SUPPORT FILMTRACKS! CLICK HERE FIRST:
Amazon.com
Amazon.co.uk
iTunes (U.S.)
Amazon.ca
Amazon.fr
eBay (U.S.)
Amazon.de
Amazon.es
Half.com
Glisten Effect
Editorial Reviews
Scoreboard Forum
Viewer Ratings
Composers
Awards
   NEWEST MAJOR REVIEWS:
     1. Venom
    2. House With a Clock/Walls
   3. The Nun
  4. Crazy Rich Asians
 5. The Meg
6. Christopher Robin
   CURRENT MOST POPULAR REVIEWS:
         1. Edward Scissorhands
        2. Jurassic World: Kingdom
       3. Batman
      4. The Predator
     5. Gladiator
    6. Mission: Impossible - Fallout
   7. Solo: A Star Wars Story
  8. Apollo 13
 9. Ant-Man and the Wasp
10. The Equalizer 2
Home Page
Menu Options ▼
Comments about the soundtrack for The Legend of Zorro (James Horner)
I usually dont like film music but...

Caesar
(87-196-111-191.net.novis.pt)


  Responses to this Comment:
Jockolantern
I usually dont like film music but...   Monday, November 28, 2005 (9:01 a.m.) 

I usually dont like film music. Is a very simple music, with a very simple harmony and normally a vulgar orchestration. Most of the scores are bad stravinskys or bad shostakovichs or bad prokofievs. But i trully admire Mask of Zorro and specially Legend of Zorro. Is not a masterpiece but is a very exciting work. Reminds me another score that i admire, Cutthroat Island, but not that darker.

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Jockolantern
<Send E-Mail>
(71-36-254-46.chyn.qwest.net)

  In Response to:
Caesar

  Responses to this Comment:
Caesar
Re: I usually dont like film music but...   Tuesday, November 29, 2005 (12:12 a.m.) 

> I usually dont like film music. Is a very simple music, with a very simple
> harmony and normally a vulgar orchestration. Most of the scores are bad
> stravinskys or bad shostakovichs or bad prokofievs.

Any examples you care to point to? Your arguments are quite baseless. Film music as a whole has anything but "vulgar" orchestration and listening to guys like Williams, Horner, Goldenthal, Goldsmith, Kamen, Doyle, Elfman, etc. will let you hear just how complicated harmonies get in film music.

Sayonara!
Jockolatnern

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Caesar
(87-196-102-172.net.novis.pt)

  In Response to:
Jockolantern

  Responses to this Comment:
Nick
Pogel Adler
Re: I usually dont like film music but...   Tuesday, November 29, 2005 (1:36 a.m.) 

Complicated harmonies? Most of it is pure tonal music with the same harmonic directions. Goldenthal is more a classical composer than a film music composer. His Titus is great though. Williams and Goldenthal gifts are melodic, although Williams steals a lot (Schindler´s List Theme - Mahler 8 symphony; ET Theme - Mendelssohn Hebrides Overture etc etc). His dissonances are basic stravinskian models and his chromatism is very simple and repetitive. Elfman has only one score that grabs me: Sleepy Hollow. Here he takes some interesting directions, Doyle Schakesperian scores sound all the same to me, same tonal sctruture, same orchestration based most of it on the strings. Sense and Sensibility has some moments though.

Try to hear a Bruckner symphony, a Bach fugue or a Wagner opera and then you will understand my arrogant attitude. This is complex music, melodically genious, with an unexpect structure and harmony and farrrrrrrrrrr greater orchestration. I am sure you already heard it.

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Nick
<Send E-Mail>
(cpe001111e92573-cm0010954a0ee8.cp
e.net.cable.rogers.com)

  In Response to:
Caesar

  Responses to this Comment:
Caesar
Re: I usually dont like film music but...   Wednesday, November 30, 2005 (8:15 p.m.) 

What's wrong with enjoying orchestral music that wasn't written over a hundred years ago or so?

Film music is not the same as classical music. While there are times when it can be as complex as any of the works you mentioned, the time involved in writing scores is often very short, and (especially with audiences with short attention spans) the more complex a melody is, the less memorable it becomes in associating it with a character in a film. Film music exists for one reason: to accompany the picture emotionally. I have no problem believing that any good film composer could write as complex a symphony as the best of the classics- away from the conformity and schedule of a film.

