1. Halloween
    2. Venom
   3. House With a Clock/Walls
  4. The Nun
 5. Crazy Rich Asians
6. The Meg
Comments about the soundtrack for Hannibal (Hans Zimmer)
Dante's La Vita Nuova - Vide cor meum

bradeast
(rdu26-234-083.nc.rr.com)

Gene
Tony
Jeff Mills
joan
Dante's La Vita Nuova - Vide cor meum   Saturday, February 24, 2001 (8:34 p.m.)

Hi there!

I haven't been able to get the scene from Hannibal or the #12 track out of my mind since I saw it two weeks ago (the aria more so than the opera scene). Can anyone tell me where in La Vita Nuova the sonnet that Vide cor meum was adapted from is? Numinous!

Brad

Gene
(proxy3-external.adubn1.nj.home.co

bradeast

Gene
Vide Cor Meum/Dante's "Vita Nuova"   Sunday, March 4, 2001 (9:27 a.m.)

Well, This is involved but please stay with me...
We've all had this love affair with "Vide Cor Meum," written by Patrick Cassidy/Libretto from Dante's "La Vita Nuova"/... Certainly extremely beautiful music. And where is this entire opera and more music from it?
I have an opinion I'd like to share. I like Hannibal. -Not his cannibalistic or sociopathic nature, but we got a glimpse into the man this time. And the opera scene and following conversation with Detective Pazzi's wife did it for me.
As they exchanged verses about "The Eaten Heart," (I believe it was from Dante's "Vita Nuova" -I finally get to use and appreciate something from school! -LOL!) I saw passion inside Hannibal. The dream Dante has in the story, in which an angel holds his thought to be "deceased" Beatrice, is interpreted like any other dream. He doesn't actually "eat" her heart. It has to do with his love for her and how he might deal with her death should she actually die.

It's very involved, I know, but I thought the music, the following dialogue, and where it came from, were so perfectly placed together, and it may very well be the single most beautiful thing I've ever seen. Nevermind the link between the cannibalism and "The Eaten Heart." -It's much much deeper than that. I hope you can see it too.

I think Hannibal and Clarice share more than the cliche' "I respect you but I'll get you anyway" thing. (like Deniro and Pacino in "Heat") If you notice, Hannibal would never hurt Clarice. Only those he percieves as beneath him or crooked types. He despises them but he definitely loves Clarice. Sorry, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Thx for letting me share. Best regards to everyone. --Gene

Gene
(proxy3-external.adubn1.nj.home.co

Gene

Dave
P.S. (reading "Vita Nuova")   Sunday, March 4, 2001 (9:38 a.m.)

I guess you'll have to invade your library and read Dante's story. But interpretation is key. It's like reading "Le Mort D'Arthur." Try to get an english translation but I think some good reading of excellent prose, and using your mind and heart, would definitely be a change from TV! -LOL!
By the way, (I'm not an opera fan but I LOVE this...) if you get the soundtrack, don't forget to really raise the volume on track 12 ("Vide Cor Meum")--Get to KNOW your neighbors! -LOL! Bye for now, --Gene

Dave
(213-202-128-19.dsl.esat.net)

Gene
Re: P.S. (reading "Vita Nuova")   Sunday, May 2, 2004 (9:38 a.m.)

Hey, As far as I know, Hans Zimmer wrote the music to Vide Cor Meum not Patrick Casidy.

Tony
(du-214-24.nat.adsl.claranet.fr)

bradeast

rich hill
Stephanie
anonymous
Borislav
Re: Dante's La Vita Nuova - Vide cor meum   Tuesday, August 5, 2003 (12:15 p.m.)

Waoh - I have been watching Hannibal on cable and love the film (apart from a few corny bits). I share all your entusiasm for Vide Cor Meum. I copied the song and listened to it constantly on my trip last week to Florence which is a beautiful city steeped in Dantean and Renaissance culture. On watching the film again last night, I promised myself that I would find the lyrics of this libretto today, and my search has borne its fruit. Please find below what you have been looking for. I found it on the following website:
also see these websites for furter Dante resources.
let it be known that this man's work is not only the realm of serial killers, but of those who seek beauty in words.
ciao,enjoy,
Tony
Ps if anyone else has interesting comments on Dante or beautiful classical or opera music, please let me know,
ta ta,
T

Vide Cor Meum

He saw Beatrice Portinari across a chapel and he loved her at that instant and for the rest of his life. But then had a disturbing dream - Joyous Love seemed to me, the while he held my heart in his hands, and in his arms, My lady lay asleep wrapped in a veil - He woke her then, and trembling and obedient, she ate that burning heart out of his hand. Weeping, I saw him then depart from me. He saw her eat his heart!

