SUPPORT FILMTRACKS! CLICK HERE FIRST:
Amazon.com
Amazon.co.uk
iTunes (U.S.)
Amazon.ca
Amazon.fr
eBay (U.S.)
Amazon.de
Amazon.es
Half.com
Glisten Effect
Editorial Reviews
Scoreboard Forum
Viewer Ratings
Composers
Awards
   NEWEST MAJOR REVIEWS:
     1. Incredibles 2
    2. Solo: A Star Wars Story
   3. Deadpool 2
  4. Avengers: Infinity War
 5. A Quiet Place
6. Ready Player One
   CURRENT MOST POPULAR REVIEWS:
         1. Star Wars: The Last Jedi
        2. Gladiator
       3. Blade Runner 2049
      4. Batman
     5. Thor: Ragnarok
    6. The Avengers
   7. Spider-Man: Homecoming
  8. Avatar
 9. Dunkirk
10. Phantom Thread
Home Page
Menu Options ▼
Comments about the soundtrack for Star Wars: The Phantom Menace (John Williams)
Duel Of Fates - Lyrics

Cili
<Send E-Mail>
(pd9055cd1.dip.t-dialin.net)


  Responses to this Comment:
Chachi
Aramus
Obi Wan
The illuminator
Duel Of Fates - Lyrics   Wednesday, June 6, 2001 (7:25 a.m.) 

The score IS one of the best John Williams ever composed. But it's most disturbing to me, that Duel Of Fates got lyrics but I can't sing, when I'm listening to the soundtrack!!!
I MUST have the lyrics to that song! Does anybody know, where I can find them???

PLEASE! I need your help!

May the force be with you,

Cili.

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Chachi
<Send E-Mail>
(05-074.036.popsite.net)

  In Response to:
Cili

  Responses to this Comment:
willow
Leener
Alyssa
Mia
Re: Duel Of Fates - Lyrics   Monday, June 18, 2001 (10:53 a.m.) 

The Lyrics can be found in any Piano Book containing Duel of the Fates. The cheapest is probably the sheet music for Duel of the Fates.

Here's the lyrics (as found in "Music From Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace by John Williams - Warner Bros. Publications).

Kor-ah, Mah-tah, Kor-ah, Rah-tah-mah.

Kor-ah, Rah-tah-mah. Yood-hah, Kor-ah.

Kor-ah, Syahd-ho. Rah-tah-mah, Daan-yah. Kor-ah, Kee-lah, Daan-yah.
Nyo-hah, Kee-lah, Kor-ah, Rah-tah-mah. Syahd-ho, Kee-la, Kor-ah, Rah-tah-mah.
Kor-ah, Daa-nyah. Kor-ah, Rah-tah-mah.

Kor-ah, Daa-nyah. Kor-ah, Rah-tah-mah.
Nyo-hah, Kee-lah, Kor-ah, Rah-tah-mah. Syahd-ho, Kee-la, Daan-yah, Rah-tah-mah. Kor-ah!

Lyrics for Qui-Gon's Funeral and Augie's Municipal band are also in that book.

>

> The score IS one of the best John Williams ever composed. But it's most
> disturbing to me, that Duel Of Fates got lyrics but I can't sing, when I'm
> listening to the soundtrack!!!
I MUST have the lyrics to that song!
> Does anybody know, where I can find them???

> PLEASE! I need your help!

> May the force be with you,

> Cili.


Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


willow
<Send E-Mail>
(wnpgas06-p03.mts.net)

  In Response to:
Chachi

  Responses to this Comment:
jedigirlskywalker
jujar
Re: Duel Of Fates - Lyrics   Thursday, December 13, 2001 (1:10 p.m.) 

though this post is indeed several months old, i thought i might be able to help you anyways...

The lyrics to "duel of fates", i have found, are taken from a Gaelic poem. this may be found at http://people.ne.mediaone.net/cronos/sub_undertakings_flicks_sw.htm

then, also, furthermore, the song "duel of fates" you can tell is taken partially from Carl Orff's Carmina Burana, which deals an awful lot with fate.
"fate, monstrous and empty".
you may want to read the lyrics to carmina burana for further insight (or, listen to it which i highty reccomend.)

good luck with your lyrics!

