Glisten Effect
Editorial Reviews
Scoreboard Forum
Viewer Ratings
Composers
Awards
   NEWEST MAJOR REVIEWS:
     1. The Woman King
    2. Samaritan
   3. The Gray Man
  4. Prey
 5. Bullet Train
6. Luck
   CURRENT MOST POPULAR REVIEWS:
         1. Dune (2021)
        2. Spider-Man
       3. Alice in Wonderland
      4. Encanto
     5. Batman
    6. Wonder Woman 1984
   7. No Time to Die
  8. Ghostbusters: Afterlife
 9. Murder on the Orient Express
10. LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring
Home Page
Archives:   2000-2006 | 2006-2015 | 2015-2021
Menu Options ▼
Lorne Balfe - Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning

Master Composer
(201.130.59.177)
Profile Picture

  Responses to this Message:
A Loony Trombonist
Riley KZ
BeeGee
Cole McLeod
Lorne Balfe - Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning   Tuesday, May 24, 2022 (5:58 a.m.) 

Yesterday, we just saw the first trailer for "Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning", which will be the seventh film in this "Impossible" franchise, set to premiered on 2023. Also, it has been confirmed that Lorne Balfe, will return to create the soundtrack for this film, which is going to be separated in two parts.

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2020/05/13/lorne-balfe-to-return-for-christopher-mcquarries-mission-impossible-7-8/

Thoughts?


Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded Display


A Loony Trombonist
<Send E-Mail>
(199.119.28.106)

  In Response to:
Master Composer
Re: Lorne Balfe - Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning   Tuesday, May 24, 2022 (6:14 a.m.) 

It still makes me mad/sad thinking about the endless lost possibilities of Joe Kraemer scoring these (and Fallout). Instead, we get Balfe, who has ensured that the intelligence of the MI franchise's music drops back to the lows of the migraine-inducing mess of Zimmer's MI2.



Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded Display


Riley KZ
(xplr-47-160-168-69.xplornet.com)
Profile Picture
  In Response to:
Master Composer
Re: Lorne Balfe - Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning   Tuesday, May 24, 2022 (9:02 a.m.) 

> Yesterday, we just saw the first trailer for 'Mission Impossible: Dead
> Reckoning', which will be the seventh film in this 'Impossible' franchise,
> set to premiered on 2023. Also, it has been confirmed that Lorne Balfe,
> will return to create the soundtrack for this film, which is going to be
> separated in two parts.

>
> http://filmmusicreporter.com/2020/05/13/lorne-balfe-to-return-for-christopher-mcquarries-mission-impossible-7-8/

> Thoughts?

Conflicted a bit, because while I didn't much like his last MI score, I also have grown to appreciate Balfe's work a lot more since then, and it seems like he's continually getting better.

So as long as McQuarrie doesn't insist on more "dark ominous Zimmer sounds" throughout again, then I'm looking forward to it!


Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded Display


BeeGee
(whistle-stop-out.uiowa.edu)

  In Response to:
Master Composer

  Responses to this Message:
AhN
Re: Lorne Balfe - Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning   Tuesday, May 24, 2022 (9:27 a.m.) 

In defense of Balfe:

My heart has never beat faster in a movie theater than it did when 'Stairs and Rooftops' was playing in Fallout over the London chase, or the climax of that movie. Good stuff. My animal brain likes.



Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded Display


AhN
<Send E-Mail>
(nat-128-62-16-188.public.utexas.e
du)
Profile Picture
  In Response to:
BeeGee

  Responses to this Message:
ArborArcanist
Re: Lorne Balfe - Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning   Tuesday, May 24, 2022 (10:31 a.m.) 

> In defense of Balfe:

> My heart has never beat faster in a movie theater than it did when 'Stairs
> and Rooftops' was playing in Fallout over the London chase, or the climax
> of that movie. Good stuff. My animal brain likes.

Not really a fan of Fallout but "Stairs and Rooftops" is damn good. There's more Balfe on my MI playlist (shameless plug https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1HEu6d4PNCZhoTbEkjflsO?si=f63285dbe6394da2 ) than either one of the Giacchino scores, for whatever that's worth.


Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded Display


ArborArcanist
<Send E-Mail>
(s0106f85e4292d95d.ed.shawcable.ne
t)

  In Response to:
AhN

  Responses to this Message:
AhN
Re: Lorne Balfe - Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning   Tuesday, May 24, 2022 (11:56 a.m.) 

*reaction of unadulterated horror*


Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded Display


AhN
<Send E-Mail>
(nat-128-62-16-188.public.utexas.e
du)
Profile Picture
  In Response to:
ArborArcanist

  Responses to this Message:
ArborArcanist
Re: Lorne Balfe - Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning   Tuesday, May 24, 2022 (12:07 p.m.) 

