SUPPORT FILMTRACKS! CLICK HERE FIRST:
Amazon.com
Amazon.co.uk
iTunes (U.S.)
Amazon.ca
Amazon.fr
eBay (U.S.)
Amazon.de
Amazon.es
Half.com
Glisten Effect
Editorial Reviews
Scoreboard Forum
Viewer Ratings
Composers
Awards
   NEWEST MAJOR REVIEWS:
     1. Godzilla: King of the Monsters
    2. Aladdin (2019)
   3. Pokémon Detective Pikachu
  4. Avengers: Endgame
 5. Shazam!
6. Dumbo
   CURRENT MOST POPULAR REVIEWS:
         1. Gladiator
        2. Batman
       3. Nightmare Before Christmas
      4. Titanic
     5. Justice League
    6. Star Wars: The Last Jedi
   7. Harry Potter: Sorcerer's Stone
  8. Maleficent
 9. Star Wars: The Force Awakens
10. Edward Scissorhands
Home Page
Menu Options ▼
Comments about the soundtrack for Star Wars: Attack of the Clones (John Williams)
Words of a real fan

Michael Walton
(1cust51.tnt1.macon.ga.da.uu.net)


  Responses to this Comment:
Trenton Bennett
MSM
Andy F
Words of a real fan   Monday, May 27, 2002 (9:43 p.m.) 

Im an avid star wars fan since I was five. When I saw those spaceships flyin' across the screen I fell in love with the movies. In 97' when I heard about the new trilogy, I nearly wet my pants from excitemnet. So 99' rolled around and I saw the Phantom Menace. I liked it, but I was a bit dissapointed. It lacked quite a bit from the old trilogy, for example, the humor. In the old Star Wars the humor came from the interaction of the droids. The humor was really corny sometimes, but its was funny. Episode I had Jar Jar Binks... enough said. Plus it kinda plodded along in some areas. But all in all, it was good. Episode II Attack of the Clones was far better than Episode I. The action scenes are awsome and well put together. The soundtrack is the best I've heard from Williams in while. The soundtrack really brings forward the dark emotions that you beggining to feel. Hayden, the guy who played Anakin, did a pretty good job. Give the kid a break, he hasn't had that much acting expirence, he's not Sir Alec Guiness. Ewan Mcgregor, however, dose an outstnding job. He even sounds like SIR Alec sometimes. The love story in this movie think is done well, however, I don't think It'll ever beat the Han and Leia love story. And the humor. YES! IT'S BACK! That corny Threepio and R2-d2 humor. Thats more like it. Thats the humor I wanted. Jar Jar barely even attempted anything remotely funny. Witch is good, very veery good. Jar Jar, belive or not, is actually kinda tolerable. He's in the movie very little this time, so those of you just who just hate to even look at him, well, your prayers were answered, kinda.
Attack of the Clones was a very good movie. Don't listen to the crttics. They have no idea what their talking about. Infact, one of the dose not even like Star Wars , not even the origionals. She shouldn
't even be allowed to review the movie. Some older fans are kinda upset because they aren't getting that giddy feeling when they saw it as a kid, and sometimes, you can't get that feeling back ever again no matter how good something is. And thats what I think is the problem with the people who giving bad reviews. Don't listen to them. You don't have to listen to me either. But I like Star Wars for what it is. All stories have a slow part. This only the second act. The third will be awesome. By the way, fans of Yoda will get a real kick out watching Yoda kick DOOKU'S butt!



Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Trenton Bennett
<Send E-Mail>
(aca887f3.ipt.aol.com)

  In Response to:
Michael Walton

  Responses to this Comment:
Dogan Bilge
Re: Words of a real fan   Tuesday, May 28, 2002 (4:06 a.m.) 

