1. Venom
    2. House With a Clock/Walls
   3. The Nun
  4. Crazy Rich Asians
 5. The Meg
Comments about the soundtrack for Star Wars: A New Hope (John Williams)
Most overrated score of all time!

Kris
(pcp06586504pcs.nrockv01.md.comcas
t.net)

Arne Barnard
Big Dave
Most overrated score of all time!   Sunday, March 6, 2005 (1:08 a.m.)

I think John Williams writes solid memorable and exciting themes but his scores are more of an afterthought and are not that listenable. His writing style has an upbeat and sacharine quality to it which is detrimental and works against him.
To me Jerry Goldsmith and Bernard Herrmann are the true greatest composers of all time. They excelled at not only writing great themes but pioneered all sorts of scoring techniques. Star Wars is remarkable for only the themes and nothing else.

(adsl-flat-basic-26.84-47-27.telec
om.sk)

Kris

Dave
Luc Sabourin
Re: Most overrated score of all time!   Sunday, March 6, 2005 (1:53 a.m.)

> I think John Williams writes solid memorable and exciting themes but his
> scores are more of an afterthought and are not that listenable. His
> writing style has an upbeat and sacharine quality to it which is
> detrimental and works against him.
To me Jerry Goldsmith and Bernard
> Herrmann are the true greatest composers of all time. They excelled at not
> only writing great themes but pioneered all sorts of scoring techniques.
> Star Wars is remarkable for only the themes and nothing else.

I fully agree on this. No doubt, John Williams has written several great themes in my opinion, such as Superman main theme, Indiana Jones, E.T. etc. The themes are great, but the rest of the scores - I don't know. I have been listening to the music of John Williams for several years and I still can't find anything worth listening except the themes. His scores are overrated indeed. To me, Jerry Goldsmith, James Horner and Christopher Franke(music of Babylon 5) are the composers of all time.

Dave
(cpe-24-25-215-59.san.res.rr.com)

Jerry
Re: Most overrated score of all time!   Sunday, March 6, 2005 (12:21 p.m.)

To me Jerry Goldsmith and Bernard

> I fully agree on this. No doubt, John Williams has written several great
> themes in my opinion, such as Superman main theme, Indiana Jones, E.T.
> etc. The themes are great, but the rest of the scores - I don't know. I
> have been listening to the music of John Williams for several years and I
> still can't find anything worth listening except the themes. His scores
> are overrated indeed. To me, Jerry Goldsmith, James Horner and Christopher
> Franke(music of Babylon 5) are the composers of all time.

thanks for posting that, now I can discredit anything you say in the future

Jerry
(pcp02002342pcs.savana01.ga.comcas
t.net)

Dave

Karol
Re: Most overrated score of all time!   Sunday, March 6, 2005 (4:16 p.m.)

I don't know where to even begin to disagree with the previous sentiments. Only Williams' THEMES are good?! Did you people listen to the cue in "Empire" called "The Asteroid Field"? Or how about "The Fighter Attack" from "New Hope"? "The Barrel Chase" from Jaws? "The Well Of Souls" from "Raiders"? Or how about "Leaving Home" from "Superman"? My gosh, I could go on and on! To suggest that Williams can't compose anything good apart from themes is ludicrous! And James Horner a better composer than John Williams? I think not! As much as I enjoy Horner's music, you don't have to listen long to his scores to hear self-plagarism over and over and over. At least Williams is capable of new compositions on an ongoing basis.

(static-23-28.o-dsl.nextra.sk)

Jerry

Jerry
Re: Most overrated score of all time!   Monday, March 7, 2005 (9:23 a.m.)

> I don't know where to even begin to disagree with the previous sentiments.
> Only Williams' THEMES are good?! Did you people listen to the cue in
> "Empire" called "The Asteroid Field"? Or how about
> "The Fighter Attack" from "New Hope"? "The Barrel
> Chase" from Jaws? "The Well Of Souls" from
> "Raiders"? Or how about "Leaving Home" from
> "Superman"? My gosh, I could go on and on! To suggest that
> Williams can't compose anything good apart from themes is ludicrous! And
> James Horner a better composer than John Williams? I think not! As much as
> I enjoy Horner's music, you don't have to listen long to his scores to
> hear self-plagarism over and over and over. At least Williams is capable
> of new compositions on an ongoing basis.