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


jedigirlskywalker
<Send E-Mail>
(class223.84.ohiohills.com)

  In Response to:
willow

  Responses to this Comment:
The Chimera
Re: Duel Of Fates - Lyrics   Wednesday, January 9, 2002 (2:56 p.m.) 

Wow thanks for posting this i played the game and saw them singing on the video thing and that really bothered me cuz i wanted to sing along to my favorite song!(s'why im in choir):b anyway thanks!!:)

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


The Chimera
(c-24-5-207-65.client.comcast.net)

  In Response to:
jedigirlskywalker

  Responses to this Comment:
Lonely Soldier
Re: Duel Of Fates - Lyrics   Sunday, March 14, 2004 (2:49 p.m.) 

Accually, the lyrics to the famous deul of the fates is a line from "The Battle of the Trees" as is translated into sandscrit. The original poem was in celtic, and in the 50s or 60s was translated into english by a poet named Robert Graves. The line that Williams translated was

"Under the tongue root a fight most dread,
and another raging, behind, in the head."

the entire poem is as follows;

The Battle of the Trees

translated by Robert Graves

The tops of the beech tree have sprouted of late,
are changed and renewed from their withered state.

When the beech prospers, though spells and litanies
the oak tops entangle, there is hope for trees.

I have plundered the fern, through all secrets I spy,
Old Math ap Mathonwy knew no more than I.

For with nine sorts of faculty God has gifted me,
I am fruit of fruits gathered from nine sorts of tree -

Plum, quince, whortle, mulberry, respberry, pear,
black cherry and white, with the sorb in me share.

From my seat at Fefynedd, a city that is strong,
I watched the trees and green things hastening along.

Retreating from happiness they would fein be set
in forms of the chief letters of the alphabet.

Wayfarers wandered, warriors were dismayed
at renewal of conflicts such as Gwydion made;

Under the tongue root a fight most dread,
and another raging, behind, in the head.

The alders in the front line began the affray.
Willow and rowan-tree were tardy in array.

The holly, dark green, made a resolute stand;
he is armed with many spear-points wounding the hand.

With foot-beat of the swift oak heaven and earth rung;
"Stout Guardian of the Door", his name in every tongue.

Great was the gorse in battle, and the ivy at his prime;
the hazel was arbiter and this charmed time.

Uncouth and savage was the fir, cruel the ash tree -
turns not aside a foot-breadth, straight at the heart runs he.

The birch, though very noble, armed himself but late:
a sign not of cowardice but of high estate.

The heath gave consolation to the toil-spent folk,
the long-enduring poplars in battle much broke.

Some of them were cast away on the field of fight
because of holes torn in them by the enemy's might.

Very wrathful was the vine whose henchmen are the elms;
I exalt him mightily to rulers of realms.

Strong chieftains were the blackthorn with his ill fruit,
the unbeloved whitethorn who wears the same suit.

The swift-pursuing reed, the broom with his brood,
and the furse but ill-behaved until he is subdued.

The dower-scattering yew stood glum at the fight's fringe,
with the elder slow to burn amid fires that singe.

And the blessed wild apple laughing in pride
from the Gorchan of Maeldrew, by the rock side.

In shelter linger privet and woodbine,
inexperienced in warfare, and the courtly pine.

But I, although slighted because I was not big,
Fought, trees, in your array on the field of Goddeu Brig.



Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Lonely Soldier
(cpe-60-226-29-139.qld.bigpond.net
.au)

  In Response to:
The Chimera

  Responses to this Comment:
Newt_of_Vengeance
Re: Duel Of Fates - Lyrics   Friday, May 20, 2005 (7:12 p.m.) 

Robert Graves was not a poet, though he did translate several poems. He wrote the books I Claudius and Claudius the God as semi-fictional histories of the Roman Imperial Family of the first century BCE. Sorry about the rant.
> Accually, the lyrics to the famous deul of the fates is a line from
> "The Battle of the Trees" as is translated into sandscrit. The
> original poem was in celtic, and in the 50s or 60s was translated into
> english by a poet named Robert Graves. The line that Williams translated
> was

> "Under the tongue root a fight most dread,
and another raging,
> behind, in the head."

