SUPPORT FILMTRACKS! CLICK HERE FIRST:
Amazon.com
Amazon.co.uk
iTunes (U.S.)
Amazon.ca
Amazon.fr
eBay (U.S.)
Amazon.de
Amazon.es
Half.com
Glisten Effect
Editorial Reviews
Scoreboard Forum
Viewer Ratings
Composers
Awards
   NEWEST MAJOR REVIEWS:
     1. Transformers: Last Knight
    2. Cars 3
   3. The Mummy
  4. Wonder Woman
 5. POTC: Dead Men Tell No Tales
6. Alien: Covenant


   CURRENT BEST-SELLING SCORES:
       1. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
      2. Fantastic Beasts/Find Them
     3. Willow
    4. The Ghost and the Darkness
   5. An American Tail
  6. The Wind and the Lion
 7. Doctor Strange
8. 10 Cloverfield Lane
   CURRENT MOST POPULAR REVIEWS:
         1. Star Wars: Force Awakens
        2. E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial
       3. Titanic
      4. Avatar
     5. Nineteen Eighty-Four
    6. Gladiator
   7. Star Wars: A New Hope
  8. Animal Farm
 9. LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring
10. Harry Potter: Sorcerer's Stone
Home Page
Menu Options ▼
Comments about the soundtrack for King Arthur (Hans Zimmer)
No elegance at all...

Disappointed
<Send E-Mail>
(64.209.28.170)


  Responses to this Comment:
Zed
Knight
No elegance at all...   Monday, August 16, 2004 (2:54 p.m.) 

What Media Ventures has done to film scores is to take what was once, well..music, scores written to use all the power _and_ elegance of an orchestra in sweeping, beautiful passages...and reduce it to, so to speak, a blunt instrument.

When all the instruments are playing the same note at the same time, all in short, stactacco pounding over the drums, over and over, the SAME from The Rock till now, just re-used and re-used cues... you have to wonder WHAT HAS HAPPENED to film scores.

Is this the new trend? Will the sweeping decents from action to waltzlike segues and character themes both majestic and complex with strong cultural cues be a thing of the past?

I was disappointed enough with Pirates of the Carribean, which was just a mash of The Rock and...whatever else, unlistenable. But he keeps DOING it AGAIN!

Please, Media Ventures..shut down. You're ruining music.

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Zed
(mppp-p-144-139-121-134.prem.tmns.
net.au)

  In Response to:
Disappointed

  Responses to this Comment:
Disappointed
Re: No elegance at all...Crap. Another classical buff!   Monday, August 16, 2004 (8:38 p.m.) 

I'm sick of you guys who say the crap you said! I don't need to say much but that you classical nuts don't understand the world of film composition and that film music isn't spose to be scored like classical music. If u want classical music don't say your a film music fan because if you were a film music fan you would enjoy the classical composers like Williams, Horner etc aswell as the more contemperary composers like Zimmer, Powell, Badelt. If it weren't for Zimmer the film music genre wouldn't be where it is today! Your aloud to enjoy the style of music you want to but don't bag others for enjoying other styles of music. I find the Zimmer fans out there are some of the most opened minded people in the music listening world and they seem to listen to a lot more different styles of music from around the world.....And if Zimmer wasn't good....He wouldn't get the job to score some of the biggest films around. Zimmer and his friends are the only ones who could score a film like black hawk down and then go score a film like As good as it gets. Stop bagging and start to listen!!!!! Peace to all!!!

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Disappointed
(64.209.28.170)

  In Response to:
Zed

  Responses to this Comment:
ZED
Re: No elegance at all...Crap. Another classical buff!   Tuesday, August 17, 2004 (1:42 p.m.) 

> I'm sick of you guys who say the crap you said! I don't need to say much
> but that you classical nuts don't understand the world of film composition
> and that film music isn't spose to be scored like classical music. If u
> want classical music don't say your a film music fan because if you were a
> film music fan you would enjoy the classical composers like Williams,
> Horner etc aswell as the more contemperary composers like Zimmer, Powell,
> Badelt.

No, I love Williams and Horner..except when Horner self-plagarizes. Also James Newton Howard and Basil Pouledouris. Zimmer USED to be good. But Media Ventures is not 'artists'. It's cheap and easy mix-and-match film scores that, as many have said, substitute noise and volume for composition. Some of the "Pirates" pieces were downright unlistenable noise.

>If it weren't for Zimmer the film music genre wouldn't be where it
> is today!

Got that right. Like I said, Media Ventures has degraded it to "Let's sound like The Rock AGAIN" and add in some Enya-esque bits, too.

>And if Zimmer wasn't good....He wouldn't get the job
> to score some of the biggest films around.

Money and insider politics. Cut-and-paste scores from Media Ventures is the result.

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


ZED
(mppp-p-144-139-119-140.prem.tmns.
net.au)

  In Response to:
Disappointed

  Responses to this Comment:
Littleman (aka roney)
Re: No elegance at all...Crap. Another classical buff!   Wednesday, August 18, 2004 (12:02 a.m.) 

