SUPPORT FILMTRACKS! CLICK HERE FIRST:
Amazon.com
Amazon.co.uk
iTunes (U.S.)
Amazon.ca
Amazon.fr
eBay (U.S.)
Amazon.de
Amazon.es
Half.com
Glisten Effect
Editorial Reviews
Scoreboard Forum
Viewer Ratings
Composers
Awards
   CURRENT MOST POPULAR REVIEWS:
         1. Solo: A Star Wars Story
        2. Batman
       3. Jurassic World: Kingdom
      4. The Predator
     5. Edward Scissorhands
    6. Mission: Impossible - Fallout
   7. Christopher Robin
  8. Apollo 13
 9. Ant-Man and the Wasp
10. The Equalizer 2
Home Page
Menu Options ▼
Comments about the soundtrack for Minority Report (John Williams)

Edit | Delete
Re: MR sounds like a mixture of the latest JW scores...and nobody cares!
• Posted by: fontinau   <Send E-Mail>
• Date: Tuesday, June 18, 2002, at 5:50 p.m.
• IP Address: cache-1.sbo.ma.webcache.rcn.net
• In Response to: Re: MR sounds like a mixture of the latest JW ... (Harry Potter)

> Try listening to the Harry Potter soundtrack sometime. The main theme
> is lifted directly from Schindler's List (of all things!).

> How can you say this? The two sound nothing alike! Listen to Hedwig's
> Theme and the Theme from Schindler's List, and then come back and talk.

I can say it because it is true. The opening violin piece in Schidler's List, and the theme that pervades the Harry Potter (including Hedwig's Theme) may use different rythm and orchestration, but even one hearing of the two themes will show that, note-for-note, they are practically identical. This wouldn't be too big an issue if it weren't for Williams beating us over the head with said thme every two minutes during the entire Harry Potter soundtrack.

True, Williams does still develope the theme differently in the two soundtracks, and for that I give him credit. (For more instances of self-plagarism in the Harry Potter score, visit the review on this site.)

> Also, the Phantom Menace score took some passages from Jurassic Park,
> but that's a minor quibble.

> Where specifically?

Beginning of track 10 (Passage Through the Planet Core). Oh, and since your asking for specifics, try listening to the themes from the Patriot and Amistad some time. They're copies of one another too.

> Williams is becoming like Horner in that he is walking down the same
> self-plagiarizing path that Horner has been on since the early 90s.

> Where is your evidence? How can you make a base claim and not support it?

I pretty much listed my evidence, didn;t I? I cite a number of recent scores where Williams has ripped off him own themes. This makes him like Horner in the respect that Horner is infamous for self-plagiarism. I don't think it's possible to give any evidence beyond the music (unless of course you took my comment literally, and are expecting film footage of John Williams' beard falling out, his hair regaining color, and his face twisting into James Horner's visage).

Also, I resent having my opinion being called a "base claim". I don't criticize you for worshipping John Williams, so you have no right to criticize me for voicing my opinions about his music.




Comments in this Thread:     Expand >>


Copyright © 1998-2019, Filmtracks Publications. All rights reserved.
The reviews and other textual content contained on the filmtracks.com site may not be published, broadcast,
rewritten or redistributed without the prior written authority of Christian Clemmensen at Filmtracks Publications. Scoreboard created 7/24/98 and last updated 4/25/15.