First, I have never mentioned that James Horner is a better composer than John Williams, so I don't know from where you got that statement. But, on the other hand, he is - at least to me. Yes, you could go on and on, and yes you can hear his self-plagiarism. But you have to take in consideration, how much time do the producers give Horner to compose. For example, he was given only 2 or 3 weeks to compose Troy - so no wonder. As I have already said - in my opinion. If someone has got a problem with that - well, it's his problem, not mine.

Jerry
(pcp02002342pcs.savana01.ga.comcas
t.net)

Karol
Re: Most overrated score of all time!   Monday, March 7, 2005 (7:49 p.m.)

Did you or did you not write the following?: "I have been listening to the music of John Williams for several years and I still can't find anything worth listening except the themes. His scores are overrated indeed. To me, Jerry Goldsmith, James Horner and Christopher Franke(music of Babylon 5) are the composers of all time." Though you didn't say it using those exact words, your statement would seem to overwhelmingly imply that you believe James Horner is a better composer than John Williams. That's where I got that from. If I'm wrong, then what did you mean?

(static-23-28.o-dsl.nextra.sk)

Jerry

Dave
Re: Most overrated score of all time!   Tuesday, March 8, 2005 (9:43 a.m.)

> Did you or did you not write the following?: "I have been listening
> to the music of John Williams for several years and I still can't find
> anything worth listening except the themes. His scores are overrated
> indeed. To me, Jerry Goldsmith, James Horner and Christopher Franke(music
> of Babylon 5) are the composers of all time." Though you didn't say
> it using those exact words, your statement would seem to overwhelmingly
> imply that you believe James Horner is a better composer than John
> Williams. That's where I got that from. If I'm wrong, then what did you
> mean?

Of course I have written that. There is my name written under the comment, ins't it? What I believe is you don't get the words "in my opinion". That means that I have been listening to his music, buing his scores and still the material is not as good as the scores by horner, jerry and chris. And yes, of course is James Horner a better composer than John Williams - and again IN MY OPINION and TO ME. You do undestand the meaning of these words, don't you? I'm starting to realise that you are a James Horner hater, right? I have never said that John Williams is an untalented composer. I'm not a John Williams hater or similar - I owe plenty of his works. The best score by far I have listened to, and not only the themes, but major part of the score, is A.I. - this IS INDEED an excelent piece of art. Look, I don't want to argue with you about who is the better composer like kids on a playground. The scores by John Williams are - in my opinion, and espacialy on this website - overrated. But to you he is the God of film music, right? I have got no problem with that.

Dave
(cpe-24-25-215-59.san.res.rr.com)

Karol
Re: Most overrated score of all time!   Tuesday, March 8, 2005 (11:51 a.m.)

Well, now we know to never respect anything you say again, Karol. There are many thing up for discussion on this board, but John Williams' talent is not one of them. Anyone who attacks Williams just comes off as sounding bitter, like the ugly girl who nobody invites to the dance ("the pretty girls who got invited are all dirty whores").

James Horner is a horrible hack who has not written a good score in a decade. He has not written an original score in more than a decade. I can't understand how anyone could/would defend Troy, which is the aural version of an enema.

(static-23-28.o-dsl.nextra.sk)

Dave

Richard Kleiner
Re: Most overrated score of all time!   Wednesday, March 9, 2005 (2:48 a.m.)

> Well, now we know to never respect anything you say again, Karol. There
> are many thing up for discussion on this board, but John Williams' talent
> is not one of them. Anyone who attacks Williams just comes off as sounding
> bitter, like the ugly girl who nobody invites to the dance ("the
> pretty girls who got invited are all dirty whores").

