Glisten Effect
Editorial Reviews
Scoreboard Forum
Viewer Ratings
Composers
Awards
   NEWEST MAJOR REVIEWS:
     1. Luck
    2. Thirteen Lives
   3. DC League of Super-Pets
  4. Nope
 5. The Man From Toronto
6. Minions: The Rise of Gru
   CURRENT MOST POPULAR REVIEWS:
         1. Dune (2021)
        2. Spider-Man
       3. Alice in Wonderland
      4. Encanto
     5. Batman
    6. Wonder Woman 1984
   7. No Time to Die
  8. Ghostbusters: Afterlife
 9. Murder on the Orient Express
10. LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring
Home Page
Archives:   2000-2006 | 2006-2015 | 2015-2021
Menu Options ▼
Monday Movie Post: Debut Animation Films

Steven P.
(050-089-028-044.res.spectrum.com)
Profile Picture

  Responses to this Message:
James Charles Taylor
Clint Morgan
Jerome
Monday Movie Post: Debut Animation Films   Monday, November 8, 2021 (3:17 p.m.) 
• Now Playing: Eternals - Djawadi  

I'm not sure if there are a lot of fans of animated films around here, but I had this idea to rank the debut animated feature films of the major animation studios, and see how they stack up.

Here's what I came up with:

1. Toy Story (Pixar)
The start of not only one of the best animated series, but one the best film series in general.

2. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (Disney)
Got to give credit to the one that started in all, and set the template for Disney animated films. It actually still holds up pretty well too.

3. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (Warner Animation)
Not just a great animated film, but a great Batman film too.

4. Nausicca of the Valley of the Wind (Studio Ghibli)
One of my favorites from the studio.

5. Antz (Dreamworks)
Haven't seen this one in years, but I remember liking it and the score is great.

6. Coraline (Laika animation)
Great stop motion work and a wonderful spooky animated film that works for all ages.

7. The Secret of NIMH (Bluth animation)
This money freaked me out as a kid, and haven't seen it in full as an adult. I like some Bluth animation films a lot more, but this was just ok.

8. Ice Age (Blue Sky)
It was a funny, enjoyable film. But it didn't need 4 sequels.

9. Despicable Me (Illumination)
I never got the popularity of this film or the minion characters in general. The only animation studio on the list without an animated film I really feel in love with (altought they're one of the newest studios).

10. Open Season
This is at the bottom because I've actually never seen it. Worth checking out?

How would you rank the debut films of animation studios? Any studios that should be included?


Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded Display


James Charles Taylor
<Send E-Mail>
(180.191.190.68)
Profile Picture
  In Response to:
Steven P.

  Responses to this Message:
Steven P.
Re: Monday Movie Post: Debut Animation Films   Monday, November 8, 2021 (4:36 p.m.) 
• Now Playing: Bitter Harvest - Benjamin Wallfisch  

> Any studios that should be included?

Where would Ron's Gone Wrong (by Locksmith), Chicken Run (by Aardman; this is their feature film debut), and Wish Dragon (by Base FX, co-produced with Sony Pictures Animation) place in your list?


Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded Display


Steven P.
(050-089-028-044.res.spectrum.com)
Profile Picture
  In Response to:
James Charles Taylor

  Responses to this Message:
James Charles Taylor
Re: Monday Movie Post: Debut Animation Films   Monday, November 8, 2021 (6:59 p.m.) 

> Where would Ron's Gone Wrong (by Locksmith), Chicken Run (by
> Aardman; this is their feature film debut), and Wish Dragon (by
> Base FX, co-produced with Sony Pictures Animation) place in your list?

I haven't seen Ron's Gone Wrong (is it just me or does that character look like the same one in Spies in Disguise) or Wish Dragon yet.

Chicken Run would be right under Coraline on my list. I liked it the one and only time I watched it.


Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded Display


James Charles Taylor
<Send E-Mail>
(180.191.190.68)
Profile Picture
  In Response to:
Steven P.
Re: Monday Movie Post: Debut Animation Films   Tuesday, November 9, 2021 (9:53 p.m.) 

> Is it just me or does that character look like the same one in Spies in Disguise?

The character designs are more of a coincidence to me.



Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded Display


Clint Morgan
<Send E-Mail>
(67.211.83.22)
Profile Picture
  In Response to:
Steven P.
Re: Monday Movie Post: Debut Animation Films   Monday, November 8, 2021 (5:01 p.m.) 

> I'm not sure if there are a lot of fans of animated films around here, but I had this idea to rank the debut animated feature films of the major animation studios, and see how they stack up.

> Here's what I came up with:

> 1. Toy Story (Pixar)
> The start of not only one of the best animated series, but one the best film series in general.

