SUPPORT FILMTRACKS! CLICK HERE FIRST:
Amazon.com
Amazon.co.uk
iTunes (U.S.)
Amazon.ca
Amazon.fr
eBay (U.S.)
Amazon.de
Amazon.es
Half.com
Glisten Effect
Editorial Reviews
Scoreboard Forum
Viewer Ratings
Composers
Awards
   NEWEST MAJOR REVIEWS:
     1. Incredibles 2
    2. Solo: A Star Wars Story
   3. Deadpool 2
  4. Avengers: Infinity War
 5. A Quiet Place
6. Ready Player One
   CURRENT MOST POPULAR REVIEWS:
         1. Star Wars: The Last Jedi
        2. Gladiator
       3. Blade Runner 2049
      4. Batman
     5. Thor: Ragnarok
    6. The Avengers
   7. Spider-Man: Homecoming
  8. Avatar
 9. Dunkirk
10. Phantom Thread
Home Page
Menu Options ▼
Comments about the soundtrack for Minority Report (John Williams)

Edit | Delete
Re: A small overlook to Williams's last 3 Scores
• Posted by: Spianman   <Send E-Mail>
• Date: Thursday, March 6, 2003, at 6:10 a.m.
• IP Address: 20.5-200-80.adsl.skynet.be
• In Response to: A small overlook to Williams's last 3 Scores (iBug)

I think you're mistaking concerning the part "Minority Report" in your "speech".. You say that MR has no such themes like HP or SWE2. I think you're wrong, very wrong; Mr does have themes: for me there is a main theme and that's the theme you here in track 3: the theme from the the precrime departement; then another theme is sean's theme, and that's just like the theme in A.I. from the mother of the (artifficial) child (don't remember the name, sorry...) Well I think that Minority is a very fine score, my only point is that williams still uses the same action motifs (tracks 3 in MR, track 11 in Hp, track 12 in Lost world..) AND HE HAS TO STOP DOING THAT!!!

Greetingzz Spianoman

> I didn't watch Minority Report yet but I listened to the score and I must
> say that I'm not impressed with the last efforts of Williams.
After
> A.I. which was the last time I liked a Williams score really much we had
> Harry Potter, Episode 2 and Minority Report.
I won't write everything
> in detail since I wrote so many comments on the first 2 but what I want to
> emphasize is that Williams is slowly fading away to the storytelling and
> storytelling only. Spielberg clearly writes out in every CD booklet that
> Williams is the best musical storyteller of all time and I think he's
> right. Williams tells the story every time with notes and sounds. But the
> problem is in these 3 scores he doesn't go further than telling the story
> for me. Harry Potter has a nice theme, Star Wars has a great theme but the
> general sound of the scores is not really fun to listen. Especially think
> of Star Wars, except Across The Stars suite there is no track which I
> listen and really feel something. Also in Harry Potter, Harry's Wondrous
> World track is a really good suite and has beautiful music and the concert
> suite at the end combines several themes and makes a nice track to listen
> but the other tracks are even entertaining are just telling some story,
> they don't make sense without the pictures in my mind. The Quidditch track
> for example, when I put the DVD and put the CD and synchronize both I have
> a nice 6 minutes. Since I know the scene and every small movement-action
> in the scene I have fun when listening to the track, also for the chess
> game track, it has some entertaining percussion with some tension in it,
> with the film great, listening is also fun but the fun comes mostly
> because I like the action in the scene and I like the usage of the music
> to make that action stronger and those make me like the music. Take
> Episode 2, take the 3 action tracks Zam Chase, Jango's Escape and the
> Arena, everyone of them contain the same kind of music as I mentioned
> before, fun to listen especially the Zame Chase, it has some incredible
> percussion use and really nice tempo and some unique sounds for a Williams
> score but not enough. Definitely not enough. Then I listen to Minority
> Report, it has no remarkable theme like Episode 2 or Potter. The only
> interesting tracks are 8,9 and 10 except the end titles or the opening
> suite. Track 10 is a strong action cue but it's exactly the same type of
> music as the Zam Chase or Quidditch Match. Fast tempo, nice percussion,
> nice brass, nice vibraphone but still something is missing. I think the
> only great track in Minority Report is track 8. It's really something new
> for me, great string work and as harmonically it's quite complex and as a
> track it's complete because it is not cut to parts with some slow
> passages, it begins, it gets stronger and it resolves. The only flaw is
> that it's too short.

> I'm not finding these scores quite impressive because that something which
> is missing from all of them used to be in every Williams score before.
> When I think of E.T. finale or Close Encounters finale or Superman, those
> scores went far more than storytelling. They greatly told the story but
> they were also great music without the story. I just don't want to hear
> any brass going to higher tones because Anderton is flying higher, I want
> to hear more melody, more harmony in the music. The action cues are based
> on only orchestration, maybe that's why Williams recommends Don Davis to
> make JP 3 score, Davis is a great orchestrator and for JP 3 with the
> original themes the only thing the movie needed is orchestration like
> Williams did for the first 2, even not as successful as the first 2
> scores. A.I. and Patriot were the last Williams scores which had melody in
> almost every track. I hope we will see more old type Williams music in
> Indiana Jones 4 and Episode 3 because I miss that music.




Comments in this Thread:     Expand >>


Copyright © 1998-2018, Filmtracks Publications. All rights reserved.
The reviews and other textual content contained on the filmtracks.com site may not be published, broadcast,
rewritten or redistributed without the prior written authority of Christian Clemmensen at Filmtracks Publications. Scoreboard created 7/24/98 and last updated 4/25/15.