SUPPORT FILMTRACKS! WE EARN A
COMMISSION ON WHAT YOU BUY:
Amazon.com
Amazon.co.uk
eBay
Amazon.ca
Glisten Effect
Editorial Reviews
Scoreboard Forum
Viewer Ratings
Composers
Awards
   NEWEST MAJOR REVIEWS:
     1. Little Women
    2. Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker
   3. Jumanji: The Next Level
  4. Knives Out
 5. Frozen II
6. Ford v Ferrari


   CURRENT BEST-SELLING SCORES:
       1. Godzilla: King of the Monsters
      2. Romeo and Juliet
     3. The Monkey King
    4. John Williams in Vienna
   5. Space Battleship Yamato
  6. Willow
 7. Ready Player One
8. Ghostbusters
   CURRENT MOST POPULAR REVIEWS:
         1. How to Train Your Dragon
        2. Nightmare Before Christmas
       3. Gladiator
      4. Alice in Wonderland
     5. Harry Potter: Sorcerer's Stone
    6. Superman
   7. LOTR: Return of the King
  8. Titanic
 9. Raiders of the Lost Ark
10. Joker
Home Page
Menu Options ▼
Comments about the soundtrack for The Musketeer (David Arnold)
What about...

Brendan Anderson
<Send E-Mail>
(146-122.campus.augsburg.edu)
Profile Picture

  Responses to this Comment:
Jockolantern
What about...   Sunday, September 2, 2001 (5:12 p.m.) 

Hey Christian! You forgot to mention the great sub-themes in this score...all the little motifs that appear in "Carraige Chase" and ESPECIALLY the AWESOME sub-theme in "Fight Inn" which appears before the cue ends so abruptly.

You're right about the quieter sections though...kind of forgettable...too bad he couldn't re-create "Kowloon Bay" or "Last of the Dogmen"...oh well. This score is still very very very good

-Brendan

p.s. check out another opinion people..link below:

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Jockolantern
<Send E-Mail>
(gnr-cap-81.wyoming.com)

  In Response to:
Brendan Anderson

  Responses to this Comment:
Brendan Anderson
Aww, quit your babyin' boy!   Sunday, September 2, 2001 (7:12 p.m.) 

You're just mad because my favorite composer's summer movie score (Elliot Goldenthal w/ Final Fantasy: TSW) got a higher rating than your favorite movie composer's summer movie. Admit it! Hehe. Ok, I know you won't admit it, but deep down, you know I'm right.

Sayonara!
Jockolantern

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Brendan Anderson
<Send E-Mail>
(146-122.campus.augsburg.edu)
Profile Picture
  In Response to:
Jockolantern

  Responses to this Comment:
Jockolantern
Re: No, quit your blabbering and answer my questions...   Sunday, September 2, 2001 (10:24 p.m.) 

> You're just mad because my favorite composer's summer movie score (Elliot
> Goldenthal w/ Final Fantasy: TSW) got a higher rating than your favorite
> movie composer's summer movie.

Sure...I'm really concerned about you and you alone Jocko...oh, by the way, are you going to allow the sun to rise and set on your fat head tomorrow? I thought I'd check with you first before I made any outdoor plans...

> Admit it!

Admit what? All I'm asking is why Christian's review overlooked some very fine points of the score which make it a more enjoyable listening experience...not addressing the sub-themes and small motivic developments of the action cues makes this review lacking in providing an accurate discription and analysis of the score as a whole. I could care less what anyone thinks of the score, but at LEAST let people know what's in it instead of comparing it to Independence Day for 3 paragraphs...

-Brendan

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Jockolantern
<Send E-Mail>
(gnr-cap-8.wyoming.com)

  In Response to:
Brendan Anderson

  Responses to this Comment:
chris
C. Hook
"Oooooh! Now he's mad!"   Monday, September 3, 2001 (9:03 a.m.) 

> Sure...I'm really concerned about you and you alone Jocko...oh, by the
> way, are you going to allow the sun to rise and set on your fat head
> tomorrow? I thought I'd check with you first before I made any outdoor
> plans...

Ah, yes. Isn't everyone concerned about me in one way or another?? I know, my endless knowledge is just too boundless for you guys. lol j/k But, my head isn't all that fat, so I don't see any validity in your above statement. . .

> Admit what? All I'm asking is why Christian's review overlooked some very
> fine points of the score which make it a more enjoyable listening
> experience...not addressing the sub-themes and small motivic developments
> of the action cues makes this review lacking in providing an accurate
> discription and analysis of the score as a whole. I could care less what
> anyone thinks of the score, but at LEAST let people know what's in it
> instead of comparing it to Independence Day for 3 paragraphs...

And all I'm saying is that I was just joking around in that previous post. I thought it practically seeped over with sarcasm! ^_^ And, about the action cues bit. . . I see plenty of small motivic developments in the Total Recall and many Elliot Goldenthal action cue moments. So, why don't you?? Just a thought. . .

