SUPPORT FILMTRACKS! CLICK HERE FIRST:
Amazon.com
Amazon.co.uk
iTunes (U.S.)
Amazon.ca
Amazon.fr
eBay (U.S.)
Amazon.de
Amazon.es
Half.com
Glisten Effect
Editorial Reviews
Scoreboard Forum
Viewer Ratings
Composers
Awards
   NEWEST MAJOR REVIEWS:
     1. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
    2. Inferno
   3. The Accountant
  4. The Girl on the Train
 5. Sully
6. The Magnificent Seven


   CURRENT BEST-SELLING SCORES:
       1. Star Wars: The Force Awakens
      2. Wolf Totem
     3. Mission: Imp. - Rogue Nation
    4. Jurassic Park
   5. The Martian
  6. Journey 2: Mysterious Island
 7. Jupiter Ascending
8. Tintin: Secret of the Unicorn
   BEST OF JAMES HORNER (1953-2015):
         1. Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan
        2. Willow
       3. The Land Before Time
      4. Glory
     5. Legends of the Fall
    6. Apollo 13
   7. Titanic
  8. The Legend of Zorro
 9. Avatar
10. The Amazing Spider-Man
Home Page
Menu Options ▼
Comments about the soundtrack for Star Trek Beyond (Michael Giacchino)
Krall & Jaylah Themes??

Joel A. Griswell
<Send E-Mail>
(cpe-172-90-172-104.socal.res.rr.c
om)
Profile Picture

  Responses to this Comment:
Noah
Caball
Krall & Jaylah Themes??   Sunday, September 11, 2016 (4:32 p.m.) 
• Now Playing: High-Rise (Clint Mansell)  

So, a bit baffled by Christian's review here, some views which seem fair, others seem overly harsh.

That said, one thing that I simply don't understand is when he's talking about the new themes for Jaylah and Krall. He says Jaylah's is the clearest identity, and that Krall's is barely discernible.
This to me is completely backward! Krall's theme, although nothing very original or complex, and not heard enough on album as what I noticed in film, is nevertheless entirely distinct to me in terms of being obvious when it's playing. I remember many louder, more aggresive versions in the film, whereas here there aren't too many like that. Though some of the quieter takes are nice, including that noble/tragic horn version that plays as (SPOILERS), he floats off into space at the end of the film.
Sure it's not pounding you over the head as Nero's theme from the first film, nor nearly as clever and insidious as Khan's theme from Into Darkness, but at least a standardly functional, if underwhelming, villain theme.

Jaylah on the other hand..... I got nothing. I still haven't sensed Anything you could call a theme/motif yet, which is a big dissapointment considering what a cool character she was. Other than some random percussion beats, I have no idea if she has any clear musical representation.

Any thoughts, or suggestions to clarify her material?
Thoughts on Krall's theme, or why Clem seems to have not discovered it? Did he get these two characters confused?


Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Noah
(ppp-99-12-243-243.dsl.wlfrct.sbcg
lobal.net)

  In Response to:
Joel A. Griswell

  Responses to this Comment:
Joel A. Griswell
Re: Krall & Jaylah Themes??   Sunday, September 11, 2016 (5:01 p.m.) 

I didn't hear the themes for either of them frankly. Where exactly is the Krall theme on the album?

> So, a bit baffled by Christian's review here, some views which seem fair,
> others seem overly harsh.

> That said, one thing that I simply don't understand is when he's talking
> about the new themes for Jaylah and Krall. He says Jaylah's is the
> clearest identity, and that Krall's is barely discernible.
> This to me is completely backward! Krall's theme, although nothing very
> original or complex, and not heard enough on album as what I noticed in
> film, is nevertheless entirely distinct to me in terms of being obvious
> when it's playing. I remember many louder, more aggresive versions in the
> film, whereas here there aren't too many like that. Though some of the
> quieter takes are nice, including that noble/tragic horn version that
> plays as (SPOILERS), he floats off into space at the end of the film.
> Sure it's not pounding you over the head as Nero's theme from the first
> film, nor nearly as clever and insidious as Khan's theme from Into
> Darkness, but at least a standardly functional, if underwhelming, villain
> theme.

> Jaylah on the other hand..... I got nothing. I still haven't sensed
> Anything you could call a theme/motif yet, which is a big dissapointment
> considering what a cool character she was. Other than some random
> percussion beats, I have no idea if she has any clear musical
> representation.

> Any thoughts, or suggestions to clarify her material?
> Thoughts on Krall's theme, or why Clem seems to have not discovered it?
> Did he get these two characters confused?



Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Joel A. Griswell
<Send E-Mail>
(cpe-172-90-172-104.socal.res.rr.c
om)
Profile Picture
  In Response to:
Noah

  Responses to this Comment:
RPurton
Re: Krall & Jaylah Themes??   Sunday, September 11, 2016 (11:47 p.m.) 

> I didn't hear the themes for either of them frankly. Where exactly is the
> Krall theme on the album?

