SUPPORT FILMTRACKS! CLICK HERE FIRST:
Amazon.com
Amazon.co.uk
iTunes (U.S.)
Amazon.ca
Amazon.fr
eBay (U.S.)
Amazon.de
Amazon.es
Half.com
Glisten Effect
Editorial Reviews
Scoreboard Forum
Viewer Ratings
Composers
Awards
   NEWEST MAJOR REVIEWS:
     1. Captain Marvel
    2. HTTYD: The Hidden World
   3. The Lego Movie 2
  4. Aquaman
 5. Spider-Man: Into Spider-Verse
6. Bumblebee
   CURRENT MOST POPULAR REVIEWS:
         1. Batman
        2. Star Wars: The Last Jedi
       3. Apollo 13
      4. Edward Scissorhands
     5. How to Train Your Dragon
    6. Jurassic World: Kingdom
   7. First Man
  8. Solo: A Star Wars Story
 9. Justice League
10. Ready Player One
Home Page
Menu Options ▼
Comments about the soundtrack for Titanic (James Horner)
I love Titanic

Anas Assaad
<Send E-Mail>
(66.198.41.29)


  Responses to this Comment:
Danny French
james
I love Titanic   Wednesday, October 2, 2002 (4:03 a.m.) 

Horner? What can I say about him? He’s just the best score maker ever.
I enjoy all his soundtracks, especially Titanic and the mask of Zorro.

But the score of the Titanic impressed me a lot that I always find something new in it.
By the way, choosing the best diva ever, Celine Dion to sing the theme of the movie was an excellent choice that it made Celine one of the most wanted singers for the themes of the movies.

Actually I bought “The Lord Of the Rings” soundtrack, but it didn’t impress me as “Titanic” and “Back To Titanic” did.
I guess that it was the most sold soundtrack ever and when I say “IT DESERVE ALL THE AWARDS IT EARNED” I mean it!

I don’t think that there will be a successful score more than this one and I also believe that everyone didn’t enjoy this soundtrack, he/she should go to a psychiatrist immediately.

And the most important thing that made me love this score was the great, amazing and fantastic movie that entered a lot of people hearts around the world and lived in their memories.

One more thing, I’d like to thank this great person, James Horner, for all what he gives the music listeners of joy, happiness and enjoying scores that will never ever be forgotten.
=



Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Danny French
<Send E-Mail>
(acba4ba4.ipt.aol.com)

  In Response to:
Anas Assaad

  Responses to this Comment:
Mohammad Raza
Re: I love Titanic   Saturday, November 2, 2002 (2:59 p.m.) 

> Horner? What can I say about him? He’s just the best score maker ever.

Very apt! Score *maker* - not *composer*! A shoe*maker* manufactures shoes out of pre-existing materials. Maybe the shoemaker fashioned the materials or maybe he purchased or stole them from elsewhere. Then he picks them up in the combinations that he knows will make an acceptable shoe, and sews them together to make a shoe very similar to all the other shoes he's made out of those particular components. If he makes a good shoe with a particular type of leather, why not use it again? Never really changing his materials or basic construction technique, he can be sure that the shoes he produces will continue to be popular. >

> Actually I bought “The Lord Of the Rings” soundtrack, but it didn’t
> impress me as “Titanic” and “Back To Titanic” did.

Are you implying that LOTR was a Horner effort? It was not, sir - it was *composed* by Howard Shore.

> I don’t think that there will be a successful score more than this one and
> I also believe that everyone didn’t enjoy this soundtrack, he/she should
> go to a psychiatrist immediately.

I believe you are right. Titanic appeals to the masses - the lowest common denominator. I didn't enjoy it - I thought it was the most obnoxious pile of steaming horse manure and I'll tell you why.

It's 1) Cheesy, 2) Repetitive, 3) Annoying, 4) Badly scored, 5) Synthesised for no good reason, and finally 6) Inappropriate. Also it sounds almost indisginguishable from every single other score Horner "fashioned" in the last ten years. That electronic choir is ridiculous - it sounds utterly cheap and is wholly inappropriate for use in a film set in the early 20th Century!

I will admit that it does have *some* inspired moments. But make no mistake, an awful lot of it is meandering children's music that wouldn't be out of place in Casper. Anybody notice that Deep Impact (a totally different film set in a totally different time period about a totally different subject) of one year later is an almost direct theft from Titanic?

