SUPPORT FILMTRACKS! CLICK HERE FIRST:
Amazon.com
Amazon.co.uk
iTunes (U.S.)
Amazon.ca
Amazon.fr
eBay (U.S.)
Amazon.de
Amazon.es
Half.com
Glisten Effect
Editorial Reviews
Scoreboard Forum
Viewer Ratings
Composers
Awards
   NEWEST MAJOR REVIEWS:
     1. Halloween
    2. Venom
   3. House With a Clock/Walls
  4. The Nun
 5. Crazy Rich Asians
6. The Meg
   CURRENT MOST POPULAR REVIEWS:
         1. Solo: A Star Wars Story
        2. Batman
       3. Jurassic World: Kingdom
      4. The Predator
     5. Edward Scissorhands
    6. Mission: Impossible - Fallout
   7. Christopher Robin
  8. Apollo 13
 9. Ant-Man and the Wasp
10. The Equalizer 2
Home Page
Menu Options ▼
Comments about the soundtrack for The Patriot (John Williams)
Battle music in 'The Patriot'

mike
<Send E-Mail>
(ess-p-144-138-197-98.mega.tmns.ne
t.au)


  Responses to this Comment:
Daniel Chapell
Deluxe
ericka
Battle music in 'The Patriot'   Tuesday, November 27, 2001 (2:27 a.m.) 

Hey all! I've been trying to track this music down for a while, and I don't know what it is. it's the music played on the flute by some of the soldiers in the front line...just before the battle happens that gabrielle watches from the room in the house adjacent to the battle field.

I really want to know what the name of this tune is... seems as though it's some sort of marching tune.

Thanks for the help

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Daniel Chapell
(clt88-139-020.carolina.rr.com)

  In Response to:
mike
Re: Battle music in 'The Patriot'   Monday, February 18, 2002 (10:47 a.m.) 

> Hey all! I've been trying to track this music down for a while, and I
> don't know what it is. it's the music played on the flute by some of the
> soldiers in the front line...just before the battle happens that gabrielle
> watches from the room in the house adjacent to the battle field.

> I really want to know what the name of this tune is... seems as though
> it's some sort of marching tune.

> Thanks for the help
The tune has two names actually. If you are American you would call it "Free America", if you are British, you would call it "British Grenadiers". It was used by both sides before, during, and after the war. Hope this helps!
Daniel

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Deluxe
(dup-148-233-95-59.prodigy.net.mx)

  In Response to:
mike

  Responses to this Comment:
Jason
Joe Suniga
Re: Battle music in 'The Patriot'   Monday, March 11, 2002 (5:14 p.m.) 

By the way, I also have a music related question. It's from the movie Patton: What's the name of the marching tune that is heard when Montgomery enters Messina and meets with George Patton? I know it has nothing to do with the Patriot, but it is still a British march. It consists basically of drums and bagpipes. I've been looking for this tune since a long time ago but I don't know what's the name.

Hope someone knows. Thanks!

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Jason
<Send E-Mail>
(ip243.adelphia57.dialup.cafes.net)

  In Response to:
Deluxe

  Responses to this Comment:
Bulldog
Re: Battle music in 'The Patriot'   Sunday, February 23, 2003 (7:59 p.m.) 

> By the way, I also have a music related question. It's from the movie
> Patton: What's the name of the marching tune that is heard when Montgomery
> enters Messina and meets with George Patton? I know it has nothing to do
> with the Patriot, but it is still a British march. It consists basically
> of drums and bagpipes. I've been looking for this tune since a long time
> ago but I don't know what's the name.

> Hope someone knows. Thanks!

The song in Patton is Stars and Stripes Forever and there is a great version on the Air Force Bands Website as well as many others. the website is:
http://www2.acc.af.mil/music/


Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Bulldog
(48.3.8.67.cfl.rr.com)

  In Response to:
Jason
Re: Battle music in 'The Patriot'   Monday, December 15, 2003 (7:49 p.m.) 

> The song in Patton is Stars and Stripes Forever and there is a great
> version on the Air Force Bands Website as well as many others. the website
> is:
http://www2.acc.af.mil/music/

The March the British Army plays in Patton is called, "Scotland the Brave"

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Joe Suniga
<Send E-Mail>
(poky.inel.gov)

  In Response to:
Deluxe
Re: Battle music in 'The Patriot'   Tuesday, November 1, 2005 (3:03 p.m.) 

The name of the song is Scotland the Brave

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


ericka
<Send E-Mail>
(68-115-17-247.dhcp.mdsn.wi.charte
r.com)

  In Response to:
mike

  Responses to this Comment:
mike
ben smits
Re: Battle music in 'The Patriot'   Wednesday, August 31, 2005 (11:48 a.m.) 

> Hey all! I've been trying to track this music down for a while, and I
> don't know what it is. it's the music played on the flute by some of the
> soldiers in the front line...just before the battle happens that gabrielle
> watches from the room in the house adjacent to the battle field.

> I really want to know what the name of this tune is... seems as though
> it's some sort of marching tune.

> Thanks for the help

The name of the tune is british grendaniers but it is not played on the flute its actually played on the fife which paired with the drum was the way to communicate messages acrossed the field during a battle. Since in this scene they are in the battle there would have been no music actually playing because the fife and drummers would have been waiting to play a retreat or charge song at the generals command. Oh and just in case you are wondering why i know this it is because im a fifer in the Janesville Fife and Drum Corps. and we do reenactments of the french and indian and revolutionary wars. Hope this helps!!

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


mike
<Send E-Mail>
(www2.itd.uts.edu.au)

  In Response to:
ericka

  Responses to this Comment:
Maxwell Ritz
Re: Battle music in 'The Patriot'   Wednesday, August 31, 2005 (3:44 p.m.) 

Thanks alot for your help! I can't believe I posted that thread nearly 4 years ago. I still get that tune stuck in my head every so often.
Any ideas where I can get some good fife music like what I've heard in The Patriot?
Thanks

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Maxwell Ritz
<Send E-Mail>
(ip68-13-205-105.hr.hr.cox.net)

  In Response to:
mike
Re: Battle music in 'The Patriot'   Wednesday, November 13, 2013 (3:14 p.m.) 
• Now Playing: The world turned upside down, Williamsburg Fife and Drum  

> Thanks alot for your help! I can't believe I posted that thread nearly 4
> years ago. I still get that tune stuck in my head every so often.
> Any ideas where I can get some good fife music like what I've heard in The
> Patriot?
> Thanks

If you go to the website for the Williamsburg Fife and Drum Corps, they have a 40 song album, divided into British, Hessian, French, and American pieces, in that order.


Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


ben smits
<Send E-Mail>
(68-189-195-35.dhcp.ftrn.ks.charte
r.com)

  In Response to:
ericka
Re: Battle music in 'The Patriot'   Thursday, June 1, 2006 (6:03 p.m.) 

ahh somewhat correct, you do notice in the movie however that as the shooting started the music stopped. music was not only used as a crude means of signal during early wars, it was also used as moral and motivation for soldiers, as the fife and drum still are today. a fifer from Janesville Fife and Drum Corps should know about the United States Army Old Guard Fife and Drum Corps. I use to reenact next to janesville, a few years ago.

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display



Copyright © 1998-2018, Filmtracks Publications. All rights reserved.
The reviews and other textual content contained on the filmtracks.com site may not be published, broadcast,
rewritten or redistributed without the prior written authority of Christian Clemmensen at Filmtracks Publications. Scoreboard created 7/24/98 and last updated 4/25/15.