> Im an avid star wars fan since I was five. When I saw those spaceships
> flyin' across the screen I fell in love with the movies. In 97' when I
> heard about the new trilogy, I nearly wet my pants from excitemnet. So 99'
> rolled around and I saw the Phantom Menace. I liked it, but I was a bit
> dissapointed. It lacked quite a bit from the old trilogy, for example, the
> humor. In the old Star Wars the humor came from the interaction of the
> droids. The humor was really corny sometimes, but its was funny. Episode I
> had Jar Jar Binks... enough said. Plus it kinda plodded along in some
> areas. But all in all, it was good. Episode II Attack of the Clones was
> far better than Episode I. The action scenes are awsome and well put
> together. The soundtrack is the best I've heard from Williams in while.
> The soundtrack really brings forward the dark emotions that you beggining
> to feel. Hayden, the guy who played Anakin, did a pretty good job. Give
> the kid a break, he hasn't had that much acting expirence, he's not Sir
> Alec Guiness. Ewan Mcgregor, however, dose an outstnding job. He even
> sounds like SIR Alec sometimes. The love story in this movie think is done
> well, however, I don't think It'll ever beat the Han and Leia love story.
> And the humor. YES! IT'S BACK! That corny Threepio and R2-d2 humor. Thats
> more like it. Thats the humor I wanted. Jar Jar barely even attempted
> anything remotely funny. Witch is good, very veery good. Jar Jar, belive
> or not, is actually kinda tolerable. He's in the movie very little this
> time, so those of you just who just hate to even look at him, well, your
> prayers were answered, kinda.
Attack of the Clones was a very good
> movie. Don't listen to the crttics. They have no idea what their talking
> about. Infact, one of the dose not even like Star Wars , not even the
> origionals. She shouldn
't even be allowed to review the movie. Some
> older fans are kinda upset because they aren't getting that giddy feeling
> when they saw it as a kid, and sometimes, you can't get that feeling back
> ever again no matter how good something is. And thats what I think is the
> problem with the people who giving bad reviews. Don't listen to them. You
> don't have to listen to me either. But I like Star Wars for what it is.
> All stories have a slow part. This only the second act. The third will be
> awesome. By the way, fans of Yoda will get a real kick out watching Yoda
> kick DOOKU'S butt!

I couldn't agree more with you man.

Trent


Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Dogan Bilge
<Send E-Mail>
(212.252.6.205)

  In Response to:
Trenton Bennett

  Responses to this Comment:
Matthew
Read This   Thursday, May 30, 2002 (8:38 a.m.) 

Having read all these opinions, I'm going to write a very detailed opinion of mine about AOTC.
First, I also love Star Wars movies, believe it or not, Episode 1 is my favorite so far but I'm going to discuss it after a while.
We have waited 3 years for AOTC, and about 6 months after the first teaser, I was so much excited to see it especially after the last long trailer. I bought tickets to the premiere, it was 21:45, the movie began and BAM the first scene was absolutely fake, after the explosion of the naboo cruiser Padme ran and talked to her decoy before she dies about 15 seconds instead of running away from the scene, a stupid dramatical dialogue "You did your duty, Corde did hers, now come". I don't know if I'm too much strict but I didn't like the scene and after that as beign said in this thread, after yoda says he's happy to see Padme alive, she immediately asks "Do you have any idea who's behind this attack?" It was maybe the worst example of a dialogue I heard in a Star Wars movie, and then again when Obi and Anakin were in the elevator. Stupid dialogue, saying absolutely nothing. There were lots of more examples of bad dialogue in the movie.

Special Effects, I must say that Episode 1 was more successful with the effects. It had Podrace sequence which was a breakthrough in that time. No such believable 3D landscape was done before and the sequence really ruled although we knew Anakin was going to win. It had also the best short action cue Williams ever wrote.
In AOTC, there were great effects but there were also some really bad ones. That's why I said TPM was more successful. Episode 1 didn't have any bad ones.
The picnic scene, when Anakin falls down from a bad looking animal, it was too much fake. Also in the arena when he was riding a triceratops-like creature, it was again toooooo much fake. Also the compositions of humans onto 3D ground was looking fake. The animals were ok.
AND the funny factory scene which was the most disturbing scene in the movie for me. It disturbed me from every point of view. When I saw a computer generated C3PO it looked really bad because the only nice thing about his look is his mechanic movements but when he fell down, it was no longer a puppet but a CGI creature which was moving like an animal, so smoooth. It looked really bad.

Music: I wrote more than 5 times before about the music. Ok, it was good in the CD but not as good as any Star Wars score before. It was like a average Williams score with only one good theme and with only one ok action cue. The rest was exactly like filled up with really average Williams music. Zam chase music is good, I like the love theme although I think it's not one of the best themes Williams wrote and I like the arena music in the CD, not that good but listenable. The rest, I don't listen at all, too boring because it has nothing what a good score must have. Phantom Menace score was absolutely perfect. It was 100% perfect with the movie and in the CD. It had lots of new themes, especially Anakin's theme was wonderful, Duel Of The Fates was really incredible and it fits in the action, and then 3 action cues, each one was great, especially the podrace music, it was so much tense. And there was no "wrong" music in the movie. Every motive has been used in the correct moment, TPM was one of the best filmmaking success from the point of music editing. In AOTC as beign written so much in this discussion, the mixing was absolutely horrible. No more words on that. And again, use of TPM music was again horrible, it was so much disrespect to Mr. Williams. I was really upset.

