SUPPORT FILMTRACKS! CLICK HERE FIRST:
Amazon.com
Amazon.co.uk
iTunes (U.S.)
Amazon.ca
Amazon.fr
eBay (U.S.)
Amazon.de
Amazon.es
Half.com
Glisten Effect
Editorial Reviews
Scoreboard Forum
Viewer Ratings
Composers
Awards
   NEWEST MAJOR REVIEWS:
     1. Incredibles 2
    2. Solo: A Star Wars Story
   3. Deadpool 2
  4. Avengers: Infinity War
 5. A Quiet Place
6. Ready Player One
   CURRENT MOST POPULAR REVIEWS:
         1. Star Wars: The Last Jedi
        2. Gladiator
       3. Blade Runner 2049
      4. Batman
     5. Thor: Ragnarok
    6. The Avengers
   7. Spider-Man: Homecoming
  8. Avatar
 9. Dunkirk
10. Phantom Thread
Home Page
Menu Options ▼
Comments about the soundtrack for Titanic (James Horner)
Titanic is nothing short of AWESOME

Anthonyuk2001
<Send E-Mail>
(gw102.dsl.iadfw.net)


  Responses to this Comment:
Danny French
Titanic is nothing short of AWESOME   Tuesday, May 28, 2002 (4:57 p.m.) 

I was listening to "Titanic" the other day, and although the First track: Never an Absolution is bland, I found the rest of the album to be quite enjoyable.

Never an Absolution: I found this track to be a little bland, I was expecting a great big opening to the CD. But nevertheless, this track is soothing, and sounds great.

Distant Memories: I loved the electronic voices at the beginning, and the suddenly speeding up of the muisic towards the end, a very enjoyable track.

Southampton: My all Time Favorite! This track is pretty self-explanatory. The synthesized voices are awesome as well as the musical cues in the middle, and I loved how the track slowed down towards the middle, and then how the synthesized voices came through again, completely awesome.

Rose: A beautiful piece of music, Rose's theme is very soothing, with Sissel's vocals over the instruments, and the ending to the track is so haunting, it is a beautiful track.

Leaving port: This track is rather exciting too, again the Southampton theme rolls in again, for a few seconds in the track, but the rest is just a remix of the southampton track mainly, but quite enjoyable.

/\
Take her to sea, Mr. Murdoch: Exactly as above

Hard to Starboard: Some nice soothing music at the beginning, and some action\disaster cues at the end, make this track. I can't say this track is at all soothing as it signals trouble, and panic. a nice piece of action music, but I will have to agree with the First review: Defenitely to be skipped past, Second Review: The Metal clangs are not where it's at.

Unable to stay unwilling to leave: This track has some dramatic music to it, and some more of the action music towards the end, pretty much the same as above

/\
The Sinking: Same

Death of Titanic: In this track some more of the Synthesized voices come in, as that signals the complete sinking\death of the Titanic, and rose's lover Jack, a very sad piece of music, but somewhat entertaining as well.

A Promise Kept: Introduces a new style of music to the album, sort of bittersweet, but entertaining as well.

A Life so changed: This track is basically a repeat of "Never An Absolution", with out the bagpipe beginning.

An Ocean of Memories: Another one of my All Time Favorites, the beginning, very soothing with those electronic voices used in "Distant Memories", and Sissel's voice, the end is very emotional, and I just love how it swells with emotion at the end. This is an Awesome Track

My Heart will go on: This is a lovely original pop song, performed by Celine Dion, and music by James horner. This song adapts the main theme from the whole Album and gives in a pop style, this is another soothing track.

Hymn to the Sea: Ah, couldn't go without this, a combination of mostly all of the tunes to the Titanic album and gives them sort of a military style, a good listen, and yet another great track.

Again I say, this album is nothing short of AWESOME, I recommend it to every James horner fan, and even non-horner fans, throw away your Jerry Goldsmith CD's, this is what started me to collect JAmes horner's CD's. If you don't have it, get it immediately.

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Danny French
<Send E-Mail>
(acba4ba4.ipt.aol.com)

  In Response to:
Anthonyuk2001

  Responses to this Comment:
Anthonyuk2001
Amuro
Titanic is nothing short of OBNOXIOUS, PLAGIARISTIC, and CHEESY   Saturday, November 2, 2002 (3:04 p.m.) 

> Again I say, this album is nothing short of AWESOME, I recommend it to
> every James horner fan, and even non-horner fans, throw away your Jerry
> Goldsmith CD's, this is what started me to collect JAmes horner's CD's. If
> you don't have it, get it immediately.

Jerry Goldsmith is a veteran composer. Horner is a thief and an idiot. I've tried him again and again - I've paid actual money for his tripe for God's sake. I'm afraid I simply can't bring myself to enjoy this patronising musical saccharine.

