SUPPORT FILMTRACKS! CLICK HERE FIRST:
Amazon.com
Amazon.co.uk
iTunes (U.S.)
Amazon.ca
Amazon.fr
eBay (U.S.)
Amazon.de
Amazon.es
Half.com
Glisten Effect
Editorial Reviews
Scoreboard Forum
Viewer Ratings
Composers
Awards
   NEWEST MAJOR REVIEWS:
     1. Incredibles 2
    2. Solo: A Star Wars Story
   3. Deadpool 2
  4. Avengers: Infinity War
 5. A Quiet Place
6. Ready Player One
   CURRENT MOST POPULAR REVIEWS:
         1. Star Wars: The Last Jedi
        2. Gladiator
       3. Blade Runner 2049
      4. Batman
     5. Thor: Ragnarok
    6. The Avengers
   7. Spider-Man: Homecoming
  8. Avatar
 9. Dunkirk
10. Phantom Thread
Home Page
Menu Options ▼
Comments about the soundtrack for Star Wars: The Last Jedi (John Williams)
Christian, I'm disappointed in you

Intestinal Worm
<Send E-Mail>
(c122-104-153-154.rochd6.qld.optus
net.com.au)


  Responses to this Comment:
Jerry Elfstri
Bryn Mercado
CampOla
Edmund Meinerts
Christian, I'm disappointed in you   Sunday, January 7, 2018 (9:13 p.m.) 
• Now Playing: Star Wars: The Last Jedi  

Hey Christian, have you read this article? https://bittergertrude.com/2018/01/04/why-so-many-men-hate-the-last-jedi-but-cant-agree-on-why/

The points you've made against the film are noticeably the same nondescript complaints heard from the highly vocal haters. 'Pacing issues'? Watch it again. Viewers experience pacing issues when their expectations aren't being met. Yes, it has pacing that's different from previous Star Wars films. Guess what? It's a NEW Star Wars film. It should have different pacing, otherwise we're just watching the same films again. 'Fallacies of logic'? Such as? You didn't specify any. 'Unsatisfactory behaviour'? So you wanted Luke to stay the same. Great idea - that sounds really interesting and exciting. And I suppose then you'd be complaining about lack of character development. 'Pointless subplots' - is a subplot pointless because the character's don't succeed in their plan? Maybe it's about the characters rather than the plan. One of the main themes of the film is characters learning from their mistakes. Who the hell wants to watch a film where the heroes never screw up? 'Poor performances by new characters' - You mean Rose and Holdo? This seems awfully like personal opinion presented as consensus. I haven't heard anyone complain about their performances. Is the reason you don't like them because they're women?

Why is Leia using the Force to save herself laughable? Because she's a woman? Do you secretly hate women, Christian? A person can survive exposed in the vacuum of space for up to 90 seconds before they die of asphyxiation. The Force can be used to move objects telekinetically. Even the lightest directional force applied to an object in zero gravity will send the object in that direction forever unless acted upon by another force or object. Leia has the Force - we've seen this. Like Luke, she uses Force telekinesis for the first time in a moment of life-or-death desperation and pushes herself in the direction of the ship. What's so offensive about watching something that makes perfect sense? Is it because deep down you can't stand to see a woman save herself?

Tip: if the critics love a movie, but the kind of shitheads who yell things at the screen and storm out of a theatre don't, then the critics have it right.
big grin



Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Jerry Elfstri
<Send E-Mail>
(207.253.225.203)

  In Response to:
Intestinal Worm
Re: Christian, I'm disappointed in you   Monday, January 8, 2018 (6:26 a.m.) 

Totally agree with Christian's review smile



Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Bryn Mercado
(host-72-51-190-107.newwavecomm.ne
t)

  In Response to:
Intestinal Worm
Re: Christian, I'm disappointed in you   Monday, January 8, 2018 (8:39 a.m.) 