Acting: I mostly liked Hayden. His performance was really good, I didn't expect that much from him. Ewan also ok. But I didn't like Portman's action. I liked her look a lot btw.
When Hayden was carrying his mother in his arms, his looks were great. I mean overall the acting was not disturbing in any point. This is not "Cast Away" anyway.

Humour: Horrible. I was also happy to see the old C3PO and R2D2 humour but not in this way. The head of a droid on 3CPO's body? COME ON! So much foolish humour. Only a 5 year old child would laugh so childish humour. Even Jar Jar wasn't so childish in TPM. In fact, I really liked Jar Jar in TPM. He was a really good developed character in the movie. It became one of the most sympatic creatures in Star Wars world for me in my first watch. And the stupid Obi Wan humour was also bad I think. Lucas put humour in every scene, it's just not acceptable for me. Even the arena, when I watch battle I want to watch only battle in a serious mood. I don't want to hear "Die Jedi Dogs" immediately after I see a Jedi dying in the arena or a little boy sees his father's head chopped off. And again in the scene where Obi Wan speaks to the Kamino prime minister. That scene was also good in a way and bad in a way. The CGI and the lightning was incredible, the look of the Kamino people was also really good. It was an interesting to watch scene but in that atmosphere I don't want to hear "That's why I'm here" from Obi Wan with a kiddy smile in his face. He's a Jedi, not a clown.

Action: Some good, but mostly bad!
Zam Chase, I really liked. It was semi-tense scene and it does its job in the movie. Jango's escape scene, it was good because it had some things happening in the scene, not just lightsabers and guns. I really liked when Obi Wan catches the block with the rope and then opens the door using the Force. And the strategy Jango used for escaping. That scene was nicely designed and nicely shot sequence. But it was not perfect. The music is good but not excellent. Williams could write more interesting music for that sequence, I'm sure. And some of the effects in the scene were fake, especially the movement of Obi when he was swingning on the edge of the rope, the move was too CGI looking. I didn't like it.

Arena was not good. It had no planning at all. First I saw 2 Jedi's and a Senator in front of some animals. That was not good. Everybody knows you can't kill a Jedi with animals. Come on. Just for adding some humour filled sequence to the film Lucas put some animals and chains in that scene. The opening was foolish and it was not well shot in any way. I don't think Lucas did a good job directing that scene. After that I was wondering how the Jedi's would fight against an army of droids, but there was no suprise. They just opened their lightsabers and ran into the droids. I didn't see any usage of the force except a clown-like Jedi force-pushed C3PO. Imagine how great things those Jedi's could do with the force in that scene. These man can jump, can run, can do anything with the force. But they just didn't do anything in that scene. And the sequence was cut to pieces with humour elements as I mentioned before. I don't like humour in a serious war sequence. It isn't just right. This is not good filmmaking. The battle after the arena was too short and again lacking any planning. Anakin screaps "Aim to the fuel cells" How suprising, how clever, great war strategy. It also was wrong. After showing those circle like droid tanks firing lots of rockets we see in the control room the leader saying that they are in a bad position. Even those small things were wrong for a battle. When you hear that words from a leader they really must be in a bad position but as Lucas showed they were not. We saw droid ships fall down but we also saw Republic tanks explode in a equal quantity. That war should have been better. The wars in every other episode were too much better than this one. Especially Battle Of Hoth and TPM battle. The astreoid sequence and the factory sequence were foolish, they didn't have any contribution to the story or to the characters. The movie would look better without the factory scene.

Overall, every scene must have a certain mood. Even the scene when Anakin's mother dies in his arms is not well shot and well planned scene. Besides the foolish dialogue (again), the acting was not good. I really couldn't believe that woman was dying in that scene or just squeeking.
Again, a movie should have a certain mood. You watch a serious scene, you don't want humour in it. You watch a war, you don't want humour in it.
The first 3 movies were more serious than TPM or this one but even TPM was more serious filmmaking than this.
This movie didn't have any mood and it fails as a movie before it fails as a Star Wars for me.

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Matthew
<Send E-Mail>
(dial-111.r4.ncreed.infoave.net)
Profile Picture
  In Response to:
Dogan Bilge

  Responses to this Comment:
Dogan Bilge
Re: Read This   Wednesday, June 19, 2002 (6:08 p.m.) 

(!) You think that TPM had great music editing!? Have you listened to the Ultimate Edition lately? It was completely hacked to pieces! It was a total disservice to Mr. Williams. As for your assesment of the film, while I will agree that the movie wasn't perfect, it sounds as though you went looking for problems. Clones may not be Oscar material, but it is an entertaining film and a worthy addition to Star Wars. It answered many of our questions, and raised many more, and gave us a glimpse into Star Wars lore that we have been wanting to find out since the clone wars were first mentioned in A New Hope 25 years ago. Yes, it has its flaws, but that shouldn't ruin your enjoyment of the film. AI: Artificial Intelligence had flaws, but I still enjoyed it. If you want to know how I assess things, here are my grades for the movies I have seen so far this year.

