1. Captain Marvel
  4. Aquaman
 5. Spider-Man: Into Spider-Verse
6. Bumblebee
     5. How to Train Your Dragon
   7. First Man
 9. Justice League
Harry Potter is a surperior score

(12-223-195-207.client.insightBB.c
om)

Josh
J.Murrell
Helena
Harry Potter is a surperior score   Wednesday, March 5, 2003 (12:22 p.m.)

I love this score, it is excellent and full of life. But when it comes down to it Howard Shore could have done better. There are few tracks on this soundtrack that intrest me, Concerning Hobbits, The Black Rider, and The Bridge of Kazad Dum. Middle of the score is for lack of a better word, boring, beggining in flight to the ford and ending at the beggining of The Bridge of Kazad Dum, the score is not particularly memorable. And even the middle of The Bridge of Kazad dum is incredibly dull. Until it is finally saved by the Fellowship Theme. John William's work on Harry Potter was far more memorable and I will always cherish it far more than this score. But the thing that really kills this score, is Enya, her contrubution was terrible and makes me skip the council cue everytime. But even so this score won the Academy Award and Jipped Horner, and that is what relly infuriates me! P.S. all of you who love this score dont hate me I love it too!

Josh
(dsc03-oti-ca-5-92.rasserver.net)

Other
Narendur
Jenny
Re: Harry Potter is a surperior score   Wednesday, March 12, 2003 (5:33 p.m.)

I would have to agree with you on this. Harry Potter is ENJOYABLE past the first listen, which is more than I can say for Fellowship. However, I do favor some tracks. "Concerning Hobbits", "Flight to the Ford", "Many Meetings", and "The Breaking of the Fellowship" are all very, VERY good scores, and I will always love them, but I think, that after the first time through, LOTR was just too ... boring ... to listen to more than once. Sorry LOTR fans, I still ove it, and I think it AND Harry Potter should have won the Oscar, because it is still one of the greatest film scores of all time.

Other
(cache-db03.proxy.aol.com)

Josh

Geoff Morrow
Re: Harry Potter is a surperior score   Friday, March 21, 2003 (10:57 p.m.)

I hope I speak for most if not all of us fans... we don't hate you. I have just recently seen Harry Potter. I really like it. The movie seems to be a bit less realistic than LOTR, but yea, I liked it. I have to watch a movie that I like a bunch of times to see which one I like best. The one that I can stand to watch over and over without getting bored of it would have to be my favorite. Which is LOTR. I've seen it like a million times, and yet I've only watched Harry Potter 4 times. Though you have to remember that I did not see it when it first came out. I only saw it a week before TTT came out. So I'm always a little behind. BUt that's ok. Still, just to get the record straight... I LOVE THEM BOTH, they are BOTH great. So no one hate me either!

Geoff Morrow
(dialup-67.30.234.1.Dial1.Atlanta1
.Level3.net)

Other

Helena
Re: Harry Potter is a surperior score   Saturday, April 5, 2003 (9:35 a.m.)

> I hope I speak for most if not all of us fans... we don't hate you. I have
> just recently seen Harry Potter. I really like it. The movie seems to be a
> bit less realistic than LOTR, but yea, I liked it. I have to watch a movie
> that I like a bunch of times to see which one I like best. The one that I
> can stand to watch over and over without getting bored of it would have to
> be my favorite. Which is LOTR. I've seen it like a million times, and yet
> I've only watched Harry Potter 4 times. Though you have to remember that I
> did not see it when it first came out. I only saw it a week before TTT
> came out. So I'm always a little behind. BUt that's ok. Still, just to get
> the record straight... I LOVE THEM BOTH, they are BOTH great. So no one
> hate me either!

I too am another fan of both Harry Potter and LOTR. It was torn between both of these soundtracks last year. They were both so great! But since The Lord of the Rings was such a smash at the box office, it was bound to win something. The Lord of the Rings score has some powerful and emotionally gripping themes. When you listen to the soundtrack, you're taken back to middle earth. People love this kind of music, and I do as well, but not all of the time. This is where Harry Potter comes in. I've always been a huge John Williams fan, so I naturally wanted to see the movie right away. After seeing about the first few minutes of the movie, I knew that it was a hit with me. I absolutely loved everything about it! Both Harry Potter and LOTR had incredible, unforgetable scores, and I'll love them both forever. Was Harry Potter better than Lord of the Rings? Or is it the other way around? Who can say? I'm glad Howard Shore won an academy award. John Williams already has a few of his own. Very few composers recieve that high honor. It really doesn't matter anyhow! John Williams is still writing great music and will win another one within the next couple of years.