> James Horner is a horrible hack who has not written a good score in a
> decade. He has not written an original score in more than a decade. I
> can't understand how anyone could/would defend Troy, which is the aural
> version of an enema.

I see that you people have got a serious problem with the acception of other people's opinions. If you say Horner hasn't written anything worth listening in the last decade, ok, I'm fine with that, no problem. But again and again, I'm repeating myself all the time in this forum, to me he has written good music and I haven't regreted any of the money I have spent on his scores. I have never attacked Williams, you should read more carefully. To me, Horner is the better composer. Last but not least, I don't care about your respect, it's irrelevant to me. Of course is the talent of John Williams a thing for discussion, because his music is his talent, so if we are talking about his music, we are takling about his talent, right? The talent of every composer is reflected in his music, isn't it?

Richard Kleiner
(dsl-189-234-51-219-dyn.prod-infin
itum.com.mx)
Karol
Re: Most overrated score of all time!   Saturday, April 18, 2009 (8:15 p.m.)

Well, at the bottom of this thread, I have to say that "Star Wars" is in no way the most overrated score ever. I personally believe that the #most overrated score has to be "The Dark Knight".

However, that's my opinion, and you have your own personal opinion. No matter what others may say, it's what you think and nobody has the right to change it.

The reason why I disagree with you is because "Star Wars" was one of the very first scores I noticed when watching the movie as a kid without any knowledge about film scores. That's what makes it one of the best, if not the best of them all.

Luc Sabourin
(modemcable142.251-81-70.mc.videot
ron.ca)

Amuro
Re: Most overrated score of all time!   Monday, March 28, 2005 (4:47 p.m.)

I will have to agree with the first posts. John Williams is an amazing composer and has done, like everybody knows, some of the most popular themes for movies. But that's it. There is a post that I've done a few months ago on the movie Innerspace by Jerry Goldsmith, that said that John Williams was always writing the same scores over and over. Well, I still think the same today. I think Star Wars has some nice themes, but besides that, he's only putting notes everywhere and giving them to any instruments. Sometimes it even seems that he's composing while watching television. Meaning that he has his musical sheets and he is just writing any note, anywhere on the staff, and just making sure that it is in the right scale and the right chord.

Amuro
(12-222-21-255.client.insightbb.co
Luc Sabourin

Jerry
Re: Most overrated score of all time!   Monday, May 30, 2005 (6:05 p.m.)

You know what?

you're all immature little morons (even though you're probably older than me)... guy with the opinion on Williams themes... don't retort to every attack, it makes you sound like a 5 year old... guy with the Horner opinion... you're just a prick who can't give any kind of valid argument without belittling someone who disagrees/acting like a total dick... and last dude... well, I dunno I didn't read your post, so consider yourself completely void of this comment.

Grow up...

Amuro

Jerry
(pcp08606795pcs.savana01.ga.comcas
t.net)

Amuro

Beethoven
Re: Most overrated score of all time!   Friday, October 7, 2005 (8:41 p.m.)

Nuh uh! YOU are! YOU grow up, you big dummy!

> You know what?

> you're all immature little morons (even though you're probably older than
> me)... guy with the opinion on Williams themes... don't retort to every
> attack, it makes you sound like a 5 year old... guy with the Horner
> opinion... you're just a prick who can't give any kind of valid argument
> without belittling someone who disagrees/acting like a total dick... and
> last dude... well, I dunno I didn't read your post, so consider yourself
> completely void of this comment.

> Grow up...

> Amuro

Beethoven
(221-135-162-30.sify.net)

Jerry

Theowne
Re: Most overrated score of all time!   Tuesday, October 18, 2005 (11:55 p.m.)

Hello people

Well, as a musician and an amateur composer myself I find the Ignorance of some of the comments exasperating. Nobody composes music by writing "whatever notes he wants anywhere on the stave" for God's sake. And yes, we are all entitled to our own opinions on composers... but discussing whether Williams, Horner, Shore or Goldsmith is the greatest is as fruitless as an argument over Beethoven, Mozart or Bach being the greatest composer... THe point is each person's style is unique, adn they were best in different genres which often cant be fairly compared. Beethoven would probably score number 1 as an orchestral and inctrumental composer of large scale music, Mozart would top in opera, and Bach in choral and organ music. But that doesnt mean any of them is better than the other... How can anyone confidently claim that Mozart's opera "Don Giovanni" is better than Beethoven's ninth symphony, or vice versa?