Do you believe a man could become so obsessed with a woman from a single encounter? Could he daily feel a stab of hunger for her? Find nourishment in the very sight of her? I think so. But would she see through the bars of his plight, and ache for him?

Vide Cor Meum

Italian/Latin

Chorus: E pensando di lei
Mi sopragiunse uno soave sonno

Ego dominus tuus
Vide cor tuum
E d'sto core ardendo
Cor tuum
(Chorus: Lei paventosa)
Umilmente pascea
Appreso gir lo ne vedea piangendo

La letizia si convertia

Joy is converted
To bitterest tears

I am in peace
My heart
I am in peace
Here's my Heart

The opera is based on Dante Alighieri's La Vita Nuova (The New Life). Specifically it is based on the sonnet "A ciascun'alma presa", in chapter 3 of the Vita Nuova. Vide Cor Meum is by Patrick Cassidy, produced by Patrick Cassidy and Hans Zimmer; in the movie Hannibal the singers are Danielle de Niese and Bruno Lazzaretti who play respectively Dante and Beatrice.

As Dante tells it, he met and fell in love with a woman he called Beatrice at the age of nine. Beatrice at the time was eight. He frequented places where he could catch a glimpse of her, but she never spoke to him until nine years later. In the sonnet Vita Nuova that Vide Cor Meum refers to, nine years have past since his first encounter with Beatrice. She appears to him, dressed in white and accompanied by two older women, Beatrice turned to Dante and greeted him. Her greeting filled him with such bliss that he retreats to his room to think about her. The English translation is below:

"When exactly nine years had passed since this gracious being appeared to me, as I have described, it happened that on the last day of this intervening period this marvel appeared before me again, dressed in purest white, walking between two other women of distinguished bearing, both older than herself. As they walked down the street she turned her eyes toward me where I stood in fear and trembling, and with her ineffable courtesy, which is now rewarded in eternal life, she greeted me; and such was the virtue of her greeting that I seemed to experience the height of bliss. It was exactly the ninth hour of day when she gave me her sweet greeting. As this was the first time she had ever spoken to me, I was filled with such joy that, my senses reeling, I had to withdraw from the sight of others. So I returned to the loneliness of my room and began to think about this gracious person." (La Vita Nuova III)

—Translated by Barbara Reynolds © 1969 All Rights Reserved.

And thinking of her he fell asleap and had a marvellous dream. Dante sees a mighty figure which says "Ego dominus tuus" (I'm your Lord). In the figure's arms was Beatrice, covered only in a crimson cloth and sleeping. The figure held something on fire and says "Vide cor tuum" (Here's your heart). The figure awoke Beatrice and made her eat Dante's burning heart. The English translation is below:

"And thinking of her a sweet sleep overcame me, in which a marvellous vision appeared to me: so that it seemed I saw in my room a flame-coloured nebula, in the midst of which I discerned the shape of a lord of fearful aspect to those who gazed on him: and he appeared to me with such joy, so much joy within himself, that it was a miraculous thing: and in his speech he said many things, of which I understood only a few: among them I understood this: ‘Ego dominus tuus: I am your lord.’
It seemed to me he held a figure sleeping in his arms, naked except that it seemed to me to be covered lightly with a crimson cloth: gazing at it very intently I realised it was the lady of the greeting, she who had deigned to greet me before that day. And in one of his hands it seemed to me that he held something completely on fire, and he seemed to say to me these words: ‘Vide cor tuum: Look upon your heart. And when he had stood for a while, he seemed to wake her who slept: and by his art was so forceful that he made her eat the thing that burned in her hand, which she ate hesitantly."

—Translation by A.S.Kline © 2001 All Rights Reserved.

Both Dante and Beatrice married other people and Beatrice died at the age of 24. Dante wrote La Vita Nuova about 2 years later.

> Hi there!

> I haven't been able to get the scene from Hannibal or the #12 track out of
> my mind since I saw it two weeks ago (the aria more so than the opera
> scene). Can anyone tell me where in La Vita Nuova the sonnet that Vide cor
> meum was adapted from is? Numinous!