ET The Extra-Terrestrial - A+
Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood - A+
Windtalkers - A
Attack of the Clones - A-
Spiderman - A-
The Rookie - B+
We Were Soldiers - B+
The Sum of All Fears - C+
Scooby-Doo - D

Hope this gives you an idea of my tastes, and might add some credibility to my opinions.

BTW - the best film of last year was In the Bedroom, and my favorite was Gosford Park. At least now you get an idea of what I like, so maybe my assesment of AOTC isn't all that wrong.

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Dogan Bilge
<Send E-Mail>
(212.252.6.205)

  In Response to:
Matthew
Re: Read This   Thursday, June 20, 2002 (1:16 a.m.) 

> (!) You think that TPM had great music editing!? Have you listened to the
> Ultimate Edition lately? It was completely hacked to pieces! It was a
> total disservice to Mr. Williams. As for your assesment of the film, while
> I will agree that the movie wasn't perfect, it sounds as though you went
> looking for problems. Clones may not be Oscar material, but it is an
> entertaining film and a worthy addition to Star Wars. It answered many of
> our questions, and raised many more, and gave us a glimpse into Star Wars
> lore that we have been wanting to find out since the clone wars were first
> mentioned in A New Hope 25 years ago. Yes, it has its flaws, but that
> shouldn't ruin your enjoyment of the film. AI: Artificial Intelligence had
> flaws, but I still enjoyed it. If you want to know how I assess things,
> here are my grades for the movies I have seen so far this year.

> ET The Extra-Terrestrial - A+
Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood -
> A+
Windtalkers - A
Attack of the Clones - A-
Spiderman - A-
>
The Rookie - B+
We Were Soldiers - B+
The Sum of All Fears -
> C+
Scooby-Doo - D

> Hope this gives you an idea of my tastes, and might add some credibility
> to my opinions.

> BTW - the best film of last year was In the Bedroom, and my favorite was
> Gosford Park. At least now you get an idea of what I like, so maybe my
> assesment of AOTC isn't all that wrong.

First, TPM had great editing, the 2 CD edition had the music exactly like it was cut in the movie, that's why it was cut in so many pieces, it was exactly a isolated score for the movie and it wasn't that bad, I listen to the last 30 minutes of the second CD a lot because it has an action music which doesn't stop at all and it's really good, still the first edition was filled with great suites, it is a really nice CD to listen any time.

And the fact is, I never go and look for flaws in movies but I can't help it, I really can't, once I see any flaw and then another one and so on, I can't enjoy that movie anymore, that happens because I expect too much from a movie like Star Wars and I really like Phantom Menace, it had so few flaws as a movie, it was a really really good action movie and had really nice scenes and as filmmaking I think it was quite successful. And here is my taste of movies

E.T. and Contact the best movies ever made
A.I. 9 out of 10
Jurassic Park 9 out of 10
T2 9 out of 10
Aliens 9 out of 10
Matrix 8 out of 10
Any Robert Zemeckis film like Cast Away or What Lies Beneath are incredible work of directing and editing, any Spielberg film like Amistad or Shindler's List is filled with humanity and they both are really successful as filmmaking and there are some scenes only Spielberg can shoot that way, any James Cameron movie is 8 out 10 definitely, Titanic was a nice journey, 9 out 10.

So, I also don't consider Star Wars as oscar movie but lots of those movie above are also not oscar movies but don't have so much flaws, especially, in Contact there is only a 2 second interval I don't like, 2 seconds in 2.5 hours, that's flawless in some sense.



Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


MSM
(pc113b.farmedu.rug.nl)

  In Response to:
Michael Walton
Re: Words of a real fan   Tuesday, May 28, 2002 (7:35 a.m.) 

Please could you talk somewhat more nuanced? You sounds like you're really frustrated we discuss some bad points about the movie (and the music). Of course for the most part we are Star Wars fans I think, maybe not since we are five, but we are! Otherwise we wouldn't have been here. But as a fan, are you not allowed to critizise some aspects? I'm sure you too have certain points at which you think Ep. II could have been better. For example, as to the humour, you said you liked the old humour, and you like the old humour being back in AotC, but do you also like the NEW humour?? Like C3PO's head on a droid.
And what do you think about the music of Ep. I being used in AotC? I'm certain you have a deeper opinion about this than "it's just all good".

