SUPPORT FILMTRACKS! CLICK HERE FIRST:
Amazon.com
Amazon.co.uk
iTunes (U.S.)
Amazon.ca
Amazon.fr
eBay (U.S.)
Amazon.de
Amazon.es
Half.com
Glisten Effect
Editorial Reviews
Scoreboard Forum
Viewer Ratings
Composers
Awards
   NEWEST MAJOR REVIEWS:
     1. Godzilla: King of the Monsters
    2. Aladdin (2019)
   3. Pokémon Detective Pikachu
  4. Avengers: Endgame
 5. Shazam!
6. Dumbo
   CURRENT MOST POPULAR REVIEWS:
         1. Gladiator
        2. Batman
       3. Nightmare Before Christmas
      4. Titanic
     5. Justice League
    6. Star Wars: The Last Jedi
   7. Harry Potter: Sorcerer's Stone
  8. Maleficent
 9. Star Wars: The Force Awakens
10. Edward Scissorhands
Home Page
Menu Options ▼
Comments about the soundtrack for The Matrix Revolutions (Don Davis)
OSCAR

Levente Benedek
<Send E-Mail>
(ktv32-220-77.catv-pool.axelero.hu)


  Responses to this Comment:
Christian Kühn
The Dark Agent
OSCAR   Thursday, November 6, 2003 (2:12 p.m.) 

It seems that Don Davis want to have a nomination for next year. He sure did a great job with this score. Altough the film wasnt that good after all.
Navras is awesome.

Levente

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Christian Kühn
<Send E-Mail>
(2.vauban.fr.studentenwohnheim-bw.
de)
Profile Picture
  In Response to:
Levente Benedek

  Responses to this Comment:
Zephros
Unfortunately, it will be ineligible. *NM*   Saturday, November 8, 2003 (7:49 a.m.) 



Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Zephros
(dialup-187.134.221.203.acc02-neer
-bal.comindico.com.au)

  In Response to:
Christian Kühn

  Responses to this Comment:
Matt Newman
That's not true   Saturday, November 8, 2003 (4:47 p.m.) 

That isn't true. An Oscar for a sequel is only ineligible in this case when the original movie recieved a nomination or award for the score. And if I am correct (if I am not, please correct) The Matrix didn't recieve either of these. So it is entirely possible for either The Matrix Reloaded OR The Matrix Revolutions to recieve an Oscar nomination. It all depends on which the Academy deems a more worthwhile score.

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Matt Newman
(cache-syd-aa02.proxy.aol.com)

  In Response to:
Zephros

  Responses to this Comment:
Tomek
Re: That's not true   Wednesday, November 19, 2003 (1:10 a.m.) 

And what you say isn't true either, as a film can be nominated if the film before it was nominated or won an oscar. Look at Star wars: A New Hope, it won an oscar and its sequal The Empire Strikes Back, was also nominated and I think Return of the Jedi was also. The entire Indiana Jones Trilogy was mominated on their releases. There are more examples, but just needed to clear that up.

> That isn't true. An Oscar for a sequel is only ineligible in this case
> when the original movie recieved a nomination or award for the score. And
> if I am correct (if I am not, please correct) The Matrix didn't recieve
> either of these. So it is entirely possible for either The Matrix Reloaded
> OR The Matrix Revolutions to recieve an Oscar nomination. It all
> depends on which the Academy deems a more worthwhile score.


Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Tomek
<Send E-Mail>
(re202.neoplus.adsl.tpnet.pl)

  In Response to:
Matt Newman

  Responses to this Comment:
Matt Newman
Re: That's not true   Thursday, November 20, 2003 (11:50 p.m.) 

> And what you say isn't true either, as a film can be nominated if the film
> before it was nominated or won an oscar. Look at Star wars: A New Hope, it
> won an oscar and its sequal The Empire Strikes Back, was also nominated
> and I think Return of the Jedi was also. The entire Indiana Jones Trilogy
> was mominated on their releases. There are more examples, but just needed
> to clear that up.

But it was in old past and there were no rules reffering to the sequels or film series. Academy made up this rule probably becase increasing number of sequels, prequels and film series of any kind. They probably wanted to give more spotlight on fresh and original ideas over the re-used ones. Sometimes it has better and sometimes worse side.

Tomek


Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Matt Newman
(cache-syd-aa02.proxy.aol.com)

  In Response to:
Tomek

  Responses to this Comment:
Kevin_H
Re: That's not true   Saturday, November 22, 2003 (7:56 p.m.) 