(12-222-158-77.client.insightbb.co
Geoff Morrow

Nilfalathiel Lessien (Lady Nilfalathiel previously)
Re: Harry Potter is a surperior score   Thursday, May 1, 2003 (7:02 p.m.)

> I too am another fan of both Harry Potter and LOTR. It was torn between
> both of these soundtracks last year. They were both so great! But since
> The Lord of the Rings was such a smash at the box office, it was bound to
> win something. The Lord of the Rings score has some powerful and
> emotionally gripping themes. When you listen to the soundtrack, you're
> taken back to middle earth. People love this kind of music, and I do as
> well, but not all of the time. This is where Harry Potter comes in. I've
> always been a huge John Williams fan, so I naturally wanted to see the
> movie right away. After seeing about the first few minutes of the movie, I
> knew that it was a hit with me. I absolutely loved everything about it!
> Both Harry Potter and LOTR had incredible, unforgetable scores, and I'll
> love them both forever. Was Harry Potter better than Lord of the Rings? Or
> is it the other way around? Who can say? I'm glad Howard Shore won an
> academy award. John Williams already has a few of his own. Very few
> composers recieve that high honor. It really doesn't matter anyhow! John
> Williams is still writing great music and will win another one within the
> next couple of years.
i agree to a point, I still think James Horner should have won for A Beautiful Mind!

Nilfalathiel Lessien (Lady Nilfalathiel previously)
(adsl-67-124-237-83.dsl.snfc21.pac
bell.net)

Amuro
Re: Harry Potter is a surperior score   Thursday, June 19, 2003 (8:00 p.m.)

Hmm, well I just have a couple things to say on this subject. By the way, yes I was the immature-ish Lady Nilfalathiel going on about flute sheet music, which I haven't yet succeeded in finding. I've grown a great deal more mature since then, due to various heartbreaks and bouts of depression. Since then, I've taken up writing

1. Bringing up "A Beautiful Mind" perhaps isn't the best course of action, as I was absolutely enraged (and still am) in my LotR-obsessed state that it won "Best Picture" Unless you would like an army of people against you, you might want to rethink that.

2. I'm not 100% sure, but I believe someone else sang at the end of "The Bridge of Khazad-Dum" Please correct me if I am mistaken.

3. Each theme of each race really corresponded well. With the Hobbits, a simple and playful Celtic tune played visions of bright spring fields and freshly worked earth. In the various Elven themes, Lothlorien especially, bittersweetness echoed in the haunting and ethereal melodies. The bittersweetness of leaving something familiar, but knowing you'll be going off to a better place ("We still remember, we who dwell in this far land beneath the trees, thy starlight on the Western Seas" - Elven Hymn to Elbereth - sense the bittersweet presence?) The theme of Mordor is rustic and harsh, clearly sounding out the temperments of the dark forces. Everything is so woven that you can feel and envision the scenes flashing before your mind. You can tell what is happening. It makes the feelings and emotions so ...tangible.

Well, I'm sorry about ranting. I just get really emotional talking about Elves. I just can't shake of the incredible sadness.

The soundtrack to Harry Potter is enchanting in it's own way, but in my opinion, it doesn't compare to the majesty of The Lord of the Rings. It's grand and beautiful in such a way. Of course, I can be somewhat biased. Namaarie!

~Nilfalathiel

(toronto-hse-ppp3826778.sympatico.
ca)

Geoff Morrow

kurt
Re: Harry Potter is a surperior score   Friday, May 23, 2003 (8:14 p.m.)