> Hey Christian, have you read this article?
> https://bittergertrude.com/2018/01/04/why-so-many-men-hate-the-last-jedi-but-cant-agree-on-why/

> The points you've made against the film are noticeably the same
> nondescript complaints heard from the highly vocal haters. 'Pacing
> issues'? Watch it again. Viewers experience pacing issues when their
> expectations aren't being met. Yes, it has pacing that's different from
> previous Star Wars films. Guess what? It's a NEW Star Wars film. It should
> have different pacing, otherwise we're just watching the same films again.
> 'Fallacies of logic'? Such as? You didn't specify any. 'Unsatisfactory
> behaviour'? So you wanted Luke to stay the same. Great idea - that sounds
> really interesting and exciting. And I suppose then you'd be complaining
> about lack of character development. 'Pointless subplots' - is a subplot
> pointless because the character's don't succeed in their plan? Maybe it's
> about the characters rather than the plan. One of the main themes of the
> film is characters learning from their mistakes. Who the hell wants to
> watch a film where the heroes never screw up? 'Poor performances by new
> characters' - You mean Rose and Holdo? This seems awfully like personal
> opinion presented as consensus. I haven't heard anyone complain about
> their performances. Is the reason you don't like them because they're
> women?

> Why is Leia using the Force to save herself laughable? Because she's a
> woman? Do you secretly hate women, Christian? A person can survive exposed
> in the vacuum of space for up to 90 seconds before they die of
> asphyxiation. The Force can be used to move objects telekinetically. Even
> the lightest directional force applied to an object in zero gravity will
> send the object in that direction forever unless acted upon by another
> force or object. Leia has the Force - we've seen this. Like Luke, she uses
> Force telekinesis for the first time in a moment of life-or-death
> desperation and pushes herself in the direction of the ship. What's so
> offensive about watching something that makes perfect sense? Is it because
> deep down you can't stand to see a woman save herself?

> Tip: if the critics love a movie, but the kind of shitheads who yell
> things at the screen and storm out of a theatre don't, then the critics
> have it right.

> big grin

Good try but Clemmensen's reviews are horse shit for other reasons. He is a feminazi-supporting libtard. He'd probably want to mash it up with Admiral Holdo.



Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


CampOla
(n122-110-219-150.sun2.vic.optusne
t.com.au)

  In Response to:
Intestinal Worm

  Responses to this Comment:
Vader47000
Re: Christian, I'm disappointed in you   Monday, January 8, 2018 (9:26 p.m.) 

> Hey Christian, have you read this article?
> https://bittergertrude.com/2018/01/04/why-so-many-men-hate-the-last-jedi-but-cant-agree-on-why/

> The points you've made against the film are noticeably the same
> nondescript complaints heard from the highly vocal haters. 'Pacing
> issues'? Watch it again. Viewers experience pacing issues when their
> expectations aren't being met. Yes, it has pacing that's different from
> previous Star Wars films. Guess what? It's a NEW Star Wars film. It should
> have different pacing, otherwise we're just watching the same films again.
> 'Fallacies of logic'? Such as? You didn't specify any. 'Unsatisfactory
> behaviour'? So you wanted Luke to stay the same. Great idea - that sounds
> really interesting and exciting. And I suppose then you'd be complaining
> about lack of character development. 'Pointless subplots' - is a subplot
> pointless because the character's don't succeed in their plan? Maybe it's
> about the characters rather than the plan. One of the main themes of the
> film is characters learning from their mistakes. Who the hell wants to
> watch a film where the heroes never screw up? 'Poor performances by new
> characters' - You mean Rose and Holdo? This seems awfully like personal
> opinion presented as consensus. I haven't heard anyone complain about
> their performances. Is the reason you don't like them because they're
> women?

> Why is Leia using the Force to save herself laughable? Because she's a
> woman? Do you secretly hate women, Christian? A person can survive exposed
> in the vacuum of space for up to 90 seconds before they die of
> asphyxiation. The Force can be used to move objects telekinetically. Even
> the lightest directional force applied to an object in zero gravity will
> send the object in that direction forever unless acted upon by another
> force or object. Leia has the Force - we've seen this. Like Luke, she uses
> Force telekinesis for the first time in a moment of life-or-death
> desperation and pushes herself in the direction of the ship. What's so
> offensive about watching something that makes perfect sense? Is it because
> deep down you can't stand to see a woman save herself?

> Tip: if the critics love a movie, but the kind of shitheads who yell
> things at the screen and storm out of a theatre don't, then the critics
> have it right.

> big grin

Seriously, what was with his comment about Laura Dern's "fangirl performance"? What does that even mean? Was it the fact that her character held a deep respect and loyalty to Leia which was very clearly articulated in the dialogue? I feel like CC hasn't watched the same film I have.


Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Vader47000
<Send E-Mail>
(75-63-25-87.lightspeed.irvnca.sbc
global.net)

  In Response to:
CampOla
Re: Christian, I'm disappointed in you   Tuesday, January 9, 2018 (3:58 a.m.) 

> Seriously, what was with his comment about Laura Dern's 'fangirl
> performance'? What does that even mean? Was it the fact that her character
> held a deep respect and loyalty to Leia which was very clearly articulated
> in the dialogue? I feel like CC hasn't watched the same film I have.

Agreed. What strikes me most about reviews critical of the movie is that people who hate it are basing their opinion on an assumption that things they need for the story to make sense aren't there, whereas those elements are in fact in the movie and the complaining viewer just didn't seem to notice or understand what was actually going on.

For instance, the notion that the star destroyers not being able to catch up to the Resistance cruisers at sub-light was "inexplicable," when the reason they couldn't was explicitly spelled out in the dialogue — the resistance cruisers were smaller and faster, and the First Order officers saw no need to expend fuel resources trying to catch up to them when they would either run out of fuel trying to escape at sub-light or run out of fuel making one last hyperspace jump, which was pointless since the First Order could track them.

Seriously, when people complain about "plot holes" or "pacing issues" I seriously have no idea what they're talking about — and whatever specific examples they're able to bring up I find I'm able to easily refute with a simple explanation.

At this point, I'm starting to think I saw not just a different movie than these people, but, given their efforts to claim the movie "broke Star Wars," that I have been watching a completely different franchise than them for 40 years.


Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Edmund Meinerts
<Send E-Mail>
(p57adcd95.dip0.t-ipconnect.de)
Profile Picture
  In Response to:
Intestinal Worm

  Responses to this Comment:
Vader47000
Re: Christian, I'm disappointed in you   Tuesday, January 9, 2018 (2:29 a.m.) 

> 'Pacing
> issues'? Watch it again. Viewers experience pacing issues when their
> expectations aren't being met. Yes, it has pacing that's different from
> previous Star Wars films. Guess what? It's a NEW Star Wars film. It should
> have different pacing, otherwise we're just watching the same films again.

Eh, I can't agree with you here. Bad pacing is bad pacing, and there's simply no getting past the fact that the Finn/Rose on Canto Bight subplot didn't contribute anything to the overall plot of the film. Perhaps you will argue that it wasn't about plot, but rather character or the importance of showing how some plans don't work out...fair enough, but in that case I don't think the film followed up on that comprehensively enough. The Finn/Rose relationship felt rushed, the payoff of Rose stopping Finn from sacrificing himself felt a bit unearned. And after all, things constantly go wrong for our heroes in The Empire Strikes Back (perhaps an intentional effort was being made to mirror that film) and yet I never feel like what they are doing is pointless, nor do I get the impression that nothing would have been any different had they not attempted their plan the way I did

I did enjoy The Last Jedi in many ways, and I don't agree with much of Christian's stance on the film (nor do I think it should have colored the review to the extent that it did, but that's another matter entirely). But to immediately knee-jerk accuse anyone who points out its flaws of being a woman-hating fanboy is the wrong response. I've got no issues with Leia using the Force to save herself. I have all sorts of issues with the way she saved herself, though. Couldn't that situation have been handled in a way that was a bit less...laughable? Like maybe not have her float for several minutes before suddenly waking up out of nowhere? If you were blasted into the gulf of space and had Force powers, wouldn't you immediately use them to try and save yourself rather than wait, almost as if you know you're in a movie and are teasing the audience with your imminent demise and trying to make things as melodramatic as possible?


Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Vader47000
(75-63-25-87.lightspeed.irvnca.sbc
global.net)

  In Response to:
Edmund Meinerts

  Responses to this Comment:
CampOla
Re: Christian, I'm disappointed in you [EDITED TWICE]   Tuesday, January 9, 2018 (3:47 a.m.) 

