comments about: Gladiator (Hans Zimmer/Lisa Gerrard)

• Posted by: Cristóbal Marcet
• Date: Saturday, December 10, 2005, at 1:49 p.m.
• IP Address: dup-200-65-0-9.prodigy.net.mx
• In Response to: I just made an impressionistic translation of the song (Marty)

Lisa Gerrard uses "her own" language.

I verified this in Lisa Gerrard's homepage.

---

4.1.2007:

End to the “Mystery Language II”

From Catherine Todd on filmtracks.com:

On filmtracks.com, I have seen this language attributed to "Irish, Gaelic, Latin, Spanish, Armenian, Greek, Hebrew, a mix of ancient languages, or even ‘it didn't matter’..." It just goes to show what lengths people will go to when they don't have "the facts" and are trying to figure something out. Just like former controversy over “how the pyramids were built,” I suppose. In any event, we have it in interviews with Lisa Gerrard and Hans Zimmer, that this is a special language that speaks from the soul directly to God, that somehow, we all "know." Amen.

Yours, Catherine Todd

---

4.1.07

It is a made-up language of Lisa Gerrard’s, all her own. It is beautiful and moving and heart-rending, and I believe really does “speak to God.” I hope this answers the question. Sincerely, Catherine Todd

(Message edited on Tuesday, March 8, 2011, at 12:52 a.m.)

T3traPak
(80.80.170.122)

Enrique Page
Great Song   Wednesday, March 21, 2007 (7:14 p.m.)

dono what the song say but i know tht when i hear this i cry :$
its one of the best songs ever made
it never will die this i know

Joyce
(lib.cc.ntu.edu.tw)

Phaedra
Re: Now We Are Free lyrics found   Monday, January 22, 2007 (8:07 a.m.)

Very informative, Thanks !

Andre Letain
(s0106001109d8c6d9.no.shawcable.ne
t)

Dan Hayes
Re: Now We Are Free lyrics found   Wednesday, October 8, 2008 (9:33 p.m.)

> Does anyone know what language the lyrics are in? Looks like Hebrew to me.
> Thoughts?
> I was lookin' for gladiator soundtrack and i found
> Just click on it.

In my personal opinion, I think the words are coming from Lisa Gerrard's subconscious and perhaps linked to some kind of collective unconscious. For all we know she may have lived a past-life in some ancient land and the lyrics are partial fabrication and partial real language.

Gonzo
(85-210-6-246.dsl.pipex.com)

Arya

Marie
Re: Now We Are Free lyrics found   Friday, March 24, 2006 (1:22 p.m.)

> Hi everybody
I was lookin' for gladiator soundtrack and i found
> "Now WE Are Free"Trance remix which is really perfect.When I was
> skimming this page I saw some of you guys lookin for the lyrics.You can
> find it on " http://top-lyrics.de/display.php?ID=5440 ".
Just click on it.

> Have Fun!!!

I think the reality is this...it doesnt really matter what language the song is sung in, and what the artist is saying...This song appeals to an unspoken language we all share. Emotions. Enjoy!

Marie
(20119063250.user.veloxzone.com.br)

Gonzo
Re: Now We Are Free lyrics found   Thursday, April 12, 2007 (8:52 p.m.)

Amazing how, after these years, people from various countries are still interested and love this song. It tells us a lot about how our differences don't matter. We can FEEL it.

Henry
(cpe-00138f848250.cpe.cableonda.ne
t)

Arya
Re: Now We Are Free lyrics found   Friday, June 27, 2008 (11:55 p.m.)
• Now Playing: Now we are free

This song makes me sad, and I'm not quite sure why... I listened for the first time tonight, it was playing as a background in an anti-abortion site, but I'm not sure if that's the reason or if the song is sad itself... but don't take me wrong, I like it a lot... it's just contradictory

bianca
(86.123.247.153)

Arya

summer
I am in love with this song   Thursday, June 1, 2006 (4:32 a.m.)