Well if it doesn't count for today's times, only the past...then I guess movies like LORD OF THE RINGS have been let in both 2002 and 2003's Oscars by mistake lol. "Fellowship of the Ring" was nominated for many oscars including best picture and won 4..."The Two Towers" is it's sequal and was also nominated and won oscars this yr in 2003...and no doubt "The Return of the King" will be nominated and win some also. Another includes "Star Wars Episode 1" which was nominated in 2000 (lost to "The Matrix" that yr), and it's sequal "Star Wars Episode 2" got nominated this yr.
So sequals in today's society can be nominated and indeed win if they are worthy in the AMPAS's eyes and judgement, who sometimes pick the wrong winners may I say...and let pathetic films such as "chicago" win rather than "The Two Towers" which was a much greater film in my opinion...and there are other films worthy of wins that didn't.

> But it was in old past and there were no rules reffering to the sequels or
> film series. Academy made up this rule probably becase increasing number
> of sequels, prequels and film series of any kind. They probably wanted to
> give more spotlight on fresh and original ideas over the re-used ones.
> Sometimes it has better and sometimes worse side.

> Tomek


Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Kevin_H
<Send E-Mail>
(h-67-100-121-193.phlapafg.dynamic
.covad.net)

  In Response to:
Matt Newman

  Responses to this Comment:
Matt
Re: That's not true   Sunday, November 23, 2003 (9:21 p.m.) 

The music branch of the Acadamy changed there rules about nominating sequels. This rule does not apply to the rest of the acadamy, since each branch makes the rules for each catagory. That's how "The Two Towers" were allowed to have Best Picture, best Art Direction, and Best Visual Effects nominations (as did "Fellowship of the Ring") but was ineligable for a Best Musical Score oscar, as will "Return of the King".

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Matt
(cache-syd-aa02.proxy.aol.com)

  In Response to:
Kevin_H

  Responses to this Comment:
Tomek
Re: That's not true   Monday, November 24, 2003 (5:43 p.m.) 

Well The Matrix Reloaded can be nominated(if the AMPAS decide it's good enough which I believe is the best score so far this year) for the Original score, as the original Matrix film was not nominated in this category.

> The music branch of the Acadamy changed there rules about nominating
> sequels. This rule does not apply to the rest of the acadamy, since each
> branch makes the rules for each catagory. That's how "The Two
> Towers" were allowed to have Best Picture, best Art Direction, and
> Best Visual Effects nominations (as did "Fellowship of the
> Ring") but was ineligable for a Best Musical Score oscar, as will
> "Return of the King".


Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Tomek
<Send E-Mail>
(zw17.neoplus.adsl.tpnet.pl)

  In Response to:
Matt
Re: That's not true   Thursday, November 27, 2003 (11:13 p.m.) 

> Well The Matrix Reloaded can be nominated(if the AMPAS decide it's good
> enough which I believe is the best score so far this year) for the
> Original score, as the original Matrix film was not nominated in this
> category.

I also consider The Matrix Reloaded as a best score of this year (haven't heard ROTK though), but do You really believe that this score will be nominated? Firstly, the film, and probably score which is far away from traditional "oscar-nominated film score" I'm sure Academy memembers didn't like and probably have in low regards & secondly - as far as I know Matrix producers decided that The Matrix Revolutions will be the Oscar contender in technical categories, because they could have (due to marketing things I think) only enter one sequel for the Oscar-run (and IMHO it's mistake, because visually and technically Reloaded is much superior to this weak 3rd sequel). Make your own conclusions


Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


The Dark Agent
(dhcp-128-194-5-173.resnet.tamu.ed
u)
Profile Picture
  In Response to:
Levente Benedek
Oscar 'official' score rules   Monday, December 8, 2003 (4:32 a.m.) 

To put an end to the ongoing argument over the eligibility of The Matrix Revolutions score, check out the official rules over that the site yourself. The links right here. http://www.oscars.org/76academyawards/rules/rule16.html

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display



Copyright © 1998-2019, Filmtracks Publications. All rights reserved.
The reviews and other textual content contained on the filmtracks.com site may not be published, broadcast,
rewritten or redistributed without the prior written authority of Christian Clemmensen at Filmtracks Publications. Scoreboard created 7/24/98 and last updated 4/25/15.