> Eh, I can't agree with you here. Bad pacing is bad pacing, and there's
> simply no getting past the fact that the Finn/Rose on Canto Bight subplot
> didn't contribute anything to the overall plot of the film. Perhaps you
> will argue that it wasn't about plot, but rather character or the
> importance of showing how some plans don't work out...fair enough, but in
> that case I don't think the film followed up on that comprehensively
> enough. The Finn/Rose relationship felt rushed, the payoff of Rose
> stopping Finn from sacrificing himself felt a bit unearned. And after all,
> things constantly go wrong for our heroes in The Empire Strikes
> Back
(perhaps an intentional effort was being made to mirror that
> film) and yet I never feel like what they are doing is pointless, nor do I
> get the impression that nothing would have been any different had they not
> attempted their plan the way I did

> I did enjoy The Last Jedi in many ways, and I don't agree with much
> of Christian's stance on the film (nor do I think it should have colored
> the review to the extent that it did, but that's another matter entirely).
> But to immediately knee-jerk accuse anyone who points out its flaws of
> being a woman-hating fanboy is the wrong response. I've got no issues with
> Leia using the Force to save herself. I have all sorts of issues with the
> way she saved herself, though. Couldn't that situation have been
> handled in a way that was a bit less...laughable? Like maybe not have her
> float for several minutes before suddenly waking up out of nowhere? If you
> were blasted into the gulf of space and had Force powers, wouldn't you
> immediately use them to try and save yourself rather than wait,
> almost as if you know you're in a movie and are teasing the audience with
> your imminent demise and trying to make things as melodramatic as
> possible?

The Canto Bight scenes had a pretty impactful role on the plot actually.

From a character standpoint, they are the path for Finn to learn about embracing a cause bigger than his own survival. Until then, his only motivation for the two films has been about, as Maz says, running away from the fight. At the beginning of Last Jedi, all he wants is to save Rey and get away from the Resistance. The trip to Canto Bight and aftermath leads him finally to embrace the spirit of rebellion, which is exemplified by his attempt at self-sacrifice in the final battle.

Rose breaks up this attempt because, having already dealt with her sister sacrificing herself at the beginning, she can't let someone else she has grown close to do that for her.

More fundamentally, though, Poe, Finn and Rose's hackneyed plan and the improvisation they need to get through it leads to them deciding to employ an off-brand codebreaker whose loyalties are ultimately dubious. While DJ is sincere in helping them, he also has information he's able to trade with the First Order to save himself. This contrasts him with Finn in the journey to accept a cause. But he got the information about the escaping cargo ships because he overheard Poe and Finn recklessly discussing it on the comms (hence that rather obvious cutaway to him during the conversation listening in).

This directly leads to the First Order discovering the ships and firing upon them, getting even more Resistance troops killed and forcing Holdo to sacrifice herself to save the rest. It also likely accelerated the final battle since there's no telling if the First Order would have attacked Crait right then and there. But it should be noted that because the First Order attacks right then and there, Luke has to use his Force Projection trick to help them right then (as I assume that once they are in the clear, Leia jumps on the Millennium Falcon and goes to Ahch-To herself). So, if you'd like, you may blame Poe for the death of Luke, but that's for another debate.

Anyway, the result of leading a mutiny in support of a foolhardy mission that gets even more people killed is a huge slap in the face to Poe (and not just the literal slap Leia gave him earlier), who finally realizes that noble sacrifice for short term gain isn't doing the Resistance any favors. That's why he orders the skim speeders to break off the attack on the battering ram cannon in the face of certain destruction, with the hope of finding another way to regroup. (Interestingly enough, Finn by the end is pretty much in the same position Poe was at the beginning — turning off his comms when ordered to retreat so he could pursue the plan he prefers without regard to the bigger picture).

On top of that, just from a filmmaking perspective, the whole Canto Bight plan is meant to subvert audience expectations that the heroes always come out on top in one way or another (tying into the film's primary theme of learning from failure). Sure, Empire Strikes Back is filled with defeat for the heroes, but defeat with purpose, as they inevitably are either retreating in the face of doom or doing enough to thwart the actual plans of the bad guys, which is in its own way a victory. Here, the entire plot is set up to make us think that of course the characters we know are right and the ones we don't are wrong. Holdo thus represents just another outsider to the audience who we have no reason to believe knows what she's doing. That's why Ackbar had to be removed from the story, since having him in charge would not have inspired Poe to go against his orders (maybe abruptly killing him off with a one-line explanation wasn't the way to go, but it didn't hurt the story). This is the classic trope in action and sci-fi, where the heroes suddenly find themselves outranked by characters who either don't know what they are doing or don't care, forcing the heroes to disobey them for the greater good. James Bond and James Kirk do this kind of stuff all the time (on Star Trek, the 'crazy admiral' trope is rampant).


(Message edited on Tuesday, January 9, 2018, at 7:26 a.m. and Tuesday, January 9, 2018, at 7:34 a.m.)