> Brad

rich hill
(pool-68-162-163-52.pitt.east.veri
zon.net)

Tony

joan
Re: Dante's La Vita Nuova - Vide cor meum   Wednesday, September 8, 2004 (8:16 p.m.)

After watching "Hannibal," like you all, I instantly fell in love with this libretto. Does anyone know where i can purchase this Opera on a cd? Also, my fiance and I are moving to Europe this fall, and I am doubly curious if this play is still being put on. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

--Rich Hill

joan
(82-43-120-84.cable.ubr02.mort.blu
eyonder.co.uk)

rich hill
Re: Dante's La Vita Nuova - Vide cor meum   Monday, May 25, 2009 (12:22 p.m.)
• Now Playing: not listening to anything

> After watching "Hannibal," like you all, I instantly fell in
> love with this libretto. Does anyone know where i can purchase this Opera
> on a cd? Also, my fiance and I are moving to Europe this fall, and I am
> doubly curious if this play is still being put on. Any info would be
> greatly appreciated. Thank you!

> --Rich Hill

Hi there

The aria from the opera can be obtained from I Tunes Store Website - The Hannibal sound track .

Joan

Stephanie
(dhcp024-210-044-143.columbus.rr.c
om)

Tony

Diane Riley
Re: Dante's La Vita Nuova - Vide cor meum   Wednesday, December 15, 2004 (12:18 p.m.)

This touches my very being, and makes me yearn for something as pure as the music.

Was this made into a whole operatic production? Or only one scene for the movie?

If so - does anyone know where if has been or will be? I think to go and see it - I feel that it will be my 'Alchemist' - changing my life for the better.

> Waoh - I have been watching Hannibal on cable and love the film (apart
> from a few corny bits). I share all your entusiasm for Vide Cor Meum. I
> copied the song and listened to it constantly on my trip last week to
> Florence which is a beautiful city steeped in Dantean and Renaissance
> culture. On watching the film again last night, I promised myself that I
> would find the lyrics of this libretto today, and my search has borne its
> fruit. Please find below what you have been looking for. I found it on the
also see these websites for furter Dante resources.

> http://www.greatdante.net/texts.htm
let it be known that this man's
> work is not only the realm of serial killers, but of those who seek beauty
> in words.
ciao,enjoy,
Tony
Ps if anyone else has interesting
> comments on Dante or beautiful classical or opera music, please let me
> know,
ta ta,
T

> Vide Cor Meum

> He saw Beatrice Portinari across a chapel and he loved her at that instant
> and for the rest of his life. But then had a disturbing dream - Joyous
> Love seemed to me, the while he held my heart in his hands, and in his
> arms, My lady lay asleep wrapped in a veil - He woke her then, and
> trembling and obedient, she ate that burning heart out of his hand.
> Weeping, I saw him then depart from me. He saw her eat his heart!

> Do you believe a man could become so obsessed with a woman from a single
> encounter? Could he daily feel a stab of hunger for her? Find nourishment
> in the very sight of her? I think so. But would she see through the bars
> of his plight, and ache for him?

> Vide Cor Meum

> Joy is converted
To bitterest tears

> I am in peace
My heart
I am in peace
Here's my Heart

> The opera is based on Dante Alighieri's La Vita Nuova (The New Life).
> Specifically it is based on the sonnet "A ciascun'alma presa",

> courtesy, which is now rewarded in eternal life, she greeted me; and such
> was the virtue of her greeting that I seemed to experience the height of
> bliss. It was exactly the ninth hour of day when she gave me her sweet
> greeting. As this was the first time she had ever spoken to me, I was
> filled with such joy that, my senses reeling, I had to withdraw from the
> sight of others. So I returned to the loneliness of my room and began to
> think about this gracious person." (La Vita Nuova III)

> —Translated by Barbara Reynolds © 1969 All Rights Reserved.

