SUPPORT FILMTRACKS! CLICK HERE FIRST:
Amazon.com
Amazon.co.uk
iTunes (U.S.)
Amazon.ca
Amazon.fr
eBay (U.S.)
Amazon.de
Amazon.es
Half.com
Glisten Effect
Editorial Reviews
Scoreboard Forum
Viewer Ratings
Composers
Awards
   NEWEST MAJOR REVIEWS:
     1. Incredibles 2
    2. Solo: A Star Wars Story
   3. Deadpool 2
  4. Avengers: Infinity War
 5. A Quiet Place
6. Ready Player One
   CURRENT MOST POPULAR REVIEWS:
         1. Star Wars: The Last Jedi
        2. Gladiator
       3. Blade Runner 2049
      4. Batman
     5. Thor: Ragnarok
    6. The Avengers
   7. Spider-Man: Homecoming
  8. Avatar
 9. Dunkirk
10. Phantom Thread
Home Page
Menu Options ▼
Comments about the soundtrack for The Nightmare Before Christmas (Danny Elfman)
About age

Brittany
<Send E-Mail>
(162-42-80-115.cybertrails.com)


  Responses to this Comment:
Amuro
About age   Friday, December 31, 2004 (4:14 p.m.) 

I read your peice on the soundtrack to Tim Burtun's the Nightmare Before Christmas. You mentioned that if you're over 15 it probably wouldn't suit you. Well, I beg to differ. I'm a music student, I play 9 instruments, 3.75 GPA, a good student, very active with my music. I just recently turned 16 and let me tell you, I just got the soundtrack and since I can remember I've been begging for it. Not only this, but one of my best friends received the soundtrack for Christmas as well. Quite an ironic time to be given that particular soundtrack, wouldn't you say? Anyway, frankly, I think that you should take that out of your review. Many people I know love that soundtrack. I mean, the words are targeted for the younger generations, true. However I myself listen to the soundtrack constantly for the musical quality. The music is genius and would be appreciated by anyone, even over the age of 15. There's one part I myself enjoy most of all, in Christmas Eve Montage, (track #15), about 4:05 minutes in, you hear a subtle flute play Jingle Bells. Danny Elfman is among my favorite composers and I don't think that age should be limited. Those, of all age, who enjoy music will enjoy this album. Now you've heard my request, thank you for your time. Please respond at my email address listed, or in case not, here it is again mcjs_dreamsavvy1626@hotmail.com

Thank you, and sincerely,

Brittany

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Amuro
(hse201.hse.k12.in.us)
Profile Picture
  In Response to:
Brittany

  Responses to this Comment:
TGP
Re: About age   Wednesday, January 5, 2005 (9:34 a.m.) 

I agree... but you know he's not gonna care right?

It's his review and he has a right to keep that in there, but he has an EXTREMELY valid point. 16 year old kids like you and me aren't gonna be dissecting music the way I know that I do. If you do that too, awesome, but think about the popular punk kids at your school, do you think they do? No... so there he has a great point, and I think that he really points out in this review in particular that the age when instrumental music (full orchestra, or wind band) is really leaving us, and its a sad thing to behold.

Take Care,
Amuro

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


TGP
(204.250.80.132)

  In Response to:
Amuro

  Responses to this Comment:
TGP
Amuro
Jack
Re: About age   Sunday, January 9, 2005 (9:49 p.m.) 

Amuro,
I'm sorry, but you don't know what you're talking about on this one. Your use of "popular punk kids" labels most High School students as musically retarded losers and makes you look like a very narrow-minded individual. I for one am 16, and I play trombone in the top High School jazz and symphony bands in the state, piano and sing in the top concert/jazz choir. I take music very seriously and hope to major in it in college. I do analyze music and find "Nightmare" to be enjoyable and skillful while retaining all emotions. I don't particularly like the "punk rock" you refer to. For example, my CD player right now has Mozart's Requiem, Coltrane's A Love Supreme, Braveheart sdtk, Holst's Planets and George Gershwin. My score collection consists of E.T., Empire Strikes Back, Edward Scissorhands, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Schindler's List, Return of the King and many other classics of the genre. So please, do not make over generalizations about this generation. I'm sick of middle-aged people thining of this generation as a lazy, stupid breed when a very small percentage is actually that way. No offense intended.