> No, I love Williams and Horner..except when Horner self-plagarizes. Also
> James Newton Howard and Basil Pouledouris. Zimmer USED to be good. But
> Media Ventures is not 'artists'. It's cheap and easy mix-and-match film
> scores that, as many have said, substitute noise and volume for
> composition. Some of the "Pirates" pieces were downright
> unlistenable noise.

> Got that right. Like I said, Media Ventures has degraded it to "Let's
> sound like The Rock AGAIN" and add in some Enya-esque bits, too.

> Money and insider politics. Cut-and-paste scores from Media Ventures is
> the result.

HA HA no you are a bit lost i think! Directors love Zimmers work and guys like Williams which i truelly think is awsome cannot produce the style of music a lot of the directors want these days. Take Man on Fire...Harry Gregson William's music works perfect in the film...John Willaims, Horner, Shore could not pull that type of music off! Remember the music is written to work in a film not on a CD. Zimmer does so many varieties of music because he CAN!!! if you really want to understand Zimmer and really hear how good he is in the composition side of things, listen to Hannibal or Invincible or As Good As It Gets and then listen to King Arthur, Crimson Tide, Power of One, The Lion King...Theres just a short list of how diverse the guy is and how talented he is! You might think its noise but i think it's GREAT NOISE HAHAHa take it easy man and lets just enjoy the music that is out there and don't bag the guy for being so popular and you have to give him credit where it is due. If his music wasn't good he wouldn't have a job!!!

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Littleman (aka roney)
(ip68-5-94-128.oc.oc.cox.net)

  In Response to:
ZED

  Responses to this Comment:
Littleman
Re: No elegance at all...Crap. Another classical buff!   Wednesday, August 18, 2004 (2:02 p.m.) 

> HA HA no you are a bit lost i think! Directors love Zimmers work and guys
> like Williams which i truelly think is awsome cannot produce the style of
> music a lot of the directors want these days. Take Man on Fire...Harry
> Gregson William's music works perfect in the film...John Willaims, Horner,
> Shore could not pull that type of music off! Remember the music is written
> to work in a film not on a CD.

Well take Man on Fire, what kind of film was it? Just another poorly put together film for mindless explosions and fighting so the studios can make a profit off it. To get a better effect for the action scenes (which is 80% of the Movie) the director tells the composer he wants energy! So what we get most the time is midless noise for mindless destrucion! The score enegizes the movie (Which is what the studio wants) but leaves a heartless score which nobody wants. (So why doesn't John Willaims, Horner, or Shore pull that type of music off?)

Zimmer does so many varieties of music
> because he CAN!!! if you really want to understand Zimmer and really hear
> how good he is in the composition side of things, listen to Hannibal or
> Invincible or As Good As It Gets and then listen to King Arthur, Crimson
> Tide, Power of One, The Lion King...Theres just a short list of how
> diverse the guy is and how talented he is!

Yes, Zimmer is a talented man and I admire him a bit but his music as a whole is a bit far from "diverse". Alot of his music is just a mash put on by his "puppets" at Media Venture from an overused formula. Some of it is good (even great in some cases) but can be harsh to listen to mostly due to the overblown synth trademark which is Media Venture.

You might think its noise but i
> think it's GREAT NOISE HAHAHa

That explains alot.

take it easy man and lets just enjoy the
> music that is out there and don't bag the guy for being so popular and you
> have to give him credit where it is due.

That is true. I really enjoy Zimmer, not really MV, but we should give them credit where it's due. It's Hard!

If his music wasn't good he
> wouldn't have a job!!!

Or if Michael Bay movies never existed. But hey, we mostly forget about those ones anyway!

No harm intened Zed. See ya around.

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Littleman
(ip68-5-94-128.oc.oc.cox.net)

  In Response to:
Littleman (aka roney)
One more thing...   Thursday, August 19, 2004 (12:30 a.m.) 

One more thing... I didn't make it clear in the statement above but I enjoy this score and back Christian's review all the way. (****) Nice job Zimmer!

Making this clear

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Knight
<Send E-Mail>
(m132.sprott-shaw.com)

  In Response to:
Disappointed
Re: No elegance at all... HA!   Wednesday, September 1, 2004 (10:31 a.m.) 

Are you on crack or something? Have you actually listened to the music of Hans Zimmer? Are we actually listening to the same composer here? When I listen to his music I find myself actually feeling something. I can feel the power, confusion, leadership, and fear in his different themes. All the movies he's done have a different tone and theme that is unique to them. If you can't tell that then you need to actually LISTEN to his music. I've been listening to movie tracks for 10 years and I have always loved all of Hans Zimmer's DIFFERENT themes!



Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display



Copyright © 1998-2017, Filmtracks Publications. All rights reserved.
The reviews and other textual content contained on the filmtracks.com site may not be published, broadcast,
rewritten or redistributed without the prior written authority of Christian Clemmensen at Filmtracks Publications. Scoreboard created 7/24/98 and last updated 4/25/15.