SUPPORT FILMTRACKS! CLICK HERE FIRST:
Amazon.com
Amazon.co.uk
iTunes (U.S.)
Amazon.ca
Amazon.fr
eBay (U.S.)
Amazon.de
Amazon.es
Half.com
Glisten Effect
Editorial Reviews
Scoreboard Forum
Viewer Ratings
Composers
Awards
   NEWEST MAJOR REVIEWS:
     1. Venom
    2. House With a Clock/Walls
   3. The Nun
  4. Crazy Rich Asians
 5. The Meg
6. Christopher Robin
   CURRENT MOST POPULAR REVIEWS:
         1. Edward Scissorhands
        2. Jurassic World: Kingdom
       3. Batman
      4. The Predator
     5. Gladiator
    6. Mission: Impossible - Fallout
   7. Solo: A Star Wars Story
  8. Apollo 13
 9. Ant-Man and the Wasp
10. The Equalizer 2
Home Page
Menu Options ▼
Comments about the soundtrack for Matchstick Men (Hans Zimmer)
One question, Christian

Nate U
<Send E-Mail>
(ce2-o-msln.msln.net)
Profile Picture

  Responses to this Comment:
Levente Benedek
Christian Clemmensen
One question, Christian   Wednesday, October 29, 2003 (6:58 a.m.) 

Nice review. There is one part however where you seem to contradict yourself...

"The score can get on your nerves, however. Unless you specifically seek the score for its specific atmosphere, its happy-go-lucky spirit and similarly themed songs could test your patience. There is only so much of that zippy, light-hearted comedy writing from the 50's that a person can tolerate before fearing that you'll get one of those false 50's-era smiles plastered permanently on your face."

You seem to be complaining of a lack of variety in the score, that the "happy-go-lucky" light hearted spirit of the score gets tiresome. But then here later in the paragraph...

"Only one Zimmer score cue is remarkably out of place; the techno-laced "Tuna Fish and Cigarettes" cue (a coming of age burst of reality) is an abrasive shot into the musical future and does not fit with the surrounding Rota-like score."

Now you criticize a cue which in fact is NOT of the patience-testing happy 50s music, BECAUSE you say it doesn't fit with the rest of the score. Isn't that the variety you were looking for?

Would you care to explain yourself? The rest of the review was fine, I'm just wondering.

Thanks.

N8

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Levente Benedek
<Send E-Mail>
(dial058109.vnet.hu)

  In Response to:
Nate U

  Responses to this Comment:
Christian Clemmensen
Re: One question, Christian   Wednesday, October 29, 2003 (9:42 a.m.) 

> Nice review. There is one part however where you seem to contradict
> yourself...

> "The score can get on your nerves, however. Unless you
> specifically seek the score for its specific atmosphere, its
> happy-go-lucky spirit and similarly themed songs could test your patience.
> There is only so much of that zippy, light-hearted comedy writing from the
> 50's that a person can tolerate before fearing that you'll get one of
> those false 50's-era smiles plastered permanently on your face."

> You seem to be complaining of a lack of variety in the score, that the
> "happy-go-lucky" light hearted spirit of the score gets
> tiresome. But then here later in the paragraph...

> "Only one Zimmer score cue is remarkably out of place; the
> techno-laced "Tuna Fish and Cigarettes" cue (a coming of age
> burst of reality) is an abrasive shot into the musical future and does not
> fit with the surrounding Rota-like score."

> Now you criticize a cue which in fact is NOT of the patience-testing happy
> 50s music, BECAUSE you say it doesn't fit with the rest of the score.
> Isn't that the variety you were looking for?

> Would you care to explain yourself? The rest of the review was fine, I'm
> just wondering.

> Thanks.

> N8

I agree with you totaly. But I don't think Clemensen would read this message, try to send to his e-mail adress. I'm also curious, about his answer.

Levente

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Christian Clemmensen
<Send E-Mail>
(bushisamonkey.filmtracks.com)
Profile Picture
  In Response to:
Levente Benedek

  Responses to this Comment:
byro
Re: One question, Christian   Wednesday, October 29, 2003 (6:20 p.m.) 

> But I don't think Clemensen would read this message, try to send to his e-mail adress.

