SUPPORT FILMTRACKS! CLICK HERE FIRST:
Amazon.com
Amazon.co.uk
iTunes (U.S.)
Amazon.ca
Amazon.fr
eBay (U.S.)
Amazon.de
Amazon.es
Half.com
Glisten Effect
Editorial Reviews
Scoreboard Forum
Viewer Ratings
Composers
Awards
   NEWEST MAJOR REVIEWS:
     1. Transformers: Last Knight
    2. Cars 3
   3. The Mummy
  4. Wonder Woman
 5. POTC: Dead Men Tell No Tales
6. Alien: Covenant


   CURRENT BEST-SELLING SCORES:
       1. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
      2. Fantastic Beasts/Find Them
     3. Willow
    4. The Ghost and the Darkness
   5. An American Tail
  6. The Wind and the Lion
 7. Doctor Strange
8. 10 Cloverfield Lane
   CURRENT MOST POPULAR REVIEWS:
         1. Star Wars: Force Awakens
        2. E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial
       3. Titanic
      4. Avatar
     5. Nineteen Eighty-Four
    6. Gladiator
   7. Star Wars: A New Hope
  8. Animal Farm
 9. LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring
10. Harry Potter: Sorcerer's Stone
Home Page
Menu Options ▼
Comments about the soundtrack for Let Me In (Michael Giacchino)
...sigh..

GeoScore
<Send E-Mail>
(pool-173-78-76-94.tampfl.fios.ver
izon.net)
Profile Picture

  Responses to this Comment:
KZ
Jack
JBlough
Mr. Jingle Jangles
...sigh..   Thursday, December 9, 2010 (9:07 a.m.) 

three things...

1) STOP MAKING COMPARISONS!!

2) ...now that that's out of the way, there's an error in the review. The man with her was not her father, but rather her lover that grew into an old man.. yes the movie encourages pedophilia..

3) STOP MAKING COMPARISONS!!

..seriously CC... I enjoy your reviews..you've got a great writing style..but the more you compare one score to another (*cough* Pirates with Cutthroat Island for example *cough*), the less respect I have of your opinion. It's a different composer, a different take... Its one thing if you didn't enjoy it, but to say its bad because the original was better is a biased way to review.


Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


KZ
<Send E-Mail>
(d75-158-196-11.abhsia.telus.net)
Profile Picture
  In Response to:
GeoScore
Re: ...sigh..   Thursday, December 9, 2010 (12:30 p.m.) 

> three things...

> 1) STOP MAKING COMPARISONS!!

> 2) ...now that that's out of the way, there's an error in the review. The
> man with her was not her father, but rather her lover that grew into an
> old man.. yes the movie encourages pedophilia..

> 3) STOP MAKING COMPARISONS!!

> ..seriously CC... I enjoy your reviews..you've got a great writing
> style..but the more you compare one score to another (*cough* Pirates with
> Cutthroat Island for example *cough*), the less respect I have of your
> opinion. It's a different composer, a different take... Its one thing if
> you didn't enjoy it, but to say its bad because the original was better is
> a biased way to review.

it's a remake. of course he's going to make comparisons to the original, because everyone listening to it will do the same.



Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Jack
<Send E-Mail>
(74-60-173-209.clt.clearwire-wmx.n
et)
Profile Picture
  In Response to:
GeoScore

  Responses to this Comment:
GeoScore
Re: ...sigh..   Thursday, December 9, 2010 (4:18 p.m.) 

> ..seriously CC... I enjoy your reviews..you've got a great writing
> style..but the more you compare one score to another (*cough* Pirates with
> Cutthroat Island for example *cough*), the less respect I have of your
> opinion. It's a different composer, a different take... Its one thing if
> you didn't enjoy it, but to say its bad because the original was better is
> a biased way to review.

Really, everyone will make comparisons with the other scores. People did it with Star Trek, Superman, Alien Vs Predator. You can't judge a score that's from a remake when the remake also had a notable score. Even stand alone, this score sucks.


Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


GeoScore
(pool-173-78-76-94.tampfl.fios.ver
izon.net)
Profile Picture
  In Response to:
Jack

  Responses to this Comment:
Jack
Re: ...sigh..   Thursday, December 9, 2010 (5:17 p.m.) 