Sorry!

Have a nice day,
Danny

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Anthonyuk2001
<Send E-Mail>
(adsl-64-217-218-182.dsl.rcsntx.sw
bell.net)

  In Response to:
Danny French

  Responses to this Comment:
JS Park
Re: Titanic is nothing short of OBNOXIOUS, PLAGIARISTIC, and CHEESY   Monday, December 2, 2002 (7:07 p.m.) 

> Jerry Goldsmith is a veteran composer. Horner is a thief and an idiot.
> I've tried him again and again - I've paid actual money for his tripe for
> God's sake. I'm afraid I simply can't bring myself to enjoy this
> patronising musical saccharine.

> Sorry!

> Have a nice day,
Danny

Dude, how can you think of this magnificent score that way, and how is he a thief????? I have tried to understand your comment above...please explain further

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


JS Park
<Send E-Mail>
(216-237-196-116-dslam1-hmc.norths
tate.net)

  In Response to:
Anthonyuk2001

  Responses to this Comment:
DPAR
Re: Titanic is nothing short of OBNOXIOUS, PLAGIARISTIC, and CHEESY   Saturday, June 19, 2004 (9:21 p.m.) 

Danny

> Dude, how can you think of this magnificent score that way, and how is he
> a thief????? I have tried to understand your comment above...please
> explain further
He is talking about horner self plagerizing....he does it a lot, kinda like me always not spelling things right! lol well they all do it, so horner is not so awful....

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


DPAR
(82-35-75-94.cable.ubr02.dals.blue
yonder.co.uk)

  In Response to:
JS Park
Re: Titanic is nothing short of OBNOXIOUS, PLAGIARISTIC, and CHEESY   Friday, September 23, 2005 (3:32 p.m.) 

> Danny
He is talking about horner self plagerizing....he does it a lot,
> kinda like me always not spelling things right! lol well they all do it,
> so horner is not so awful....

I once sat down and thought about it. And I decided that EVERY Horner theme isn't self plagiarised, it's from the same passage of Bruch's violin concerto. I've yet to find anything by him that stretches that assumption...

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Amuro
(12-222-158-77.client.insightbb.co
m)
Profile Picture
  In Response to:
Danny French

  Responses to this Comment:
anomanus
Danny French
Re: Titanic is nothing short of OBNOXIOUS, PLAGIARISTIC, and CHEESY   Tuesday, June 10, 2003 (11:17 a.m.) 

> Jerry Goldsmith is a veteran composer. Horner is a thief and an idiot.
> I've tried him again and again - I've paid actual money for his tripe for
> God's sake. I'm afraid I simply can't bring myself to enjoy this
> patronising musical saccharine.

> Sorry!

> Have a nice day,
Danny

Can we say "hypocrite"?

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


anomanus
<Send E-Mail>
(pool-68-238-36-40.scr.east.verizo
n.net)

  In Response to:
Amuro
Re: Titanic is nothing but sadness   Tuesday, October 18, 2005 (5:14 p.m.) 

Hey Amuro ur not a titanic fan so y r u on here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!-! =

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Danny French
<Send E-Mail>
(firenat.roehampton.ac.uk)

  In Response to:
Amuro

  Responses to this Comment:
roybatty
Re: Titanic is nothing short of OBNOXIOUS, PLAGIARISTIC, and CHEESY   Friday, September 29, 2006 (6:13 a.m.) 
• Now Playing: nothing, i'm at work  

> Danny

> Can we say "hypocrite"?

We certainly can, though I fail to see what relevance it has to this discussion. If anybody can be accused of hypocracy, it is Mr Horner himself, who has been quoted a number of times in interviews as despising plagiarism and consciously avoiding it himself, whilst simultaneously recycling the same passages of music, time and time again, across twenty-five years of film scoring.

I apologise for sounding like an arrogant git in my previous post (it was four years ago) but I do maintain Horner is indeed a thief - from himself, from Prokofiev, and from two dozen other composers considerably more talented than he. Anybody who does not spot these thefts is a) not familiar with the stolen works, b) is completely oblivious to flashes of the blinding obvious, or c) is so completely brainwashed by (inexplicable) Horner adoration, that he cannot begin to accept that Horner isn't all he's cracked up to be.

The thefts are at any rate NOT a matter for discussion, or are they a subjective opinion. They are pure physical fact in most cases - the other cases are readily evident to anybody with even a cursory musical education and a mind open enough to accept that Horner has flaws.