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


TGP
(204.250.80.132)

  In Response to:
TGP
Re: About age   Sunday, January 9, 2005 (9:50 p.m.) 

By the way, Brittany, 9 INSTRUMENTS!?!?!? Wow, that's awesome. What instruments do you play?

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Amuro
(hse201.hse.k12.in.us)
Profile Picture
  In Response to:
TGP

  Responses to this Comment:
Erica Shelton
Re: About age   Tuesday, January 11, 2005 (9:53 a.m.) 

> Amuro,
I'm sorry, but you don't know what you're talking about on this
> one. Your use of "popular punk kids" labels most High School
> students as musically retarded losers and makes you look like a very
> narrow-minded individual. I for one am 16, and I play trombone in the top
> High School jazz and symphony bands in the state, piano and sing in the
> top concert/jazz choir. I take music very seriously and hope to major in
> it in college. I do analyze music and find "Nightmare" to be
> enjoyable and skillful while retaining all emotions. I don't particularly
> like the "punk rock" you refer to. For example, my CD player
> right now has Mozart's Requiem, Coltrane's A Love Supreme, Braveheart
> sdtk, Holst's Planets and George Gershwin. My score collection consists of
> E.T., Empire Strikes Back, Edward Scissorhands, Indiana Jones and the Last
> Crusade, Schindler's List, Return of the King and many other classics of
> the genre. So please, do not make over generalizations about this
> generation. I'm sick of middle-aged people thining of this generation as a
> lazy, stupid breed when a very small percentage is actually that way. No
> offense intended.

I too am 16...

In my CD player there is usually Grainger blaring, or Mozart, Beethoven, Gershwin, Dvorak... any of the great classical composers. You know thats awesome that you do all that stuff with Trombone, and yeah, my score collection is extensive as well.

But seriously, most kids our age... DON'T CARE... in the old days, men like Gershwin and Grainger were hailed as Gods... heck, some people even thought Mozart was the second coming of Christ! But look at it now, how many composers are household names? Eric Whitacre is a VERY talented man as he exhibits in pieces like "October"... but how many teenagers are gonna know his name? How about Robert W. Smith an INCREDIBLE composer for Wind Band, his "Dante's Devine Comedy" is a stunning work, particularly "The Inferno." In fact, regarding that, i'm so taken by it that I own the score for wind band... how many kids would buy it so that they could dissect it and see all the parts? How many kids will sit down and listen to Beethoven's Symphony No. 3 "Eroica" and take the time to realize that its about Napoleon, or appreciate its glorious fanfares of Horn?! NOT MANY!

I walked around my school one day, and I asked a lot of people if they had heard of Percy Aldridge Grainger, and they all said "no". Odd since less than one hundred years ago this man was the most famous concert pianist alive. Or Leonard Bernstein whom practically no one has heard of, despite the fact that he may have been the greatest conductor to ever live! It's sad really, but I get made fun of when I bring out the ol' manuscript paper and pencil.

Another composer who really gets the shaft... James Barnes, have you ever heard his 3rd Symphony for Wind Band? Its amazing. In fact, I can't quite express my feelings for how much that touched me... do you know how many kids who would listen to that would say its boring because it has no words? Kids our age listen to punk rock and rap, and in both of those genre's most of the groups only know 4 chords or less... I had an entire lesson on how rock bands only know 4 chords... and why its those four chords. Yeah, less interesting I'd say... a lot less interesting, but it has words... so its more popular.

The generation we belong is lazy and stupid. I hate it, I despise it in fact. Kids like you and me, and Brittanny up there are a rare breed anymore. And maybe its kids like us who can make the difference. I dunno, but it looks pretty hopeless from my vantage point. For every band/orchestra/choir nerd you have, you've got a thousand punk rockers waiting to take all of their glory.