> And thinking of her he fell asleap and had a marvellous dream. Dante sees
> a mighty figure which says "Ego dominus tuus" (I'm your Lord).
> In the figure's arms was Beatrice, covered only in a crimson cloth and
> sleeping. The figure held something on fire and says "Vide cor
> tuum" (Here's your heart). The figure awoke Beatrice and made her eat
> Dante's burning heart. The English translation is below:

> "And thinking of her a sweet sleep overcame me, in which a marvellous
> vision appeared to me: so that it seemed I saw in my room a flame-coloured
> nebula, in the midst of which I discerned the shape of a lord of fearful
> aspect to those who gazed on him: and he appeared to me with such joy, so
> much joy within himself, that it was a miraculous thing: and in his speech
> he said many things, of which I understood only a few: among them I
> understood this: ‘Ego dominus tuus: I am your lord.’
It seemed to me
> he held a figure sleeping in his arms, naked except that it seemed to me
> to be covered lightly with a crimson cloth: gazing at it very intently I
> realised it was the lady of the greeting, she who had deigned to greet me
> before that day. And in one of his hands it seemed to me that he held
> something completely on fire, and he seemed to say to me these words:
> ‘Vide cor tuum: Look upon your heart. And when he had stood for a while,
> he seemed to wake her who slept: and by his art was so forceful that he
> made her eat the thing that burned in her hand, which she ate
> hesitantly."

> —Translation by A.S.Kline © 2001 All Rights Reserved.

> Both Dante and Beatrice married other people and Beatrice died at the age
> of 24. Dante wrote La Vita Nuova about 2 years later.

Diane Riley
(host86-134-33-234.range86-134.btc
entralplus.com)

Stephanie
Re: Dante's La Vita Nuova - Vide cor meum   Sunday, September 25, 2005 (10:17 a.m.)

I was also really blown over by Dante's la Vita Nuova, it was beautifully sung by Danilla de Niese & Bruno Lazzaretti.I looked for it everywhere, I purchased the cd of the film "HANNABAL" and there it was the last track, however unfortunatly at the end of the track ther is a very loud percusssion to give you a rude awakaning which really spoils the listening as it is such a relaxing and encharting piece of music that having this at the end is unexeptable as it was not there in the film. I would like to know were to also see this performance and if anyone knows were it might be shown in England please let me know. Thankyou. PS it was really nice to read the words of the song in English. "Thankyou avid fan!!!2

anonymous
(66-193-147-225.static.twtelecom.n
et)

Tony
Re: Dante's La Vita Nuova - Vide cor meum   Tuesday, March 31, 2009 (2:47 a.m.)

Interesting movie. Corny stuff: Clarice in a black gown? I think that what his name could have gotten away with doing Hannibal in with a less elaborate plan? The music was very moving - gaining sympathy for Hannibal; but the candlelight down the aisle thing was too much - casting doubt on the score? The original was the best, most honest. I felt badly about the last scene in the movie - I felt that Hannibal over-reached in offering a small kid his meal. I wonder if the director was thinking of Uni - a sea urchin, popular in Japan. Basically, I believe there is a fascination with trying to decipher the mind of a person so possessed. In reality, I do not belive that the criminal mind possesses such distinctive tastes.

> Waoh - I have been watching Hannibal on cable and love the film (apart
> from a few corny bits). I share all your entusiasm for Vide Cor Meum. I
> copied the song and listened to it constantly on my trip last week to
> Florence which is a beautiful city steeped in Dantean and Renaissance
> culture. On watching the film again last night, I promised myself that I
> would find the lyrics of this libretto today, and my search has borne its
> fruit. Please find below what you have been looking for. I found it on the
> http://www.pentaone.com/hannibal/videcormeum.shtml also see these
> websites for furter Dante resources.
> http://www.greatdante.net/texts.htm let it be known that this man's work
> is not only the realm of serial killers, but of those who seek beauty in
> words.
> ciao,enjoy,
> Tony
> Ps if anyone else has interesting comments on Dante or beautiful classical
> or opera music, please let me know,
> ta ta,
> T

> Vide Cor Meum

> He saw Beatrice Portinari across a chapel and he loved her at that instant
> and for the rest of his life. But then had a disturbing dream - Joyous
> Love seemed to me, the while he held my heart in his hands, and in his
> arms, My lady lay asleep wrapped in a veil - He woke her then, and
> trembling and obedient, she ate that burning heart out of his hand.
> Weeping, I saw him then depart from me. He saw her eat his heart!

> Do you believe a man could become so obsessed with a woman from a single
> encounter? Could he daily feel a stab of hunger for her? Find nourishment
> in the very sight of her? I think so. But would she see through the bars
> of his plight, and ache for him?