Post Full Response         Threaded display


CampOla
(n122-110-219-150.sun2.vic.optusne
t.com.au)

  In Response to:
Vader47000

  Responses to this Comment:
Vader47000
Re: Christian, I'm disappointed in you   Tuesday, January 9, 2018 (4:17 a.m.) 

That was an excellent post. Articaulted all of my thoughts perfectly. Also here’s some excellent reading on Luke’s character in the film and why it wasn’t the colossal failure people are making it out to be:

http://bigshinyrobot.com/60239/luke-skywalkers-arc-star-wars-last-jedi/

There’s also some references to Rian Johnson’s excellent homages to Samurai films (which any Star Wars fan knows was a huge inspiration for the original film).

This was the most Star Wars film since Star Wars which makes all of the fanboy outcry tragically ironic,


Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Vader47000
<Send E-Mail>
(75-63-25-87.lightspeed.irvnca.sbc
global.net)

  In Response to:
CampOla

  Responses to this Comment:
Achilles
Re: Christian, I'm disappointed in you   Tuesday, January 9, 2018 (7:31 a.m.) 

> That was an excellent post. Articaulted all of my thoughts perfectly. Also
> here’s some excellent reading on Luke’s character in the film and why it
> wasn’t the colossal failure people are making it out to be:

> http://bigshinyrobot.com/60239/luke-skywalkers-arc-star-wars-last-jedi/

> There’s also some references to Rian Johnson’s excellent homages to
> Samurai films (which any Star Wars fan knows was a huge inspiration for
> the original film).

> This was the most Star Wars film since Star Wars which makes all of the
> fanboy outcry tragically ironic,

I also got a chuckle out of seeing the homage to 1927's Wings (first best picture Oscar winner) in the zoom-in through the casino tables to land on Finn at the end. Not because it was blatant or anything out of place, but because a few days earlier I had just watched a video about the best movie shots of all time and the Wings shot was one of the examples used in the video.


Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Achilles
<Send E-Mail>
(178.128.170.160.dsl.dyn.forthnet.
gr)

  In Response to:
Vader47000

  Responses to this Comment:
Sylvie
Re: Christian, I'm disappointed in you   Wednesday, January 24, 2018 (12:53 p.m.) 

‘Last Jedi’ is an incompetently made movie that disrespects the Star Wars mythology, and mocks the fanbase. It is ‘undefendable’ (just like the bizarre line Luke says at one point ‘ I came to the most ‘Unfindable’ place in the Galaxy’. “Great” writing by the way.

1. Luke’s character treatment is a travesty that disappoints and disrespects all fans that held this hero so dear to their hearts. He is written, literally, as some grumpy old coward, suffering from Alzheimer’s disease, who dies from a heart attack, all alone on a rock. Anyone who finds this Ark satisfying surely is sick or disturbed.

2. While ruining Luke, at the same time the film fails spectacularly in developing the new characters and making them interesting.
- Ray is just a ‘nobody’ that is perfect at everything, learning nothing from nobody. Making her a ‘nobody’ is a nobble choice, but after this revelation no one understands why she is involved in this story, and why she is so flawless and strong.
- Kylo is just angry at everybody for no solid reason and has no apparent motives; he is cyclothymic, going from bad to confused and undecided back and forth, while not truly threatening.
- Snoke. Well the writers were too lazy to explain anything about him, so he is killed off in the most silly and outlandish way possible, with his tongue sticking out.
- General Hux is now just a buffoon straight from a parody movie.
- Fin is now the typical ‘comic relief black guy’ with a terrible storyline alongside..
- ...Rose, probably the most annoying and irrational character in Star Wars mythology.
- Poe is now a hothead misogynist (Poe’s line: ‘This is THE admiral Holdo? Not what I expected’) who has to learn to blindly obey commands.
- Holdo is deliberately presented as a bitch who withholds information (only to trick the audience), and she is supposedly redeemed in the end by sacrificing herself, but there is no emotional impact and nobody cares about her.
- DJ... Who is DJ really? Well, just some guy who happened to be in a prison cell. Oh and he stutters.
- Captain Phasma, is there just to sell action figures.

3. The main plot point is so bad (even for a fantasy movie) that makes the main story absurd. ‘The remaining resistance ship, can’t make a light speed jump, and is running out of fuel (wtf? When was fuel ever an issue in Star Wars). But it can keep a distance for hours and hours, and for some unknown reason the First Order are not able to shoot them or catch up with them’.