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Andy F
<Send E-Mail>
(cok-sc1-68.rasserver.net)

  In Response to:
Michael Walton

  Responses to this Comment:
roberto
Re: Words of a real fan   Tuesday, May 28, 2002 (4:20 p.m.) 

> Im an avid star wars fan since I was five. When I saw those spaceships
> flyin' across the screen I fell in love with the movies. In 97' when I
> heard about the new trilogy, I nearly wet my pants from excitemnet. So 99'
> rolled around and I saw the Phantom Menace. I liked it, but I was a bit
> dissapointed. It lacked quite a bit from the old trilogy, for example, the
> humor. In the old Star Wars the humor came from the interaction of the
> droids. The humor was really corny sometimes, but its was funny. Episode I
> had Jar Jar Binks... enough said. Plus it kinda plodded along in some
> areas. But all in all, it was good. Episode II Attack of the Clones was
> far better than Episode I. The action scenes are awsome and well put
> together. The soundtrack is the best I've heard from Williams in while.
> The soundtrack really brings forward the dark emotions that you beggining
> to feel. Hayden, the guy who played Anakin, did a pretty good job. Give
> the kid a break, he hasn't had that much acting expirence, he's not Sir
> Alec Guiness. Ewan Mcgregor, however, dose an outstnding job. He even
> sounds like SIR Alec sometimes. The love story in this movie think is done
> well, however, I don't think It'll ever beat the Han and Leia love story.
> And the humor. YES! IT'S BACK! That corny Threepio and R2-d2 humor. Thats
> more like it. Thats the humor I wanted. Jar Jar barely even attempted
> anything remotely funny. Witch is good, very veery good. Jar Jar, belive
> or not, is actually kinda tolerable. He's in the movie very little this
> time, so those of you just who just hate to even look at him, well, your
> prayers were answered, kinda.
Attack of the Clones was a very good
> movie. Don't listen to the crttics. They have no idea what their talking
> about. Infact, one of the dose not even like Star Wars , not even the
> origionals. She shouldn
't even be allowed to review the movie. Some
> older fans are kinda upset because they aren't getting that giddy feeling
> when they saw it as a kid, and sometimes, you can't get that feeling back
> ever again no matter how good something is. And thats what I think is the
> problem with the people who giving bad reviews. Don't listen to them. You
> don't have to listen to me either. But I like Star Wars for what it is.
> All stories have a slow part. This only the second act. The third will be
> awesome. By the way, fans of Yoda will get a real kick out watching Yoda
> kick DOOKU'S butt!

I'm so frigging sick of hearing about how Attack of the Clones is a great movie. Not just average, not just good, but GREAT. Please stop kidding yourselves, it's not. I've seen it three times, enough to thoroughly soak it in. I've enjoyed it each time, but it's in no way a good example of the filmmaking technique. Watch the first trilogy, especially ESB to get a feel for real character interaction and development. Those are great, great movies. Attack of the Clones, while entertaining and generally harmless, pales in comparison. So much of the dialogue is devoted to exposition and plot development while character interactions were placed in the background. Wouldn't you like to know more about the master Jedi who will be killed in the next film? What about the Lars family on Tatooine? Don't these people talk to each other?!?!?! The only major character development scenes of the film involved Anakin-Obi-Wan and Anakin-Padme. Unfortunately, these were either cut to short or mishandled by Lucas and Hales. The dialogue in a lot of scenes was just plain wooden. In addition, like TPM, the film lacked something necessary to a Star Wars film, a clear-cut villain. Christopher Lee is great, but the Dooku character is painfully underdeveloped, we know so little about him. I've read the early draft of the screenplay which fleshed out aspects of his past that would have made his character so much more interesting. All we have in the film is a bad guy who limp-wristedly shoots lightning at our heroes. Not bad, but it could have been more. Even though the fan boys lurking on this board will already roast me at the stake for what I've said, I will take a moment to highlight some of the film's better qualities:
Acting: Not as bad as most say, Lucas is a fine director, he just needs to write dialogue that develops the characters as well as advances the story. I really enjoyed Hayden has Anakin, especially his scenes of anger, powerful stuff. Notice how stifled he got when cut-off by Amidala in the Naboo palace, or his loss of temper with Zam Wessell? This was excellent, but limited, character development. Natalie was much more animated than in the last film; her performance was good, but not excellent, not igniting like Carrie Fisher in the first 2 films. Ewan Macgregor was flawless, perfectly capturing the sage-like, no-nonsense attitude of Obi-Wan, he carries the film. The various other actors do well with what they're given, but since they're given little, we can't see their characters grow beyond the two dimensional roles of say...manipulative Chancellor or mysterious bounty hunter.
Music: Absolutely wonderful...when it wasn't hacked to pieces in the editing room. The breathtaking action piece on the Conveyer Belt was butchered, why did Lucas put Yoda's theme in that section of the film?! Stupid. I can understand his precedent for tracking on battle music from TPM into the arena and land battles; it was done before at spots in the original trilogy. However, itís an insult to John Williams to ask him to compose a good 20 minutes of score and then replace it with older music or silence.
Special Effects: Flawless, enough said.