Well, I don't have time to relisten to the whole album, but here's a couple moments I could find:

- In Artifacts as in Life - quietly around 0:20
- Mocking Jaylah - a menacing brass/choir performance 0:58
- Cater-Krall in Zero G - first 0:40 mark the last peformance of his theme, here in a noble yet tragic solo horn version

I'm sure I missed a couple on album, and like I said, I feel like there's several of the more obviously villainy statements that didn't make the album, though maybe it was just easier to notice the theme in the film because it always played when the character was on screen.

Hope this helps.



Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


RPurton
<Send E-Mail>
(203.168.52.231)

  In Response to:
Joel A. Griswell

  Responses to this Comment:
Joel A. Griswell
Re: Krall & Jaylah Themes??   Monday, September 12, 2016 (3:34 a.m.) 
• Now Playing: Kubo and the Two Strings (Dario Marianelli)  

> Well, I don't have time to relisten to the whole album, but here's a
> couple moments I could find:

> - In Artifacts as in Life - quietly around 0:20
> - Mocking Jaylah - a menacing brass/choir performance 0:58
> - Cater-Krall in Zero G - first 0:40 mark the last peformance of his
> theme, here in a noble yet tragic solo horn version

> I'm sure I missed a couple on album, and like I said, I feel like there's
> several of the more obviously villainy statements that didn't make the
> album, though maybe it was just easier to notice the theme in the film
> because it always played when the character was on screen.

> Hope this helps.

Krall's theme easily stood out for me and it was clear when it was referenced. Jaylah's theme I take it is the five-note action-y theme:

Krall:
Hitting the Saucer a Little Hard - 03:06-03:19
Jaylah Damage - 01:37-02:00
In Artifacts as in Life - 00:18-00:45 (a kind of twisted airy version of the theme)
Mocking Jaylah - 00:52-01:18
Crash Decisions - 01:10-01:24
Krall-y Krall-y Oxen Free - 02:51-03:46
Shutdown Happens - 01:15-02:08
Cater-Krall in Zero G - 00:00-00:41/01:57-END

Jaylah:
Jaylah Damage - 01:00-01:10
Motorcycles of Relief - 00:49-1:04/01:39-01:45
Mocking Jaylah - 02:37-02:55

There may be more examples but that's the best I can do for now!



Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Joel A. Griswell
<Send E-Mail>
(cpe-172-90-172-104.socal.res.rr.c
om)
Profile Picture
  In Response to:
RPurton

  Responses to this Comment:
RPurton
Re: Krall & Jaylah Themes??   Monday, September 12, 2016 (2:59 p.m.) 

> There may be more examples but that's the best I can do for now!

Perfect! Much more detailed than mine. I will definitely have to check out those times you mention for Jaylah's motif, I'm sure its there, I just wish it had been much more substantial and memorable for such a bad-ass character. Thanks for doing the research to pick out all those cues.


Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


RPurton
<Send E-Mail>
(203.168.52.231)

  In Response to:
Joel A. Griswell

  Responses to this Comment:
Joel A. Griswell
Re: Krall & Jaylah Themes??   Monday, September 12, 2016 (8:22 p.m.) 

> Perfect! Much more detailed than mine. I will definitely have to check out
> those times you mention for Jaylah's motif, I'm sure its there, I just
> wish it had been much more substantial and memorable for such a bad-ass
> character. Thanks for doing the research to pick out all those cues.

No problem. I think I've had a lot longer than CC to listen to the themes and the score as a whole, it's not a one-and-done listening experience, it demands more time!

Once the deluxe album is released I'm sure there will be a handful of more examples of Krall's theme here and there and of course CC might reconsider his position.


Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Joel A. Griswell
<Send E-Mail>
(cpe-172-90-172-104.socal.res.rr.c
om)
Profile Picture
  In Response to:
RPurton
Re: Krall & Jaylah Themes??   Monday, September 12, 2016 (8:51 p.m.) 

> Once the deluxe album is released I'm sure there will be a handful of more
> examples of Krall's theme here and there and of course CC might reconsider
> his position.

Totally forgot about that. Bring on the Deluxe now!! Actually what I most wish would be to get more statements of the Yorktown/5-year-mission theme, which is delightful. But from watching the film, I don't even really remember additional statements.

If there are further sequels, and Giacchino returns, he better keep on using that theme!


Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Caball
(n11-07-07.opera-mini.net)

  In Response to:
Joel A. Griswell
Re: Krall & Jaylah Themes??   Monday, September 12, 2016 (7:52 a.m.) 

> Did he get these two characters confused?

Sometimes it feels like he doesn't even listening to the scores he is reviewing. Or he just has a very weak ear for a themes that are not screaming in full symphonic and choral glory.


Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display



Copyright © 1998-2017, Filmtracks Publications. All rights reserved.
The reviews and other textual content contained on the filmtracks.com site may not be published, broadcast,
rewritten or redistributed without the prior written authority of Christian Clemmensen at Filmtracks Publications. Scoreboard created 7/24/98 and last updated 4/25/15.