> Really, everyone will make comparisons with the other scores. People did
> it with Star Trek, Superman, Alien Vs Predator. You can't judge a score
> that's from a remake when the remake also had a notable score. Even stand
> alone, this score sucks.

That's fine, but when you criticize the score for taking a different approach stylistically...It just doesn't seem fair.

..and its fine if you don't care for it, but to be perfectly honest - I expected to not like it. For some reason the innocence and beauty of the music ultimately won me over. It is too long and sometimes too reminiscent of Giacchino's drama material from LOST, but there were a few moments that just really got to me.


Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Jack
(74-60-173-209.clt.clearwire-wmx.n
et)
Profile Picture
  In Response to:
GeoScore
Re: ...sigh..   Friday, December 10, 2010 (5:39 a.m.) 

> That's fine, but when you criticize the score for taking a different
> approach stylistically...It just doesn't seem fair.

> ..and its fine if you don't care for it, but to be perfectly honest - I
> expected to not like it. For some reason the innocence and beauty of the
> music ultimately won me over. It is too long and sometimes too reminiscent
> of Giacchino's drama material from LOST, but there were a few moments that
> just really got to me.

You sound like you had the same impression as the reviewer. Most of the score is cold because of the terrible dry recording which I'm surprised never gets mentioned, since it's the biggest change in his music from his transition to movies. And since the movie is more a remake of the Swedish one, it seems plausible to make comparisons since they have aspects that are identical. But he also judged it as an album which is fair.

"As it is, the album long overstays its welcome and exposes the score's very sparse, barely audible portions as obvious weaknesses apart from the film. Expect to rearrange this score into a solid 15-minute suite and disregard the remainder."

Again, it's hard not to compare when there are also a lot of stylistic similarities between this score and Lost. I could say that isn't fair, but then again, I'd be wrong. I don't see the bias when even as a stand alone piece it's just not that good.


Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


JBlough
(wireless-165-124-136-96.nuwlan.no
rthwestern.edu)
Profile Picture
  In Response to:
GeoScore

  Responses to this Comment:
GeoScore
That's absurd   Thursday, December 9, 2010 (5:17 p.m.) 

> 3) STOP MAKING COMPARISONS!!

> ..seriously CC... I enjoy your reviews..you've got a great writing
> style..but the more you compare one score to another (*cough* Pirates with
> Cutthroat Island for example *cough*), the less respect I have of your
> opinion. It's a different composer, a different take... Its one thing if
> you didn't enjoy it, but to say its bad because the original was better is
> a biased way to review.

Scores in the same genre court comparison. It would be silly not to make the analysis, especially as a reviewer. Saying "this work does not compare favorably to this better work in the genre" does not diminish one's writing style. If anything, it proves the person did their homework.

You should probably consider the position you're taking. All comparisons (not just score-related ones) are bad? Seems faulty.


Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


GeoScore
(pool-173-78-76-94.tampfl.fios.ver
izon.net)
Profile Picture
  In Response to:
JBlough

  Responses to this Comment:
Mr. Jingle Jangles
JBlough
Re: That's absurd   Thursday, December 9, 2010 (5:35 p.m.) 

> Scores in the same genre court comparison. It would be silly not to make
> the analysis, especially as a reviewer. Saying "this work does not
> compare favorably to this better work in the genre" does not diminish
> one's writing style. If anything, it proves the person did their homework.

> You should probably consider the position you're taking. All comparisons
> (not just score-related ones) are bad? Seems faulty.

As I said previously, its the criticism of the style that bugs me. In the instance of the whole "Pirates vs. Cutthroat Island".. CC criticizes Pirates for not being Cutthroat Island.. He makes the statement that there's a TRUE way of scoring a particular film, and that's just not true.

In this case, CC actually accuses Giacchino of being at fault for not using material from the original.. How is that even fair?


Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Mr. Jingle Jangles
(adsl-144-115-89.mia.bellsouth.net)
Profile Picture
  In Response to:
GeoScore

  Responses to this Comment:
Jack
Ah, daaamnn... Heelllll, naw again!   Thursday, December 9, 2010 (6:22 p.m.) 

> As I said previously, its the criticism of the style that bugs me. In the
> instance of the whole "Pirates vs. Cutthroat Island".. CC
> criticizes Pirates for not being Cutthroat Island.. He makes the statement
> that there's a TRUE way of scoring a particular film, and that's just not
> true.