To conclude this analysis of the film and the reaction from the legions of people who rave about it, get a grip on yourselves. This film, in terms of quality, lags behind recent science fiction films like Dark City, Twelve Monkeys, or even the Iron Giant. Those films took a dynamic approach towards developing their characters and contain much better dialogue. Even look at previous Lucas projects like the Indiana Jones films or more importantly, the Star Wars films that he brought outside writers to work on such as Lawrence Kasdan. I appreciate George Lucas as a visionary and even a decent director, but his writing skills beyond constructing a basic story are poor at best. I love that critics are getting hate mail and death threats for having the audacity to question the quality of Lucas' work. How insecure are Star Wars fans?! Instead of berating these people or denying what they have to say, perhaps think about their points. I love Star Wars and wish I could have seen the first trilogy back in the 70s-80s. But honestly, Attack of the Clones amounts to very little beyond typical Hollywood fare. It is not the second coming of Christ and it is certainly not a great film. It is hard pressed to be called a good film. When a man spends 120 million dollars on a film, would you think he'd have the sense to hire a writer to make punch up the dialogue and give the characters some added dimension? Wouldn't making a film that is both entertaining and strong cinema be an added bonus?! Yes Lucas says critics have never liked Star Wars, and it doesn't matter. People, including myself, will go to the theater in droves; but letís at least recognize it for what it is, and not delusionally build up the experience.


Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


roberto
<Send E-Mail>
(ac9e5a79.ipt.aol.com)

  In Response to:
Andy F

  Responses to this Comment:
Michael McDaid
Re: Words of a real fan   Tuesday, May 28, 2002 (10:42 p.m.) 

Attack of the Clones was a very good
't even be allowed to review the
> movie. Some

> I'm so frigging sick of hearing about how Attack of the Clones is a great
> movie. Not just average, not just good, but GREAT. Please stop kidding
> yourselves, it's not. I've seen it three times, enough to thoroughly soak
> it in. I've enjoyed it each time, but it's in no way a good example of the
> filmmaking technique. Watch the first trilogy, especially ESB to get a
> feel for real character interaction and development. Those are great,
> great movies. Attack of the Clones, while entertaining and generally
> harmless, pales in comparison. So much of the dialogue is devoted to
> exposition and plot development while character interactions were placed
> in the background. Wouldn't you like to know more about the master Jedi
> who will be killed in the next film? What about the Lars family on
> Tatooine? Don't these people talk to each other?!?!?! The only major
> character development scenes of the film involved Anakin-Obi-Wan and
> Anakin-Padme. Unfortunately, these were either cut to short or mishandled
> by Lucas and Hales. The dialogue in a lot of scenes was just plain wooden.
> In addition, like TPM, the film lacked something necessary to a Star Wars
> film, a clear-cut villain. Christopher Lee is great, but the Dooku
> character is painfully underdeveloped, we know so little about him. I've
> read the early draft of the screenplay which fleshed out aspects of his
> past that would have made his character so much more interesting. All we
> have in the film is a bad guy who limp-wristedly shoots lightning at our
> heroes. Not bad, but it could have been more. Even though the fan boys
> lurking on this board will already roast me at the stake for what I've
> said, I will take a moment to highlight some of the film's better
> qualities:
Acting: Not as bad as most say, Lucas is a fine director,
> he just needs to write dialogue that develops the characters as well as
> advances the story. I really enjoyed Hayden has Anakin, especially his
> scenes of anger, powerful stuff. Notice how stifled he got when cut-off by
> Amidala in the Naboo palace, or his loss of temper with Zam Wessell? This
> was excellent, but limited, character development. Natalie was much more
> animated than in the last film; her performance was good, but not
> excellent, not igniting like Carrie Fisher in the first 2 films. Ewan
> Macgregor was flawless, perfectly capturing the sage-like, no-nonsense
> attitude of Obi-Wan, he carries the film. The various other actors do well
> with what they're given, but since they're given little, we can't see
> their characters grow beyond the two dimensional roles of
> say...manipulative Chancellor or mysterious bounty hunter.
Music:
> Absolutely wonderful...when it wasn't hacked to pieces in the editing
> room. The breathtaking action piece on the Conveyer Belt was butchered,
> why did Lucas put Yoda's theme in that section of the film?! Stupid. I can
> understand his precedent for tracking on battle music from TPM into the
> arena and land battles; it was done before at spots in the original
> trilogy. However, itís an insult to John Williams to ask him to compose a
> good 20 minutes of score and then replace it with older music or silence.
>
Special Effects: Flawless, enough said.