> *reaction of unadulterated horror*

Okay you've gotta be specific if I make multiple statements in the post you're responding to, otherwise I have no idea how to respond! wink


Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded Display


ArborArcanist
<Send E-Mail>
(s0106f85e4292d95d.ed.shawcable.ne
t)

  In Response to:
AhN
Re: Lorne Balfe - Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning   Tuesday, May 24, 2022 (12:13 p.m.) 

> Okay you've gotta be specific if I make multiple statements in the post
> you're responding to, otherwise I have no idea how to respond! wink

Haha, you’re right!

I’m really fond of Giacchino’s work on Ghost Protocol (III is okay in my books), while outside of a few highlights (like the aforementioned Stairs and Rooftops) Fallout just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. So couldn’t resist some mock horror at Balfe outnumbering Giacchino on the playlist.


Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded Display


Cole McLeod
<Send E-Mail>
(d108-173-185-106.abhsia.telus.net)
Profile Picture
  In Response to:
Master Composer

  Responses to this Message:
ArborArcanist
Lorne Balfe - Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning   Tuesday, May 24, 2022 (1:17 p.m.) 

I liked Fallout, so curious to see what happens here. Dead Reckoning seems like an odd name for a spy film though.

Also curious how many more MI will have to come out before people stop immediately bemoaning the lack of Kraemer


Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded Display


ArborArcanist
<Send E-Mail>
(s0106f85e4292d95d.ed.shawcable.ne
t)

  In Response to:
Cole McLeod

  Responses to this Message:
Cole McLeod
Re: Lorne Balfe - Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning   Tuesday, May 24, 2022 (1:40 p.m.) 

> I liked Fallout, so curious to see what happens here. Dead Reckoning seems
> like an odd name for a spy film though.

> Also curious how many more MI will have to come out before people stop
> immediately bemoaning the lack of Kraemer

Honestly, it’s probably never going to happen. That was his best shot of becoming mainstream, and now he’s languishing in obscurity.
And considering what he’s implied McQuarrie said, it adds an extra sting to the proceedings.



Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded Display


Cole McLeod
<Send E-Mail>
(d108-173-185-106.abhsia.telus.net)
Profile Picture
  In Response to:
ArborArcanist

  Responses to this Message:
AhN
Re: Lorne Balfe - Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning   Tuesday, May 24, 2022 (2:51 p.m.) 

> Honestly, it’s probably never going to happen.

Well at least I know to settle in for the long haul haha

> That was his best shot of becoming mainstream, and now he’s languishing in obscurity.
> And considering what he’s implied McQuarrie said, it adds an extra sting
> to the proceedings.

Based on comments of his, I got the impression he’s a musical “purist” who was never going to mesh with Hollywood as it is today anyways.

What did McQuarrie say to him?


Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded Display


AhN
<Send E-Mail>
(nat-128-62-16-188.public.utexas.e
du)
Profile Picture
  In Response to:
Cole McLeod

  Responses to this Message:
Riley KZ
Cole McLeod
Re: Lorne Balfe - Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning   Tuesday, May 24, 2022 (4:00 p.m.) 

> Well at least I know to settle in for the long haul haha

> Based on comments of his, I got the impression he’s a musical “purist” who
> was never going to mesh with Hollywood as it is today anyways.

> What did McQuarrie say to him?

https://twitter.com/joekraemer/status/1354602147610980353?lang=en


Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded Display


Riley KZ
(xplr-47-160-168-69.xplornet.com)
Profile Picture
  In Response to:
AhN
Re: Lorne Balfe - Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning   Wednesday, May 25, 2022 (7:36 a.m.) 

> https://twitter.com/joekraemer/status/1354602147610980353?lang=en

"Yeah but maybe it was a misunderstanding and McQuarrie isn't a bad guy!"

*remembers he's Scientologist*

"Nah, he definitely fucked over Kramer."


Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded Display


Cole McLeod
<Send E-Mail>
(d108-173-185-106.abhsia.telus.net)
Profile Picture
  In Response to:
AhN
Re: Lorne Balfe - Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning   Wednesday, May 25, 2022 (8:47 a.m.) 

> https://twitter.com/joekraemer/status/1354602147610980353?lang=en

Ah, I remember reading that now. Those kinds of things are the reason I’ve never seriously thought of writing music in Hollywood. Feels like you sacrifice too much for a chance to get there, and it can’t do great things for your love of music. Indie projects/games seem a little safer.


Post Full Response         Edit Post         Threaded Display



Copyright © 1998-2022, Filmtracks Publications. All rights reserved.
The reviews and other textual content contained on the filmtracks.com site may not be published, broadcast,
rewritten or redistributed without the prior written authority of Christian Clemmensen at Filmtracks Publications. Scoreboard created 7/24/98 and last updated 4/25/15.
Filmtracks takes no responsibility for any offense or mental trauma caused by this forum. Behold the Scoreboard motto to better understand why this party is relentlessly trolled.