I remember seeing this in the theater and getting really creeped out by the, shall we say, 'unloved' toys. *shivers*

> 2. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (Disney)
> Got to give credit to the one that started in all, and set the template for Disney animated films. It actually still holds up pretty well too.

I was crazy for this movie as a very small kid. Watched it again on Disney+ recently and I agree that it still holds up. The queen/witch's transformation scene is STILL genuinely frightening.

> 3. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (Warner Animation)
> Not just a great animated film, but a great Batman film too.

Still haven't seen it... Never was much of a Batman fan.

> 4. Nausicca of the Valley of the Wind (Studio Ghibli)
> One of my favorites from the studio.

Such an underrated classic. Hisaishi's score is kinda all over the place (in context anyway); the concert suite presentation of the music is much better.

> 6. Coraline (Laika animation)
> Great stop motion work and a wonderful spooky animated film that works for all ages.

Both film and score are underrated.

> 7. The Secret of NIMH (Bluth animation)
> This money freaked me out as a kid, and haven't seen it in full as an adult. I like some Bluth animation films a lot more, but this was just ok.

Watching it now makes me appreciate just how effective Goldsmith's score is. 'The House Raising' especially gives me goosebumps.

> How would you rank the debut films of animation studios? Any studios that should be included?

As James mentioned, Chicken Run deserves a place on this list. smile



Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded Display


Jerome
(147.161.180.117)
Profile Picture
  In Response to:
Steven P.

  Responses to this Message:
Steven P.
Re: Monday Movie Post: Debut Animation Films   Tuesday, November 9, 2021 (1:00 a.m.) 

> I'm not sure if there are a lot of fans of animated films around here,
Of course there are !

> Here's what I came up with:

> 1. Toy Story (Pixar)
> The start of not only one of the best animated series, but one the best
> film series in general.

agreed !

> 2. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (Disney)
> Got to give credit to the one that started in all, and set the template
> for Disney animated films. It actually still holds up pretty well too.

Not a favorite of mine but you can't deny the importance of this movie in cinema's history.

> 3. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (Warner Animation)
> Not just a great animated film, but a great Batman film too.

not sure if I saw this one. maybe as a kid... seeing it so high in your list makes me want to seek it out.

> 4. Nausicca of the Valley of the Wind (Studio Ghibli)
> One of my favorites from the studio.

I love this one. Probably higher in my my list.

> 5. Antz (Dreamworks)
> Haven't seen this one in years, but I remember liking it and the score is
> great.

After double checking I am just surprised to realise this one and not Prince of Egypt was the first Dreamworks featured animation... Very fun film by the way. I remember the fight with "a bug's life" at the time, but those are 2 very different films that are both very enjoyable.

> 6. Coraline (Laika animation)
> Great stop motion work and a wonderful spooky animated film that works for
> all ages.

a very good start for a studio that remained stable in quality

> 7. The Secret of NIMH (Bluth animation)
> This money freaked me out as a kid, and haven't seen it in full as an
> adult. I like some Bluth animation films a lot more, but this was just ok.

same for me, I keep the memory of a dark movie from my first watches as a kid. Seen it again at older age, and still find it dark but also good.

> 8. Ice Age (Blue Sky)
> It was a funny, enjoyable film. But it didn't need 4 sequels.

yep.

> How would you rank the debut films of animation studios? Any studios that
> should be included?

I would have added "the secret of kells" by cartoon saloon.
Very nice movie, very graphic and the start of a series of movies, all involving director Tomm Moore that are also gems of animation. Plus contribution of Bruno Coulais (except for "the prophet")for those flicks is top notch !



Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded Display


Steven P.
(050-089-028-044.res.spectrum.com)
Profile Picture
  In Response to:
Jerome
Re: Monday Movie Post: Debut Animation Films   Tuesday, November 9, 2021 (2:46 p.m.) 
• Now Playing: Last Duel - Gregson-Williams  

> I would have added 'the secret of kells' by cartoon saloon.
> Very nice movie, very graphic and the start of a series of movies, all
> involving director Tomm Moore that are also gems of animation. Plus
> contribution of Bruno Coulais (except for 'the prophet')for those flicks
> is top notch !

Thanks for the responses. I always meant to check out Secret of the Kells but never got around to it, so I'll need to rectify that.


Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded Display



Copyright © 1998-2022, Filmtracks Publications. All rights reserved.
The reviews and other textual content contained on the filmtracks.com site may not be published, broadcast,
rewritten or redistributed without the prior written authority of Christian Clemmensen at Filmtracks Publications. Scoreboard created 7/24/98 and last updated 4/25/15.
Filmtracks takes no responsibility for any offense or mental trauma caused by this forum. Behold the Scoreboard motto to better understand why this party is relentlessly trolled.