As for William's talent, there is no question on the subject...and the Star Wars scores are without a doubt the most popular film scores of all time. That should say something about their being more than just a collection of nice-sounding themes! And in all frankness, while I do admire Horner, I must say Troy's score was, to put it mildly, abslolutely disappointing. From a composer of his calibre, a work of such questionable quality is hardly defendable by any excuse...and it was one of the reasons that Troy as a movie was a letdown. But every composer has his ups and downs, and Horner has provided some amazing film scores. As for my favourite film score...and this is just my opinion...I would say Shore's "Lord of the Rings" score was the closest any recent composer has got to emulating Wagner's intense and complex use of the Leitmotiv technique. THough the Star wars scores also used this technique incredibly effectively, I felt Shore's score developed the various themes to a greater extent than William's did...but of course, one has to keep in mind the different nature of the two sets of films.

Theowne
(toronto-hse-ppp3995999.sympatico.
ca)

Beethoven

Bob The Magic Hobo
Re: Most overrated score of all time!   Thursday, October 20, 2005 (3:04 p.m.)

Music is a personal thing, we will all have differing opinions it.

However, saying things like "Williams writes notes randomly" just isn't appropriate. We all know he is a good composer simply by his success. Perhaps actors can become extremely successful without talent, but musicians can't, even if you don't like them. We both know he is a good composer.

It's all preference. I like Thomas Newman the most. Does that mean he's the best composer ever? No, but I enjoy listening to his music the most, because it is my preference. He is the best, certainly, at composing the type of music which I appreciate, but that doesn't mean he's the best ever.

Bob The Magic Hobo
(cache02.iad.untd.com)
Theowne

Admiral Hull
Re: Most overrated score of all time!   Tuesday, December 13, 2005 (9:20 p.m.)

Thank you Beethoven for a being civilized in your comments.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and many people here seem like they are trying to shove their's down other people's throats. Your humbleness is most admirable.

In my opinion, Star Wars is a great score, and Horner has produced some decent scores in his day. I find that looking at the scores, I say "I could do that", but it is much harder than it looks. So I like to give composers a break, unless their score is absolutely horrid.

(Also, I agree with your LOTR opinion.)!!!

Admiral Hull
(int-gw-baylor-epb-10.baylorschool
.org)
Bob The Magic Hobo

Bozidar
Re: Most overrated score of all time!   Wednesday, May 24, 2006 (6:14 a.m.)

> Thank you Beethoven for a being civilized in your comments.

> Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and many people here seem like
> they are trying to shove their's down other people's throats. Your
> humbleness is most admirable.

> In my opinion, Star Wars is a great score, and Horner has produced some
> decent scores in his day. I find that looking at the scores, I say "I
> could do that", but it is much harder than it looks. So I like to
> give composers a break, unless their score is absolutely horrid.

> (Also, I agree with your LOTR opinion.)!!!

I agree with Beethoven's opinion about respect and opinions and stuff but if we're talking about horrid scores now, I'd have to say Madacascar was not very good at all, especially when compared to some Zimmer's previous works. While the popular music worked well in the movie, the original compositions written for the movie are just rudimentary string music that doesn't even go well with the picture. However, that's not to say he's a terrible composer; he's probably one of the best (note I said "one of the best" not "the best") in the buissiness today.
By the way, I find it rather amusing that there is a very similar thread that was posted on the Empire Strikes Back message board.

Bozidar
(user-2923.lns2-c12.dsl.pol.co.uk)

Admiral Hull

Donnie_Marko
Re: Most overrated score of all time!   Monday, June 5, 2006 (6:31 a.m.)