4. Star Wars mythology is ridiculed and ruined: Force is now just like a super-hero attribute, and basically anyone can have it and do anything with it, survive in space, fly, make long distant skype-calls, project themselves across the galaxy etc. Ships now apparently can be used as weapons, crashing them with light speed onto other ships – completely ruining everything we knew about space-battle tactics in Star Wars so far.

5. The humor is tremendously distasteful and misused, and usually follows all dramatic moments, ridiculing all of them. ‘Momma Joke’... What is next? Fart jokes?

6. Besides all the dreadful problems of the above, the main issue is that basically for some unknown reason, Rian Johnson set out to viciously attack and subvert EVERY SINGLE obvious expectation of fans, to such an extent that he actually managed to make a mockery of them. Most of the subversions are not done in a clever way, but rather in the expense of a rational script. The outrage is a normal reaction by any fan that was mocked at, and it is to be expected.


Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Sylvie
<Send E-Mail>
(197.30.64.86.rev.sfr.net)

  In Response to:
Achilles

  Responses to this Comment:
Achilles
Re: Christian, I'm disappointed in you   Wednesday, February 7, 2018 (7:59 a.m.) 
• Now Playing: Star Wars - The Force awakens soundtrack  

> ‘Last Jedi’ is an incompetently made movie that disrespects the Star Wars
> mythology, and mocks the fanbase. It is ‘undefendable’ (just like the
> bizarre line Luke says at one point ‘ I came to the most ‘Unfindable’
> place in the Galaxy’. “Great” writing by the way.

> 1. Luke’s character treatment is a travesty that disappoints and
> disrespects all fans that held this hero so dear to their hearts. He is
> written, literally, as some grumpy old coward, suffering from Alzheimer’s
> disease, who dies from a heart attack, all alone on a rock. Anyone who
> finds this Ark satisfying surely is sick or disturbed.

> 2. While ruining Luke, at the same time the film fails spectacularly in
> developing the new characters and making them interesting.
> - Ray is just a ‘nobody’ that is perfect at everything, learning nothing
> from nobody. Making her a ‘nobody’ is a nobble choice, but after this
> revelation no one understands why she is involved in this story, and why
> she is so flawless and strong.
> - Kylo is just angry at everybody for no solid reason and has no apparent
> motives; he is cyclothymic, going from bad to confused and undecided back
> and forth, while not truly threatening.
> - Snoke. Well the writers were too lazy to explain anything about him, so
> he is killed off in the most silly and outlandish way possible, with his
> tongue sticking out.
> - General Hux is now just a buffoon straight from a parody movie.
> - Fin is now the typical ‘comic relief black guy’ with a terrible
> storyline alongside..
> - ...Rose, probably the most annoying and irrational character in Star
> Wars mythology.
> - Poe is now a hothead misogynist (Poe’s line: ‘This is THE admiral Holdo?
> Not what I expected’) who has to learn to blindly obey commands.
> - Holdo is deliberately presented as a bitch who withholds information
> (only to trick the audience), and she is supposedly redeemed in the end by
> sacrificing herself, but there is no emotional impact and nobody cares
> about her.
> - DJ... Who is DJ really? Well, just some guy who happened to be in a
> prison cell. Oh and he stutters.
> - Captain Phasma, is there just to sell action figures.

> 3. The main plot point is so bad (even for a fantasy movie) that makes the
> main story absurd. ‘The remaining resistance ship, can’t make a light
> speed jump, and is running out of fuel (wtf? When was fuel ever an issue
> in Star Wars). But it can keep a distance for hours and hours, and for
> some unknown reason the First Order are not able to shoot them or catch up
> with them’.

> 4. Star Wars mythology is ridiculed and ruined: Force is now just like a
> super-hero attribute, and basically anyone can have it and do anything
> with it, survive in space, fly, make long distant skype-calls, project
> themselves across the galaxy etc. Ships now apparently can be used as
> weapons, crashing them with light speed onto other ships – completely
> ruining everything we knew about space-battle tactics in Star Wars so far.

> 5. The humor is tremendously distasteful and misused, and usually follows
> all dramatic moments, ridiculing all of them. ‘Momma Joke’... What is
> next? Fart jokes?

