|||Newest Major Reviews:||.||||This Month's Most Popular Reviews:||||Best-Selling Albums:|
2. Jurassic World: Dominion
3. Operation Mincemeat
4. Doctor Strange: Multiverse
5. Sonic the Hedgehog 2
1. Dune (2021)|
3. Alice in Wonderland
6. Wonder Woman 1984|
7. No Time to Die
8. Ghostbusters: Afterlife
9. Murder on the Orient Express
10. LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring
1. Space Battleship Yamato|
2. John Williams in Vienna
3. Shang-Chi: Legend/Ten Rings
5. Superman (40th Anniversary)
|Notice of impending upgrade to the Scoreboard forum|
| Posted by Christian Clemmensen |
Date: Friday, July 28, 2006, at 1:54 p.m.
IP Address: chevrolet.filmtracks.com
I think I've got the software for the new Scoreboard completed a bit ahead of schedule, but the only way to really test it is to unleash it upon all of you. Early next week, I'll give a final notice on this old board and a day later the forum will be taken down for about two hours. During this changeover, neither forum will be available. Then, the new one will debut.
Other than the obvious changes to the layout and features, there are a few things you might want to know:
- Profiles will be preserved.
- Profile pictures uploaded to Filmtracks will also be preserved.
- You will no longer be able to link to pics at other sites in your profile. Those links will likely be broken. I strongly encourage you to download the pic you want to use, and then upload it to Filmtracks using either this board or the new one (remember: your uploaded pics will transfer).
- There may be a few cases of busted pic locations. The only reason I keep mentioning this is because the pic you decide to use will appear on each of your messages. If you get an avatar-styled thumbnail of your profile pic that is broken, upload again and all will be solved.
- Your post totals will be reset. All stats will start over.
- Emoticons will remain the same. Text formatting options will expand.
- The location of the new board will be different from this current board. If you've bookmarked the "main.cgi" board, you will always get this older board.
- The older board will remain in place as an archive. You can continue to view it at any time, but posting will be disallowed. It will be displayed in the new software's format.
- The new board will simply exist at www.filmtracks.com/scoreboard/. The intro page will be gone (a teaser will eventually appear on the home page).
- Additional features will continue to debut as the board succeeds in its tests (the first 500 posts will be a good test period).
- One of two technical errors I'm unsure about might involve the countlist database (which tells how many views exist for each message). That file was corrupted in early 2003, and I've used the database recovery, dump, and load utilities on the server to try to salvage that data. It looks like it's worked on the new test version of this old board, though I doubt many people here have noticed this problem anyway because so few people browse the messages from 2000 to 2001.
- The other technical error that might occur is in the script's "guestbook-style" viewing of monster threads. On my test version, the software failed to render the entire Marxist Oboe thread (with all the message bodies) on one page. But that's 400+ responses in one thread, and I'm not going to worry about failures on such rare cases. We will probably never again see 420 messages in a thread anyways... It's far ahead of all others in the new stats page (in both views and posts). The current view format (one message per page) continued to work fine on that thread.
- Your cookies may or may not be another problem. I'm going to attempt to incorporate your Scoreboard cookies with the comment area ones, so that once you have a Scoreboard profile, the comment areas will recognize you and fill in your name, e-mail, etc, into the forms there. The problem with this is that the board could possibly drop your cookie or, maybe, fail to recognize how many messages have been posted since your last visit.
- If the new board marks too many messages as "NEW" for you, there will be a button you can use to "mark all messages read" and it'll reset your cookie.
- Make sure to reset your preferences if you've set your default view of the index to something other than standard. The default view will go from "last three days" to "last X messages posted."
- The Marxist Oboe thread will be finished forever.
As always, please let me know if you encounter problems in the new board. I'll remind you of all of this again early next week... In the meantime, if you've ever wanted to respond to a post on this old Scoreboard, now is the time to do it.
|Messages in this Thread: ( Expand )|