Armenian,Hebrew,Latin,Gaelic....When are we getting a true,genuine, translation of the lyrics? I like it so much that I could listen to it over and over again(I am just doing that)and not stop for anything.And there would be nothing that could make me more happy than having the translation.So,pleaaase...
If someone knows it ,be" merciful "(I ommited to say that I am a great fan of the Gladiator movie too,Joaquin is the best!) Hugs for everyone reading this!

summer
(ool-44c052d1.dyn.optonline.net)

bianca

kimy
Re: I am in love with this song   Thursday, June 22, 2006 (11:40 p.m.)

> Armenian,Hebrew,Latin,Gaelic....When are we getting a true,genuine,
> translation of the lyrics? I like it so much that I could listen to it
> over and over again(I am just doing that)and not stop for anything.And
> there would be nothing that could make me more happy than having the
> translation.So,pleaaase...
If someone knows it ,be" merciful
> "(I ommited to say that I am a great fan of the Gladiator movie
> too,Joaquin is the best!)

> Hugs for everyone reading this!

Well, for whatever the lyrics are translated to or if they are any known language at all, I think everyone that has posted a message in the past several years, can all agree that this song is so beautiful and lisa gerrard with her stunning voice, makes us all wish that it did have a literal translation . Words that you can associate to a specific event in your life, afterall, your life is a movie, and just like in the movies certain songs tend to make us remember them more than the next.

kimy
(ool-44c13f41.dyn.optonline.net)

summer

Shanok De Danann
Re: I am in love with this song   Friday, July 7, 2006 (9:28 p.m.)

I LOVE THIS SONG ..I DONT KNOW HOW MANY TIMES I VE SEEN THIS MOVIE AND EVERY TIME I SEE IT I LOVE IT A LITTLE BIT MORE ...THE MOVIE THE SONG IS BEAUTIFUL ..IT TOUCHES YOUR SOUL ,BRINGS PEACE AND COMFORT .
I DONT KNOW WHAT LANGUAGE IT IS ..AND I GUESS I DONT CARE BUT IAM TRYING TO LEARN THE LYRICS POSTED AND SING ALONG WITH ENYA.
WHAT A TREAT IT IS.....ANOL SHALOM...........

II
If someone knows it ,be" merciful

> Well, for whatever the lyrics are translated to or if they are any known
> language at all, I think everyone that has posted a message in the past
> several years, can all agree that this song is so beautiful and lisa
> gerrard with her stunning voice, makes us all wish that it did have a
> literal translation . Words that you can associate to a specific event in
> your life, afterall, your life is a movie, and just like in the movies
> certain songs tend to make us remember them more than the next.

Shanok De Danann
(83.red-217-125-186.dynamicip.rima
-tde.net)

kimy

Theo
the real language of the song   Tuesday, July 11, 2006 (9:46 a.m.)

I have been surfing the net and what i've found is that the real language of the song is Gaulish, wich is near ancient celtic.

[...]
One question arising from a score like Gladiator is, "What is Roman music?" Many people seem to believe that Roman music is grand, majestic etc... This belief was created by movies such as Ben-Hur, but the truth is Roman music could much better be described as solo string music. Thus while Gladiator may not be the grand orchestral experience some movie scores were, it comes much closer to achieving realism in a historical sense than some people may think. To verify something, the vocals in "Now We Are Free" and other tracks are in Gaulish, a language closely related to Celtic. Instead of using the obvious choice (Latin), it seems that Zimmer and Gerrard looked more to the west; after all, Gaulish was used in the same time period as Latin. [...]

Here you have the link to the web http://www.altpop.com/stc/reviews/gladiator.htm

I hope this can help you. I really love this song and Lisa's voice. Bye.

PS: sorry if i don't speak English properly, but i'm Spanish

Theo
(d40-38.rb.lax.centurytel.net)

Shanok De Danann

SM
Re: the real language of the song   Wednesday, July 12, 2006 (8:03 a.m.)

I am a linguist in the US, and I have to agree with you. Gaulish seems to be the choice; I first considered Greek or Latin, but neither fit. Latin is far different than what we hear...I speak it well.

By the way, your English is excellent. I speak decent Spanish.

SM
(193.189.67.38)

Theo

shane kinsella
Re: the real language of the song   Wednesday, July 26, 2006 (9:14 a.m.)