> 6. Besides all the dreadful problems of the above, the main issue is that
> basically for some unknown reason, Rian Johnson set out to viciously
> attack and subvert EVERY SINGLE obvious expectation of fans, to such an
> extent that he actually managed to make a mockery of them. Most of the
> subversions are not done in a clever way, but rather in the expense of a
> rational script. The outrage is a normal reaction by any fan that was
> mocked at, and it is to be expected.

I simply love it when someone takes it upon himself to decide what a movie should have been, what expectations should have been met, and how when they have not been the movie then is a "travesty". Shades of "Disney ruined Star Wars/my childhood"... Maybe you should write your resume and send it to Lucasfilm, offering your services as screenwriter/director, just to show them how it should be done, since you seem to understand both the story and how to tell it better than them ! Shades of 1999, when just about everyone presumed to tell Lucas how he should have told the story he had imagined...
Here we have an amazingly intelligent movie, that turned tables on everyone, me included, and guess what, I, lifelong Star Wars Fan (I am old enough to have fallen in love with the first movie when I saw it in 1977), I, a mature 55 year old civil servant, who has never stopped loving passionately Star Wars, who despaired in 1983 after Return of the Jedi marked what was at the time the end of Star Wars movies, who rejoiced in 1999 when an admittedly uneven Phantom menace opened, who thought again in 2005, after the amazing Revenge of the Sith, that that was truly it this time, no more Star Wars, I applauded wholeheartedly in 2015 when the Force awakened and I am now completely in awe of what a great job Rian Johnson did with his masterful The last Jedi. It is, in my opinion, one of the best movies of the Saga. I'd say the best with Empire strikes back.
Because it is both faithful to the spirit of the Saga and new in its approach. Yes, some things could have been handled differently, most notably Leia's "flying scene", which although perfectly logical is visually not the most satisfactory, while being, in my opinion anyway, heart-breakingly prophetic...
But that is only my opinion and my point of view. And as you know, it is all a question of point of view...
As for the music of The last Jedi, I really love it. It flows very naturally, embedding old themes with new themes, and it has one of the most powerful cues in the Saga, the magnificent "The spark", which follows Luke's walk towards his destiny. If I have one regret, it's that the extraordinary cue used in the final trailer, which uses that particular theme, was not included on the album. It was so mindblowingly beautiful, it deserved a spot with the rest of the score.


Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Achilles
<Send E-Mail>
(178.128.74.72.dsl.dyn.forthnet.gr)

  In Response to:
Sylvie

  Responses to this Comment:
Sylvie
Re: Christian, I'm disappointed in you   Saturday, February 10, 2018 (9:44 a.m.) 

> Here we have an amazingly intelligent movie, that turned tables on
> everyone, me included

I admire your effort to defend this movie.

Please read again what I wrote. I never said “what the movie should have been”. I simply pointed out why this movie is really bad, based on story writing and characters. I was not paid millions to write a script and direct a Star Wars movie, Rian Johnson was however and the sad thing is that he came up with this travesty.

As for expectations, it’s not fans expectations that is the problem here, rather than lazy writing, and the obsession of Rian Johnson in subverting everything, only for the sake of subversion, and making silly Jokes, instead of focusing on writing a good story.

I will give you just one example. Force Awakens ended on a cliffhanger, when we finally first see Luke after 35 years, in a dramatic ending, being handed the Light Saber that belonged to his father, the one that Obi Wan gave him, and then lost it when Darth Vader cut off his hand. For a Star Wars fan, this scene carries so much weight; it creates a very emotional load that reminds us the beautiful and moving history of Star Wars mythology. Also creates many questions. How was the Light Saber recovered? Who found it? Of course nobody knows what will happen next, but the scene itself leads you to expect a dramatic continuation, a humble reaction of some sort.

So what did Rian Johnson do? In ‘Last Jedi’ this scene continues, the music swells (obviously playing with the audience expectations), and then Luke comically tosses the whole history of Star Wars, behind his back over the cliff, and walks away. (well yes, I heard just a few awkward ‘Ha…’ laughs in the theater I was in).

Now if you, as you say, a “lifelong Star Wars Fan, who has never stopped loving passionately Star Wars” etc, find this amusing, congratulations. I’m glad you enjoyed being mocked at.

I pointed out COUNTLESS ISSUES with the film, and all you had to say was “Here we have an amazingly intelligent movie, that turned tables on everyone”. If you want to defend this movie, please try again, when you have something substantial to say.



Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Sylvie
<Send E-Mail>
(91-160-117-44.subs.proxad.net)

  In Response to:
Achilles
Re: Christian, I'm disappointed in you   Sunday, February 11, 2018 (7:23 a.m.) 

> I admire your effort to defend this movie.

> Please read again what I wrote. I never said “what the movie should have
> been”. I simply pointed out why this movie is really bad, based on story
> writing and characters. I was not paid millions to write a script and
> direct a Star Wars movie, Rian Johnson was however and the sad thing is
> that he came up with this travesty.

> As for expectations, it’s not fans expectations that is the problem here,
> rather than lazy writing, and the obsession of Rian Johnson in subverting
> everything, only for the sake of subversion, and making silly Jokes,
> instead of focusing on writing a good story.

> I will give you just one example. Force Awakens ended on a cliffhanger,
> when we finally first see Luke after 35 years, in a dramatic ending, being
> handed the Light Saber that belonged to his father, the one that Obi Wan
> gave him, and then lost it when Darth Vader cut off his hand. For a Star
> Wars fan, this scene carries so much weight; it creates a very emotional
> load that reminds us the beautiful and moving history of Star Wars
> mythology. Also creates many questions. How was the Light Saber recovered?
> Who found it? Of course nobody knows what will happen next, but the scene
> itself leads you to expect a dramatic continuation, a humble reaction of
> some sort.

> So what did Rian Johnson do? In ‘Last Jedi’ this scene continues, the
> music swells (obviously playing with the audience expectations), and then
> Luke comically tosses the whole history of Star Wars, behind his back over
> the cliff, and walks away. (well yes, I heard just a few awkward ‘Ha…’
> laughs in the theater I was in).

> Now if you, as you say, a “lifelong Star Wars Fan, who has never stopped
> loving passionately Star Wars” etc, find this amusing, congratulations.
> I’m glad you enjoyed being mocked at.

> I pointed out COUNTLESS ISSUES with the film, and all you had to say was
> “Here we have an amazingly intelligent movie, that turned tables on
> everyone”. If you want to defend this movie, please try again, when you
> have something substantial to say.

Well, Achilles, while it is always rather pleasant to be considered a fool who "enjoyed being mocked at", I don't see why I should defend a movie I loved. Every argument I have for loving it would probably be one reason why you hated it anyway !
Case in point : the scene where Rey holds out Luke's lightsaber and he simply throws it away. I thought that was brilliant ! Everyone, me included, expected some kind of grandiose scene, and here we are, Luke just does not care. I think it's brilliant. You think it's disgraceful. Point of view !
You know, it seems you had the bitter deal here, because you had to suffer through a movie you consider bad and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Yes, I am a lifelong fan of Star Wars, and yes that movie made sense for me. I'm sorry if it did not make sense for you. As for judging whether it's bad or good, that is all a matter of personal taste. There are people who think Citizen Kane is a dull bore-fest and some who think it is one the greatest masterpieces in movie history. My ex-husband used to say Apocalypse Now was awful, then, after about 15 years, he watched it again and came back saying "wow, that movie is a masterpiece".
My sister, who is not exactly a Star Wars fan, it's just movies for her, saw it and was enthusiastic, saying it had brought her back 40 years in time, to that saturday evening in 1977 when we first saw Star Wars.
From where I stand; The last Jedi is a very good film, well written, and I like its look. And it makes sense to me, according to my personal understanding of the Star Wars Saga. And it's perfectly ok with me if your personal understanding of the Saga differs from mine and your opinion of that movie is not mine>. You are entitled to your opinion. I am entitled to mine. Neither opinion is more or less valid, they are just that, opinions.
So let's agree to disagree on this one.
And I also happen to think that the music Williams wrote for it is wonderful.
Yes, I know, I am stupid and halfway to crazy, but that's ok, I can live with that, and with others being of a different mind.
By the way, there is a big difference between saying "the movie is bad" (stating an absolute truth) and saying "I think this movie is bad" (expressing a personal opinion). Remember, "only a Sith deals in absolutes"...



Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display



Copyright © 1998-2018, Filmtracks Publications. All rights reserved.
The reviews and other textual content contained on the filmtracks.com site may not be published, broadcast,
rewritten or redistributed without the prior written authority of Christian Clemmensen at Filmtracks Publications. Scoreboard created 7/24/98 and last updated 4/25/15.