I am too a musician and a composer, and from a musical perspective, John Williams is a great composer. A musical example of this (as opposed to the reductionist, generic and childish arguments) is that Williams has great diversity in his works. For example, in Star wars alone he has composed glorious themes, legato love themes, incidental music and many more. Moreover, in his other films he has shown diversity: Schindler's list - wonderful and appropriate music. War of the Worlds - chaotic modernism. John Williams has the talent to compose such a variety of themes and they are all musically awe-inspiring in their orchestration, harmony, dymamic and timbre.

In addition, the arguments of this thread are shocking. The critique of Williams' music at the beggining was a complete contradiction. I quote Kris, "Williams writes solid memorable and exciting themes but his scores are more of an afterthought and are not that listenable". How can it be solid and memorable and not listenable? Moreover I completely disagree with Karol who said that he has been listening to William's music for years and hasn't found anything worth listening to except the themes: As I have stated above, Williams is far beyond than just themes. Secondly, Karol said that he likes Williams and has bought several of his soundtracks. This is a contradiction of his previous statement.

I wrote this so I could just get it clear to everyone here that William's regardless of anything else has proven himself to be a good composer. If you disagree then you are either lying, arrogantly ignorate OR you have no musical knowledge whatsover which gives you zero credibility in my opinion.

Anyway, after this I do not wish to debate upon other people's argument techniques, but rather give constructive musical analysis. I'm afraid that most people here are arguing about who is better or worse and this results in ridiculous statements such as John Williams randomly places notes on his scripts.

I personally like all of these composers and I don't have a favourite. However, whenever I hear the soundtrack, I always wonder, what would happen if another film composer composed this?

Therefore to summarise, Williams, like many, is a good composer. Many people in this thread are self-contradictory and love to exhibit their crude and reductionist generelisations. I say, critically and musically analyse soundtracks and not merely through bias.

Bozidar Smiljanic - London

Donnie_Marko
(dsl51b63284.pool.t-online.hu)

Bozidar

Bozidar Smiljanic
Prasanth
Re: Most overrated score of all time!   Friday, June 16, 2006 (5:55 a.m.)

Well I think, John W. is the best composer of all time. Many people says that some (or most) of his work is unlistenable. But think after: could i dont know James Horner write a score for Star Wars? Yes, i'm sure he could write a listenable, melodic score, with some choir, but he couldn't write so strong main theme, or called "action music". John Williams simply write, what te movie need! And cause of this sometimes his music is unlistanable (it's relative, what we call inlistenable). I think John W. is a great composer, because he doesnt think, that,
"whoaa, I have to write there a little bit more melodical music, because nobody will buy my score". I think the movie is the first. It's another think that people buy scores and he want to hear a listenable music form their cd player, but come on, isn't the most important, that the music serve the film??? I have 13 James Horner score, but I never heard so called unlistenable track. And don't say, that he only writes for "melodic" film. I'm not saying,that the composer who can write unlistenable score is the good composer.I hope you know what i'm talking about.
Listen the Terminal socre, or Home Alone or Memoirs of geisha...Are they unlistenable??? No, i think don"t. And Star Wars?? Yeah, if you want to hear some scottish music with bagpipe under a fightscene then avoid Star wars and John Williams.

Otherwise,my favourite composer isnt't John Williams. And for me there are unlistenable tracks too, but I know that that scene need that track.There is no place for melody, if there is a war...And I know, that if I found a track bad, it doesn't means, that the composer is bad (in that situation).There is difference between "my opinion" and between "facts".

Sorrry for my english, I'm hungarian.

Bozidar Smiljanic
(user-4688.lns5-c12.dsl.pol.co.uk)

Donnie_Marko

Donnie_Marko
Re: Most overrated score of all time!   Sunday, June 18, 2006 (1:06 p.m.)

Yes indeed, I could barely ascertain what you wrote. Because I don't understand what you said so all I can say try writing it again. You are forgiven for your lack of english skills.

Donnie_Marko
(dsl51b6328a.pool.t-online.hu)

Bozidar Smiljanic
Re: Most overrated score of all time!   Saturday, June 24, 2006 (3:20 p.m.)