> I too am another fan of both Harry Potter and LOTR. It was torn between
> both of these soundtracks last year. They were both so great! But since
> The Lord of the Rings was such a smash at the box office, it was bound to
> win something. The Lord of the Rings score has some powerful and
> emotionally gripping themes. When you listen to the soundtrack, you're
> taken back to middle earth. People love this kind of music, and I do as
> well, but not all of the time. This is where Harry Potter comes in. I've
> always been a huge John Williams fan, so I naturally wanted to see the
> movie right away. After seeing about the first few minutes of the movie, I
> knew that it was a hit with me. I absolutely loved everything about it!
> Both Harry Potter and LOTR had incredible, unforgetable scores, and I'll
> love them both forever. Was Harry Potter better than Lord of the Rings? Or
> is it the other way around? Who can say? I'm glad Howard Shore won an
> academy award. John Williams already has a few of his own. Very few
> composers recieve that high honor. It really doesn't matter anyhow! John
> Williams is still writing great music and will win another one within the
> next couple of years.

I agree the Harry Potter and LOTR both have great scores, but the difference between them is that, while the HP film music has one or two excellent themes, the Lord of The Rings is superior in the sense that it has at least five or six. The orchestrations were equally good for both, but again I emphasize that what makes LOTR magnificent and HP just good are the recurring themes throughout the scores. When you listen to the Fellowship soundtrack, you realize that each tune has its own character, and the genius behind them is that whenever you hear an individual theme (take, for example the Lothlorien or Fellowship themes) you are reminded instantly of the characters/locations they represent. The themes are suited so well for the intended characters/locations that you cannot help being blown away by the sheer brilliance (not to mention scale) of the Fellowship score. I'm not saying HP doesn't do this too, I'm simply stating that this time aroung Howard Shore did a superior job.

(12-222-158-77.client.insightbb.co

Helena
Re: Harry Potter is a surperior score   Saturday, May 24, 2003 (9:07 p.m.)

> I agree the Harry Potter and LOTR both have great scores, but the
> difference between them is that, while the HP film music has one or two
> excellent themes, the Lord of The Rings is superior in the sense that it
> has at least five or six. The orchestrations were equally good for both,
> but again I emphasize that what makes LOTR magnificent and HP just good
> are the recurring themes throughout the scores. When you listen to the
> Fellowship soundtrack, you realize that each tune has its own character,
> and the genius behind them is that whenever you hear an individual theme
> (take, for example the Lothlorien or Fellowship themes) you are reminded
> instantly of the characters/locations they represent. The themes are
> suited so well for the intended characters/locations that you cannot help
> being blown away by the sheer brilliance (not to mention scale) of the
> Fellowship score. I'm not saying HP doesn't do this too, I'm simply
> stating that this time aroung Howard Shore did a superior job.
I have found at least nine different themes in Harry Potter, all of them are surperior in every way to the themes of LOTR (in my opinion). I'm sorry but I don't think Shore a job anywhere near Williams!

(toronto-hse-ppp3826718.sympatico.
ca)

Amuro
Re: Harry Potter is a surperior score   Sunday, May 25, 2003 (8:16 a.m.)

I have found at least nine different themes in Harry Potter, all of them
> are surperior in every way to the themes of LOTR (in my opinion). I'm
> sorry but I don't think Shore a job anywhere near Williams!
You may have found at least nine istening to the soundtrack were you can listen to songs over and over again, but in the film only about three are clearly evident to the average moviegoer. As presented in the film, more themes in LOTR are definitely more indentificable with the locations/characters they represent. I recognize that each person has their own opinion; don't yell at me if we disagree(I'm not saying anyone has yey. This is just a message for anyone who might feel inclined to do so in the future)!

(12-222-158-77.client.insightbb.co

Helena
Re: Harry Potter is a surperior score   Thursday, May 29, 2003 (5:40 p.m.)

> I have found at least nine different themes in Harry Potter, all of them
You may have found at least nine istening to the soundtrack were you
> can listen to songs over and over again, but in the film only about three
> are clearly evident to the average moviegoer. As presented in the film,
> more themes in LOTR are definitely more indentificable with the
> locations/characters they represent. I recognize that each person has
> their own opinion; don't yell at me if we disagree(I'm not saying anyone
> has yey. This is just a message for anyone who might feel inclined to do
> so in the future)!
I checked the movie... all nine themes that I found are clearly evident in the film (I'm only counting the sorcerors stone too).

