SUPPORT FILMTRACKS! CLICK HERE FIRST:
Amazon.com
Amazon.co.uk
iTunes (U.S.)
Amazon.ca
Amazon.fr
eBay (U.S.)
Amazon.de
Amazon.es
Half.com
Glisten Effect
Editorial Reviews
Scoreboard Forum
Viewer Ratings
Composers
Awards
   NEWEST MAJOR REVIEWS:
     1. Venom
    2. House With a Clock/Walls
   3. The Nun
  4. Crazy Rich Asians
 5. The Meg
6. Christopher Robin
   CURRENT MOST POPULAR REVIEWS:
         1. Edward Scissorhands
        2. Jurassic World: Kingdom
       3. Batman
      4. The Predator
     5. Gladiator
    6. Mission: Impossible - Fallout
   7. Solo: A Star Wars Story
  8. Apollo 13
 9. Ant-Man and the Wasp
10. The Equalizer 2
Home Page
Menu Options ▼

Edit | Delete
Re: I've never read that much BS in one minute
• Posted by: Sam   <Send E-Mail>
• Date: Tuesday, July 17, 2007, at 6:34 p.m.
• IP Address: ip68-230-189-161.dc.dc.cox.net
• In Response to: I've never read that much BS in one minute (G.K.)

> Before I even start to reply to your post in detail, let me tell you that
> only a person blinded by awards, mesmerized by success, raped by
> Hollywood's machinery and unable to look behind a music's volume could
> possibly create a chain of reasoning like yours and believe in it.

> Who the hell are you to judge how much respect these people have? Excuse
> me for getting harsh, but you don't know a f*cking thing about their
> private personalities.
> Isn't the Zimmer defenders' desperate clinging to Spielberg's statement a
> sign that they secretly realise Zimmer has no substance? If Zimmer's work
> is really of that high quality, then it should get critical recognition in
> his own right, and not need the name Steven Spielberg attached to it.

> Yes, Hollywood lllloooooves the big money, doesn't it? Whether a
> composer's name sells or not says absolutely ZERO about his work or work
> ethics. Yes, Zimmer is bringing new fans to film music. The question is
> just: what kind of fans? The ones that visit a Christina Aguilera concert
> and listen to some Zimmer on the way home? Those folks know as much about
> the magic and subtlety of film music as Hans Zimmer does; sometimes even
> less.
> If being an elitist means being against these people being called film
> music fans, then I'll be happy to be called an elitist.
> Because these people don't embrace the musical past and hold it high as an
> example for legendary film music. They're not fans of film music, they're
> fans of Hans Zimmer, they listen to his music because it's a light and
> enjoyable listen.
> Nothing wrong with that you say? I agree, but the true mastery of film
> scoring goes far, far beyond that, and those people will most likely never
> get to understand this. Great film music grabs you by your neck, it's bone
> chilling, heartwrenching, tear-inducing, blood pressure rising
> rollercoaster of emotions.
> Hans Zimmer's music for AWE, and most of his other work, has no emotions,
> no heart, because he doesn't feel the heart of a scene in the first place.
> It's an unapproachable iceberg.

> Only a truly naive person measures a person's qualities by the number of
> times he appears on award lists.

> This may be more nonsense than my controller can take in at once. What on
> earth does it matter how many scores someone "writes" (in the
> broadest meaning of the word) in any given timeframe? I would take one
> Williams over three Zimmers any day.
> Your comments about Shore's or Williams' scores becoming redundant, I'm
> sorry, is just a definite sign that you don't know what the hell you're
> talking about. The fact alone that Howard Shore is now counted amongst the
> most respected and talented composers in the industry, and therefor a
> potential threat to any Zimmer fan (count the times Shore is mentioned in
> Zimmer discussions), shows that he has achieved more in four years than
> Zimmer has in ten. And that you name Shore in one sentence with John
> Williams probably means that you're one of those "new" fans,
> too, since Shore didn't make it big until 2002.

> I thought I could give these words some special attention, as they ooze
> truly mindboggling stupidity.
> Do you think Zimmeritos are the only ones with these "problems"?
> What about Vangelis fans? He writes like one score in a decade. Or Elliot
> Goldenthal fans? Or Horner fans? Williams seldomly writes three scores a
> year. Sometimes he even takes a year off, like now. How about three great
> scores PLUS one amazing score? He did Memoirs Of A Geisha, Munich, Star
> Wars Episode III and War Of The Worlds al in one year. Now you can choose
> which is the amazing one.

> Yes, he writes what the directors/producers want. Every composer has to do
> that, it's not like Hans Zimmer is getting some treatment other composers
> do not. On the contrary. I can't imagine hans Zimmer, being the most
> sought after composer in Hollywood, not having freedom with any given
> film. And even if the director says he wants this or that, ultimately,
> it's the composer's hands that write down notes, and if he feels the film
> needs some special tone or approach, he's free to at least try it.
> Following the director's/producer's suggestions without a question can
> quite often lead to less than average results.

> And that comment about other composers being kicked off projects is
> completely uncalled for. And don't kid yourself. Hans Zimmer and his bunch
> of yes-sayers aren't chosen as a replacement because they do perfect
> music. They are chosen because they can produce relatively big amounts of
> music of acceptable, but incredibly predictable, quality in a short
> timeframe.

> You always know what you'll get from Remote Control. The director doesn't
> need to discuss the tone of the film with them. That's the zeitgeist.
> Musical lazyness.

There's something very wrong psychologically with someone who gets that angry and verbally abusive over how others judge a composer's musical style. There are many more important issues in the world to be angry about.




Comments in this Thread:     Expand >>


Copyright © 1998-2018, Filmtracks Publications. All rights reserved.
The reviews and other textual content contained on the filmtracks.com site may not be published, broadcast,
rewritten or redistributed without the prior written authority of Christian Clemmensen at Filmtracks Publications. Scoreboard created 7/24/98 and last updated 4/25/15.