Danny



Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


roybatty
<Send E-Mail>
(bb-87-82-29-186.ukonline.co.uk)

  In Response to:
Danny French

  Responses to this Comment:
A fan of James Horner
Re: Titanic is nothing short of OBNOXIOUS, PLAGIARISTIC, and CHEESY   Saturday, September 30, 2006 (7:31 p.m.) 

> We certainly can, though I fail to see what relevance it has to this
> discussion. If anybody can be accused of hypocracy, it is Mr Horner
> himself, who has been quoted a number of times in interviews as despising
> plagiarism and consciously avoiding it himself, whilst simultaneously
> recycling the same passages of music, time and time again, across
> twenty-five years of film scoring.

> I apologise for sounding like an arrogant git in my previous post (it was
> four years ago) but I do maintain Horner is indeed a thief - from himself,
> from Prokofiev, and from two dozen other composers considerably more
> talented than he. Anybody who does not spot these thefts is a) not
> familiar with the stolen works, b) is completely oblivious to flashes of
> the blinding obvious, or c) is so completely brainwashed by (inexplicable)
> Horner adoration, that he cannot begin to accept that Horner isn't all
> he's cracked up to be.

> The thefts are at any rate NOT a matter for discussion, or are they a
> subjective opinion. They are pure physical fact in most cases - the other
> cases are readily evident to anybody with even a cursory musical education
> and a mind open enough to accept that Horner has flaws.

> Danny Why are all criticisms of James Horner's music so vehemently accusatory, while other composers like John Williams, Hanz Zimmer and (esp.) Howard Shore are easily given the benefit of the doubt? I don't believe that Horner has, on the whole, plagiarised any more than they have, maybe even less!! It wouldn't be difficult to draw a list of material that Williams has stolen/borderline stolen over the yeare which would easily equal the total of Horner's thefts. Likewise, The Lord of the Rings by Shore probably contains more thefts/"borrowings" than in Horner's entire ouvre!!!



Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


A fan of James Horner
(ehc-68-130.ehc.edu)

  In Response to:
roybatty

  Responses to this Comment:
roybatty
Re: Titanic is nothing short of OBNOXIOUS, PLAGIARISTIC, and CHEESY   Wednesday, November 15, 2006 (5:34 p.m.) 

All film-composers are guilty of plagiarism in one shape or form. Just listen to Hans Zimmer's work. It is all the same drone. John Williams isn't original either. That does not mean that their music is not entertaining and have some spark of creativity (except for Zimmer, he borrows from himself way too much).

The main motif to Lord of the Ring's "concerning hobbits" was taken from the first measures of a Christian hymn. Sadly, I cannot remember the name of that particular hymn. Although I have heard it played many times.

As for Titanic, it is a great score. Honestly, it made the movie. I think it captured the human drama of the disaster. It sort of made the porn/love story believable. As it is, Star Wars would not be Star Wars if not for John Williams. Cutthroat Island would have really really sucked if John Debney hadn't composed that awesome score ( there is a bit of plagerism in that score). So Horner does not deserve harsh criticism. Plagerism smagerisim, I liked the score.



Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


roybatty
<Send E-Mail>
(bb-87-82-4-50.ukonline.co.uk)

  In Response to:
A fan of James Horner
Re: Titanic is nothing short of OBNOXIOUS, PLAGIARISTIC, and CHEESY   Saturday, March 3, 2007 (6:13 a.m.) 

> All film-composers are guilty of plagiarism in one shape or form. Just
> listen to Hans Zimmer's work. It is all the same drone. John Williams
> isn't original either. That does not mean that their music is not
> entertaining and have some spark of creativity (except for Zimmer, he
> borrows from himself way too much).

> The main motif to Lord of the Ring's "concerning hobbits" was
> taken from the first measures of a Christian hymn. Sadly, I cannot
> remember the name of that particular hymn. Although I have heard it played
> many times.

> As for Titanic, it is a great score. Honestly, it made the movie. I think
> it captured the human drama of the disaster. It sort of made the porn/love
> story believable. As it is, Star Wars would not be Star Wars if not for
> John Williams. Cutthroat Island would have really really sucked if John
> Debney hadn't composed that awesome score ( there is a bit of plagerism in
> that score). So Horner does not deserve harsh criticism. Plagerism
> smagerisim, I liked the score.

* Cutthroat Island is rubbish with or without Debney's score.

* "made the porn/love story believable" Porn?? Really??

* The Star Wars score is overrated.

* The name of the hymn that the Lord of the Rings tune is (allegedly) taken from is "This is My Father's World"


Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display



Copyright © 1998-2018, Filmtracks Publications. All rights reserved.
The reviews and other textual content contained on the filmtracks.com site may not be published, broadcast,
rewritten or redistributed without the prior written authority of Christian Clemmensen at Filmtracks Publications. Scoreboard created 7/24/98 and last updated 4/25/15.