You know, I agree with you about "Nightmare", its a grand work of art, that exhibits all of the emotions we expect from a composer like Elfman. And I too hope to major in music, and hopefully gain a kind of fame that Grainger or Leonard Bernstein possessed, and if i'm truly lucky, I'll get to score films.

Good Luck with your musical endevours, keep working hard!
Amuro


Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Erica Shelton
<Send E-Mail>
(70.150.56.25)

  In Response to:
Amuro
James Barnes   Wednesday, April 12, 2006 (4:02 p.m.) 

I'm sorry, but you don't know what you're talking about on this

> I too am 16...

> In my CD player there is usually Grainger blaring, or Mozart, Beethoven,
> Gershwin, Dvorak... any of the great classical composers. You know thats
> awesome that you do all that stuff with Trombone, and yeah, my score
> collection is extensive as well.

> But seriously, most kids our age... DON'T CARE... in the old days, men
> like Gershwin and Grainger were hailed as Gods... heck, some people even
> thought Mozart was the second coming of Christ! But look at it now, how
> many composers are household names? Eric Whitacre is a VERY talented man
> as he exhibits in pieces like "October"... but how many
> teenagers are gonna know his name? How about Robert W. Smith an INCREDIBLE
> composer for Wind Band, his "Dante's Devine Comedy" is a
> stunning work, particularly "The Inferno." In fact, regarding
> that, i'm so taken by it that I own the score for wind band... how many
> kids would buy it so that they could dissect it and see all the parts? How
> many kids will sit down and listen to Beethoven's Symphony No. 3
> "Eroica" and take the time to realize that its about Napoleon,
> or appreciate its glorious fanfares of Horn?! NOT MANY!

> I walked around my school one day, and I asked a lot of people if they had
> heard of Percy Aldridge Grainger, and they all said "no". Odd
> since less than one hundred years ago this man was the most famous concert
> pianist alive. Or Leonard Bernstein whom practically no one has heard of,
> despite the fact that he may have been the greatest conductor to ever
> live! It's sad really, but I get made fun of when I bring out the ol'
> manuscript paper and pencil.

> Another composer who really gets the shaft... James Barnes, have you ever
> heard his 3rd Symphony for Wind Band? Its amazing. In fact, I can't quite
> express my feelings for how much that touched me... do you know how many
> kids who would listen to that would say its boring because it has no
> words? Kids our age listen to punk rock and rap, and in both of those
> genre's most of the groups only know 4 chords or less... I had an entire
> lesson on how rock bands only know 4 chords... and why its those four
> chords. Yeah, less interesting I'd say... a lot less interesting, but it
> has words... so its more popular.

> The generation we belong is lazy and stupid. I hate it, I despise
> it in fact. Kids like you and me, and Brittanny up there are a rare breed
> anymore. And maybe its kids like us who can make the difference. I dunno,
> but it looks pretty hopeless from my vantage point. For every
> band/orchestra/choir nerd you have, you've got a thousand punk rockers
> waiting to take all of their glory.

> You know, I agree with you about "Nightmare", its a grand work
> of art, that exhibits all of the emotions we expect from a composer like
> Elfman. And I too hope to major in music, and hopefully gain a kind of
> fame that Grainger or Leonard Bernstein possessed, and if i'm truly lucky,
> I'll get to score films.

> Good Luck with your musical endevours, keep working hard!
Amuro

Appalachian State University's Wind Ensemble is playing James Barnes, "Third Symphony" next week. The bass clarinet solo is kicking my butt! I also played his clarinet piece called "Autumn Soliloquy" last semester for my studio. I love his work!

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Jack
(c-24-8-218-231.hsd1.co.comcast.ne
t)
Profile Picture
  In Response to:
TGP
Re: About age   Sunday, October 28, 2007 (3:13 a.m.) 

I have the cd do you



Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display



Copyright © 1998-2018, Filmtracks Publications. All rights reserved.
The reviews and other textual content contained on the filmtracks.com site may not be published, broadcast,
rewritten or redistributed without the prior written authority of Christian Clemmensen at Filmtracks Publications. Scoreboard created 7/24/98 and last updated 4/25/15.