(hse-montreal-ppp135900.qc.sympati
co.ca)

Amuro
Re: Harry Potter is a surperior score   Monday, June 9, 2003 (10:44 a.m.)

You may have found at least nine istening to the soundtrack were you
I
> checked the movie... all nine themes that I found are clearly evident in
> the film (I'm only counting the sorcerors stone too).

That's because when you checked the movie you were probably concentrating on the music, trying to pick out the themes. The average person who wasn't trying to do that (e.g not you) most likely would'nt have heard the nine themes you claim were 'clearly evident' in the film. I saw HP 1 again today and they weren't obvious to me.

(12-222-158-77.client.insightbb.co
Helena
Re: Harry Potter is a surperior score   Monday, June 9, 2003 (5:14 p.m.)

> You may have found at least nine istening to the soundtrack were you
I

> That's because when you checked the movie you were probably concentrating
> on the music, trying to pick out the themes. The average person who wasn't
> trying to do that (e.g not you) most likely would'nt have heard the nine
> themes you claim were 'clearly evident' in the film. I saw HP 1 again
> today and they weren't obvious to me.

I've caught my sister (who hates this music) who has never listened to the score humming all nine of them before so maybe your just not watching it as much as my sis and I.

kurt
(user-38lc6fu.dialup.mindspring.co

Helena
Well, actually...   Wednesday, September 10, 2003 (10:30 a.m.)

lord of the rings is a "technically" superior score, as it uses the music to blend in certain storylines together, and the characters growth or decay.

harry potter does this, although to a lesser extent.

lotr has these themes:

dwarrowdelf theme
journey motif
danger motif
hobbit/shire theme
frodo's theme
ringwraith theme
sauron's theme
gollum's theme
gollums cimbalon motif from the two towers,
the ring seduction theme
eowyn's theme
the white rider theme
shadowfax's theme
nature/forlorn hope theme
friendship theme
treebeard's theme
rohan battle theme (the call)
gandalf the white's theme

(and these are just the ones i know from the first two movies)

harry potter has these:

Errol’s Theme
Dark Forest Theme
Christmas at Hogwarts
Feasting at Hogwarts
Magical Wonder Theme
Strange Connections

while both have a similar amount of themes, lotr has themes that can be twisted and mutated to be more evil or light, while potters themes change to express wonder or danger, and similar ideas. the connective music in lotrknits he themes together, and the themes are used more often.

in john willimas-type terms, lotr is like star wars, while hp is like indiana jones. (not musically, but how the themes are usually used.) and i don't think anybody would say ij is better than star wars.

Narendur
(2.vauban.fr.studentenwohnheim-bw.
de)
Josh
I am delighted to disagree with you.   Saturday, May 10, 2003 (2:35 p.m.)

> I would have to agree with you on this. Harry Potter is ENJOYABLE past the
> first listen, which is more than I can say for Fellowship. However, I do
> favor some tracks. "Concerning Hobbits", "Flight to the
> Ford", "Many Meetings", and "The Breaking of the
> Fellowship" are all very, VERY good scores, and I will always love
> them, but I think, that after the first time through, LOTR was just too
> ... boring ... to listen to more than once. Sorry LOTR fans, I still ove
> it, and I think it AND Harry Potter should have won the Oscar, because it
> is still one of the greatest film scores of all time.

Excuse me?

N^

Jenny
(proxy.tx.shawcable.net)

Josh

KB
Re: Harry Potter is a surperior score   Monday, June 16, 2003 (11:30 a.m.)

> I would have to agree with you on this. Harry Potter is ENJOYABLE past the
> first listen, which is more than I can say for Fellowship. However, I do
> favor some tracks. "Concerning Hobbits", "Flight to the
> Ford", "Many Meetings", and "The Breaking of the
> Fellowship" are all very, VERY good scores, and I will always love
> them, but I think, that after the first time through, LOTR was just too
> ... boring ... to listen to more than once. Sorry LOTR fans, I still ove
> it, and I think it AND Harry Potter should have won the Oscar, because it
> is still one of the greatest film scores of all time.
Up until now i have always complimented people for their opinion but I have one thing to say. WHAT'S THE MATTER WITH YOU???? Yes Harry Potter wa enjoyable and yes LOTR was long but the score for LOTR is by all means a superior score. need I remind you who won best original score at the 2002 oscars? LOTR

(12-222-158-77.client.insightbb.co
Jenny
Re: Harry Potter is a surperior score   Monday, June 16, 2003 (8:14 p.m.)