> Vide Cor Meum

> Italian/Latin

> Chorus: E pensando di lei
> Mi sopragiunse uno soave sonno

> Ego dominus tuus
> Vide cor tuum
> E d'sto core ardendo
> Cor tuum
> (Chorus: Lei paventosa)
> Umilmente pascea
> Appreso gir lo ne vedea piangendo

> La letizia si convertia
> In amarissimo pianto

> Io sono in pace
> Cor meum
> Io sono in pace
> Vide cor meum
> English

> Chorus: And thinking of her
> Sweet sleep overcame me

> I am your master
> Behold your heart
> And of this burning heart
> Your heart
> (Chorus: She trembling)
> Obediently eats
> Weeping, I saw him then depart from me

> Joy is converted
> To bitterest tears

> I am in peace
> My heart
> I am in peace
> Here's my Heart

> The opera is based on Dante Alighieri's La Vita Nuova (The New Life).
> Specifically it is based on the sonnet "A ciascun'alma presa",

> courtesy, which is now rewarded in eternal life, she greeted me; and such
> was the virtue of her greeting that I seemed to experience the height of
> bliss. It was exactly the ninth hour of day when she gave me her sweet
> greeting. As this was the first time she had ever spoken to me, I was
> filled with such joy that, my senses reeling, I had to withdraw from the
> sight of others. So I returned to the loneliness of my room and began to
> think about this gracious person." (La Vita Nuova III)

> —Translated by Barbara Reynolds © 1969 All Rights Reserved.

> And thinking of her he fell asleap and had a marvellous dream. Dante sees
> a mighty figure which says "Ego dominus tuus" (I'm your Lord).
> In the figure's arms was Beatrice, covered only in a crimson cloth and
> sleeping. The figure held something on fire and says "Vide cor
> tuum" (Here's your heart). The figure awoke Beatrice and made her eat
> Dante's burning heart. The English translation is below:

> "And thinking of her a sweet sleep overcame me, in which a marvellous
> vision appeared to me: so that it seemed I saw in my room a flame-coloured
> nebula, in the midst of which I discerned the shape of a lord of fearful
> aspect to those who gazed on him: and he appeared to me with such joy, so
> much joy within himself, that it was a miraculous thing: and in his speech
> he said many things, of which I understood only a few: among them I
> understood this: ‘Ego dominus tuus: I am your lord.’
> It seemed to me he held a figure sleeping in his arms, naked except that
> it seemed to me to be covered lightly with a crimson cloth: gazing at it
> very intently I realised it was the lady of the greeting, she who had
> deigned to greet me before that day. And in one of his hands it seemed to
> me that he held something completely on fire, and he seemed to say to me
> these words: ‘Vide cor tuum: Look upon your heart. And when he had stood
> for a while, he seemed to wake her who slept: and by his art was so
> forceful that he made her eat the thing that burned in her hand, which she
> ate hesitantly."

> —Translation by A.S.Kline © 2001 All Rights Reserved.

> Both Dante and Beatrice married other people and Beatrice died at the age
> of 24. Dante wrote La Vita Nuova about 2 years later.

Borislav
(31.184.238.21)

Tony
Re: Dante's La Vita Nuova - Vide cor meum   Monday, January 2, 2012 (8:32 a.m.)

> if anyone else has interesting comments on Dante or beautiful classical or
> opera music, please let me know

no. that type of music make my poops come out small.

Jeff Mills
(UD157-138.intelnet.net.gt)

bradeast
Re: Dante's La Vita Nuova - Vide cor meum   Thursday, August 28, 2003 (6:50 p.m.)

> Hi there!

> I haven't been able to get the scene from Hannibal or the #12 track out of
> my mind since I saw it two weeks ago (the aria more so than the opera
> scene). Can anyone tell me where in La Vita Nuova the sonnet that Vide cor
> meum was adapted from is? Numinous!

> Brad

Hey Brad,
Just like you i cannot forget that beautiful music that was played from dante's La Vita. Just where can I get this?
Jeff
Guatemala

joan
(82-43-120-84.cable.ubr02.mort.blu
eyonder.co.uk)

bradeast
Re: Dante's La Vita Nuova - Vide cor meum   Monday, May 25, 2009 (12:11 p.m.)
• Now Playing: not listening to anything

> Hi there!

> I haven't been able to get the scene from Hannibal or the #12 track out of
> my mind since I saw it two weeks ago (the aria more so than the opera
> scene). Can anyone tell me where in La Vita Nuova the sonnet that Vide cor
> meum was adapted from is? Numinous!

> Brad

Hi there

I purchased the book "Dante Vita Nuova translated by Mark Musa " from Waterstones £7.99.
The sonnet is on page 7 .