I like film music, but I don't like classical music. I can't connect to it on an enjoyment or emotional level. Perhaps with your admittedly arrogant attitude that makes me simple-minded, I don't know..nor do I care.

> Complicated harmonies? Most of it is pure tonal music with the same
> harmonic directions. Goldenthal is more a classical composer than a film
> music composer. His Titus is great though. Williams and Goldenthal gifts
> are melodic, although Williams steals a lot (Schindler´s List Theme -
> Mahler 8 symphony; ET Theme - Mendelssohn Hebrides Overture etc etc). His
> dissonances are basic stravinskian models and his chromatism is very
> simple and repetitive. Elfman has only one score that grabs me: Sleepy
> Hollow. Here he takes some interesting directions, Doyle Schakesperian
> scores sound all the same to me, same tonal sctruture, same orchestration
> based most of it on the strings. Sense and Sensibility has some moments
> though.

> Try to hear a Bruckner symphony, a Bach fugue or a Wagner opera and then
> you will understand my arrogant attitude. This is complex music,
> melodically genious, with an unexpect structure and harmony and
> farrrrrrrrrrr greater orchestration. I am sure you already heard it.


Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Caesar
(87-196-107-170.net.novis.pt)

  In Response to:
Nick

  Responses to this Comment:
Erik
Theowne
Re: I usually dont like film music but...   Thursday, December 1, 2005 (5:03 a.m.) 

> there are times when it can be as complex as any of the works you mentioned, the time involved in writing scores is often very short

Mozart composed his last three symphonies in less than a month and his requiem in two weeks. Rossini composed Barber of Seville in less than three weeks. Bach composed cantatas (30 minutes each) by week... The list goes on and on...

And please, dont even say that a film music score by Williams or Goldsmith can be as complex as a Wagner opera or a Mahler symphony. This is a very simple kind of music that sounds great and complex only to the vulgar ear.

In the film music genre i only consider two masterpieces and one great great great job: Alexander Nevsky, Ivan the Terrible and Cutthroat Island.

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Erik
<Send E-Mail>
(cpe000c6e59b7e7-cm000f9facfd34.cp
e.net.cable.rogers.com)
Profile Picture
  In Response to:
Caesar
Re: I usually dont like film music but...   Sunday, December 4, 2005 (8:26 a.m.) 

what do you think of the film music composed by some of the great classical composers? such as Prokofiev, Takemitsu etc...

another question... what do you think of some of today's forerunners in classical style music? Rautavaara?

What do you think of Edgar Varese?

just curious...

> Mozart composed his last three symphonies in less than a month and his
> requiem in two weeks. Rossini composed Barber of Seville in less than
> three weeks. Bach composed cantatas (30 minutes each) by week... The list
> goes on and on...

> And please, dont even say that a film music score by Williams or Goldsmith
> can be as complex as a Wagner opera or a Mahler symphony. This is a very
> simple kind of music that sounds great and complex only to the vulgar ear.

> In the film music genre i only consider two masterpieces and one great
> great great job: Alexander Nevsky, Ivan the Terrible and Cutthroat Island.


Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Theowne
(toronto-hse-ppp3878370.sympatico.
ca)

  In Response to:
Caesar

  Responses to this Comment:
Caesar
Re: I usually dont like film music but...   Wednesday, December 7, 2005 (7:24 p.m.) 

> Mozart composed his last three symphonies in less than a month and his
> requiem in two weeks. Rossini composed Barber of Seville in less than
> three weeks. Bach composed cantatas (30 minutes each) by week... The list
> goes on and on...

> And please, dont even say that a film music score by Williams or Goldsmith
> can be as complex as a Wagner opera or a Mahler symphony. This is a very
> simple kind of music that sounds great and complex only to the vulgar ear.

> In the film music genre i only consider two masterpieces and one great
> great great job: Alexander Nevsky, Ivan the Terrible and Cutthroat Island.

I really feel sorry for you Cesaer. You've ditched what music is all about and fallen into the trap of superiority complexes. I don't need them nor will most of us care for them.

Film music isn't great or complex? It doesn't matter what you think in this situation, because you are obviously in a classical mindset. Film music is to accompany film. Half of the beauty of film music is how it represents characters, ideas, and emotions so well, and how it can characterize an entire visual production with music. Other may not agree with me but I believe that. And it seems, in your quest of belittlement and superiority, you have forgotten the beauty of simplicity =

So whatever, continue to live in your complex musical little world, feeling superior with each note that rings in your ears, I will sit here, listening to my "vulgar" and stupid music, enjoying every single note. At the end of the day, I have a feeling I will be one enjoying myself more.