> the entire poem is as follows;

> The Battle of the Trees

> translated by Robert Graves

> The tops of the beech tree have sprouted of late,
are changed and
> renewed from their withered state.

> When the beech prospers, though spells and litanies
the oak tops
> entangle, there is hope for trees.

> I have plundered the fern, through all secrets I spy,
Old Math ap
> Mathonwy knew no more than I.

> For with nine sorts of faculty God has gifted me,
I am fruit of fruits
> gathered from nine sorts of tree -

> Plum, quince, whortle, mulberry, respberry, pear,
black cherry and
> white, with the sorb in me share.

> From my seat at Fefynedd, a city that is strong,
I watched the trees
> and green things hastening along.

> Retreating from happiness they would fein be set
in forms of the chief
> letters of the alphabet.

> Wayfarers wandered, warriors were dismayed
at renewal of conflicts
> such as Gwydion made;

> Under the tongue root a fight most dread,
and another raging, behind,
> in the head.

> The alders in the front line began the affray.
Willow and rowan-tree
> were tardy in array.

> The holly, dark green, made a resolute stand;
he is armed with many
> spear-points wounding the hand.

> With foot-beat of the swift oak heaven and earth rung;
"Stout
> Guardian of the Door", his name in every tongue.

> Great was the gorse in battle, and the ivy at his prime;
the hazel was
> arbiter and this charmed time.

> Uncouth and savage was the fir, cruel the ash tree -
turns not aside a
> foot-breadth, straight at the heart runs he.

> The birch, though very noble, armed himself but late:
a sign not of
> cowardice but of high estate.

> The heath gave consolation to the toil-spent folk,
the long-enduring
> poplars in battle much broke.

> Some of them were cast away on the field of fight
because of holes
> torn in them by the enemy's might.

> Very wrathful was the vine whose henchmen are the elms;
I exalt him
> mightily to rulers of realms.

> Strong chieftains were the blackthorn with his ill fruit,
the
> unbeloved whitethorn who wears the same suit.

> The swift-pursuing reed, the broom with his brood,
and the furse but
> ill-behaved until he is subdued.

> The dower-scattering yew stood glum at the fight's fringe,
with the
> elder slow to burn amid fires that singe.

> And the blessed wild apple laughing in pride
from the Gorchan of
> Maeldrew, by the rock side.

> In shelter linger privet and woodbine,
inexperienced in warfare, and
> the courtly pine.

> But I, although slighted because I was not big,
Fought, trees, in your
> array on the field of Goddeu Brig.



Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Newt_of_Vengeance
<Send E-Mail>
(cpe-065-190-043-016.triad.res.rr.
com)

  In Response to:
Lonely Soldier
Re: Duel Of Fates - Lyrics   Monday, February 13, 2006 (10:04 a.m.) 

This is an old thread, and mostly likely no one is going to read it, but anyway.....I found this on ytmnd.com, and it's great, you can really hear the "lyrics". Click link.

"Some saw Wookiees!
Great big Wookiees!!
They came to maul Daaaaaaarth Vader!!!"


Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


jujar
(141.pool6.dsltokyo.att.ne.jp)

  In Response to:
willow
Re: Duel Of Fates - Lyrics   Sunday, January 16, 2005 (9:56 p.m.) 

> though this post is indeed several months old, i thought i might be able
> to help you anyways...

> The lyrics to "duel of fates", i have found, are taken from a
> Gaelic poem. this may be found at
> http://people.ne.mediaone.net/cronos/sub_undertakings_flicks_sw.htm then,
> also, furthermore, the song "duel of fates" you can tell is
> taken partially from Carl Orff's Carmina Burana, which deals an awful lot
> with fate.
"fate, monstrous and empty".
you may want to
> read the lyrics to carmina burana for further insight (or, listen to it
> which i highty reccomend.)

> good luck with your lyrics!

Like my lyrics to this song is
Qui-Gon Qui-Gon Qui-Gon Darth-maul
Qui-Gon Qui-Gon Qui-Gon Darth-Maul
Qui-Go~~n Darth Maul
and it keeps on going like that :P



Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Leener
<Send E-Mail>
(cache-da03.proxy.aol.com)

  In Response to:
Chachi
Re: Duel Of Fates - Lyrics   Saturday, March 29, 2003 (10:14 a.m.) 

