SUPPORT FILMTRACKS! CLICK HERE FIRST:
Amazon.com
Amazon.co.uk
iTunes (U.S.)
Amazon.ca
Amazon.fr
eBay (U.S.)
Amazon.de
Amazon.es
Half.com
Glisten Effect
Editorial Reviews
Scoreboard Forum
Viewer Ratings
Composers
Awards
   NEWEST MAJOR REVIEWS:
     1. Halloween
    2. Venom
   3. House With a Clock/Walls
  4. The Nun
 5. Crazy Rich Asians
6. The Meg
   CURRENT MOST POPULAR REVIEWS:
         1. Solo: A Star Wars Story
        2. Batman
       3. Jurassic World: Kingdom
      4. The Predator
     5. Edward Scissorhands
    6. Mission: Impossible - Fallout
   7. Christopher Robin
  8. Apollo 13
 9. Ant-Man and the Wasp
10. The Equalizer 2
Home Page
Menu Options ▼
Comments about the soundtrack for The Mummy Returns (Alan Silvestri)
Rick's Theme

Don Smith
<Send E-Mail>
(spider-tq053.proxy.aol.com)


  Responses to this Comment:
Dave Kallaur
Bobb
Treguard
oriane SAUZEDDE
Rick's Theme   Thursday, May 3, 2001 (1:47 p.m.) 

I am a huge fan of Mr. Silvestri's work, going back to the days of Back To The Future(which just happens to be on my Top Ten Themes of All Times list) and his amazing The Abyss. But I am, however, disapointed that he took over in the position if scoring for Mr. Goldsmith, who did a great job for The Mummy in 99. I haven't bought the score yet (not even sure if I'll go see the movie because they have the stupid wrestler in it), but I would like to try the score sice it got a better review than Goldsmith's The Mummy.

Before I do, can anyone tell me if Rick O'Connol's(forgive my spelling) theme from the orginal score will still be in The Mummy Returns? It's first herd in full in track 5 of The Mummy. It's such a cool theme and I hope Mr. Silverstri has brought it back from the grave!

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Dave Kallaur
<Send E-Mail>
(cc985426-a.sumt1.nj.home.com)

  In Response to:
Don Smith
Re: Rick's Theme   Thursday, May 3, 2001 (2:01 p.m.) 

> Before I do, can anyone tell me if Rick O'Connol's(forgive my spelling)
> theme from the orginal score will still be in The Mummy Returns? It's
> first herd in full in track 5 of The Mummy. It's such a cool theme and I
> hope Mr. Silverstri has brought it back from the grave!

Silvestri does not use any of Goldsmith's themes, at least not intentionally.
While Rick's theme from Goldsmith's effort is a good theme, Silvestri's Rick/action theme definitely holds its own. Both are good examples of over-the-top heroism, which is most definitely called for in the films. I was impressed with Silvestri's take on Rick's theme; it is a little reminiscent of Back to the Future.


Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Bobb
(proxy.atl.netsetter.com)

  In Response to:
Don Smith

  Responses to this Comment:
Andrew
Stephanie
Re: Rick's Theme   Thursday, May 3, 2001 (7:09 p.m.) 

> I am a huge fan of Mr. Silvestri's work, going back to the days of Back To
> The Future(which just happens to be on my Top Ten Themes of All Times
> list) and his amazing The Abyss. But I am, however, disapointed that he
> took over in the position if scoring for Mr. Goldsmith, who did a great
> job for The Mummy in 99. I haven't bought the score yet (not even sure if
> I'll go see the movie because they have the stupid wrestler in it), but I
> would like to try the score sice it got a better review than Goldsmith's
> The Mummy.

> Before I do, can anyone tell me if Rick O'Connol's(forgive my spelling)
> theme from the orginal score will still be in The Mummy Returns? It's
> first herd in full in track 5 of The Mummy. It's such a cool theme and I
> hope Mr. Silverstri has brought it back from the grave!

Well I am very happy Alan Silvestri scored The Mummy Returns and the way he composed it.Please don`t pick on The Rock.No matter if the six foot five,275 pound man is wrestler or not he is very good in TMR or atleast I think so in MY opinion.He plays such a major villian and role in in the film.You may not think so but that is your opinion.

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Andrew
<Send E-Mail>
(1cust79.tnt3.everett.wa.da.uu.net)

  In Response to:
Bobb

  Responses to this Comment:
Bobb
Re: Rick's Theme   Saturday, May 5, 2001 (4:50 p.m.) 