Up until now i have always complimented people for their opinion but I have
> one thing to say. WHAT'S THE MATTER WITH YOU???? Yes Harry Potter wa
> enjoyable and yes LOTR was long but the score for LOTR is by all means a
> superior score. need I remind you who won best original score at the 2002
> oscars? LOTR

Listen, I respect that you think LOTR is a surperior score. But that IS NOT fact! I prefer Harry Potter I think it's a wonderful score filled with incredible themes. I think the same for LOTR but I think that the themes for HP are far more memorable, LOTR's themes are excellent, however, the themes are not nearly as memorable. Listen to the scores in their respective films, the Harry Potter score fits the film far better. I think that Harry Potter is a FAR surperior score in every way. LOTR didn't deserve the Oscar for Best Original Score, neither did Harry Potter, A Beautiful Mind did.

KB
(hhg02.chem.ed.ac.uk)

Jenny
Re: Harry Potter is a surperior score   Tuesday, June 17, 2003 (5:37 a.m.)

Harry Potter is not anywhere near in the same class!!
Neither books, films or music.

J.Murrell
(adsl-65-69-49-19.dsl.stlsmo.swbel
l.net)

Amuro
Re: Harry Potter is a surperior score   Friday, April 18, 2003 (4:06 p.m.)

You just don't understand. You have to listen and get lost in the music to understand.

> I love this score, it is excellent and full of life. But when it comes
> terrible and makes me skip the council cue everytime. But even so this
> score won the Academy Award and Jipped Horner, and that is what relly
> infuriates me! P.S. all of you who love this score dont hate me I love it
> too!

(12-222-158-77.client.insightbb.co
J.Murrell
Re: Harry Potter is a surperior score   Saturday, April 19, 2003 (8:43 a.m.)

> You just don't understand. You have to listen and get lost in the music
> to understand.
What? I don't understand what your saying, I don't understand, what?

(toronto-hse-ppp3826718.sympatico.
ca)

Zephyr
Re: Harry Potter is a surperior score   Sunday, May 25, 2003 (8:27 a.m.)

> I love this score, it is excellent and full of life. But when it comes
> down to it Howard Shore could have done better. There are few tracks on
> this soundtrack that intrest me, Concerning Hobbits, The Black Rider, and
> The Bridge of Kazad Dum. Middle of the score is for lack of a better word,
> boring, beggining in flight to the ford and ending at the beggining of The
> Bridge of Kazad Dum, the score is not particularly memorable. And even the
> middle of The Bridge of Kazad dum is incredibly dull. Until it is finally
> saved by the Fellowship Theme. John William's work on Harry Potter was far
> more memorable and I will always cherish it far more than this score. But
> the thing that really kills this score, is Enya, her contrubution was
> terrible and makes me skip the council cue everytime. But even so this
> score won the Academy Award and Jipped Horner, and that is what relly
> infuriates me! P.S. all of you who love this score dont hate me I love it
> too!
I thought Enya was wonderful here! Her love theme for Arwen and Aragorn was perfect. Her voice is clear and has a beautiful sound, and the tune is completely fitted to the situation! Also her vocals at the end of the Bridge of Khazad Dum track were moving and fantastically sung.

Zephyr
(dialup-161.166.220.203.acc01-neer
-bal.comindico.com.au)

Helena
Re: Harry Potter is a surperior score   Monday, June 23, 2003 (6:52 a.m.)

Also her vocals at the end of the
> Bridge of Khazad Dum track were moving and fantastically sung.

Actually, the vocals sung at the end of Khazad-Dum and The Breaking Of The Fellowship are sung by a boy's choir. I can't remember exactly which choir, but it is a solo boy singing in Khazad-Dum, not Enya.

Copyright © 1998-2019, Filmtracks Publications. All rights reserved.