I read most of the comments. There's just not enough time to respond to all of them.



Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


byro
(m238-mp1.cvx1-a.cdf.dial.ntli.net)

  In Response to:
Christian Clemmensen
Re: One question, Christian   Thursday, October 30, 2003 (2:17 a.m.) 

> I read most of the comments. There's just not enough time to respond to
> all of them.

I'm sorry if it sounds like I've joined the wailing bunch who have nothing better to do than say you bash "all" Zimmer scores, which you clearly do not.

However, I am still very puzzled as to why you make such a big deal over the "getting on you nerves/listenablity" of the score, when you don't let this factor affect the overall rating for many others (I know I keep referring to "Jaws" but it's a clear example of a lack of continuity, and surely even you'd rather spend an afternoon listening to a quirky Matchstick Men score than a load of choppy strings trying tos care the out of you?)


Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Christian Clemmensen
<Send E-Mail>
(bushisamonkey.filmtracks.com)
Profile Picture
  In Response to:
Nate U

  Responses to this Comment:
Nate U
Re: One question, Christian   Wednesday, October 29, 2003 (6:18 p.m.) 

> "The score can get on your nerves, however. Unless you
> specifically seek the score for its specific atmosphere, its
> happy-go-lucky spirit and similarly themed songs could test your patience.
> There is only so much of that zippy, light-hearted comedy writing from the
> 50's that a person can tolerate before fearing that you'll get one of
> those false 50's-era smiles plastered permanently on your face."

> You seem to be complaining of a lack of variety in the score, that the
> "happy-go-lucky" light hearted spirit of the score gets
> tiresome. But then here later in the paragraph...

The latter part, yes. But not the lack of variety. The final cue, as well as the source cues and that techno cue do vary it a bit. Still, the amount of 50's swing can be significant enough to get on the nerves.

> "Only one Zimmer score cue is remarkably out of place; the
> techno-laced "Tuna Fish and Cigarettes" cue (a coming of age
> burst of reality) is an abrasive shot into the musical future and does not
> fit with the surrounding Rota-like score."

> Now you criticize a cue which in fact is NOT of the patience-testing happy
> 50s music, BECAUSE you say it doesn't fit with the rest of the score.
> Isn't that the variety you were looking for?

There were songs that didn't fit, either, but that doesn't excuse the 50's style from potentially getting on the nerves.

On a side note: given the right mood, it might not get on the nerves at all.

> Would you care to explain yourself? The rest of the review was fine, I'm
> just wondering.

I could be in left field on this one... but I didn't see the contradiction. One part critiques the listenability of one section of the score, while the other part critics another cue for not fitting in with the rest of it.

Christian



Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Nate U
<Send E-Mail>
(pool-64-222-224-239.port.east.ver
izon.net)
Profile Picture
  In Response to:
Christian Clemmensen
Re: One question, Christian   Saturday, November 1, 2003 (12:51 p.m.) 

> The latter part, yes. But not the lack of variety. The final cue, as well
> as the source cues and that techno cue do vary it a bit. Still, the amount
> of 50's swing can be significant enough to get on the nerves.

Well, my reply to this would be there are a few other cues I certainly wouldn't call "50s swing" on the album, like Ichni-Si-San (or whatever it is) "Weird is Good" "Pool lights" "Pygmies" etc. But hey, whatever gets on your nerves gets on your nerves.

> On a side note: given the right mood, it might not get on the nerves at
> all.

Yeah, with a score like Matstick Men you gotta have just the right time/mood to play it and enjoy best. Driving around town I find is a lot of fun.

> I could be in left field on this one... but I didn't see the
> contradiction. One part critiques the listenability of one section of the
> score, while the other part critics another cue for not fitting in with
> the rest of it.

You didn't make it very clear to me that the first part of the paragraph was only talking about one section of the score. I thought you meant the whole CD...

But whatever Thanks for the reply.

N8

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display



Copyright © 1998-2018, Filmtracks Publications. All rights reserved.
The reviews and other textual content contained on the filmtracks.com site may not be published, broadcast,
rewritten or redistributed without the prior written authority of Christian Clemmensen at Filmtracks Publications. Scoreboard created 7/24/98 and last updated 4/25/15.