> Yes indeed, I could barely ascertain what you wrote. Because I don't
> understand what you said so all I can say try writing it again. You are
> forgiven for your lack of english skills.

:-)))Sorry...which phrase do you not understand? :-))

Prasanth
(202-177-160-93.sify.net)

Donnie_Marko

Bozidar Smiljanic
S.Venkatnarayanan
Re: Most overrated score of all time!   Tuesday, July 4, 2006 (11:02 a.m.)

> Well I think, John W. is the best composer of all time.

> Yeah, if you want to hear some scottish music with bagpipe under a
> fightscene then avoid Star wars and John Williams.

Um...Calling John Williams the best composer of all time is like saying that all other composers cannot compose music! There are composers who were far better than John Williams!If you had mentioned one of the classical guys(Beethoven, Mozart, Haydn)or someone from the Baroque era(Vivaldi,Telemann,Bach etc) or maybe a romantic composer(Schumann, Mahler, Bruckner), I would not have minded much! Even then, "The Best Composer" happens to be music and not the composer!

Unfortunately, you guys seem to be "stuck" to either bashing or giving tooo much praise to a musical score. You either bash Williams/Horner or go to the extreme and give them way too much praise!

Again, remember,all music is recycling the same stuff! However, we have no excuse for plagiarism. So, dude, listen to lots of classical music and not just film music!

PS would the admin be kind enough to close this post which has gone for way tooooo long and only subjects in unnecessary rants which occur in other forums. Thank you!

Bozidar Smiljanic
(user-5676.lns3-c12.dsl.pol.co.uk)

Prasanth
Re: Most overrated score of all time!   Saturday, July 8, 2006 (3:24 a.m.)

> If you had mentioned one of the classical guys(Beethoven, Mozart, Haydn)

Sorry but it must be stressed that Beethoven was more of an early romantic than a classicist.

Be sure to make that distinction in the future.

Also, Mahler is a post-romantic, not a romantic. The Romantics were - Beethoven, Schumman (as you rightly said), Mendlesson, Berlioz, Tchaikovski etc

Sorry to nit-pick but this is very important

S.Venkatnarayanan
(219.65.105.99)
Prasanth
What the hell you people are talking about?   Monday, May 12, 2008 (4:20 a.m.)

> Um...Calling John Williams the best composer of all time is like saying
> that all other composers cannot compose music! There are composers who
> were far better than John Williams!If you had mentioned one of the
> classical guys(Beethoven, Mozart, Haydn)or someone from the Baroque
> era(Vivaldi,Telemann,Bach etc) or maybe a romantic composer(Schumann,
> Mahler, Bruckner), I would not have minded much! Even then, "The Best
> Composer" happens to be music and not the composer!

> Unfortunately, you guys seem to be "stuck" to either bashing or
> giving tooo much praise to a musical score. You either bash
> Williams/Horner or go to the extreme and give them way too much praise!

> Again, remember,all music is recycling the same stuff! However, we have no
> excuse for plagiarism. So, dude, listen to lots of classical music and not
> just film music!

> PS would the admin be kind enough to close this post which has gone for
> way tooooo long and only subjects in unnecessary rants which occur in
> other forums. Thank you!

I think you are so jealous about john Williams' popularity all over the world. You are jealous mainly because just you never heard people talking about Mr.Vangelis or any classical composers. I don't think you are that much stupid to ignore one fact that this particular website is about film score not about any old classical music or composers. I don't think you can't persuade or force other people to listen to classical music. You are totally insecured person. Don't listen to classical music too much. If you think classical music is the best then go ahead listen and stick on to it. Don't make insensible comments by saying that 'Everybody says John Williams is great composer' yes this particular thread is about Maestro John Williams' "STAR WARS". Yes, i don't hesitate to call as Maestro, instead i am really proud to call him Maestro.