Alright you OBVIOUSLY havent seen the movie, the Rock doesnt not play a huge rold in the movie in any way at all. He is the damned thing for a total of 2 minutes. How is that a major role. They only reason they used him was for more results in the box office. Dont let the fact that the Rock is in the movie stop you from seeing it.

> Well I am very happy Alan Silvestri scored The Mummy Returns and the way
> he composed it.Please don`t pick on The Rock.No matter if the six foot
> five,275 pound man is wrestler or not he is very good in TMR or atleast I
> think so in MY opinion.He plays such a major villian and role in in the
> film.You may not think so but that is your opinion.


Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Bobb
(proxy.sjc.netsetter.com)

  In Response to:
Andrew
Re: Rick's Theme   Thursday, May 10, 2001 (9:30 p.m.) 

> Alright you OBVIOUSLY havent seen the movie, the Rock doesnt not play a
> huge rold in the movie in any way at all. He is the damned thing for a
> total of 2 minutes. How is that a major role. They only reason they used
> him was for more results in the box office. Dont let the fact that the
> Rock is in the movie stop you from seeing it.

Yes I have seen it,maybe your right about that.I thought it was just neat to have a new cool bad guy in it.

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Stephanie
<Send E-Mail>
(65.88.94.194.broadwing.net)

  In Response to:
Bobb
Re: Rick's Theme   Sunday, May 6, 2001 (12:07 p.m.) 

> Well I am very happy Alan Silvestri scored The Mummy Returns and the way
> he composed it.Please don`t pick on The Rock.No matter if the six foot
> five,275 pound man is wrestler or not he is very good in TMR or atleast I
> think so in MY opinion.He plays such a major villian and role in in the
> film.You may not think so but that is your opinion.

Well, I really don't see what the big brew-ha-ha is about The Rock being in TMR. I read a review of the movie today in my local paper, which stated that the real purpose of the movie was the prove that The Rock will be next summer's big action hero. WHATEVER! The man never even uttered a coherent word in the movie and got maybe seven minutes total screen time--and half of that was his CG face and nothing more! All he did was slice and dice and look Vaguely Menacing.

That's my two cents.

I saw TMR opening night [night before last] and although it isn't as good as the original [and what sequel ever is?] I liked it a lot because the film was still able to poke fun at itself as in the original. However, I felt bad for poor Jonathan because he didn't serve a real purpose. Music-wise, going in I though Jerry Goldsmith was still doing the score and was surpised to find out that Alan Silvestri composed it. I was pleasantly surprised with the score and how true he kept it to Goldsmith's original while simultaneously making it his own.


Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Treguard
<Send E-Mail>
(host217-35-163-26.in-addr.btopenw
orld.com)

  In Response to:
Don Smith
Rick's Theme Modified Comment   Wednesday, November 14, 2001 (2:08 p.m.) 

Hmm, well the first time we hear this in the track "Boy Kidnapped" Silvestri uses one of the oldest tricks in the book on Rick's Heroic Theme. Yup, just modulates up a Perfect 4th. Nothing spectacular about that, but for some reason in the film it's effective.

This is a really old idea, and was used in god knows how many scores (Superman I believe too)

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


oriane SAUZEDDE
<Send E-Mail>
(aputeaux-153-1-39-165.w82-124.abo
.wanadoo.fr)

  In Response to:
Don Smith

  Responses to this Comment:
Berlioz
Re: Rick's Theme *NM*   Thursday, June 1, 2006 (11:22 a.m.) 



Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Berlioz
<Send E-Mail>
(d85-194-212-235.cust.wlannet.com)

  In Response to:
oriane SAUZEDDE

  Responses to this Comment:
ZPIANOGuy
Re: Rick's Theme   Thursday, December 30, 2010 (7:54 p.m.) 

Yes.


Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


ZPIANOGuy
<Send E-Mail>
(genon-energy.vlan499.asr1.cle1.gb
lx.net)

  In Response to:
Berlioz
Re: Rick's Theme   Monday, January 6, 2014 (10:51 a.m.) 
• Now Playing: My First Bus Ride  

> Yes.

As the article says...can you picture the alternate "Pirates of the Carribbean" had they kept faith in Silvestri at the helm? Rick's Theme + Cutthroat Island swashbuckling = GOLD.

Z



Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display



Copyright © 1998-2018, Filmtracks Publications. All rights reserved.
The reviews and other textual content contained on the filmtracks.com site may not be published, broadcast,
rewritten or redistributed without the prior written authority of Christian Clemmensen at Filmtracks Publications. Scoreboard created 7/24/98 and last updated 4/25/15.