> To conclude this analysis of the film and the reaction from the legions of
> people who rave about it, get a grip on yourselves. This film, in terms of
> quality, lags behind recent science fiction films like Dark City, Twelve
> Monkeys, or even the Iron Giant. Those films took a dynamic approach
> towards developing their characters and contain much better dialogue. Even
> look at previous Lucas projects like the Indiana Jones films or more
> importantly, the Star Wars films that he brought outside writers to work
> on such as Lawrence Kasdan. I appreciate George Lucas as a visionary and
> even a decent director, but his writing skills beyond constructing a basic
> story are poor at best. I love that critics are getting hate mail and
> death threats for having the audacity to question the quality of Lucas'
> work. How insecure are Star Wars fans?! Instead of berating these people
> or denying what they have to say, perhaps think about their points. I love
> Star Wars and wish I could have seen the first trilogy back in the
> 70s-80s. But honestly, Attack of the Clones amounts to very little beyond
> typical Hollywood fare. It is not the second coming of Christ and it is
> certainly not a great film. It is hard pressed to be called a good film.
> When a man spends 120 million dollars on a film, would you think he'd have
> the sense to hire a writer to make punch up the dialogue and give the
> characters some added dimension? Wouldn't making a film that is both
> entertaining and strong cinema be an added bonus?! Yes Lucas says critics
> have never liked Star Wars, and it doesn't matter. People, including
> myself, will go to the theater in droves; but letís at least recognize it
> for what it is, and not delusionally build up the experience.

I respect and agree with a few things stated above. I have seen the movie seven times (I loved it), and the last three or four times I looked closely at the details: love story and dialogue, music, etc. Here are the things I can remember which I didn't like or could have been better:

- Obi-Wan's attempt for humor, when he says: "Oh, yes... (and laughs)" in the elevator with Anakin. It sounded too fake. Besides that, I completely loved Ewan's performance.

- Yoda: "Seeing you alive brings warm feelings to my heart." Sounds a little stupid (just my opinion). But then Padme asks "Do you have any idea who's behind this attacks?" . Maybe she should have been more polite and saying "Thank you for concern, Master Yoda" or something like that would have been nice.

- Jimmy Smith didn't get to do practically anything in the movie.

- Jar Jar expresses how happy he is to see Anakin, but Anakin talks about Padme.

- When Obi-Wan meets Boba and Jango Fett: Ewan's performance was good. Temuera and Logan's performances, not quite the same. (Maybe I am being very picky at this point?)

- Picnic scene was ok, but could have been a little better I believe. When Anakin falls from the Shaak: a bit too corny, but I guess it's a love scene after all.

- The scene after dinner, when Anakin and Padme are in that dark room: dialogue is a little weird but not bad. The tone is different from the love story between Leia and Han. That doesn't mean it is a bad love story. Some people think it was too short and rushed. Other people think the love story was too long. I thought it was about right. Besides, I wouldn't want them to talk exactly like Han and Leia. And this is Hayden's first big movie. He did pretty good.

- Anakin's nightmare: not necessary. I would have cut it off the movie.

- Asteroid field sequence: doesn't add much to the storyline. To me, it doesn't matter much that Jango and Boba think they killed Obi-Wan. When they left Kamino, they didn't know they were being tracked, so they thought Obi-Wan did not know where they were going anyway.

- Beru and Owen don't talk much, but I guess we will get to know more of them in the next film. We have to, because we never get to know them well in Episode IV either.

- We never really know why the Viceroy wanted to kill Padme. She was against the creation of a Republic Army, which is actually good for the separatists... Hopefully we will know why in Episode III.

- Dooku's first line, when he sees Obi-Wan: "Oh no, they've gone too far, this is madness...". I know it was supposed to be sarcastic, but it sounded awful.

- Some of 3PO's jokes during the battle: "Die Jedi dogs!", "Excuse me, I am trapped and can't get up". Too many jokes during the battle, and how can a droid have dreams?

- I hope they explain why R2D2 never flies in the other Star Wars episodes. That was cool in Ep. 2, though.

- Anakin's battle with two light sabers was too short.

- Yoda jumps around a bit too much, for his age. But the sequence was pretty cool.

- Soundtrack from Episode I during battle. I noticed this right away, the first time I watched Ep. 2. I was really dissapointed about this.