It is merely stupid to say "Calling John Williams the best composer of all time is like saying that all other composers cannot compose music", it clearly shows if anyone praises John Williams you'll get ANGRY, instead, if anyone praises Beethoven you'll get HAPPY. COME ON, STOP THIS PREJUDICE.

Then another idiotic stuff from YOU, in fact i laughed at you like anything, read what you have written,"If you had mentioned one of the classical guys(Beethoven, Mozart, Haydn)or someone from the Baroque era(Vivaldi,Telemann,Bach etc) or maybe a romantic composer(Schumann, Mahler, Bruckner), I would not have minded much!", hey are you blind? don't you see this particular thread is about Williams' work not about Old guys like Schumann,Mahler, Beethoven e.t.c. How can you ask people to comment upon these old guys?. This makes you are totally immature.

Last but not least, See, if you like Classical music, that's fine but without knowing anything about Williams or any other film score composer, how can you make a such blind statement? First of all,Did you know anything about your own favorite classical composers completely? No. but you speak blindly.

If you don't like Williams that's fine, but you can't keep on hurting other feelings. One last thing, if everybody likes John Williams because he just fulfill the expectations of listeners. At the same time, it doesn't mean other composer doesn't do that. But he does more for listeners. If you accept or not, I JUST DON'T CARE.

ONE IMPORTANT THING, I LIKE TO REMAIN YOU AGAIN AND AGAIN, THIS FILMTRACKS WEBSITE IS ABOUT FILM SCORES NOT ABOUT CLASSICAL MUSIC.

DON'T LISTEN TO JUST CLASSICAL SCORE! LISTEN ALL TYPE OF MUSIC.

GROW UP! WRITE SOME SENSIBLE STUFF.

(Message edited on Monday, May 12, 2008, at 4:22 a.m.)

Arne Barnard
(209-193-22-244-cdsl-rb1.nwc.acsal
aska.net)

Kris
Re: Most overrated score of all time!   Thursday, July 6, 2006 (2:53 a.m.)

> I think John Williams writes solid memorable and exciting themes but his
> scores are more of an afterthought and are not that listenable. His
> writing style has an upbeat and sacharine quality to it which is
> detrimental and works against him.
To me Jerry Goldsmith and Bernard
> Herrmann are the true greatest composers of all time. They excelled at not
> only writing great themes but pioneered all sorts of scoring techniques.
> Star Wars is remarkable for only the themes and nothing else.

Well,if all there was to Star Wars success was just themes,well anyone can write those-I write them myself all the time.
What made Star Wars so successful was in the WAY those themes were presented and I'm not just talking about the stuff that's "popular"(ie. The Force Theme,Princess Leias Theme etc.) but also the stuff that is uniquely vague-the stuff that you can't hum after listening to it,but affects you nonetheless.Think about this the next time you're listening to "The Destruction of Alderaan".Williams could've written some made to order theme music for that scene but he chose instead to concentrate on the absolute essence of villainy and wrote music appropriate to that context-no "theme" needed.

Another thing you have to remember about Williams is that the man is highly trained and educated in his chosen field in addition to just being totally and blindingly gifted.His training taught him how to orchestrate music but it's his imagination that allows him to orchestrate that *same* music for maximum impact.He is not a "Hollywood Type" as the Boston Pops once thought he was-he is someone who has studied and honed his craft over a decades long career.

(Message edited on Monday, May 12, 2008, at 4:22 a.m.)

Big Dave
(79-71-62-146.dynamic.dsl.as9105.c
om)
Kris
Re: Most overrated score of all time!   Thursday, April 16, 2009 (3:17 p.m.)

> I think John Williams writes solid memorable and exciting themes but his
> scores are more of an afterthought and are not that listenable. His
> writing style has an upbeat and sacharine quality to it which is
> detrimental and works against him.
> To me Jerry Goldsmith and Bernard Herrmann are the true greatest composers
> of all time. They excelled at not only writing great themes but pioneered
> all sorts of scoring techniques. Star Wars is remarkable for only the
> themes and nothing else.

You are a COCK! Talking [bleep!]e, I think, is one of the reasons the internet was invented!