Lisa Gerrard has said many times that she has made up the language. It is not related to any language, and it does not mean anything. I don't think she has made words directly for anything. They are just wordlike sounds made into a song.

Although the words are made up, she remembers the words and are performed exactly the same in live performances.

That is all.

shane kinsella
(mail.priestley.ac.uk)

SM

Catherine Todd
Labyrinth
Karl
Re: the real language of the song   Thursday, September 28, 2006 (3:49 a.m.)

doesn't anybody know the true language? It's Irish Gaelic!! I should know, my father was irish and his first language was gaelic, also this song has been repeated by an irish trio called triniti, of which i am a huge fan, it is all about the freedom for the irish from th british empire, and how they are glad to have the land classed as their own, as it was for the ancestors before the british intrusion.

Catherine Todd
(66.249.201.137)

shane kinsella
Re: the real language of the song   Monday, October 23, 2006 (7:37 a.m.)
• Now Playing: "Now We Are Free" from Gladiator

April 1, 2007 Correction:

See "End to Mystery Language II" where Lisa Gerrard and Hans Zimmer state that this is a "made up language" where Lisa "talks to God." It is in the language of the soul, which we all, on some level, recognize. Amen.

Dear Shane,

Thanks for your post:

I posted a request for an English translation after reading this, but then came across another post called: “End to Mystery Language” and gave this website http://www.geocities.com/temptrack/gerrard1.html for an interview with Lisa Garraud stating she “makes it up, it is her own language...” or words to that effect. I haven’t read the interview yet, but perhaps she is referring to other songs.

What you said about “Now We Are Free” as a song about freedom of the Irish from the British makes more sense, and the fact that Triniti has also recorded it. I hope I can get a chance to listen to their version as well.

My grandfather and his brothers all came here from Ireland and I would love to know more. Any info would be appreciated.

Yours, Catherine Todd, CTodd1000@gmail.com

(Message edited on Sunday, April 1, 2007, at 5:20 p.m.)

Labyrinth
(pcaqi.sei.cmu.edu)

shane kinsella
Re: the real language of the song   Tuesday, January 29, 2008 (12:44 p.m.)

Please prove this assertion. If it's not Hebrew, I'll be very surprised.

> doesn't anybody know the true language? It's Irish Gaelic!! I should know,
> my father was irish and his first language was gaelic, also this song has
> been repeated by an irish trio called triniti, of which i am a huge fan,
> it is all about the freedom for the irish from th british empire, and how
> they are glad to have the land classed as their own, as it was for the
> ancestors before the british intrusion.

Karl
(c-24-118-163-170.hsd1.mn.comcast.
net)

shane kinsella

Guy Noir
Re: the real language of the song   Tuesday, November 11, 2008 (3:44 p.m.)
• Now Playing: wings for marie (parts 1 and 2 combined) by Tool

I have found a possible translation, I do not believe it though, they say it is only hebrew but the translation I did didn't work in hebrew.

what I did is a combined translation of multiple languages. I still did not get very far and I have no idea if any of it is even right, but I liked the idea

Anol shalom
Anol sheh lay out a konnud of
Flavum
Nom de leesh
Ham de nam um das
One of the
Flavne...

We drank from ze zu
We had sooo of ru
A will has a lay Pesh
Un vi-i bee
One of the unlucky it is
Un di-i lay that day
Un but the unlucky and nay
Mee now for the benefit of

La la, but that it only on that
He knows that it is going to only on the dumda

Anol shalom
Anol sheh-nud socially constructed ley not mind
Flavum
Flavum
M-ai shondol-lee
Flavu...
limits flesh lay
Nof not
Nom de lis
Ham of the fact that a num
The order of
Flavne...
Flay
Shomen of nommer
Ma-on Monday
Dwondi
Dwwoondi
Alas sharum of koos
Shaley koot-tum

Guy Noir
(198.208.251.24)

Karl

Guy Noir
Re: the real language of the song   Thursday, August 22, 2013 (4:07 p.m.)

> I have found a possible translation, I do not believe it though, they say
> it is only hebrew but the translation I did didn't work in hebrew.