- The use of the droid army theme when the clone army is introduced in Kamino, when Obi-Wan is watching.

Despite these few details, I really LOVED this movie (that's why I have seen it so many times). To me it is the best Star Wars so far. After that, this is the order in which I like them: V, VI, I, IV. I like episodes V and VI almost the same. They have the best drama. Episodes II, VI, and I have the best action. Episode IV is ok, but, after seeing the other episodes, it feels too enclosed in a small region, no too much scope, kind of claustrophobic, like Lucas himself said. And Vader's personality is not well developed as it was in Episodes V and VI.

Things I especially liked about Episode 2:
- Action sequences: beggining of Clone Wars, arena, light saber duels, Obi vs Jango, speeder chase.
- Special effects.
- New characters, like Dex, the younglings, etc.
- Yoda's personality: much better than in Episode I with his duel with Dooku, and he is funnier than ever. I like his lines about the Jedi arrogance, because I have always thought the same thing, especially because of Luke in ESB and ROTJ, and also the jedi council in TPM. Now I feel even sadder when I see him die in ROTJ.
- Yoda looks better as a digital character than as a puppet in Ep. I
- Padme and Dorme looked beautiful.
- Padme and Anakin's love story helps us understand how Anakin started showing some of those "dark feelings", but at the same time we see how much pain he had, and how much good actually was in him, as Luke knew.
- Anakin's talk with Palpatine, because we see the relationship that already has started between them.
- The death of Shmi was horribly painful, and I thought it depicted well how much Anakin was suffering. I have to point out that at last we see much more real crying and tears in a Star Wars movie, so the pain and suffering looks more real. Compare when Luke saw his uncle and aunt killed or when Leia saw Han being frozen or when her home planet, Alderaan, was destroyed!!!, with Anakin's crying when his mother died or when Padme was conforting him at the homestead, and even when Dorme cries.
- We get to know Padme and Obi-Wan much better in this movie.
- We see C3PO and R2D2 interacting more, with R2D2 saving the day as usual.
- Many ties with the rest of the trilogy, including the Death Star plans.

I can't wait to see Ep. 3.

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Michael McDaid
<Send E-Mail>
(cs6668141-17.austin.rr.com)

  In Response to:
roberto

  Responses to this Comment:
Matthew
Best Star Wars?   Wednesday, May 29, 2002 (4:00 a.m.) 

Attack of the Clones the best Star Wars ever? I don't think so. It is a great movie, but it lacks the story that Episode V, IV, and VI have. It also lacks some of the humor. Though the humor is much better in this one than The Phatom Menace it doesn't match any of the humor in Episode V. I think Clones has put Star Wars back into orbit, so to speak. But it has a long way to go before it can match the orginal trilogy. Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back is the best Star Wars. It has some of the best acting (other than Mark Hamill), the best writing, the best action scences (Battle of Hoth, Duel at Bespin, Asteroid Field), the best love sequences (Han & Leia), and the best humor (Yoda). Episode IV: A New Hope is the second best. It's got good acting (Alec Guiness is da bomb), a excellent story (the force, Luke, and Han Solo), a great end (Battle of Yavin), and some excellent humor by the droids. Episode VI: Return of the Jedi is the third best. It wraps up the whole story. Luke & Leia are brother and sister, their dad is Darth Vader, Yoda dies, Darth Vader saves his son, and the Emperor becomes to cocky. Episdoe II: Attack of the Clones is the fourth best. It has a great Jedi scence (Dooku & Yoda), a aweome chase scence (Zam the Assasin & the Chase Through Courscant), a good story, some cute humor, and some very good acting (Ewan McGregor, Samuel L. Jackson, and Christopher Lee). Episode I: The Phatom Menace is the worst so far. Other than two great scences: the Duel with Darth Maul and the Podracing scence this movie was way to long. Took to long explaining cetain things. Like we didn't know the Emperor was going to become Chancellor. And their was no suspense: Anakin is going to win the podrace, Qui-Gon has to die, and Obi-Wan has to live. Anyway that's my two cents.

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Matthew
<Send E-Mail>
(dial-111.r4.ncreed.infoave.net)
Profile Picture
  In Response to:
Michael McDaid
Re: Best Star Wars?   Wednesday, June 19, 2002 (5:50 p.m.) 

Couldn't have said it better myself. Except for the podracing part, the movie could have done without that.

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display



Copyright © 1998-2019, Filmtracks Publications. All rights reserved.
The reviews and other textual content contained on the filmtracks.com site may not be published, broadcast,
rewritten or redistributed without the prior written authority of Christian Clemmensen at Filmtracks Publications. Scoreboard created 7/24/98 and last updated 4/25/15.