SUPPORT FILMTRACKS! WE EARN A
COMMISSION ON WHAT YOU BUY:
Amazon.com
Amazon.co.uk
eBay
Amazon.ca
Glisten Effect
Editorial Reviews
Scoreboard Forum
Viewer Ratings
Composers
Awards
   NEWEST MAJOR REVIEWS:
     1. Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker
    2. Ford v Ferrari
   3. Maleficent: Mistress of Evil
  4. The Addams Family
 5. Joker
6. It: Chapter Two
   CURRENT MOST POPULAR REVIEWS:
         1. Gladiator
        2. Batman
       3. Nightmare Before Christmas
      4. Titanic
     5. Justice League
    6. Star Wars: The Last Jedi
   7. Harry Potter: Sorcerer's Stone
  8. Maleficent
 9. Star Wars: The Force Awakens
10. Edward Scissorhands
Home Page
Menu Options ▼
Comments about the soundtrack for The Green Mile (Thomas Newman)
Who are you to judge?

Dr. Rollo Tumase'
(ppp04-394.algx.iadfw.net)


  Responses to this Comment:
Mark
S.king
plindboe
blackraven
Who are you to judge?   Thursday, June 14, 2001 (11:03 p.m.) 

After reading several reveiws on several movies, one question keeps invading my mind. Do any of you "crititcs" compose music? You complain that this score is to creepy and morbid. But isn't that the movie? Last I recall the movie wasn't to happy or uplifting. Or maybe you guys would preferr John Williams, wich is the mainstream almost the "pop" composer of movies. It's humorus to hear you guys complain that the score is to boring just to listen to alone. Am I even to ask are any of you critics at the very least any type of musician?
Don't try and criticize what you can't comprehend.

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Mark
(64-121-48-207.c3-0.snmt-ubr1.sfrn
-snmt.ca.cable.rcn.com)

  In Response to:
Dr. Rollo Tumase'

  Responses to this Comment:
Sam Bourne
Re: Who are you to judge?   Monday, June 10, 2002 (3:47 p.m.) 

> After reading several reveiws on several movies, one question keeps
> invading my mind. Do any of you "crititcs" compose music? You
> complain that this score is to creepy and morbid. But isn't that the
> movie? Last I recall the movie wasn't to happy or uplifting. Or maybe you
> guys would preferr John Williams, wich is the mainstream almost the
> "pop" composer of movies. It's humorus to hear you guys complain
> that the score is to boring just to listen to alone. Am I even to ask are
> any of you critics at the very least any type of musician?
Don't try
> and criticize what you can't comprehend.

Nowhere did we say that we consider ourselves experts on the topic. Our opinions are not truths. They are opinions. As "crititcs" most of us probably do not compose music. This is not to say we do not know music; most film music enthusiasts probably do know music, have studied at least one instrument, and at the very least, listen to it rather frequently. And I suppose you think you are the only one who can comprehend this music? You seem very knowledgeable about music, posting at a score site an insult to everyone else. Let's see your credentials. Your Masters in Music Theory? How about your Symphony in D# minor? I'm finding this quite "humorus."

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Sam Bourne
<Send E-Mail>
(a80-126-129-4.adsl.xs4all.nl)

  In Response to:
Mark
My opinion   Monday, March 8, 2004 (11:04 a.m.) 

I just wanted to say that I think this film soundtrack is amazing. Tracks like track 2, 16, 18, 20, 32 they are amazing and have so much feeling to it and they bring out so many different emotions during the course of the songs especially in track 32 which is a long track and if I would also say maybe the critics didn't listen to it much because like with all music you need to get used to it maybe watch the film a few more times and you will feel the music more, I also think it's wrong to say that maybe Thomas Newman wasn't trying as much as in other films because I also have the soundtrack for the shawshank redemption and that is also very good but there is no way that the green mile soundtrack can'b as good, I recogn he put a lot of work into writing the music to the green mile.
Samuel;)

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


S.king
<Send E-Mail>
(cache7-nott.server.ntli.net)

  In Response to:
Dr. Rollo Tumase'
Re: Who are you to judge?   Monday, December 16, 2002 (6:01 p.m.) 

ok, i agree with this guy.

how can you judge a score on its own, how can you say that a score is too slow,too fast, too light hearted in a certain area, when we ALL know that a movie score is actually performed as the movie is played infront of the orchestra. you should be reviewing the score for people who watch the movies and want to buy it because of the movie, not because they have bought it out of curioustiy.

as a film maker, i know how the movie industry works especially the musical side and the composers, all i can say is...judge the music on the Movie that it has come from, because 9 out of 10, it will be people who love the movie that is buying the score.

its not a bad site all together though

keep reviewing

Stewart King

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


plindboe
(62.79.74.203)

  In Response to:
Dr. Rollo Tumase'
Calm down! It's only opinions.   Saturday, February 1, 2003 (5:34 p.m.) 

I don't agree that you have to be a composer to review a score. That's like saying that only a chef can taste if food are good or not. Also these score reviews are intended to review how the music works as a standalone listening experience, and not how the music works in the movie, so calling the music too creepy and morbid is a valid argument. Often though I get the feeling that many of these reviewers only listen to the scores 3 or 4 times before writing their reviews, so they don't really get the score, and it sometimes results in low ratings for excellent scores(For instance Mission to Mars). But still, it's only opinions, so it's nothing to take too seriously. And if you take them seriously, then I advice you simply not to read them.

plindboe

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


blackraven
<Send E-Mail>
(dyn007061.ipfw.edu)

  In Response to:
Dr. Rollo Tumase'
Re: Who are you to judge?   Friday, August 1, 2003 (6:55 p.m.) 

> After reading several reveiws on several movies, one question keeps
> invading my mind. Do any of you "crititcs" compose music? You
> complain that this score is to creepy and morbid. But isn't that the
> movie? Last I recall the movie wasn't to happy or uplifting. Or maybe you
> guys would preferr John Williams, wich is the mainstream almost the
> "pop" composer of movies. It's humorus to hear you guys complain
> that the score is to boring just to listen to alone. Am I even to ask are
> any of you critics at the very least any type of musician?
Don't try
> and criticize what you can't comprehend.

I agree totally with the Dr.! So many are quick witted and judge only from their own feelings and thoughts and not the actual art of things.

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display



Copyright © 1998-2020, Filmtracks Publications. All rights reserved.
The reviews and other textual content contained on the filmtracks.com site may not be published, broadcast,
rewritten or redistributed without the prior written authority of Christian Clemmensen at Filmtracks Publications. Scoreboard created 7/24/98 and last updated 4/25/15.