Sayonara!
Jockolantern


Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


chris
(203.213.0.3)

  In Response to:
Jockolantern

  Responses to this Comment:
Brendan Anderson
Quit Bitching: Dogmans Best   Wednesday, September 5, 2001 (3:25 a.m.) 

> Ah, yes. Isn't everyone concerned about me in one way or another?? I
> know, my endless knowledge is just too boundless for you guys. lol j/k
> But, my head isn't all that fat, so I don't see any validity in your above
> statement. . .

> And all I'm saying is that I was just joking around in that previous post.
> I thought it practically seeped over with sarcasm! ^_^ And, about the
> action cues bit. . . I see plenty of small motivic developments in the
> Total Recall and many Elliot Goldenthal action cue moments. So, why
> don't you?? Just a thought. . .

> Sayonara!
:| Jockolantern

Some interesting comments here kids, but the only one of any worth is
the mention of LAST OF THE DOGMEN which must surely be Arnold's best piece
of work, it's certainly the only one years later that still gives me that
unique "tingle down the spine" factor that all great music should give!


Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Brendan Anderson
<Send E-Mail>
(146-122.campus.augsburg.edu)
Profile Picture
  In Response to:
chris

  Responses to this Comment:
decalz
Jeron
Dogman's good, but not best...   Wednesday, September 5, 2001 (7:53 p.m.) 

> Some interesting comments here kids,

Gee, thanks "dad."

> but the only one of any worth is
> the mention of LAST OF THE DOGMEN which must surely be Arnold's best
> piece of work, it's certainly the only one years later that still
> gives me that unique "tingle down the spine" factor that all
> great music should give!

Dogmen is great, and I feel it's best when listend to straight through in its entirety...individual cues may be a bit lacking on their own, but as a whole the score IS indeed fantastic...some of the slow driving cues with blasting brass are awe-inspiring.

But I think Tomorrow Never Dies, Stargate, and Independence Day can all tie for some of Arnold's best work...but ANY exercise in finding Arnold's "best" is kind of a futile endeavor considering most EVERYTHING he's written is very high quality.

-Brendan

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


decalz
<Send E-Mail>
(mplsdslgw18poold112.mpls.uswest.n
et)

  In Response to:
Brendan Anderson
Re: Dogman's good, but not best...   Thursday, September 6, 2001 (3:07 p.m.) 

> But I think Tomorrow Never Dies, Stargate, and Independence Day can all
> tie for some of Arnold's best work...but ANY exercise in finding Arnold's
> "best" is kind of a futile endeavor considering most EVERYTHING
> he's written is very high quality.

You should ask David Arnold out on a date to the movies. (=

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Jeron
<Send E-Mail>
(adsl-66-123-54-131.dsl.lsan03.pac
bell.net)
Profile Picture
  In Response to:
Brendan Anderson

  Responses to this Comment:
Brendan Anderson
Re: Dogman's good, but not best... <- **debatable**   Sunday, September 9, 2001 (1:43 a.m.) 

> But I think Tomorrow Never Dies, Stargate, and Independence Day can all
> tie for some of Arnold's best work...but ANY exercise in finding Arnold's
> "best" is kind of a futile endeavor considering most EVERYTHING
> he's written is very high quality.

It should be noted that Last of the Dogmen remains one of the composer's personal favorites. What makes his score for Tab Murphy's beautiful film even more magnificent is the fact that it was written in a completely uninspiring, dreary hotel room.

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


Brendan Anderson
<Send E-Mail>
(146-122.campus.augsburg.edu)
Profile Picture
  In Response to:
Jeron
Re: Dogman's good, but not best... <- **debatable**   Sunday, September 9, 2001 (8:09 a.m.) 

> It should be noted that Last of the Dogmen remains one of the composer's
> personal favorites. What makes his score for Tab Murphy's beautiful film
> even more magnificent is the fact that it was written in a completely
> uninspiring, dreary hotel room.

As was Independence Day and I'm sure a couple of others...Arnold must have a knack for hotel room writing...

...oh, and when you're making roughly $300,000 per film score, I kind of doubt that the hotel room was too dreary

-Brendan


Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display


C. Hook
<Send E-Mail>
(cce03.racsa.co.cr)
Profile Picture
  In Response to:
Jockolantern
Jocko, you have a fat head?   Wednesday, September 5, 2001 (10:43 p.m.) 

I wonder how Brendan knows that.

C. Hook

Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded display



Copyright © 1998-2020, Filmtracks Publications. All rights reserved.
The reviews and other textual content contained on the filmtracks.com site may not be published, broadcast,
rewritten or redistributed without the prior written authority of Christian Clemmensen at Filmtracks Publications. Scoreboard created 7/24/98 and last updated 4/25/15.