SUPPORT FILMTRACKS! CLICK HERE FIRST:
Amazon.com
Amazon.co.uk
iTunes (U.S.)
Amazon.ca
Amazon.fr
eBay (U.S.)
Amazon.de
Amazon.es
Half.com
Glisten Effect
Editorial Reviews
Scoreboard Forum
Viewer Ratings
Composers
Awards
   NEWEST MAJOR REVIEWS:
     1. Halloween
    2. Venom
   3. House With a Clock/Walls
  4. The Nun
 5. Crazy Rich Asians
6. The Meg
   CURRENT MOST POPULAR REVIEWS:
         1. Solo: A Star Wars Story
        2. Batman
       3. Jurassic World: Kingdom
      4. The Predator
     5. Edward Scissorhands
    6. Mission: Impossible - Fallout
   7. Christopher Robin
  8. Apollo 13
 9. Ant-Man and the Wasp
10. The Equalizer 2
Home Page
Menu Options ▼
Comments about the soundtrack for Inception (Hans Zimmer)
Amazing arrogance...

Marc Lawson
<Send E-Mail>
(adsl-074-184-211-174.sip.asm.bell
south.net)


  Responses to this Comment:
untitled
Amazing arrogance...   Tuesday, May 10, 2011 (8:54 a.m.) 
• Now Playing: Howard Shore - LOTR: The Fellowship of The Ring  

I believe there is a special place in hell for music critics. Those who arrogantly delight in critiquing the hard work of others while offering nothing of value themselves. Calling Zimmer lazy when he puts out dozens of projects a year is silly and just shows the stupidity of this lame reviewer.

The music for Inception was great because it did a brilliant job of underpinning the story. It was subtle, moody and ambient - kind of like the story... kind of like a dream.

Isn't that the job of film music? To support the story?



Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


untitled
(ool-457bba27.dyn.optonline.net)

  In Response to:
Marc Lawson

  Responses to this Comment:
Marc Lawson
Re: Amazing arrogance...   Wednesday, May 11, 2011 (5:41 p.m.) 
• Now Playing: Inception  

> I believe there is a special place in hell for music critics. Those who
> arrogantly delight in critiquing the hard work of others while offering
> nothing of value themselves. Calling Zimmer lazy when he puts out dozens
> of projects a year is silly and just shows the stupidity of this lame
> reviewer.

> The music for Inception was great because it did a brilliant job of
> underpinning the story. It was subtle, moody and ambient - kind of like
> the story... kind of like a dream.

> Isn't that the job of film music? To support the story?

1. Because Hans Zimmer "puts out dozens of projects a year" does not mean we should pity him or treat him (or his music) any differently. He does accomplish a lot in a year, but that is his job as a composer for film. To applaud composers for writing music is to attend a play and thereafter compliment the actors on how well they memorize their lines.

2. The music of Inception is boring, it is repetitive to the point where I lose interest, and it is downright lazy compared to his earlier works, what we all know he is capable of. It was moody, but not sentimental. Not honest.

3. I take offense to calling music critics "arrogant". We are needed and our work is always going to be of value. Art without critics is life without consequence. No one would learn and no one would improve. The composers as well as the listeners.



Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Marc Lawson
<Send E-Mail>
(adsl-074-184-211-174.sip.asm.bell
south.net)

  In Response to:
untitled

  Responses to this Comment:
Rick
Jacque
Re: Amazing arrogance...   Friday, June 24, 2011 (9:48 a.m.) 
• Now Playing: John Powell - How To Train Your Dragon  

> 1. Because Hans Zimmer "puts out dozens of projects a year" does
> not mean we should pity him or treat him (or his music) any differently.
> He does accomplish a lot in a year, but that is his job as a composer for
> film. To applaud composers for writing music is to attend a play and
> thereafter compliment the actors on how well they memorize their lines.

> 2. The music of Inception is boring, it is repetitive to the point where I
> lose interest, and it is downright lazy compared to his earlier works,
> what we all know he is capable of. It was moody, but not sentimental. Not
> honest.