Does anybody have the lyrics to Children of Dune. The theme song? If you do send them to Leener678@aol.com. Title the email "CHILDREN OF DUNE." THanks, and I would really appriciate this.

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Alyssa
<Send E-Mail>
(ip68-111-132-10.sd.sd.cox.net)

  In Response to:
Chachi
Re: Duel Of Fates - Lyrics   Thursday, June 22, 2006 (9:21 a.m.) 

it all means: "Under the tongue root a fight most dread, and another raging behind, in the head."
the lyrics literally mean this:
(Khara = dreadful, Matha = head, Rath = speak, Amah = give)
They are singing in Sanskrit, but they are supposedly singing a Celtic poem called "Cad Goddeu"

Don't believe me?
complete proof and George Lucas said that it was true as well...
YAY for an 18 yr old girl that's gone to comic-con for the past 6yrs:D



Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Mia
<Send E-Mail>
(cpe-121-216-100-247.lnse2.ken.big
pond.net.au)

  In Response to:
Chachi
Re: Duel Of Fates - Lyrics   Saturday, October 17, 2015 (2:40 a.m.) 

Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. Blabity blabity blah blah blah blah. Blabity blabity blibity blah.


Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Aramus
<Send E-Mail>
(spider-wj061.proxy.aol.com)

  In Response to:
Cili

  Responses to this Comment:
m2468wdwa
Re: Duel Of Fates - Lyrics   Monday, April 15, 2002 (4:42 p.m.) 

> there are no lyrics to this song just choir "ah"s
-Aramus:b

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


m2468wdwa
<Send E-Mail>
(c-24-6-240-173.client.comcast.net)

  In Response to:
Aramus
Re: Duel Of Fates - Lyrics   Thursday, March 31, 2005 (5:14 p.m.) 

-Aramus:b
You ass, there are words, how could you even think they are only "ah"'s?


Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Obi Wan
<Send E-Mail>
(dsl-200-42-75-138.prima.net.ar)

  In Response to:
Cili
Re: Duel Of Fates - Lyrics   Sunday, April 13, 2003 (6:46 p.m.) 

Williams used one line from Robert Grave's translation of an old Celtic poem, "Cad Goddeu"

("Battle of the Trees"): "Under the tongue root a fight most dread, and another raging, behind,

in the head". He then had the phrase translated into different languages. Williams liked the

version in Sanskrit, an old Indian language, best, and decided to use it for the score.

Korah Matah Korah Rahtahmah
Korah Rahtamah Yoodhah Korah
Korah Syahdho Rahtahmah Daanyah
Korah Keelah Daanyah
Nyohah Keelah Korah Rahtahmah
Syadho Keelah Korah Rahtahmah
Korah Daanyah Korah Rahtahmah
Korah Daanyah Korah Rahtahmah
Nyohah Keelah Korah Rahtahmah
Syadho Keelah Korah Rahtahmah
Korah
Korah Matah Korah Rahtahmah
Korah Daanyah Korah Rahtahmah
Nyohah Keelah Korah Rahtahmah
Syadho Keelah Korah Rahtahmah
Korah

>

> The score IS one of the best John Williams ever composed. But it's most
> disturbing to me, that Duel Of Fates got lyrics but I can't sing, when I'm
> listening to the soundtrack!!!
I MUST have the lyrics to that song!
> Does anybody know, where I can find them???

> PLEASE! I need your help!

> May the force be with you,

> Cili.


Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


The illuminator
(andys.student.cwru.edu)

  In Response to:
Cili
Re: Duel Of Fates - Lyrics   Friday, February 3, 2006 (9:11 p.m.) 

LOL you noobs they are saying "Corn on the cob. CORN ON THE KABOB." Duh. Get it right.:D

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display



Copyright © 1998-2018, Filmtracks Publications. All rights reserved.
The reviews and other textual content contained on the filmtracks.com site may not be published, broadcast,
rewritten or redistributed without the prior written authority of Christian Clemmensen at Filmtracks Publications. Scoreboard created 7/24/98 and last updated 4/25/15.