> http://www.openhandweb.org/now_we_are_free_theme_from_gladiator_hebrew_english_translation_lisa_gerrard
> what I did is a combined translation of multiple languages. I still did
> not get very far and I have no idea if any of it is even right, but I
> liked the idea

> Anol shalom
> Anol sheh lay out a konnud of
> Flavum
> Nom de leesh
> Ham de nam um das
> One of the
> Flavne...

> We drank from ze zu
> We had sooo of ru
> A will has a lay Pesh
> Un vi-i bee
> One of the unlucky it is
> Un di-i lay that day
> Un but the unlucky and nay
> Mee now for the benefit of

> La la, but that it only on that
> He knows that it is going to only on the dumda

> Anol shalom
> Anol sheh-nud socially constructed ley not mind
> Flavum
> Flavum
> M-ai shondol-lee
> Flavu...
> limits flesh lay
> Nof not
> Nom de lis
> Ham of the fact that a num
> The order of
> Flavne...
> Flay
> Shomen of nommer
> Ma-on Monday
> Dwondi
> Dwwoondi
> Alas sharum of koos
> Shaley koot-tum

What would be nice, if she would create a translation of her made up language into a known language, or at least provide the meaning so that one can sing this song with the meaning intact but in an existing known or dead language (latin, etc.). Other wise, its basically sung like an ariah, the voice as a musical instrument.

Guy Noir
(198.208.251.24)

Guy Noir
Re: the real language of the song   Thursday, August 22, 2013 (5:35 p.m.)

> What would be nice, if she would create a translation of her made up
> language into a known language, or at least provide the meaning so that
> one can sing this song with the meaning intact but in an existing known or
> dead language (latin, etc.). Other wise, its basically sung like an ariah,
> the voice as a musical instrument.

Mercifully, a lyrics website gives the English wording credit to Hans Zimmer:
HANS ZIMMER
Now We Are Free lyrics

Almighty Freedom
Almighty freer of the soul
Be free
Walk with me
Through the golden fields
So lovely
Lovely

We regret our sins, but...
We sew our own fate and
Under my face I remain feeble
Under my face, I smile

Aaahh)

Even alone/afraid
Under my face I will be waiting

Run with me now soldier of Rome

Be free
And imagine
Free with peace at last
It's lovely
It's lovely, this land
No one can believe or understand
How far I came just for my lovely family
I should have been there
with them when the world crashed down
But now they rest with me.

I'll never forget
How I felt that moment
I became free.

Per the lyrics website that gives Hans Zimmer the credit of the intended original English lyrics, we may have the answer every one is looking for.
So what we have here is the intended lyrics in English, but the genius was using Ms Gerrard's adlibbed/ideosyncratic/ idioglossia/ adult baby talk or what ever you want to call it. I would like to hear the English version one day. But Ms. Gerrard version caught everyone by surprise and Hans Zummer did not want to lose the priceless and unique sound emanating from Ms Gerrards voice. So he had to move quick and use what ever language Ms. Gerrard was using. Sort of the fear of the Lost Cord. You hear it once and never again. SO he said record it and use it. The one chance in an eternity.

Her voise is described as such:
Gerrard possesses the vocal range of a contralto, spanning from Gò2 to Bó5, a total of 3 octaves and one note.[6] Her voice has been described as rich, deep, dark, mournful and unique.[7][8][9]

She also has the ability to extend upwards into the dramatic mezzo-soprano range, examples of such would be on the songs The Host of Seraphim, Elegy, Space Weaver, Come This Way and One Perfect Sunrise.[10][11][citation needed] Gerrard however performs more predominantly in the dramatic contralto range in her other songs, Sanvean, Sacrifice, Largo and Not Yet.[12][13][14][15]

Gerrard sings many of her songs, such as "Now We Are Free", "Come Tenderness", "Serenity", "The Valley of the Moon", "Tempest", "Pilgrimage of Lost Children", "Coming Home" and "Sanvean" in idioglossia.

I hope this info puts to rest the whole dilema.
In You tube, there are other beautiful and just as wonderful lyrucs that attempt to explain the same song. But I feel the website that give Hans Zimmer the credit fior the English translation as a best answer.