Repeat after me: Horner is a *THIEF*, he's *PATRONISING*, his electronics are *SICKENING*.

> And the most important thing that made me love this score was the great,
> amazing and fantastic movie that entered a lot of people hearts around the
> world and lived in their memories.

It lives in mine as another Hollywood attempt at re-writing history - an overlong, self congratulatory vehicle for the director which makes me sick to my stomach. It was an ill-conceived, outstandingly expensive bucket of horse manure. By the way, my mum loves both film and score... *growls*

> One more thing, I’d like to thank this great person, James Horner, for all
> what he gives the music listeners of joy, happiness and enjoying scores
> that will never ever be forgotten.

He makes damn sure it will never be forgotton! You can't remember a Horner theme? Don't panic, it'll show up in the film he scores next year! Horner has plagiarised his own music right from his second score. In his first score, he plagiarised from Russian classical composers!

Don't get me wrong - some of Horner's earlier scores I quite enjoy - Krull, Star Trek II and III, for example. But Titanic can walk the plank.

^^^ My opinion - to which I am entitled just as you are yours. No hard feelings, my friend. I think Horner is shite, but that's life!

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Mohammad Raza
<Send E-Mail>
(iota.wwwcache.cam.ac.uk)

  In Response to:
Danny French
Re: I love Titanic   Monday, November 25, 2002 (12:25 p.m.) 

Nah, I'm still convinced that Horner Rules

> Very apt! Score *maker* - not *composer*! A shoe*maker* manufactures shoes
> out of pre-existing materials. Maybe the shoemaker fashioned the materials
> or maybe he purchased or stole them from elsewhere. Then he picks them up
> in the combinations that he knows will make an acceptable shoe, and sews
> them together to make a shoe very similar to all the other shoes he's made
> out of those particular components. If he makes a good shoe with a
> particular type of leather, why not use it again? Never really changing
> his materials or basic construction technique, he can be sure that the
> shoes he produces will continue to be popular. >

> Are you implying that LOTR was a Horner effort? It was not, sir - it was
> *composed* by Howard Shore.

> I believe you are right. Titanic appeals to the masses - the lowest common
> denominator. I didn't enjoy it - I thought it was the most obnoxious pile
> of steaming horse manure and I'll tell you why.

> It's 1) Cheesy, 2) Repetitive, 3) Annoying, 4) Badly scored, 5)
> Synthesised for no good reason, and finally 6) Inappropriate. Also it
> sounds almost indisginguishable from every single other score Horner
> "fashioned" in the last ten years. That electronic choir is
> ridiculous - it sounds utterly cheap and is wholly inappropriate for use
> in a film set in the early 20th Century!

> I will admit that it does have *some* inspired moments. But make no
> mistake, an awful lot of it is meandering children's music that wouldn't
> be out of place in Casper. Anybody notice that Deep Impact (a totally
> different film set in a totally different time period about a totally
> different subject) of one year later is an almost direct theft from
> Titanic?

> Repeat after me: Horner is a *THIEF*, he's *PATRONISING*, his electronics
> are *SICKENING*.

> It lives in mine as another Hollywood attempt at re-writing history - an
> overlong, self congratulatory vehicle for the director which makes me sick
> to my stomach. It was an ill-conceived, outstandingly expensive bucket of
> horse manure. By the way, my mum loves both film and score... *growls*

> He makes damn sure it will never be forgotton! You can't remember a Horner
> theme? Don't panic, it'll show up in the film he scores next year! Horner
> has plagiarised his own music right from his second score. In his first
> score, he plagiarised from Russian classical composers!

> Don't get me wrong - some of Horner's earlier scores I quite enjoy -
> Krull, Star Trek II and III, for example. But Titanic can walk the plank.

> ^^^ My opinion - to which I am entitled just as you are yours. No hard
> feelings, my friend. I think Horner is shite, but that's life!


Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


james
(dig-223.wcta.net)

  In Response to:
Anas Assaad
Re: I love Titanic   Saturday, November 2, 2002 (8:33 p.m.) 

Well, I didn't like it! And I don't need a psychiatrist, and I wont need one as long as I don't listen to it.



Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display



Copyright © 1998-2019, Filmtracks Publications. All rights reserved.
The reviews and other textual content contained on the filmtracks.com site may not be published, broadcast,
rewritten or redistributed without the prior written authority of Christian Clemmensen at Filmtracks Publications. Scoreboard created 7/24/98 and last updated 4/25/15.