TRUE is the wrong word. BETTER is the right word. PROVEN is another.

How about when Clemmensen compared Gladiator with Wagner? or 300 with Titus? Should he not mention plagiarism either?

> In this case, CC actually accuses Giacchino of being at fault for not
> using material from the original.. How is that even fair?

I didn't read that. He only thought that Soderqvist captured the romantic side better, which he did. Giacchino failed in that respect while Soderqvist did not. They were practicaly identical movies!



Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Jack
(74-60-173-209.clt.clearwire-wmx.n
et)
Profile Picture
  In Response to:
Mr. Jingle Jangles
He has a masters degree in COMMUNICATION!   Friday, December 10, 2010 (5:43 a.m.) 

> TRUE is the wrong word. BETTER is the right word. PROVEN is another.

> How about when Clemmensen compared Gladiator with Wagner? or 300 with
> Titus? Should he not mention plagiarism either?

> I didn't read that. He only thought that Soderqvist captured the romantic
> side better, which he did. Giacchino failed in that respect while
> Soderqvist did not. They were practicaly identical movies!

I'm unleashing Phil Davison.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMgyi57s-A4


Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


JBlough
<Send E-Mail>
(207-181-203-49.c3-0.hnc-ubr1.chi-
hnc.il.cable.rcn.com)
Profile Picture
  In Response to:
GeoScore
Re: That's absurd   Thursday, December 9, 2010 (9:43 p.m.) 

> As I said previously, its the criticism of the style that bugs me. In the
> instance of the whole "Pirates vs. Cutthroat Island".. CC
> criticizes Pirates for not being Cutthroat Island.. He makes the statement
> that there's a TRUE way of scoring a particular film, and that's just not
> true.

Cutthroat Island was probably the most swashbuckling score of the last 15 years. It's a solid point of comparison. Saying that something did it best doesn't mean the writer implies it is the only way to do it. I like Lord of the Rings the most, but do I want to hear every epic score sound just like that? No.

If you read the rest of the review, it also makes comparisons to Sinbad. The point was more that rousing orchestras make better pirate scores, not that Pirates had to copy the exact themes or styles from Cutthroat Island.

This is also silly because I can't think of a single individual who thinks Pirates 1 (or even Pirates 3, for that matter) is better than Cutthroat Island. It's not outrageous to say something is a better approach when it is.

Now you're getting angry at a reviewer for having an opinion, as opposed to just using comparisons. This has a very "Leave Britney alone!" feel to it.

> In this case, CC actually accuses Giacchino of being at fault for not
> using material from the original.. How is that even fair?

This review simply questions the shift from a lush, romantic score to a more typical, cold horror affair, which I think most people who have heard both scores question. It's "fair" (whatever that means) because it's a similar style of film...heck, it's a remake. It's the same question one would (and probably should) ask when sequel scores change themes/tone.

I don't think anyone wanted Giacchino to just rearrange Soderqvist's score. But his replacement approach was less satisfying, at least on album, and


Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Mr. Jingle Jangles
(adsl-144-115-89.mia.bellsouth.net)
Profile Picture
  In Response to:
GeoScore
Heelllll, naw!   Thursday, December 9, 2010 (6:16 p.m.) 

> 2) ...now that that's out of the way, there's an error in the review. The
> man with her was not her father, but rather her lover that grew into an
> old man.. yes the movie encourages pedophilia..

The guardian was masquerading as her likely father. Clemmensen made that point clear in the review. Read it again.

> 3) STOP MAKING COMPARISONS!!

> ..seriously CC... I enjoy your reviews..you've got a great writing
> style..but the more you compare one score to another (*cough* Pirates with
> Cutthroat Island for example *cough*), the less respect I have of your
> opinion. It's a different composer, a different take... Its one thing if
> you didn't enjoy it, but to say its bad because the original was better is
> a biased way to review.

The opposite. Clemmensen would be negligent if he did NOT compare Let Me In and Let the Right One In. The two movies are practically identical! He did his job as a journalist. It was a fair review, too.



Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display



Copyright © 1998-2017, Filmtracks Publications. All rights reserved.
The reviews and other textual content contained on the filmtracks.com site may not be published, broadcast,
rewritten or redistributed without the prior written authority of Christian Clemmensen at Filmtracks Publications. Scoreboard created 7/24/98 and last updated 4/25/15.