> 3. I take offense to calling music critics "arrogant". We are
> needed and our work is always going to be of value. Art without critics is
> life without consequence. No one would learn and no one would improve. The
> composers as well as the listeners.

You are missing the point. I took issue with the fact that reviewer was judgmental of the composer's motivations and work ethic, not the comments about the music itself.

It takes alot of arrogance to think you know what other people are thinking and why they do what they do.

To your point #3, I think it is absurd to think that any reviewer or critic has ever been responsible for keeping music honest or helping "elevate the craft". The public's opinion (and one's own personal integrity) is enough to keep you honest. And, if a third-party opinion is really needed, anyone worth their salt generally has enough people around them to ask for feedback when they need it.

All a critic can offer is an opinion. The more informed the critic, the more valuable the opinion. That means that the best critics would be other film composers. Fortunately, most of them are too busy creating work of their own (or are too classy) to tear down the work of others.

Leave that to the buzzing gnats on the websites.



Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Rick
<Send E-Mail>
(c-174-58-226-108.hsd1.fl.comcast.
net)
Profile Picture
  In Response to:
Marc Lawson
Re: Amazing arrogance...   Wednesday, August 10, 2011 (6:34 p.m.) 
• Now Playing: Wilde  

> You are missing the point. I took issue with the fact that reviewer was
> judgmental of the composer's motivations and work ethic, not the comments
> about the music itself.

> It takes alot of arrogance to think you know what other people are
> thinking and why they do what they do.

> To your point #3, I think it is absurd to think that any reviewer or
> critic has ever been responsible for keeping music honest or helping
> "elevate the craft". The public's opinion (and one's own
> personal integrity) is enough to keep you honest. And, if a third-party
> opinion is really needed, anyone worth their salt generally has enough
> people around them to ask for feedback when they need it.

> All a critic can offer is an opinion. The more informed the critic, the
> more valuable the opinion. That means that the best critics would be other
> film composers. Fortunately, most of them are too busy creating work of
> their own (or are too classy) to tear down the work of others.

> Leave that to the buzzing gnats on the websites.

Wow. Wrong, wrong, wrong. Yes, while there is an overabundance of unintelligent knee-jerk critical people in our over-connected and vacuous society today- the value of an intelligent critic of any art should never be under-estimated! Especially now, with the advent of so many technologies and sub-categories, the field popular art/entertainment is flooded with products- and there's only so many hours in the day and dollars in the wallet. Christian is one of those valuable, intelligent, informed critics. I don't agree with him half the time, but he expresses himself in a clear manner- so that I can narrow down the field of choices, and therefore find art that pleases me. I can't tell you how much money this site has saved me- even the tracks I've purchased that Christian DIDN'T like- I purchased because he and I are sometimes different, but his critiques are always SPOT ON! That is really what a good critic does for the marketplace. He, as much as the market itself, is a force for the advancement of the art. And as far as respecting and artist for the QUANTITY of work he puts out- I work in the arts&entertainment industry, and yes, you can kill yourself for years on one product- or be lazy and "phone in" a hundred of 'em in a year. Zimmer could be making haute cuisine, but he's happier making burgers right now. Nothin' wrong with that. Christian was good enough to point that out: you want a burger, or do you want something more artistic and elaborate? Buy what you like, and thank the critic for streering you in the right direction.
Nuff Sed!



Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Jacque
<Send E-Mail>
(155.33.157.200)

  In Response to:
Marc Lawson
Re: Amazing arrogance...   Tuesday, April 10, 2012 (12:11 p.m.) 

I know that Zimmer has made several distasteful comments over the years about the work of other composers, and has insisted that his style of writing is superior to the more complex styles of others. I think that's why Christian criticized Zimmer's work ethic; before he became a marketing genius, Zimmer used to write really, really good music (and still often does). You call Christian arrogant, but I think Zimmer is the arrogant one.


Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display



Copyright © 1998-2018, Filmtracks Publications. All rights reserved.
The reviews and other textual content contained on the filmtracks.com site may not be published, broadcast,
rewritten or redistributed without the prior written authority of Christian Clemmensen at Filmtracks Publications. Scoreboard created 7/24/98 and last updated 4/25/15.