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Caesar
(87-196-72-153.net.novis.pt)

  In Response to:
Theowne

  Responses to this Comment:
Theowne
Re: I usually dont like film music but...   Saturday, December 10, 2005 (5:10 a.m.) 

Uh... touching.

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Theowne
(hse-toronto-ppp3484860.sympatico.
ca)

  In Response to:
Caesar

  Responses to this Comment:
Nick
Caesar
Re: I usually dont like film music but...   Saturday, December 10, 2005 (6:26 p.m.) 

> Uh... touching.

Yes, it is kind of amazing what music can invoke inside a person, isn't it?

Then again, I doubt you would know (as displayed here, proving what I said )

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Nick
<Send E-Mail>
(cpe001111e92573-cm0010954a0ee8.cp
e.net.cable.rogers.com)

  In Response to:
Theowne
Re: I usually dont like film music but...   Saturday, December 10, 2005 (11:25 p.m.) 

> Yes, it is kind of amazing what music can invoke inside a person, isn't
> it?

> Then again, I doubt you would know (as displayed here, proving what I said
> )

Thanks for backing me up on this.

I find it odd that someone like Caesar would bother spending any time looking at a website devoted to stupid and vulgar music he obviously doesn't like.
I mean sure, his first post is called "I usually don't like film music but..." but, why bother telling anyone about it? Isn't that just sinking down to a level below his elite tastes?

At the very least, I'm glad he like the score, though I wonder why he would even listen to it in the first place.

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Caesar
(87-196-98-141.net.novis.pt)

  In Response to:
Theowne

  Responses to this Comment:
Theowne
Re: I usually dont like film music but...   Sunday, December 11, 2005 (1:32 a.m.) 

> Then again, I doubt you would know (as displayed here, proving what I said
> )

Of course i dont know. I have no soul or ears and i am made of stone.
You sure know my person...

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Theowne
(toronto-hse-ppp3886610.sympatico.
ca)

  In Response to:
Caesar
Re: I usually dont like film music but...   Sunday, December 11, 2005 (8:32 a.m.) 

> Of course i dont know. I have no soul or ears and i am made of stone.
>
You sure know my person...

Ah, so he's finally admitted it. It's okay, all you have to do is open your mind a bit.

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Pogel Adler
(p54a9fd30.dip.t-dialin.net)
Profile Picture
  In Response to:
Caesar
Re: I usually dont like film music but...   Tuesday, January 10, 2006 (3:14 a.m.) 

> Mendelssohn Hebrides Overture etc etc

Wait wait wait...you are saying that filmmusic is too simple and same-y for you, but then you bring up Mendelssohn?
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Mendelssohn, he has got to be one my favorite composer of all times, but his musically pallette was very limited... And so are the ones of many many other classical, romantic and contemporary composers.

Filmmusic IS sometimes (today more often than not) very bad orchestral music, full of half-witted rip-offs and unmotivated or uninformed writing, completely ignoring the possiblities of an orchestra (instead we get bloated junk with meaningless choir and bigger and bigger orchestrations).

I respect your opinion and can understand where you are coming from, and I agree to a degree, but in the end I still like the music because of the emotional impact it has on me, and that can be any kind of music. It just so happens that filmmusic has a lot of these moments for me.

> Try to hear a Bruckner symphony, a Bach fugue or a Wagner opera and then
> you will understand my arrogant attitude.

Talking about arrogant... I hate most of the Wagner opera stuff. I love seperate pieces, but this man was so full of himself, it's not funny anymore. The music is so bloated, so unbelieveably cheesy and completely meaningless to me.

This is complex music,
> melodically genious, with an unexpect structure and harmony and
> farrrrrrrrrrr greater orchestration. I am sure you already heard it.

Yes, and I love it. Still, there's a lot of great filmmusic, you just have to find it.

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display



Copyright © 1998-2018, Filmtracks Publications. All rights reserved.
The reviews and other textual content contained on the filmtracks.com site may not be published, broadcast,
rewritten or redistributed without the prior written authority of Christian Clemmensen at Filmtracks Publications. Scoreboard created 7/24/98 and last updated 4/25/15.